Recent purchases thread?

Recent purchases thread?

Attached: Feminist :lit.jpg (3101x1870, 1.31M)

Other urls found in this thread:

oif.ala.org/oif/?p=16231
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

t. brainlet anglo

Disgusting

Voyage Out is an odd one, feels like a Somerset Maughan or EM Forster novel. Indicates where Woolf would have gone if modernism hadn't come along

>pride and prejudice

Attached: 1510408414987.png (968x733, 206K)

Attached: DSC_1205.jpg (3104x1746, 815K)

As you can tell I am a Yea Forums noob. Observe the failure of an attempt at a colour gradient and rate my choices.

Attached: 20190223_223359.jpg (3264x2448, 2.4M)

And this masterpiece as a birthday present for my brother in law.

Attached: Why I Sued TayTay.jpg (296x445, 26K)

Pretty based choices so far.

I want virginia woolf to step on my little peeny weenie with her milky pale aesthete soles; tramping on my manhood unmercifully while she drawls out a slow, intimate tirade that reveals the total depth of her misanthropy. I want to suckle on her insubstantial breasts as she admonishes me for being a foolish little fop, and to be a placemat for her underdeveloped body otherwise. Slender like a tree borne in the shade, I would let her root into my fertile soil and grow strong with her womanly, disputatious manner. I would protect her even as she lambasted me for being a failure of the male form, and I would never allow absolute TROGLODYTES like Wyndham to hurt her feelings, because they're precious expressions of a beautiful mind. Her face is the perfect model for a dominatrix: just plain enough to know that any interest she draws will be perverse and disengenious, so that her feelings would in turn be mingled with genuine contempt. She could read any one of her writings to me and I would quickly be caught up in feelings of total surrender. I submit myself to you, Virginia, body heart & soul rendered unto my alabaster queen.

Sehen wunderschön aus, wie viel haben sie gekostet?
Why does it keep flipping upside down

50 Euro zusammen bei Thalia. Bei Amazon sind sie glaub auf 60 angestiegen.

>insubstantial breasts
I must remember this phrase

Selections from the Book of Kings (Sahnameh)
Paid less than two euros for it.

Attached: IMG_6932.jpg (2696x3373, 2.41M)

>Why does it keep flipping upside down
because your phone or whatever uses EXIF to determine the orientation of your photo, but Yea Forums strips EXIF when uploading (to keep people from self-doxxing).

Must be the "I hope reading these gets me a gf" edition

Uhhhh, more?

Got these from the local used bookstore yesterday.

Attached: IMG_20190223_154852.jpg (4032x3024, 3.73M)

>but Yea Forums strips EXIF
So I've been ereasing the exif data manually for nothing all this time?

Lately got:

Hellstorm's Hive-Frank Herbert
The Collector-John Fowles
Room- Emma Donoghue
Rashomon and Seventeen other stories-Akutagawa(On order)

Hellstorm's Hive is really fun and bizarre but I'm liking it so far especially the material about the fake documentary about the scientists. Reminds me of something DFW would do. The Collector is also pretty good and a quick read. Looking forward to the Akutagawa book.

We should start insulting women based on the size of their breasts more. A woman with small breasts is a physical failure of a being, and having anything less than a B cup (entirely unsatisfactory, but a bare minimum) should be treated the same as missing something like your nose or the like. Just like Hitler wanted to create a race of blond-haired blue-eyed people, if I were like Hitler—okay, I already am, but if I had Hitler’s power—well, you already figured out what I would do.

You're mean :(

Sorry, I know that every belief like this reflects onto real people and I often feel conflicted about it.

This exchange made me fuckin kek

>to kill a mocking bird
i thought everyone read that in highschool

As it can be seen, I’m not Murrican

It’s being scrubbed for being a manifesto on rape apology. Women are again more valued and important than blacks get with the times.

>a manifesto on rape apology
Elaborate?

Attached: 3165063E-F4D8-4562-99A1-192FBAFF1DCA.jpg (741x568, 61K)

Copleston's history of Philosophy is great, very based purchase.

oif.ala.org/oif/?p=16231

>Quantum Psychology
>The Illusions of Postmodernism
Top 10 books to read to look smart

Shouldn't it be quantum physics

Every brainlet thinks he knows about quantum physics from popsci YouTube videos nowadays so Quantum Psychology is more impressive.

