Fuck with the rampant authorial misogyny in this board

Fuck with the rampant authorial misogyny in this board.
This is easily a among my all time favourites.

Attached: 05547-6a00d83451bcff69e20120a4d12bfd970b-300wi.jpg (300x462, 19K)

Nah, its crap. Plath's poetry is much better because it balances her melodrama with wit and her ability to come up with interesting lyrical images. The Bell Jar reads like any by-the-numbers angst lit.

you are a dreadful pseud
just stop reading at all, you are a living disgrace

3rd rate novel desu. No idea why burgers actually defend this one.

Who never dealt with actual mental illness, meaning not self diagnosed shit to have an excuse to be a self indulgent useless piece of shit, will never be able to understand this book.
And pic related scene.

Attached: IMG_20190110_102145_823.jpg (480x480, 44K)

The person you're replying to was being a little harsh but it's undeniable that her poems are better than bell jar by a magnitude, unless you've either not read them or you're too stupid to comprehend them

The Bell Jar is an amazing book. You and the other user are just pulling strawmans out of Plath=poetry.
The mere fact you compare prose to poetry is quite revealing.
I find The Bell Jar extremely well written, I think you just don't get it because it's about the real life of someone suffering from bipolar depression, and you dismiss it as "muh girl problems".

fuck female authors, I don't want to read about your vagina

Attached: 1542022621169.jpg (800x710, 70K)

if you don't like feminism and female writers you're a pseud pleb

>the real life of someone suffering from bipolar depression, and you dismiss it as "muh girl problems"

Oh wow, depression and alienation and mental problems in literature is such a rare thing...truly every book about it must be cherished as a sublime representation of the human will against the darkest forces within...

>ITT guys mad at Sylvia because she was harsh on manlets in The Bell Jar
haha this board

You guys remember the passage where she says that only men could think up something as dreadful as epidurals because they want women to be baby factories? Truly a book that’s too deep for me bruh. It drips with pure GENIUS.

Reading The Bell Jar in public actually helped me learn how to talk to women. I'd still be a virgin, if it weren't for this book.

I only keep a copy of this on my shelf to smash art thot cunt. The prose was amazing but the subject matter didn’t age well considering that her bipolar illness is now the zeitgeist for women. Plath might of been going up against social norms and society in her time with her actions and suicidal ruminations but now women like her are a dime a dozen. I’m not sure if this book will continue to do even better as more women find her work but more men see it as trite ramblings that could be found in any of their collegiate classmates binders.

it's actual merits lie in the comedy which seems a hugely overlooked aspect of this book with it's le sad girl image

>might of

Your soi is showin

care to extrapolate?

I had to put it down after she bashed manlets. There's only so much I can take.

It's pretty straightforward, I think.

Reading the book in public places meant that girls would come up to me and ask me why I was reading that book, which led to more conversations, which led to me being more comfortable with talking to women over all. Being more confident in dealing with women made it easier to figure out how to sleep with them.

>actual bipolar disorder = le quirky thot's "lol I'm bipolar XDDDD" "(((disorder)))"
Yeah bruh totally

Look up the diagnosis and medication rates my nugga. We’re in a broader mental health and social crisis and only one gender has the highest rates. I’ll let you guess which one that is sweetie.

Do you have the slightest idea of how mental illnesses are diagnosed? You walk in and say a doctor "I have this", and you have that. Especially true with mood disorders.

>implying men don't love writing about pussy

Also I need to check this one out, I quite like some of Plath's poems.

WHICH COVER VERSION WORKS THE BEST user TELL ME
which one attracts more curious pusy

Attached: The_Bell_Jar_Book_Club.jpg (350x540, 39K)

Is that supposed to help your case? So overwhelmingly women are telling doctors they’re mentally ill? Hmmmm maybe that might indicate...something...hmmmm

I speak from experience.
Over diagnosing of mental illnesses is a thing in the times we are living in. The methods are absolutely arbitrary, and doctors are more than happy to grab cash from special snowflakes and sell them big pharma meds. Instead of dismissing a self diagnosis, they reinforce it.
>Plath might of been going up against social norms and society in her time with her actions and suicidal ruminations
You are either a brainlet who believe "hurr depression isn't real" or you fail to understand the difference between an era where you'd be put in a straight jacket and given shock therapy and an era where posing as a bipolar is fashionable and a means to get attention.

That was the cover I had, yes. It was a vintage copy from the 80s, and this was in 2008. I don't know if it would work anymore.

