Oh, so this is what Grecian Drama looks like in contemporary form

Oh, so this is what Grecian Drama looks like in contemporary form...

Attached: b8c4a32f4d77f91636b2b2c1dd5107ef.jpg (1000x1363, 169K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bj3B7FdU2z0
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>Greek Tragedy being anything like the product of slanted eyed perverted monkeys
You are like that kid that wrote papers on Manga for the Modern literature class and got pitiable looks from the teacher and contempt from the rest of the class.

Not an argument

Nothing to dismiss in the first place.
I could say that you are Gonorrea in human form and I wouldn't need to articulate further based on your definition of argument.

It's missing the masks and 12" strap-ons

Is Gonorrea a sister of Guinevere? Never heard of any English word spelt that before.

Sexually transmitted disease.

Lots of Greek shit in Utena. My pet theory is that the shadow girls (on top of being a Greek chorus) are references to Plato's Allegory of the Cave. They present the moral lesson of the episode but it is often the opposite of what they actually say.

Fuck you OP for making this off-topic thread but I love Utena too much not to reply. It is the most Yea Forums TV show of all time for sure.

Attached: Shoujo_Kakumei_Utena_Adolescence_Mokushiroku_511D87A2.webm (1274x688, 2M)

>(on top of being a Greek chorus)

I'd disagree that they serve that function. The duel themes are much closer to this role.

>They present the moral lesson of the episode but it is often the opposite of what they actually say.

The shadow girls become more obscure and less and less didactic as the show goes on.

Attached: utena33.jpg (655x437, 69K)

But that's Gonorrhea.

I'm curious why you see the duel themes that way, I never considered them to be choruses, just another repetitive element.

The Shadow Girls seem to have a lot in common with the chorus to me. They are faceless, appear at a fixed point in the structure of an episode (play), and I think usually deliver society's narrative on the events of the episode.

>The shadow girls become more obscure and less and less didactic as the show goes on.
This is true, the most obvious times they are wrong are mostly near the start. But even near the end we see them present the narrative of the Rose Bride in episode 34 from a very biased perspective against Anthy. They aren't omniscient narrators and from what I can tell this is something they share with the traditional chorus.

Attached: 01_Shoujo_Kakumei_Utena_1997_BD_720p_Hi10p_5.1_AACdualaudiokuchikirukia.mkv_snapshot_14.51_2017.08.1 (960x720, 205K)

There seems to have been very little speculation on them, despite how thoroughly the rest of the show has been taken apart. Analysis of Utena is a wonderful time sink and surprisingly well written for what it is.

Should I watch this, guys? I've heard it was revolutionary, no pun intended? What are its virtues? Also, what is "Princess Tutu"? Is it related to RGU? Is it okay if I'm a boy who likes feminine things?

>Is it okay if I'm a boy who likes feminine things
You'll love it.

Rose of Versailles is better, but thats more /his/ than Yea Forums

Can you summarize its virtues please? Also I meant "is it okay to be a boy who likes feminine things"? Like, Sailor Moon is another show I really liked as a child and still watch the opening of. And what's the Rose one?

My other car is Utena

I want to be a pretty girl...

Utena is about reality not being the ideal fairy tale you want it to be and learning to deal with it. Ascending the stairs of adulthood, almost quite literally. Girls shouldn't expect men to be perfect princes, and men shouldn't expect women to be perfect princesses. Lots of sex metaphors, ect. also this >Sailor Moon is another show I really liked as a child
Same friend, I even had an Usagi doll and remember getting chided for not liking Dragon Ball instead.
Also, Ikuhara was a writer for the Sailor Moon anime, and he left the show to write Utena.
>is it okay to be a boy who likes feminine things
iktf. In A Room of Ones Own, Woolf claims that the best authors have androgynous hearts. That Shakespeare is the GOAT because the feminine resonated with him as much as the masculine.
Maybe one of us will be the next Shakespeare.

Attached: uanda_together_18.png (1200x800, 606K)

When Yea Forums comes to fight with Yea Forums on Yea Forums

Attached: 1550273743502.jpg (685x1030, 60K)

That was me in high school desu... Jesus Im glad to be done with high school

It's very well written and has excellent and unique cinematography. It is chock full of stuff to analyze and dig into, but can be a bit slow especially at the start. One of my favorite endings to anything. And the music is fantastic.

