Here's how Virginia Woolf would describe somebody drinking a glass of water

Here's how Virginia Woolf would describe somebody drinking a glass of water.

>... and his hand, pink like an orchid, and delicate like the feathers of a parrot, picks up the glass, transparent like the ocean, moving it to his mouth with the stealth of a racoon, and tilts it until it is perpendicular to the table, like the horizon, until the water flows into his mouth in a manner reminiscent of rivers flowing into the sea.

Like why the fuck are there so many similes involving nature and so many descriptions full of references to fucking flowers and trees?

Attached: 1526527616381.png (220x301, 81K)

That's literallty shit-tier prose. You shouldn't try to write like that.

I did a quick search on this and found this excerpt from an essay.

>In To the Lighthouse, by my count, Virginia Woolf employs over one hundred >similes, figures of speech making an explicit comparison between two things >essentially unlike, to enliven her description of things, places, and people. >The majority of these similes relate to people; furthermore, of those relating >to people, over thirty describe Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey. The similes Woolf uses >to describe Mr. and Mrs. Ramsey fall into three major categories--forces or >objects of nature, human, and animal--and reveal Wool's feelings about her >parents.

There seems to be a pattern to how things are described but yeah it's just not pleasant reading.

Woolf sucks

>In a 1928 letter to a mutual friend of T.S. Eliot, Virginia Woolf wrote: "I have had a most shameful and distressing interview with dear Tom Eliot, who may be called dead to us all from this day forward. He has become an Anglo-Catholic believer in God and immortality, and goes to church. I was shocked. A corpse would seem to me more credible than he is. I mean, there’s something obscene in a living person sitting by the fire and believing in God."

Attached: 138382-004-B5A1FC71.jpg (234x300, 11K)

Its a fuckin' parody, ya dip

>Like why the fuck are there so many similes involving nature and so many descriptions full of references to fucking flowers and trees?
Why would be that a bad thing, anyway?

Night and Day is a good novel of hers that seems to always be overlooked. The prose gets poetic at times, but nowhere is it nearly as indulgent as OP. I recommend it.

This! Nature imagery is fuckin' libo. That's why I like so many Japanese authors so much.

Attached: 1550931715027.jpg (540x540, 31K)

>To the Lighthouse is not pleasant reading
Shit taste desu senpai

Why do depressives overanalyze every single stimulus It's like they have no filter and everything affects them

The heart of comedy is talking with serious tones and great detail about unimportant matters. Perhaps her intention was that.

There are ppl that unironically fry their brain with LSD in order to achieve that

She's not for everyone, like most any author. She writes about how perception works and shifts, how mood alters what you see around you and how dynamic that is. Yeah it can get tiring, she highlights a specific kind of self-awareness and consciousness that in practice is a fleeting state of mind. At the same time, any author highlights certain part of reality and glosses over others.

I think Woolf is a fine writer and her scene of the mother counts the strokes of the lighthouse (in To the Lighthouse, unsurprisingly) to me is the finest description of happily being alone and lost in thought that I've ever read.

good points

just read Proust bro

because, as in the normal 'stream of consciousness', there is an immediate, over-lapping cascade of imagery and association that occurs 'all at once', but which woolf tries to capture, imperfectly, through the necessarily linear mode of language.

Purple prose is only excusable if its satire or extremely old literature. These days it's just fucking pretentious and makes eyes roll

Honestly based, imagine still believing in God
>inb4 if you don't believe in magic you wear a stupid hat

her stuff is actually bretty neat. i like her.

Her stuff is pretty bad. I dislike her

Her stuff is on my shelf now. I haven't read it so I don't know how I feel about it.

if it has no meaning it feels forced

This sort of writing is what I love about the Romantics, tho. Their prose is so mindblowingly rich compared to most writers today; which, especially where genre fiction is concerned, is often so mindnumbingly bland.

I reckon we could do with a resurgence in this sort of writing, OP

That's exactly why I'm writing, desu. I'm going to try and spearhead a neo-romantic movement.

I’ve mastered writing in that style to the extent that I’ve passed off some of my stuff as being from that period to people that should really know better.

Say, fellas, on that note: what do you make of my short story opening? Just a little something I'm working on:

Amber eyes, refracting light in a night black and thick as tar, like pools of starlight congealing in hollow pits of a panther’s skull.
Much like the two tiny ears tuned into twilight’s white noise cacophony, any soul listening would have heard the distinct tap of prowling padded feet – across the convenient carpet of matted tin rooftops which crowned the South Bronx shantytown – be adjoined by the echoing of identical sounds, building two-by-two, until an entire army slow-marched across the slum’s upper echelons.
But not a soul was listening.
None save the two tiny ears tuned into twilight’s building white noise cacophony.
It had just begun to rain.

I've had mixed views on my prose. Some say it's overly purple, whereas others say it's incredible.

Part of me agrees with the former, since my sentences do tend to be extremely convoluted, but at the same time I get paranoid about dumbing it down so much that it loses all effect.

>mindnumbingly bland
that about sums it up. I tried to make it through a James Patterson Alex Cross novel the other day, and lordy lordy

I'd continue reading it. I love how it has a consistent flow until the sudden break of said flow in the final line.

If her prose was really like that, you would have drawn example from her actual writing rather than this mock up.

Pick a random page from the waves and you'll find at least a dozen similes

I've never read Virginia Woolf, but now I want to.

If it was written anywhere this bad, OP would have used her actual material.

>everything must have meaning

Attached: 1528224190412.png (826x609, 80K)

this doesn't make sense

When I get home I'll literally take a photo of a random page from Voyage out

Please do, so I can write my satirical novels mocking your movement’s purple prose.

If it's part of the author's style then it has meaning. Style is as important as content, if not more, in transmitting the author's experience and view of the world.

She was a fucking degenerate and her books belong to the flames.

>12658166 (You)

Attached: 98F13E35-CE3F-4AD0-B62B-C06F151C30D9.jpg (3121x2589, 2.54M)

kek

It shows a lot of talent but I feel like its trying too hard. Maybe drop a small handful of literary devices, and not every sentence needs to have an unusual structure. It's good, but less can be more. Look at Hemingway, or better yet, Fitzgerald. He wrote clearly and concisely, but this made his more flowery and impressive prose stand out more.

She's a confirmed brainlet