What literature would you reccomend to get an elementary school kid into reading?

What literature would you reccomend to get an elementary school kid into reading?

Attached: ricardo2.jpg (696x392, 19K)

What does the kid like?

Usual kid stuff, police, firefighter, astronauts and ninjas

he also spends a lot of time watching youtube and playing minecraft

I myself started with The Hobbit when I was in the 2nd class so probably this

harry potter

Terry Pratchett wrote some decent fantasy books for children. The Amazing Maurice and his Educated Rodents, for example.

Maybe you could let the child choose for themself. I don’t know if you’re a teacher or a family member, but you could go to either a bookstore or the library and just show them around and ask about what they want to know more about and what kind of stories they’d want to read about. It's really important that you let the child decide what to read to instill an early love of literature.

Read Summa Theologia to him. If he seems to lose track, don't be afraid to use mental and physical violence

Dino Buzzati Il deserto dei tartari ( As a child, I viewed the world into two types of people: those who read the deserto and were therefore marked by it, and the rest. Francois Mitterand, who was not my cup of tea, seduced me when on the literary panel Apostrophes he went on and on passionately talking about the book --"j'ai été marqué par ce livre", he said, his eyes gleaming).
Albert Cohen Belle du seigneur (A Proust, but with a Levantine soul and personal manners, and aggressively heterosexual. )
Valdimir Nabokov Marenshka, his (first?) novel, when he was an exile in Berlin, before he became complicated. I reread & reread the final scene.
Patrick Modiano Villa triste ("Je m'attachais à elle comme un noyé").
Graham Greene The End of the Affair
Michel Déon Un taxi mauve (I've read it six times; people tell me he is a médiocre writer --I don't know what médiocre means)
Graham Greene The Burnt-Out Case
Louis-Ferdinand Céline Voyage au bout de la nuit
Marcel Proust A l'ombre des jeunes filles en fleurs (The second book)
Marcel Proust Albertine disparue (Proust is more limpid towards the middle/end)
Pierre-Jean Jouve Paulina 1881 (I never understood why I keep reading it)
Julian Barnes Flaubert's Parrot
Thomas Mann Death in Venice
Thomas Mann The Magic Mountain
Andre Breton Najda
Alessandro Barrico, Seta
W. Somerset Maugham The Razor's Edge
George Orwell Keep the Aspidistra Flying
Marguerite Yourcenar, Mémoires d'Hadrien ( Animula, vagula, blandula / hospes comesque corporis / quæ nunc abibis in loca / pallidula, rigida, nudula / nec, ut soles, dabic jocos" ).
André Malraux La condition humaine
Robert Graves I Claudius
André Maurois Climats
Maurice Barrès La colline inspirée . Barrès is the finest French prose, emotional, unhindered with intellectualism, grand, ambitious, incantatory, uninhibited. In a way like Malraux, but without the show-off, he does not try to impress you as much. [There is nothing wrong for a writer to show-off; when he has charm...]
Dino Buzzati Un amore, the story (no doubt autobiographical) of a refined and cultured man who falls in love (beyond the point of relinquishing his dignity) with a dancer & occasional prostitute. [I recently discovered that Buzzati actually married her & that she is still alive in Milan]
Alain-Fournier Le grand maulnes
Lawrence Durell Justine
Ernest Hemingway The Sun Also Rises
Anita Brookner Hotel du Lac
Gregor von Rezzori Memoirs of an Antisemite
Lawrence Durell Cléa
John Steinbeck Tortilla Flat
Italo Svevo Una vita
Jorje Luis Borges, Ficciones
Elsa Morante La storia
Nina Berberova The Tattered Cloak & other stories
Amin Maalouf Léon l'africain ("ils etaient amis en silence")
Elias Canetti Auto-da-fé
Alain de Botton How Proust Can Change Your Life
Graham Greene Travels with my Aunt

Start small.

Start with a mixture of Greek myths, Bible stories, simple adventure novels and maybe even horror. The key is to read them stuff that's exciting and imaginative so they get hooked at s young age. Ideally, you want them to go through their YA novel reading phase as young as possible, so they can then move on to bigger things on their own terms.

More importantly, don't do something autistic like this> >12650064
You want to get them into reading. You can't throw them in at the deep end until you've eased them into the water first.

That sounds like an idea

ill look into that

Its for my little brother, I intend to give the books to him as a birthday gift, there arent really any bookstores around here, the only ones that are are pretty terrible and have nothing I would personally read
Hes definitely a smart kid but consumes mindless garbage way too much because he was basically raised by a smartphone

This. The Hobbit is excellent.
Stick with the classics.
Wind in the Willows is one of the GOAT children's books. Find a nice illustrated edition.

The little prince

Normally you can't go wrong with fantasy.
My little sister who's also in elementary school really loves Die unendliche Geschichte for instance.

I completely forgot about that one! It was the first book I borrowed from the school library back when I was in 2nd grade too and I loved it, thanks

Roald Dahl, Llemony Snickett, Lewis Carol, childrens abridged versions of classics (especially mythology). Anything that they can associate themselves with a character, or where the merits of reading are praised in the book (ie: matilda, encyclopedia brown)

You gotta limit electronic usage and get him to spend X tine per day reading to get it to be a habit. Dont be militant but pad their ego when they read so they understand "if i read, i get praise." Also be supportive of anything they want to read and read in front of them. Take them to the library and for a picnic on a weekend or something. Make reading an enjoyable experience.

Hegel you faggot

Attached: D37EC6F6-005B-4030-B3F2-25913CC57ADB.jpg (250x187, 5K)

this is not at all what you'd recommend for an elementary school kid... unless I just don't understand 'elementary'
good list though

The Child of the Open Sea by Supervielle

Greek Myths.

The Wind in the Willows

>americans

The Very Hungry Caterpillar

who are you trying to groom, pervert?