So is quantum paychology just something made up?

BASED

Paglia ftw

What year is this from? What do the pages look like?

Attached: IMG_20190210_230639.jpg (2592x1456, 1021K)

>castle of crossed destinies by calvino (my first calvino read)
>thousand cranes by kawabata (first kawabata read)
>sense of an ending by julian barnes (second barnes book, really enjoyed nosie of time)

any particular thoughts on the calvino and kawabata book, lads?

>inbfour readlet
yes, i know. im learning, my friend, just like you

I've never heard of any of those authors. What have you read in the past?

Solid
Aight
Tight
Make sure not to take Robert Anton Wilson too seriously. He didn't understand how epistemology works.
I've been considering rereading some high school readers, partly out of historical interest. Teenagers are too stupid to really fully understand such things
Colorless book collections make me sad

Attached: 20190220_153635.jpg (5312x2988, 3.53M)

It's dated 1905. It has a few black and white illustrations.
I have a few other books like this (Iliad, Odyssey and the Nibelungenlied in two volumes). It's part of a series that was published 1902-1910 called "Illustrated Library of Great Writers".
The edges are usually covered in red paint, or have a "marbled" look. (Depending on which printing run you have. There is also a series with purple-leather covers.
There are like 30 something volumes like this, but most aren't really interesting. The few I have I only got because there was no other edition of the translations that these ones use. (Or no new edition at all, like with the text in the second volume of the Nibelungenlied, which is a Swedish and was never republished during the past ~110 years.)
I got hooked on "archaising" language during the past year or so, and it's pleasurable to read epics like this.

Attached: IMG_7007.jpg (4032x3024, 2.34M)

What I meant two write is that the Nibelungenlied's second volume has a Swedish epic (Frithiofsaga) bundled with it and that was never re-published again.
I just can't fucking word my thoughts for shit.

Why is this thread pinned ?

Attached: IMG_20190224_144851.png (1080x1060, 462K)

Based mods

Recently purchased the following books:

>Sense & sensibility
>Anna Karenina
>Mrs. Dalloway
>Hunger
>The Kreutzer sonata

Still waiting for them to arrive.

Attached: tolstoj_kreutzersonaten_omslag_inb.jpg (1042x1600, 187K)

ThriftBooks?

No, bought them new during a yearly sale at one of the larger book stores over here in Sweden.

no, hiro reads it before stripping it

I thought of a stripped paperback when reading your comment

this always confused me before I knew about what it meant. Like why would ripping covers off mean the author doesn't get paid? And why would people go around ripping off covers? And if someone ripped off their own cover would that make the book stolen? Thoughts I had when I was a kid.

No, it's good practice and you never know when they might stop stripping it, maybe the software gets bugged or something.

Attached: media-6210907763968969455.jpg (4032x3024, 3.09M)

>Le Double
lol

>not falling for the Markowicz meme
gg op, Le Double avec une vieille traduction c'est plus appréciable

Jai achetté ce qu'il y avait
Tbh folio éditions are good imo

Attached: badbait.jpg (1280x960, 178K)

I got a present from a friend after getting released from the ward so i thought i would splurge a bit

Attached: The books.jpg (3264x2448, 1.4M)

>culture
>value
Wittgenstein loved to write about what he lacked

I didn't

A few days ago I found these in a Bookoff.

Attached: P_20190225_044502_1.jpg (1608x1206, 408K)

oh dear

I got an old Navajo alcoholic to tell me a few Diné words today but I immediately forgot all of them

Pleb spotted

Attached: IMG_20190212_120917.jpg (2993x3849, 3.43M)

>defence

>having money
Still waiting for my paycheck so I can afford front headlights for my car and lightbulbs for my house

To be fair I bought my books from a thrift store and paid 50¢ for each paperback. That's the kind of money you can find in a grocery parking lot after 10 minutes of walking between the lots, at least that's what I do

Attached: books.jpg (3072x1728, 536K)

Re-reading classics you read in youth 20 years later is fun because you have a different perspective on life, thus you have new insights into the work. Good example - read The Old Man and the Sea at 16 then 40. It'll mean two different things to you.

