Did he solve the short-story format? Why is it that most tales currently being written are either trite or boring...

Did he solve the short-story format? Why is it that most tales currently being written are either trite or boring? Why can't anyone get on this dude's level?

Attached: download.jpg (274x184, 9K)

most things being written are trite or boring
that's not particular to short stories at all

I understand that you believe that recognizing him by the picture is a must. But I don't know who he is and by not identifying him by the name, you make your topic useless. You make it impossible for me to learn and grow with you. Its a shame you are so intelligent and so arrogant that you don't allow the others to learn with you, its really a shame.

back to plebbit

He's very recognizable and one of the authors you should know. Lurk more or fuck off

Literally no excuse not to know this man

click the little arrow next to OP's post number
click "image search"
click "google"

He doesn't really write short stories. He writes metaphysical vignettes.

Attached: calvino-1024x672.jpg (1024x672, 118K)

I’m halfway through his collected fictions right now, I think he might of become my favorite author overnight. The House Of Asterion was especially enjoyable.

You could have just searched the image on google, but you're right nonetheless.

Jorge Luis Borges, an argentine writer from previous century. An absolute legend in literary terms. If you want to give him a try, start with 'Ficciones' (really dont know how is it called in english)

So, I think about the fact that he grew in a rich, or at least well established, and cultured family, so he could basically read a frickin lot, which was mirrored in his stories, and the fact that he was really intelligent. He had certain obssesions w/ things like metaphysical or impossible problems, which he expressed trough laberynths, mirrors, stories within stories, bibliographical adventures, etc. Add that to the fact that he cultivated a really polished lyric style, and of course his personality. Those facts were things that merged in his style, and kinda 'elevating' his works.
Thats the first explanation I can think.

This is true. But why isn't it more true? I imagine many philosophers could be doing the same thing he did.

“Ficciones” is just Fictions my friend. Your analysis is dope and correct. Did you know he was terrified of mirrors as well?

Not him, but I know Borges, I've read some of his books, I've seen photographs of him before. I still didn"t recognize him in ths one.

I know you guys think you're witty and doing it in jest but in reality you're just lowering the quality of discussion in an already dismal board.

I other words atomize yourself.

Define the short story format in a way that its solvability can be adressed.

>Why is it that most tales currently being written are either trite or boring?

See > Why can't anyone get on this dude's level?

Because most short story writers in the US nowadays are MFA students or professors trying to LARP as Carver without the chops or even simple earnestness to play the part.

There are probably good short story writers out there, we just don't hear of them.

>Because most short story writers in the US nowadays are MFA students or professors trying to LARP as Carver

I sometimes wonder what are the effects of the "creative writing" industry. The anglo world seems to be in love with this stuff, but it makes their writing dull and repetitive. Why would anyone willing to write fiction enroll in these courses? If you're a journalist and you need to adhere to certain editorial voice, fine. But for fiction?

He hated mirrors because he was a virgin. Just like procreation, mirrors have the property of multiplying persons. He was a castrated old man.

/thread

>Why is it that most tales currently being written are either trite or boring?
Because you don't know how to read.

based and redpilled

Yeah! I've heard something about the fact that in his childhood's bedroom he had three mirrors, and he was afraid of the images reflected inthere possibly move.

>"El espejo y la cópula son abominables porque multiplican el número de hombres."
“Mirrors and copulation are abominable, since they both multiply the numbers of men...”

But I think that inside him a huge fascination for them was lurking

Maybe it is a similar fact in visual arts, where people think that academicism is the only way. I mean, I love and highly appreciate renaisscence derived works of art (academicism = classical and proportion studies), but at the end they end doing poses, still life, and paisajism, in a beatiful and technical manner, but there is no big innovation in them. In literature you have the mainstream circle, which is generic and generally has love oriented thematics, then you can dig and dig, ending deep below with people that care about especific or weird (to the common people) , but regularly amazing thematics, and those authors die with little or no merits, being Borges a really big and astounding exception to this rule.

He had sex as a teenager in Palma you fool.

Not him, but I'm pretty sure he's making a joke about Tlon, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius.

Because youre waiting for academia to tell you what literature is good.

I just read that recently and I don’t see the joke

Actually he lost his virginity in Geneva, his father took him to a whorehouse.