Attached: 1531939042892.jpg (1164x1200, 177K)

absolutely based; the most enlightened post of the day

Speaking as an effeminate male, Utena is one of the crowning artistic achievements in the history of animation IMO, in fact it made me even more feminine that I already was. It's an absolutely essential watch even if you have no interest in anime.

>more /his/ than Yea Forums
RoV is both. It has a lot of allusions to Classical mythology and shills thinker like Rousseau like no tomorrow. It got official recognition from the French government as well, giving it further artistic legitimacy. You're right that it's better than Utena, though.

rov is not in any way, shape, or form better than utena lmfao

Perfect, thanks. I'll check them out, RGU and RoV. I hope it's okay to be an effeminate make. Maybe I'm not even effem, but just boyishly sensitive? I like characters like Young Link the most. That's the aesthetic I want. But I love beauty, and girls have the most of that, and I also love the overly-emotionalness of feminine things. Hence, for the beauty and their emotion, why I like feminine music and works like Sailor Moon.

That depends on preference honestly.

If you like no holds barred surrealism, then you're going to prefer Utena. Personally though, I think RoV has a more impressive scope (it's the only anime other than LOGH I could classify as an epic with a straight face), and it's that scope with the emphasis on political drama which I marginally prefer.

I'm not going to try and split hairs too much though, as they're both all time favourites of mine.

>RGU
please use SKU instead
and please don't watch utena if you're just looking for some weird sexual-aesthetic validation

rov is good and i love dezaki but half of it is just campy historical fiction. it has depth, but not nearly as much as utena.

What does Yea Forums make of Ikuhara's other big work?

Attached: penguindrum.png (1920x1080, 2.51M)

Attached: BIF-BotF-OI.png (500x754, 831K)

it's good but not on the same level
yka is shit

Yes. It's very good. Princess Tutu is a different show, it's also pretty good but if you only watch one watch Utena.

RoV and SKU are exactly what you're looking for.

Both are highly aesthetic, and have the best female characters in the medium bar none. The protagonist of RoV for example, is in my opinion the single greatest female character ever written in fiction, being both a genuinely heroic and inspiring figure while also being tragically flawed. She even has a male servant (who is a major character) who wants nothing more than to make her happy, which I feel is something you'd like.

Both are incredibly emotional series as well, with them having tons of feminine melodrama that's very well handled. Just be warned they can both be fairly soul-crushing at points with just how tragic they are (you'll need ALOT of tissues).

Sorry if it's sounds like I'm gushing, but RoV and Utena are among my favourite things ever, so I just can't help it.

YKA was definitely the worst of the lot from Ikuhara.
Ikuhara works best if there is someone with a choke chain to keep from chomping at just his favorite shit.
He needs to be forbidden from things and harassed into doing things he hates in his anime, because that's when he stops being a lazy shit and is forced to get creative in attaining his favorite themes.

didn't realise there were so many weebs here. disgusting

All the Murakami wank should have given you some pointers. Now suck on my chode gay boy.

Thanks alot fren. I'll check them out at the earliest opportunity. They sound really appealing. I should watch them subbed, right?

No it's Lear's daughter.

Only Utena has an English dub, and it's mediocre. RoV has dubs in almost every language except English that are all of varying quality, but none top the original Japanese.

So yeah, subs.

>Ikuhara's other big work

You mean Sailor Moon?

Excellent when it isn't being stupid, and probably the single best directed TV show of all time. Benefits greatly compared to Utena due to how much more down to earth and less abstract its drama is.

Attached: Otonaninare.jpg (482x362, 38K)

iku had relatively little influence over sailor moon. he only did R (non-filler arc) and S. Yes S is a masterpiece, but it's not as good as Utena.

>he only did R (non-filler arc) and S

He also did a lot of work on SuperS and many of the best episodes of the first season. I see no issue with considering the final arc of S to be his best work, as even the best parts of Utena fail to be as visceral.

