Which collection of HP Lovecraft's stories is the definitive one...

Which collection of HP Lovecraft's stories is the definitive one? There's several versions of it and I'm not sure which one to buy.

Attached: 81dZBAFKTpL.jpg (1245x1299, 336K)

Other urls found in this thread:

arkhamhouse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=001
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Complete Cthulhu Mythos Tales (BarnesNoble Collectible Classics: Omnibus Edition)

That black leatherish gilded letter Necronomicon

thanks

I like the ‘Library of America’ version.

Valdemar.

I have the three Penguin books, they are really good and have footnotes by Joshi.

This. Also, search for Variorum editions by STJ. Masters of Weird Tale Edition if you have shitload of money. Avoid Barnes, Knikerboxsomethingshit, and all that crap.

Yeah, like said you should avoid the Barnes and nobles and other editions based on it, like the Knikerbox edition for example, which is the exact same incomplete shit of the Barnes '' complete '' collection.

I actually received those in your pic as a gift. I think they're quite nice.

do they contain all his short stories or a selection only?

I have been listening to HP Lovecraft novels on youtube, and I'm not really liking them. I don't see the fascination with his stuff. It reads like creepypasta. Maybe I'm desensitized in this fucked up society where I can watch rape, snuff, and gore vids any time I want, but his work is lacking in dread, which is what I have always heard being hyped.
I also think he tends to go on and on elaborately about things that never get fully described. Several passages describe a "vague, hard-to-describe" quality of an item, or features in the dark. I find it stupid.
I really don't know why there's a semi-legit cult built around this shit. I'm willing to bet it's due to the change in society like I said.
I'm still listening to others though, waiting for it to click. Not holding my breath, though

>HP Lovecraft novels
>novels

what is Barnes missing? Note Barnes is "complete fiction" not "complete works"

fuck, I bought the Knickerbocker version. how bad is it?

There's this one big ass book with an ugly hardcover that's suppossedly the most complete one.
Even this has some stuff missing iirc

I'm kind of with you. The stories are mostly silly but there are some cool ideas in there. Fun to read nonetheless.

They technically are a collection, although these are all the stories you'd want to read.
I just MSPainted this to make it more clear which stories are in the books; green for Call of Cthulhu, yellow for Thing on the Doorstep, and orange for Dreams in the Witch House.
Stories that are not included here are mostly unfinished stories, fragments, his two parody/comedy shorts, the stories he wrote when he was a kid, and most collaborations (since their quality varies greatly).
If you really want, you can get the Wordsworth's The Horror in the Museum if you want to read his collaborations as well.
The footnotes by Joshi give an incredible amount of extra info. One little thing, in Pickman's Model he spoils the ending in one of the footnotes, so be careful with that. Other than that, it's a really good collection, and because it's split in three books you can carry it around more easily.

Attached: Penguin Lovecraft.png (1915x474, 94K)

The standard editions are the volumes published by Arkham House.
arkhamhouse.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=001

jhjlkjl

Even as a fan, I must say some of his works are quite bad, so maybe that's it. Also, for a lot of people this is one of those love or hate scenarios. It depends a lot on you getting into the atmosphere or not. Maybe give it a break and come back later.

Are there any other Lovecraft-likes worth reading than Thomas Ligotti?

If you're talking about lovecraftian horror and not weird horror, the first 4 stories in The King In Yellow, and I would recommend Uzumaki as well, even though it's manga.

This one.

Attached: IMG_20190225_125454161_HDR.jpg (4160x2340, 3.18M)

Don't you need Eldritch Tales as well, since this book by itself is missing half of the stories?