Are there any highschool English teachers here?

Are there any highschool English teachers here?

I'm thinking of training to become one at the age of 27, but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Attached: deadpoets.jpg (1600x900, 164K)

English like literature or as a foreign language?
Depending on your country and place, being a high school teacher can be quite comfy or strongly depressing. I guess it's always possible to move abroad if you have high schools in foreign countries, where the students are usually richer and smarter and will be more likely to respect your knowledge.

I assume you live in the west. Our culture is degenerate and vile, and thus teachers are not respected; instead they are expected to put up with all manners of abuse and disrespect from the monstrous youth they are paid to "instruct." Also you are walking into what is increasingly a political minefield. I don't think you should aspire to such a career.

English literature as a first language.

>but I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Why would you think this would be a good idea? Think back to how you and your classmates treated your English teachers, or just teachers in general. Would you want to change places?

What have you been doing, OP?

I am also thinking about going down the teacher path. I have been in tech but it is a soul killing slog.

No. Become a janitor instead.

>English teacher here

There is some truth to this, but it’s very doomer. You will always have a few students who are bright and interested to make it worth the whole thing.

The pay is shit, unless you work in the public school system in Canada or something like that. But you get to interact with Literature all the time, rereading great works and getting to know them inside and out.

>Become high school teacher
>Introduce yourself to class at the start of the year
>Each student gives their name and gender identity along with preferred pronouns
>Three students identify as transgender (including a rare xir/xim type)
>Accidentally misgender one of them when calling them out for a question
>They complain to the principal about your bigotry and you are suspended pending an investigation
>Attend mandated gender inclusivity training to keep your job
>Instructed to ensure that gender inclusivity becomes an integral part of your curriculum

>the pay is shit
>t. makes at least 40k doing a part time job
start slinging coffee during your half a year off you lazy fag

I'm an English teacher. Yesterday I had three grade 8 lessons in the morning and two grade 12 lessons in the afternoon, so it was a pretty convenient schedule, and I even had a spare block. What can I say? Sometimes the stars align. We're studying "Native Son" in grade 12, so I prepped Monday's lesson then. Thankfully, the kids are going to spend most of the class writing their essays about why Bigger was justified in what he did. One of the grade 11 gangbangers anally raped the other English teacher in her car in the parking lot at gunpoint last month and she's on medical leave (suicide attempt in hospital), so I'm pulling double duty, so I'm usually 6 classes a day now, so yesterday was a godsend with just 5 lessons. The grade 8 class is studying "The Trials of Apollo: Book One: The Hidden Oracle" for the LGBT content. Most of the kids in that grade can't read English, so we just review our ABCs for 20 minutes at the start of class, then the English speakers read the book while the Spanish speakers socialize and freestyle rap. We've found that this is the best way to keep violence to a minimum. Luckily for me, with such a routine structure I don't have to do much planning, just a 5 minute intro. One of the history teachers wants me to help with grading essays for Holocaust class, so I might have to stay late on Monday night to help with that, but other than that next week looks like smooth sailing. I'm just taking it easy this weekend, chilling on the chan and letting my stab would breathe. AMA

How is “the pay shit”? A lot of times you work until 3 in the day, you get extra money to cover classes when teachers are absent, you can run clubs/teams after school for extra money as well. If you’re from NY you work 165 days a year and receive generous medical and dental benefits in the public schools. All you even need is a bachelors to begin and then you get like 5 years or so to get a Masters WHILE you work so it’s not even like you’re on massive debt unless you’re an idiot who went to extremely expensive undergrad for the ‘experience’. You can even start as a classroom para and the system does everything it can to help you become a teacher.

This is more of the concern. If obvious agendas do not crush your soul then you will be fine but there are big pushes now, at least in my city, for things like “equity” which can mean whatever the powers at be what it to mean. Unless you’re in a very advanced school that greatly exceeds city/state requirements, you will be beholden to whatever new curriculum the higher ups are demanding (and this is a frequently changing so the HW, for you, is never done).

>Think back to how you and your classmates treated your English teachers
I remember someone calling him a faggot and he got really mad and kicked him out of class.

And do it for free.

>This is more of the concern. If obvious agendas do not crush your soul then you will be fine but there are big pushes now, at least in my city, for things like “equity” which can mean whatever the powers at be what it to mean. Unless you’re in a very advanced school that greatly exceeds city/state requirements, you will be beholden to whatever new curriculum the higher ups are demanding (and this is a frequently changing so the HW, for you, is never done).
Don't forget that students can also record you with their cell phones in case you step out of line.

Two of my friends did Teach for America after college.

One got sent to Hawaii. The other got sent to Nigtown USA, where he was promptly stabbed. He's a master carpenter now, so all is well.

I work in private international school with no benefits and pretty insulting remuneration desu.

Good post

OP here. I also work in tech, albeit a low-skill role.

I'm moving back to my hometown soon, and need to earn skills if I want to find a job there.

I don’t get a half year off numbnuts. My school runs year-round.

>One of the grade 11 gangbangers anally raped the other English teacher in her car in the parking lot at gunpoint last month and she's on medical leave (suicide attempt in hospital)

shit dude

was she hot?

>be me
>about to graduate with BA in English/Literature and become a teacher
>first we need to do 4 weeks of internship at some school
>99% of the students are retarded and don't give a fuck
>this will be my life
>dropped out

Attached: 1523823641576.png (1000x1000, 77K)

What's your plan?

Student teaching this semester, and I'm actually grading the summative assessment of the unit I +have to submit to the state right now. Sucks to see that usual suspects did shitty. Even though plenty of students did well, I feel like a monkey could have taught to them and they would do well.

currently getting a bus driver licence, i love driving a bus