Just bought Gravity's Rainbow as my first Pynchon book. Did I mess up?

just bought Gravity's Rainbow as my first Pynchon book. Did I mess up?

Attached: 1491180571808.jpg (2200x3037, 1.38M)

yes

start with the greeks

when you finish, please tell me what happens to slothrop

It's best to start with V.

It's actually a sequel to V.
many significant characters reappear.
This isn't mentioned enough.

well that's not really of use now is it?

the joke is V2, for that rocket eh?

nor is your brain, ever

jesus christ

Is it actually or is this a meme?

It is actually.
Brigadier Pudding, Weissman (the Antagonist of GR), and many others all appeared first in V

Thanks user, I'll slide it into my reading list

I was just going to go straight from CoL49 to GR

Attached: drinktea.jpg (225x225, 7K)

not really a sequel in the sense that the story is a continuation, or that you can't enjoy GR without having read V., but yes, characters from V. do appear in GR, so optimally read V. first.

Calling it a sequel is kind of disingenuous. There isn't a contiguous plot or character development between the two, it's mostly just references.

You should probably read The Crying of Lot 49 first

Holy shit user. You’re right. Cheers

Attached: CAD2AADF-4DE5-4D8C-95CD-B7C6DB0E947A.png (698x443, 240K)

holy schlep

Attached: 1432421372983.jpg (600x600, 58K)

I started there too and think it's a very good introduction. It's his best book so it features his best and most difficult writing alongside his funniest comic scenes. You should go in knowing that you are not going to catch all the references and details and will have to read it at least two more times. Once more with a companion guide after having read V., Moby Dick, Pynchon criticism, and all of his other major work, and finally a third time purely for pleasure. The first read gives you just a rough sketch of Gravity's Rainbow which will make subsequent readings easier; anybody who claims to have an informed opinion on GR after one single read is lying.

bodine is another big one

mmm M&D's better

start with the prehistorics

Enzian straps him into the 00001 as its living Imipolex-G guidance system

I wonder if Crying of Lot 49 is more entry-level Pynchon?

That's exactly what it is.

besides characters reappearing V. deals with world war 1 so it makes sense to read it first
calling it a sequel is pushing it tho
yes
Inherent Vice is even more so

yes, but its kind of weird, at the same time it is kind of entry level, it is best to read it after having read some pynchon so that you can properly appreciate it.
V. > Lot 49 > GR still is, in my opinion, the optimal route.

...didn't he just fade away into nothing? isn't that the point

I read it first, reading COL49 now and I have no regrets, just jump into it if you really want to read it

Yes