>Esther tells Dr. Nolan how she envies the freedom that men have and how she, as a woman, worries about getting pregnant. Dr. Nolan refers her to a doctor who fits her for a diaphragm. Esther now feels free from her fears about the consequences of sex; free from previous pressures to get married, potentially to the wrong man. Under Dr. Nolan, Esther improves and various life-changing events help her to regain her sanity.
So let me get this straight: this woman was depressed because she couldn't have sex without consequences and she was instantly cured once she could jump on the cock carousel? No wonder women praise this book so much.

Men who can't/don't have sex go on shooting sprees lol

Classic depressed / repressed hedonist thinking: if I act on my instinct I will be happy.
If Plath lived she'd write a sequel where the protagonist realizes she can't escape her inner despair and becomes a nun, kills herself in her 50s or starts a family and becomes a devoted wife.

Surely lots of cock will fill the void

I’m fully aware that doctors get kickbacks and big pharma wants to get literally every American on some type of medication. What I’m suggesting since you don’t want to take the stats into consideration is maybe your own analysis and intuition. Just look at the opium crisis. The fact that this business model even popped up is an indication that people want to be treated for depression and instability and the pharmaceutical industry sold them what they wanted. It doesn’t take a genius to see modern women have gone completely off reservation. The fact that its popular and even being sewn into popular culture that dissent from men of any kind wether warranted or not is construed as a good thing is evidence enough that this book is irrelevant. Like I said It had great prose and indeed Plath faced a lot more obstacles in her time than women now. But my point is is that the people connecting with it view her as an archytpical hero for their own lives living in disarray when she was nothing like women now, and that’s why this book didn’t age well at all. Ultimately she has some nice writing but the main point of this book is irrelevant. Plath left behind a life of money and fame. She was a recognized artist and also had a young daughter. She killed herself because she was mentally ill and the fact that these are the traits that make her a hero to modern women is quite a disturbing one. It’s basically all about a negation of responsibility. Fuck the Bell Jar. The entitlement surrounding this book is disgusting.

Do you know how many crazy and selfish men are regarded as heroes? Why are you holding women up to such a different/higher standard for who they choose to idolize? You're a moron.

B-but men do bad things too!

Yeah okay so what are you saying that my analysis of this work should be disregarded? Get raped faggot.

uh ok now I got it user kun
that's quite a daring synthesis
>reminder that in the book she was a virgin well into her 20s and after she got the "fix" she has a sexual encounter that is utterly unsatisfactory and she almost bled to death due to a weird hemorrhage
It's pretty incel relatable. But yes she was hard on manlets.

This, but unironically (without quotas)

Your analysis is invalid because it's stupid.

Yeah I’m just a big stupid head meanie man.

Post some manlet quotes. I'm just about above average in my country (I'm 178cm) and want to feel good about myself

>178cm
I have bad news for you user...

Come on, Frankie," the man said to one of his friends in the group, and a short, scrunty fellow detached himself and came into the bar with us. He was the type of fellow I can't stand. I'm five feet ten in my stocking feet, and when I am with little men I stoop over a bit and slouch my hips, one up and one down, so I'll look shorter, and I feel gawky and morbid as somebody in a sideshow. For a minute I had a wild hope we might pair off according to size, which would line me up with the man who had spoken to us in the first place, and he cleared a good six feet, but he went ahead with Doreen and didn't give me a second look. I tried to pretend I didn't see Frankie dogging along at my elbow and sat close by Doreen at the table.

>dogging along at my elbow
Kek

I hate female writers and feminism with all my heart.

I've heard this is the feminine equivalent of No Longer Human, any truth in that?

>I began to see why woman-haters could make such fools of women. Woman-haters were like gods: invulnerable and chock full of power. They descended, and then they disappeared. You could never catch one.

This is the biggest takeaway from the entire novel.

tough for me to read plath at all given how her entire career is basically just a suicide note

What's the takeaway here? The crippling insecurity of women, their obsession with social hierarchy and their endless despair when they can't win an argument?

That you can instill these feelings in women simply because you are a man. Then you can use these feelings to your advantage.

based

>It’s basically all about a negation of responsibility. Fuck the Bell Jar. The entitlement surrounding this book is disgusting.
It seems you aren't able to understand the very basic fact that people who kill themselves out of mental illnesses don't actually want to kill themselves.
It's just the same mechanism of a person who kills himself because he's kept in captivity and tortured every day.
There are no responsibilities being dodged. The depressed person perceive himself as a burden to the others, and he feels he will destroy his loved ones. In his head he is making a responsible choice.
You are just unable to acknowledge the difference between a real case of mental illness and the tendency of youth to look at mental illnesses as escapism, if not a mere aesthetic statement.