>I see no issue with considering the final arc of S to be his best work, as even the best parts of Utena fail to be as visceral.
I disagree. The last few episodes of Utena, and the movie, are gut-wrenching. When Utena gives it up to Akio, and when Himemiya tries to suicide, it's all so hard to take. I don't even think that's the most visceral part of Sailor Moon. The end of season one when all the scouts die, and then when they revive without their memories, is harsher.

End of the first season works even better knowing that was supposed to be the real end of the show.
Subsequent seasons only exist after Toei asked the manga author to write more for them to adapt.

The last season of Utena is heart-wrenching. I also love Wakaba Flourishing in the second season.

The black rose arc is kino.

Prince Who Runs Through the Night is still the worst part. It really hurt my delicate virgin sensibilities, genuinely upsetting

Attached: 1501331067271.jpg (750x1093, 280K)

It unironically made me nauseous

Based and apostlepilled.

>there are weebs on a chinese cartoon website

Color me like a yellow autumn leaf.

Princess Tutu is the manliest show ever made.

Attached: a guitar ninjas.jpg (600x368, 48K)

I always wondered how different a story it could have been if Rue had actually been the Raven as it was implied in the beginning.
It would have been an interesting if they went that route.

Any Yea Forums for this feel?

You sir win retard of the week

What grecian drama had a monster of the week format?

>scroll through thread and see
>utena
>sailor moon
>princess tutu
>rov
what the fuck this is the short list of my all time favourite anime. just missing a token yuasa show.
Yea Forums >>> Yea Forums

The labors of Hercules.

I'm surprised you're surprised.

All of those works are heavily influenced by each other or made by the same people, and Yea Forums has acknowledged Utena's merits for a long time.

I adore the season one finale of Sailor Moon, and the S finale, and all of the high points of Utena.

But imo the best episode Ikuhara has ever directed is part one of the two part mid-season finale of S. I still think about it regularly.
iirc the episode starts with Uranus waking Neptune from a vision in this scene by saying something like "It's not fair. You're always going off on your own, and leaving me behind..."
The way it ties this into the ending is so beautiful.

Attached: [SMC] Sailor Moon S - 110 (R2 DVD 480p H264 AAC)[C367DE03].mkv_snapshot_03.01_[2016.02.07_10.27.42]. (640x480, 34K)

where's eva 2deep4u? lol

Isn't this show gay?

I'm sure it's great. I've tried watching it a couple times but lose interest and drop it within the first 8 episodes desu
I don't have much patience for anime and mecha does nothing for me.

Also Trigger > Gainax, with the best Trigger show being Turning Girls

>iirc the episode starts

I agree that it is the single best anime episode and Japan does too, it was voted to be the most loved episode at some point if I recall correctly.

Attached: NephxNaru.jpg (480x360, 16K)

Yes, but not in the way that you'd expect it to be.

I also share your impression of Eva. I've watched all of it, but I found that the last few episodes before the ending were that only ones that were compelling. Eva is highly obscure and heavily focused on psychology, but I wouldn't accuse it of being excessively deep, as I feel that it's too ambiguous in way that actually make it impossible to read much nuance into most things that happen.

In any case, if your tastes are similar to mine, as they seem to be, it doens't surprise me that you dislike it as there's very little *drama* that occurs in it at all, most events are caused by things outside the control of the characters and it is instead focused is on the psychological issues the characters have that make it difficult for them to communicate with and understand each other. Despite this I can't say that most of Eva's characters themselves are really all that well developed or have especially complex internal conflict compared to the other shows discussed in this thread.

Trigger is ass aside from Little Witch Academia (The first OVA and the TV series).

Kare Kano is better

None of them were 17 hours long, for starters.

I forgot how great the first LWA OVA was. I'll give them that and Space Patrol Luluco too.

this is really good

Attached: tsuiokuhen.jpg (225x321, 18K)

The only anime that can rival the greatness of Utena is Cipher: The Video.
Here's a taste:
youtube.com/watch?v=bj3B7FdU2z0

Attached: Please Anon1.webm (640x472, 1.82M)

Does Yea Forums like Madoka?

Attached: 1392326654696.jpg (799x575, 125K)

its fine