Are there books besides Shakespeare with dialog as beautiful as Ingmar Bergma's The Seventh Seal...

Are there books besides Shakespeare with dialog as beautiful as Ingmar Bergma's The Seventh Seal? I haven't seen every movie ever made, but I assume this would have to be one of the most literary films of all time.

Attached: seventh-seal-danse-macabre-death-allegory.jpg (700x245, 13K)

Just wanted to add that I recently ordered the screenplay. Also, it's hard to imagine that there's a film that does what The Seventh Seal does better than The Seventh Seal. It's so Shakespearian, every scene is symbolic, the dialog is beautiful, and the concept is iconic. It raises beauty as a phoenix from the most desolate setting, in plague Europe, in the dark ages. It's definitely in my top 10 movies of all time, there's few films which match it.

Should watch more Bergman if you haven't, user. His "trilogy" on the Silence of God is fantastic, and so is his final major film; Fanny and Alexander.

Robert Bresson's Diary of a Country Priest is another briliant film with great dialogue, though I believe it's actually based on a book.

Faulkner and occasionally Dostoevsky

Really a great film, 'gets' the medieval mindset better than any other. Piers Plowman is similar in book form, if not so self consciously intellectual.

Do I have to be Christian to appreciate these works?

I also found similarity to Dosto. How both present the essential with such natural ease and in tempo with your emotions.

Not really. Bergman's films are universal.

Not at all. I'm an atheist and I find films and books with Christian themes to be rather beautiful sometimes. It doesn't take an faith to appreciate aesthetic beauty.

>It doesn't take an faith
It doesn't take faith*

Bergman dialog sounds like poetry, I don't know how much of that is a swedish thing and how much was him being a brilliant writer. Persona is great too.

Gormenghast and Titus Groan by Mervyn Peake.

Attached: 5502d8203f7e7822c3d46d9663f56b8d.jpg (666x1000, 105K)

>Persona is great too.
Persona is my all-time favorite film. Such a masterpiece. I worry often, however, that what I got out of the film was totally different from how other people saw it. But maybe that's a testament to its brilliance.

>When you see weakness in a hero - you are doing something to his identity. You take something away from the kids, the next generation, you steal away giving them anything to look up to... Everything is weakness and sickness to Bergman, everybody has some mental problem and all they can think about is suicide. Who'd pay for that boring stuff? I think it's too mental, damn dull entertainment. I tell you this, if I was in the house with those people in the Bergman flicks, I'd walk right out. Much less pay $5 to see them.

Attached: charles bronson.jpg (214x317, 11K)

Yeah, you're gonna definitely wanna watch the rest of Bergman, especially Devil's Eye. Movie blew me away.

"God exists only for those who believe in Him."

>You take something away from the kids, the next generation, you steal away giving them anything to look up to...
What the fuck was Bronson smoking? Bergman's never made any family-friendly films; who the fuck would take their kid to see Seventh Seal or Persona?

everyone in the west is pretty much a cultural christian without realising it

Bergman wanted to cast him. Given that he was one of the biggest box office draws of his time, it's a sensible remark.

YES YES MY SON

N to the I to the G to the G to the A to the AYYYYYYY

An objection to working with Bergman, sure, but one based on ignorance and the assumption that film as a medium requires "heroes" that should give children someone to look up to.

I don't agree with his line about "everything" being weakness and sickness; there are certainly life-affirming messages to be found in Bergman's works, like the strawberry scene in Seventh Seal. Not to forget Fanny and Alexander, which as a whole, despite it's grim premise, is a wholly positive film.

though I figure Bronson made his remark long before Fanny and Alexander was made.

unfortunately you're missing out on the full effect

>Robert Bresson's Diary of a Country Priest is another briliant film with great dialogue, though I believe it's actually based on a book.
It is, the book is great.

In what sense? I wouldn't say I believe much of anything in Judeo-Christianity, save the universal truths like "loving others" which I never learnt from any religion.

user is saying that christianity has been a part of the various european identities for 1000 years, and it's only in recent years that the faith itself, ie the belief in God, has weakened. The religion would obviously have affected our culture and values; it's about far more than just believing in deities.

I understood, but I was asking for the specific aspects about ourselves that meet such a description. Because for me personally, I consider it neither true for myself or for the people around me.

His non-religious films are imo his best. Cries and whispers, Autumn Sonata, Scenes from a marriage

It's kino. Wild Strawberries is my favorite Berg,
Watched Hour of the Wolf last night, thought it was just okay.

Why can't everyone take the pantheistpill and just love eachother as the Divine, instead of getting into endless arguments over the existence of a being one cannot confirm to exist, and for whatever reason, seemingly hides from us instead of revealing themself explicitly? If there is such a God, none can be blamed for not knowing of them, because none of us were directly informed (and no, impenetrable and conflicting scriptures written by men don't count), and meanwhile we will be far more moral towards eachother if everyone sees everyone else as divinity. I'm absolutely sickened by Christians who berate athiests like they weren't even human beings while also pretending to be holy, spiritual people. Athiests I won't comment on since their beliefs are not binding them to a certain standard of conduct unlike the Christian. But I hate this culture so much, it's such nonsense. Just love your fellow beings instead of antagonizing them for believing or not believing in something that none of us can even have certain knowledge of anyway (which, if we did, this entire conversation wouldn't need to occur). And please don't give me a single "but God DOES exist with certainty" or some other opinion of yours, I really don't care to hear it. Love your fellow human beings and leave this world a better place before you leave it. Keep anything else (ex
your belief in a Deity)private, within yourself, and do not allow it to affect anything regarding the former mandate. A pantheist-society would solve so many of our world's problems. I want one so badly.

Do yourself a favor and pick this up.

Attached: bergman_cinema.jpg (1600x900, 148K)