Is there any value in reading?

Is there any value in reading?

Learning about abstract concepts and having new thoughts is super fun, but at the same time, I'm kinda scared I'm doing nothing with my life.

Literature does really add to my life, but I'm wondering if it's still ultimately pretty pointless?

Attached: JPEG_20190106_010407.jpg (699x699, 110K)

No.
Now leave this board.

u have some catching up to do big boy

What do you mean? Like, in books or in life?

What abstract concept did you learn recently?

Why are you here? Ask reddit, this is a place for people who've already established reading to be of significant importance and value to their lives. Uncertainty only leads to circular reasoning as to why or why not you should do something.

Been going through Moby Dick; so I guess the idea of human concepts vs the incomprehensible (the sea/God/the universe).

Nothing in life has a point.

I'm absolutely certain literature is important; there's not a better educative force, but I still definitely have a nagging doubt as to if there's more to life?

If anything, I thought it'd inspire an interesting discussion which is more than I'd get on Reddit.

Right, you could say life has no inherent value, so you can fill it with whatever you most enjoy.

>ultimately pretty pointless
Much like life when viewed out of utility.

What is of more value than literature? If it is a waste, what should people be doing or learning instead?

>I still definitely have a nagging doubt as to if there's more to life?
Then you should go look for it until you're satisfied. Maybe there's a far better use of your time out there.

If you think there is something better to do then do it.
You dont need to read 24 hours a day to benefit from it.

The great writers were also great criminals, all led rich, exciting lives. William Faulkner was a serial killer of old ladies.

“The ‘Ode on a Grecian Urn’ Is Worth Any Number of Old Ladies”
t. William Faulkner

What's a Grecian urn?

Knowledge, a valuable good, will increase the intrinsic worth of its possessor. Books, useful goods, can be read to acquire the valuable good of knowledge. Keep reading, friendo. The truth shall make you free.

Can books contain wisdom?

If so then reading is the only way to glean it.

Though the quality of wisdom in a book depends on the quality of wisdom of the author and their ability to convey it.

What are some alternatives that you think have value?

It’s a poem by the 29th century romantic poet John Keats

*19th lmao

>Literature does really add to my life

answered ur own question

A greek urn in ancient english.

spoiler alert, everything is pointless, you die anyways