>"we ran out of our animation budget so here's a 30 second still of nothing"

Attached: C162281C-DD49-4D87-AEAD-A5B3F65F1175.jpg (300x168, 8K)

I'm astonished by how a board like Yea Forums is so widely populated by utter plebeians.
You belong to capeshit threads on Yea Forums.

Ok then, explain it

Attached: 170E2A7B-DB92-45A2-98AA-D1E93D63DA35.jpg (567x481, 119K)

how did she do it? I rarely found anything.

It is a wonderfull book. Really depressing desu, I can't think of reading it more than once. It's the Mount Eerie of books.

>just about above average
so below average for your age

Will this cover still get me a gf?

Attached: 4206EEC3-A482-42C1-A43E-B5800FE5F7A0.jpg (315x475, 23K)

Posters here are only misogynist because they've never known a womans love.

How do I feel a woman's love

Attached: 7438EC10-AF62-4543-BAA0-39B3F3472D12.jpg (300x300, 27K)

I've never felt a woman's love yet I am not a misogynist. I truly understand where these anons are coming from. It is hard to realize you are the problem so you point your hate and resentment on what you can't achieve, women in this case. Examining yourself first in this case is the true redpill.

Attached: 1550350507965.jpg (1024x1017, 59K)

Harsh redpill here

It’s so fucking good I don’t get haters

>“Do you realize the illicit sensuous delight I get from picking my nose? I always have, ever since I was a child. There are so many subtle variations of sensation. A delicate, pointed-nailed fifth finger can catch under dry scabs and flakes of mucous in the nostril and draw them out to be looked at, crumbled between fingers, and flicked to the floor in minute crusts. Or a heavier, determined forefinger can reach up and smear down-and-out the soft, resilient, elastic greenish-yellow smallish blobs of mucous, roll them round and jellylike between thumb and forefinger, and spread them on the undersurface of a desk or chair where they will harden into organic crusts. How many desks and chairs have I thus secretively befouled since childhood? Or sometimes there will be blood mingled with the mucous: in dry brown scabs, or bright sudden wet red on the finger that scraped too rudely the nasal membranes. God, what sexual satisfaction!”

>be depressed af
>get to Yea Forums
>remember The Bell Jar exists
>read for a while
>"I felt very still and empty"
>get more depressed

Oh fuck

Attached: C58D99BB-9159-49DA-8B74-4BDEDFE05280.jpg (400x400, 36K)

I am reading it right now and find the tangents she goes on all the time to be very odd, I'm not sure if I enjoy them yet.

CUTE

Attached: plath_1.jpg (514x514, 40K)

Hey user - any demographic that rampantly self-diagnoses disorders is not indicative of plight. Women have no plight.
They're not taken seriously?
Men under 5'8" and any man under 30 are useless in the eyes of women.
Women get paid less?
Men work the worst jobs in society to make more money because they're insecure and expend themselves.
They were historically discriminated against?
Yeah, fighting in war from the home really blows - notice how war ONLY became evil when women witnessed it on TV.
Victims of domestic abuse?
So was every child.
The economy is ruled by men.
80% of spending is controlled by women.
Mental illness is more rampant among women.
Suicide is more prevalent around men and the new-wave self-care is just new-wave narcissism, the more you focus on yourself the more flaws you'll find.
My favorite: Women have more domestic chores.
Men work more across the board.
Women have to take precaution to not be randomly sexually assaulted.
This is two-fold: You have to be so fucking stupid to think the statistics on this justify your behavior and also it's sexist. "I have to take so many actions to not get mugged by the blacks" is the same line of thinking. Disgusting.

Hating men is now par for the course, a very renowned bookstore had a book, "How to date men when you hate men." Misandry is accepted.
I kinda went on a tangent because this whole feminism is total bullshit. The most privileged person I know is a pretty girl

Plenty of married dudes are and have been misogynistic, hell its almost the norm for them

Any form of hate is pedantically misled. However, mistaking misogyny for disliking author style, whichh -as noted by any good dotting feminist- can be very gendered, is dangerous

Plenty of married dudes have never known a woman's love.

pretty crap poem desu

I'm sure theyve known it lmao, its easily can be lost though so you get bitter about it. Shits a two way street my dude

Lol it's slam

>'Scuse me...official Yea Forums mommy coming through.

Attached: CuiteFlanFlan.jpg (220x273, 11K)

Go on miss

>book is good because it's written by a female
>if you don't like it then you're misogynist
what is this, a post from like 2008?

Nabokov said he was against all women writers, yet he's immortalized as a great writer. No one will remember anyone such as

amazing, bravo! I'm really blown away!

The bell jar is fantastic.