Harry Potter is the worst thing that ever happened on western literature. Prove me wrong

Harry Potter is the worst thing that ever happened on western literature. Prove me wrong.

Attached: s-l1000.jpg (960x900, 131K)

I'm calling your bluff.

Attached: Twilight White.jpg (465x345, 38K)

Why?

"No!"

You are completely right and I'm only here to concur with your opinion.

based

witchcraft isnt for kids

Romanticism ending, so I'd say mid-18th century was far more devastating for the arts in the long run

>romanticism didn't last well into the 20th century
*ahem*

Attached: D1W1pleQ.png (518x680, 201K)

Sure, there are threads of it until WWI (and quite good ones even) but positivism killed off shit like Goethean science, which was probably the last stop to get off the modernism train

*blocks your path*

Attached: ayn-.jpg (918x645, 60K)

politics aside, Rand's work is an exemplary synthesis of Romantic idealism and Modernist aesthetics.
that is all.

The worst parts of both?

d..d..did i stutter?

Based rhetorical retort

It all started with America and the rise of pop fiction. Tfu on Lovecraft

What do you mean it's the worst thing that ever happened to western literature? It's not literature. It hasn't afflicted western literature because it's so far removed from it.

who /here/ hasn't read one page of harry potter?

Fuck you, faggot, Lovecraft was fine. Perhaps stop taking Mythos as fantasy stories of big scary monsters and consider the effect of unknown horror on the human psyche?

>I hate fun

I haven't read any but I've seen the films.

POPULAR THING BAD
OBSCURE THING GOOD

Attached: 9489984651.jpg (728x546, 44K)

>I didn't read the book but I watched the movie
I hate this fucking board, is there some other website I can go to?

No, it's just bad... Obscure things can be bad as well.

I do admit his creativity but he was awful as a writer and completely turned the horror genre from it's gothic roots into a fantasy tabletop meme.

Long live Walpole and Shelley.

>the effect of unknown horror on the human psyche
He didn't do that whole "fear of the unknown" thing with his own intend. It was just because he was loo lazy and bad at describing things.

>"uhh, I'm trying to write about some 30ft long alien squid with demonic powers, but I'm too bad at descriptions"
>"I know, let's just write it was too "unintelligibly scary to explain"

Yes

What a shit take on Lovecraft. He did describe some really fucked up things well, but he used it sparingly, see the fracturing of identity passage from the Mountain of Madness story

Attached: 2c816a97b86b00c74a175674500c340b.jpg (425x596, 59K)

Absolutely. I fucking hate Harry Potter

>but he used it sparingly
Wew, is this what Lovecraft apologists are trying to pull on these days? I can see that literature is not for you if Lovecraft can manage to impress you with his incredibly weak prose. Lovecraft fans belong to /tg/ more than Yea Forums to be honest at where you can do roleplay with his manchild fantasies at your heart's content.

I liked how it got kids into reading but the fact that this was the only thing some kids willingly read is sad.

I think maybe this worst thing to happen in western fiction.

However, Marx's works were the worst thing in western literature as a whole.

Popular things can be good, but usually are only popular because of a cheap mass appeal which comes to the detriment of anything approaching a "refined" taste. Obscure things can be good for the same reason. They were not written for the unwashed masses.

I liked it.

>He didn't do that whole "fear of the unknown" thing with his own intend. [sic]
His "intend" is irrelevant.

Critical Theory

"Gothic roots" is a cringey meme. Formulaic soap operas with 800 pages of filler. There are less than 5 five good Gothic novels and not one of them stood the test of time. HPL merged Horror with SF and saved it from it self.

Wow, wasn't expecting that. Actually forgot they even existed, but you're right.

It may not be the worst thing to ever happen, but it certainly is one of the dullest franchises in the history of movie franchises. Seriously each episode following the boy wizard and his pals from Hogwarts Academy as they fight assorted villains has been indistinguishable from the others. Aside from the gloomy imagery, the series’ only consistency has been its lack of excitement and ineffective use of special effects, all to make magic unmagical, to make action seem inert.

Perhaps the die was cast when Rowling vetoed the idea of Spielberg directing the series; she made sure the series would never be mistaken for a work of art that meant anything to anybody, just ridiculously profitable cross-promotion for her books. The Harry Potter series might be anti-Christian (or not), but it’s certainly the anti-James Bond series in its refusal of wonder, beauty and excitement. No one wants to face that fact. Now, thankfully, they no longer have to.

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a walk, the author wrote instead that the character "stretched his legs."

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Rowling's mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that she has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of Harry Potter by the same Stephen King. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading Harry Potter at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Stephen King." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "Harry Potter" you are, in fact, trained to read Stephen King.

Attached: bookshelf.jpg (1623x2886, 1.27M)

It wasn't Spielberg you nonce. M. Night. Shyalaman was slated to direct all the films and they were going to do one a year.

uh- hum

so you bastards hav never read the CHERUB books have you?

>There are less than 5 five good Gothic novels and not one of them stood the test of time
>What is Dracula
>What is Frankenstein
>What is Murders in the Rue Morgue
>What is The Man Who Laughs
>What is Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
>What is Great Expectations
>What is The Picture of Dorian Gray
I can just go like this for hours, just to prove how full of shit you are.

Hey, they were good!
By which I mean, of course, that I enjoyed them when I was twelve.

Happened *to* western literature.

The printing press was the worst thing to happen to western literature

>American's don't know the word 'Philosopher'

There is literally nothing wrong with liking Harry Potter.

Attached: screencap.png (1190x68, 103K)

Women being allowed to write is the worst thing that ever happened on western literature.

I'm dead serious, you can tell if a book was written by a woman and it's never a positive.

Harry Potter trained me to read hundreds of pages instead of being intimidated by big books. Eventually I read War and Peace. I'm now reading Proust. Fuck off.

>Austen, Frankenstein, F. O'Conner, Mr. G. Elliot, Tartt, St. Therese, and at least one of the Brontes, are negative inclusions to western literature

Attached: 1385875905877.gif (500x280, 506K)

The fact you forgot says that it wasn't as damaging. You'll never forget Harry Potter and neither will anyone else.

How? They're just kids books, no?

Unfortunately. Doubly so as long as Rowling keeps spouting her hack nonsense retcons on twitter.

Did I stutter?

>Frankenstein

it didn't get kids into reading anything other than harry potter over and over

>not recognizing possibly the most posted pasta on Yea Forums

Everybody already forgot about Harry Potter except for a board in 4chin and some plebbitors

I recently went back to school, and there are girls there into HP who were in elementary school when the last book was published, and grew up watching the movies first.

Harry Potter is still a cultural phenomenon

Underage out

How many “what Hogwarts house would you be in” Buzzfeed quizzes have you done? Be honest.

based