Attached: pepe.jpg (1024x768, 137K)

I read it at 16 and it didn't really make much of an impact on me

kek

Just came in the post today

Attached: IMG_20190225_1525267.jpg (2704x4056, 2.33M)

weird flex but ok

absolutely degenerate

women are beautiful user

for me to poop on

mai sunt si romani pe aici

Ne trebuie o diagramă de genul ăsta pentru Mircea Eliade
Pardon, *îmi trebuie

Attached: Kafka_flowchart.jpg (1500x1348, 164K)

Cherrypicking names ending in -stein to post on /pol/ about?

>implying I’ll survive 20 more years

Is it bad bait because that translation of tlp is garbage?

Sorry, I should’ve written:
>Searching names of Jewish ending as to rage on /pol/ about them?
There you go, trochaic octameter. First line of the ‘Raven’ of Yea Forums.

These are the only 4 female authors I've read lol

The Book of Disquiet in portuguese

Attached: IMG_20190225_182608.jpg (2976x3968, 2.1M)

AP english core

Are you implie my english is bad??

Literally why

bingo

Nice stack. Do you plan on reading any of them?

Yes actually. I've just finished reading John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress" and I'm going to start with the Bell Jar today.

No, most of those books are assigned reading high school english classes

T. C. Boyle: The harder they come. Kind of picked it up out of the blue without knowing anything about Boyle. Eighty pages in and I enjoy it so far. Definitely a nice change from Gibson's "Neuromancer" and Hemingway's "For whom the Bell tolls" which I both put aside after having gotten halfway through.
Gonna start reading The Manchurian Candidate by Richard Condon next and then maybe "Homo Faber" by Max Frisch.

Attached: IMG_20190225_233616.jpg (2592x1944, 1.53M)

Currently reading the Landmark Caesar's Campaigns which I have gotten for Christmas and recently I bought the Roman history by Cassius Dio.

Attached: 51s8YViRPcL.jpg (467x500, 37K)

What the fuck is Quantum Psychology?

Exceptionally fucking based

Attached: 1408041554579.jpg (125x125, 3K)

Are you using dry-erase markers as highlighters?

why not?

My most recent purchases are a biography on Clarence Birdseye and an out of date book of restaurant reviews with hilariously savage descriptions.

Attached: 1494467770548.jpg (645x968, 47K)

A day without books is a lost day...

Attached: AFAF6AE2-A464-4D61-894F-92DFF02CE165.jpg (2835x2872, 1.47M)

Now that would be a good rabbit hole to go down. Another read similar to this is Game of Mates.

Just got this

Attached: IMG_4177.jpg (3024x4032, 1.39M)

Reading The Butcher's Tale, Game of Thrones, and For Whom the Bell Tolls.
Thinking about buying Dune, but I'm not sure if it's worth the time.

It's not. There, I saved you enough time to learn a musical instrument.

Pleasing digits

Could you elaborate? It's a theme that it's referred to as a classic and must-read

nice books, that whore

What's the best translation of the Iliad?

Attached: 20150913NextPage.jpg (1691x1012, 342K)

kys my friend.

Stupid was Jew

Fagles

I found it to be good enough and that's rare in sci-fi.

Mirin amigo

That Mein Kampf looks interesting. Is it the complete work?

The original work would be in german

No, it would not

This is not the Mein Kampf you are looking for...

Author: Knausgaard
Original Langauge: Norwegian
My Opinion: Middle-Brow, Overwrought, Engaging, Overrated

My most recent buys for leisure rather than study

Attached: E64BE73C-D236-4360-9A1E-FCA0A5E2B97F.jpg (2954x2954, 2.18M)

>lewis

based

Attached: IMG_0365.jpg (4032x3024, 1.79M)

>This is not the Mein Kampf you are looking for...
It is though. I'm Scandinavian myself, and the original title of both this work and Adolfs is the exact same, here. It's a bit of a joke
Thanks for the review though. How old is that copy?

>halo novels
based. I gave all mine away to my neighbors kids.

you're a good man.....
>picked this up at a goodwill for 50 cents, and decided that i need to spend more time reading.

It is the last of six and was released last year.

As you can see, though I’ve been critical of the series, it’s been compelling enough to entice me through the first five books. Why? Because it is relatable. For a certain demographic he describes experiences and moments that we (i.e. middle-age, middle-class, Western males) can understand.

By the way, the sixth book seems somewhat weaker than the earlier books.

