Philip Roth, at the end of his career, said he wrote a page a day. That's about 330 words. Seems a bit low to me

Philip Roth, at the end of his career, said he wrote a page a day. That's about 330 words. Seems a bit low to me.

Attached: download (7).jpg (188x267, 8K)

some people write 5k words a day and its all fucking trash. quality/quantity

but why write when you can just read teh greeks over and over

Still about a book a year. More then I write. We can't all be Asimov.

It's better to write slowly if it means what you write is actually good as opposed to writing thousands of pages of pure shit

Or you could be Balzac or Proust and produce 20+ great pages daily.

but you have to accept that you might not be like Balzac or Proust

Attached: tomoko.png (287x288, 88K)

The man wrote 30 something books so it clearly didnt hurt him much.

Heck he was much more committed to writing then the average author. In his peak he lived like a hermit in the countryside writing a book a year.

We cant all be Updike, and even Updike said he did a page or 2 a day.

I dont know how they do it, it takes me a week to write a poem.

And you have to accept that an aspiring writer who can’t even produce more than 500 words in a full day’s work will never get anywhere. "Great" words or not.

why not user?

A page a day is perfect. That's like a nice book a year.

Because taking the advice of some middling jewish nepotism figure from the end of his career isn't going to sharpen your skillls

not an argument user

Well this is pure bullshit. Why would you focus on quantity so much? Why would an author get anywhere simply because he feels like writing a lot in one sitting? It's not an argument.

Kill yourselves

So your telling me that you don't think that telling an aspiring writer that taking advice to barely practice the craft, from an established figure, at the admitted end of his career, when there's a possibility his identity also helped to bolster his career, is probably a bad idea to become a better writer, is an argument?

I think telling aspiring writers to focus on quantity instead of quality is a bad idea yes

Snow Country is a short book but it's very good

And how long was kowabunga dude writing before that book was published?

He wrote it piecemeal over the course of 13 years

Attached: tea.png (330x330, 45K)

work on your shit
think about your shit
edit your shit
study your craft
word/page count isn't a totally clear measure of how much work you're putting into it

>to be great you must write a lot
Yeah, lol, keep seconding what burgers tell you, kek.

Fine we can do it this way
>Kawabata graduated in 1924, by which time he had already caught the attention of Kikuchi Kan and other noted writers and editors through his submissions to Kikuchi's literary magazine, the Bungei Shunju.
>In addition to fiction writing, Kawabata also worked as a reporter, most notably for the Mainichi Shimbun.

How do you know whatt it takes to become a great writer? Are you a great writer?

Why? Do you know?

>500 words
>quantity
You are retarded, is my point.

any number is quantity. focusing on the number is focusing on quantity. it seems that you are the retarded person here.

Just wondering why I should listen to you.

It seems (you) are terribly insecure and can’t write more than 150 words in a full day’s work. Good luck on that writing of yours.

t. published novelist and poet
t. not an anglo

I'm pretty sure you're not a published novelist and you're an anglo. You seethe with terrible opinions like a typical burger. The envious, frustrated burger anti-semite who think he's better than Roth because he can pump out 10 pages in one sitting. Pathetic.

N’abandonne pas, mon cher. N’abandonne pas. I feel for you dear friend, who actually writes slower than a senior Roth. Impressive.

>An obese burger literally drops FOUR french words to pretend that he's a frog in order to distract people from his overflowing plebness, brainletism and antisemitism
Noice

He wrote Goodbye, Columbus over the space of a few years, he's always been a slow writer. Yet he was more successful than some Bhutanese tennis board poster

Attached: smug.jpg (900x900, 123K)

user philip roth isn't literally talking to you

Dieu seul sait à quoi vous pouvez bien faire référence, mon cher.

Oh we’re talking about success now ! That’s great ! I thought we were just laughing at how insecure (and unpublished) you guys are.

ps : Goodbye Columbus is a 2nd rate novella btw, nothing to write home about, success or not. Again, one must probably be burger to actually enjoy the Roth.

You're the person who is absolutely clueless about literature and butthurt about Roth's success.

Go back to r*ddit right now

More people have read it than whatever you've wrote

I honestly don’t care about success. I thought you were defending some ethical right to slowness and now you’re going on about a writer’s commercial success ? Good for the goy. Surely you’re not worth much, but you can do better than that.

Non merci, mon chou – je ne fréquente pas ce shithole, believe it or not.

JK Rowling and Stephanie Meyer are the greatest authors of all time I guess

Word count doesnt matter. I write 1K words a day. Some do 2K, 5K