I'd really like to get some of my books custom bound...

I'd really like to get some of my books custom bound. Is there any really nice places to get my books custom bound for a couple hundred dollars max?

Attached: 43582848_483078485509483_8675644478322638848_n.jpg (960x960, 43K)

bump

The old man at the counter of your local second-hand bookstore probably knows

Yes, search for bookbinders within driving range, and go there to meet the main man (it's probably a man). Ask at a local bookshop or antiquarian store of they can recommend someone.
If there's a university in your city or nearby, there'll be some bookbinders doing theses etc, they may well be able to do finer work too if you ask nicely.
t. someone with a shitload of custom-bound old books.

where's the pic from, OP?

Could you share a picture of some of your favorite custom bound books, if you would be so kind?

Unfortunately it's from Inuyasha, but I really like the picture and it's allusions to Hamlet.

>Animefag getting his books bound
Cringe. Will you put them on a shelf with your anime dolls?

*its
Nice attempt at a clever post, though.

I did a year or 2 ago. Let me see if I can find the pics or take new ones.
I have maybe 3 or 4 done in plain buckram (gilt titles on spine, some on front cover too, not always), and maybe a dozen done with marbled boards as covers. Looks pretty cool, even if it's not as strong or hard-wearing as buckram. Most of these books are old, maybe late 19th century, and a bit fragile so this helps preserve them.

I've had e-books (self-designed or facsimiles) printed and bound in cloth, again just for convenience. I dislike reading good stuff on screen.

Poverty tourism would do him some good

ok thx, yeah it's a cool image. she's really pretty, i wish she would be my nurturing dominant gf

I would appreciate that, thank you.

what kind of books are we talking about? how many? what kind of style you want? what's your budget? Etc.
Maybe if you answer these questions we can give you some advice.

Well, for books which are really special to me, like The Book of Disquiet and The Chants of Maldoror, or the rare Charles Feidelson Jr translation of Moby Dick, I wouldn't mind paying a couple hundred per book, perhaps bound in leather with marble panels or marble end papers, or something like that. For the rest of my stuff, like my copies of Nietzsche translated by Walter Kaufmann which only come in paperback, I would want those bound in buckram.

>Charles Feidelson Jr translation
I meant annotation.

Ok I see. Well you are about on course for budget for leather at any rate. It's not cheap, but it's worth it.
I would be wary about using online services without having talked to the binder and seen what they can do, for anything other than generic work.

Most of my work has not been very high end, very few leather bindings, and then, nothing exquisite, but that's fine, for now. I did have a marbled board box set made for a set of 3 first ed. books by one of my favourite authors I had rebound in buckram, 2 of which are signed. So that was worth it.

Most of the rest (non ebook) have either been old and battered but somewhat rare volumes, some off-prints or pamphlets I wanted in more durable format, and a couple of booklets too.

I suppose I would have to make it a once a year excursion, doing one book per year, if I were to make a very fancy book. I could imagine it would be very costly. For the rest of my stuff, I also just want something more durable, I don't like paperbacks. I have big sweaty hands which wear down covers, and my backpack which I'm always throwing reading material in chews up books. Penguin classics in particular don't stand a chance.

well make sure you have nice editions worth binding, or start getting Folio Society editions instead and leave them at home.
For the rest, you could get them rebound in buckram for durability etc.

That is certainly a good idea. I do collect Folio Society and Easton Press, but the reason I want custom bound books is because some books simply don't come in nice editions, or even hardcovers. I've spent years trying to find a hardcover edition of the Charles Fiedelson Jr annotated Moby Dick.

well get thee to a good bookbinder. the personal touch is important.
will see about some pics.