You gotta start someplace. Keep reading.

szép

>reading women authors
Heh, miss me with that soap opera shit. I only read based and redpilled authors like Pessoa, Borges, Uncle Ted, and Dosto.

Köszönöm.

>a biography on Clarence Birdseye
So oddly specific it becomes interesting. What it’s title? I must learn more of the man who gave us frozen food.

(((Ludwig Wittgenstein)))

more like jewedyid yitzakhstein amirite?

Fagles.

Just finished the bell jar. It was definitely distressing. Will be reading P&P next.

(((Harold Bloom)))

based vorticist

Lattimore
People saying Fagles are probably underage

Complete 17 volume Burton translation of the 1,001 Nights

Attached: 20190226_233724.jpg (4128x3096, 3.32M)

Which one should I start with? Leaning toward Hamsun's 'Hunger' or Tolstoy's 'The Kreutzer Sonata'.

Attached: IMG_20190226_131502.jpg (2160x3840, 1.7M)

Recently finished
Meditations-Marcus Aurelius
100 pages in
Quiet the power of introverts in a world that can’t stop talking-Susan Cain
Waiting for in the mail
The Defining Decade: Why Your Twenties Matter--And How to Make the Most of Them Now-meg jay

Opinions? Oh sorry about the crappy formatting. I’m phoneposting

>Meditations-Marcus Aurelius
>phoneposting

say no more

Fagles. People saying Lattimore are probably boomers

What’re you trying to say?

I'm finding it pretty interesting at the moment, I always take everything with a pinch of salt though so I feel I'm safe from being indoctrinated into the Yiddish Bard Worship Society for now
*doffs cap*

Attached: IMG_20190227_222055.jpg (2048x1536, 1.99M)

Attached: IMG_20190227_222111.jpg (2048x1536, 1.95M)

>no reverse image search results

Attached: 7EFD5304-CC51-428C-9598-6E7BA7964841.jpg (680x340, 38K)

Seriously though, why keep so many? Is it because you don't read, and just use them as decorations? Or do you view it as a statussymbol? You are clearly not going to re-read all of those, that's for sure

How do you become a better writer and write stories well?

Attached: F45E2C87-C54B-4AAA-82EC-DB71180D5809.jpg (4032x3024, 2.03M)

why would he throw them away? don't mention mari kondo in your answer or i will shatter your face.

I think the reason why Kondo makes incels mad is because Peterson only makes them tidy their room, and not go so far as to chuck out their manchild-consumer toy fetish.

Fuck Mari Kondo. The question is why he would keep them. Once read, they have done their duty. Unless, of course, he has some other use for them, or plan to re-read them (as in, he is sure that he will). Keeping so many seems purposeless

non-fiction books will always serve a purpose in case you want to look up stuff or refresh certain chapters. also, i would never give away my copy of journey to the end of the night for example, even if i'm probably not going to re-read it any time soon.

Make sure you read Submission after reading Against Nature. You'll appreciate it that extra bit more.

>non-fiction books will always serve a purpose in case you want to look up stuff or refresh certain chapters.
Yea, that's what people tell themselves. But in reality, they will never use the vast majority for that either. Why would you never depart from your 'journey to the end of the night'? And do you have a 'relationship' like that to many books, or just that one?

>Why would you never depart from your 'journey to the end of the night'?
because it's based and red pilled
>And do you have a 'relationship' like that to many books, or just that one?
yes, the ones i enjoyed very much. i don't see what's supposed to be wrong with that.

Thanks, Atomised was my first Houellebecq and it grabbed my attention so much I read it in less than a day, so definitely looking forward to his other books.

>because it's based and red pilled
By that logic I should hoard most of what I read
>yes, the ones i enjoyed very much. i don't see what's supposed to be wrong with that.
There's nothing wrong with that. But where's the limit? How much do you have to enjoy something, for you to justify not departing with it, even when you don't plan to use it again?

Attached: bookz.jpg (3264x1836, 1.24M)

Because I purchased them 1 day ago and am in the process of starting an independent secondhand bookstore? Haven't read them, I haven't even looked at them yet. You hypocritical cunt

I like eastern literature.

Attached: books.png (1500x907, 2.26M)

Yes I'm aware Siddhartha was written by a German

>paying money for books in the public domain
aylay mao @ ur life fampai

used at my local library for pocket change

mega ultra based