Reading when spoiled?

I've recently decided to give the first Harry Potter book a read and I'm finding it impossible to form an opinion on. Because it's something that I grew up around, I find it impossible to see it in the way that a first-time reader would. For example, the subtleties of the first two chapters are completely lost on someone who already knows about the magic. So far, I've only been able to say with any confidence that Hagrid is amazing and that, for a kid's book, Rowling uses far too many words that I, a man in my 20s, has to Google.

Long story short, how do I form an opinion on a work that I will never be able to see with fresh eyes?

Attached: Screenshot from 2019-02-24 13-15-42.png (816x759, 1.07M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher's_Stone
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Just read other peoples opinions and pretend they're yours now.

Sounds good. How do I bait Yea Forums in to giving me opinions on individual Harry Potter books?

Read this instead

Attached: B524E5D0-CBDB-4C2B-A9A0-F4074A9B96FC.jpg (653x1034, 445K)

>Rowling uses far too many words that I, a man in my 20s, has to Google.
>posting the American book cover
this is very subtle b8 but it's 8am on the east coast. Well attempted bong, well attempted.

thats international cover though, no?

I don’t even think Rowling knows the “big words” she’s using

Nah, I couldn't find a pdf version of the English version of the first books. I've got the rest in print just from getting them as gifts during my childhood. At first I thought that it'd just be the whole Sorceror's/Philosopher's Stone thing that'd be changed, but I got really confused when there was that bit in the second or third chapter were they were trying to light bags of chips on fire.

English is Philosopher's Stone.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harry_Potter_and_the_Philosopher's_Stone

I was talking about the art, by title it looks like the american one

Nah, she does. When you read the description of Dudley's high school, you know that she knows about that shit. I had to Google just about every item in his uniform. But why the Hell would she put these sorts of works in a children's book?
>duffer
>gibber
>tailcoat
>knickerbockers
I even had to look up the hair styles that she was talking about.

Yeah, the American art doesn't match the English. The English one shows Harry and the Hogwarts Express. And from what I can remember, the Italian one shows two rats playing Chess.

Speaking of different releases, did it receive some sort of erratum? I find it strange that although it's got one or two weird things like missing punctuation marks, she managed to mention Sirus Black and the dragon at the bottom of Gringotts all the way back in book 1.

If a literary work is not a good read, even when spoiled, I consider it bad.
I have read many many books after I already knew the synopsis, and still enjoyed the fuck out of it. "Stories" are really overrated - there are many more things about a really great book than the "story", and if it's not fun and engaging regardless that it's "spoiled", I consider it shit.

Weird, my shithole country's translation cover art matches the american one

You sound like your favourite film is The Big Lebowski.

But yeah, you're right. Hagrid was enough to keep me hooked, so I suppose that's good enough even if I can't form an opinion on the rest.

Aside from tailcoat which you really should know, those are a bit UK specific. I'd have known what a knickerbocker glory was when I was a child.

Still, it proves the point about Rowling.

That says surprisingly little.

>Americans are so obsessed with the world's opinion on them

Attached: image.jpg (1920x1440, 225K)

How many times per week do you greentext >americans, my dishonest friend?

Attached: dtMJSmDj_400x400.jpg (400x400, 28K)

This is glowing praise.

>dishonest

Start a thread with a ludicrous opinion that Yea Forums would never hold and go out of your way to defend your decision and call those who disagree with you redditers
you'll get angry replies filled with some genuine thoughts, steal them and make them your own.

Got it, I'll post HPMOR bait.

underrated.

Why?