What are the worst sci-fi cliches?

what are the worst sci-fi cliches?

Attached: 35928.jpg (223x226, 13K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants_(series)
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Dumb aliens.

If theyre smart enough to get to earth, their smart enough to eradicate a bunch of hairless apes.

The creature that only a character can see is real.

Redirect people from the science fiction general here. I don't read SF but this thread sounds interesting.

Would there be a difference between a sci-fi trope and a cliché?

Attached: Stardance cover.jpg (341x562, 84K)

aliens and space don't even exist outside the minds of autists. The subconscious and religion are the true frontiers, space is just a pointless shiny backdrop.

>Stars are just sand from god's shoes.
Sci-fi clichés, not fantasy clichés

The entire genre is a cliche, it's like the folk-mythology of technological-industrial-scientific civilization. The LACK of imagination is the most striking feature.

my bad, I was just explaining that all sci-fi is fantasy though

>Absurdly optimistic humanocentrism where the universe is manifest destiny for humanity and humans are inexplicably special
>Absurdly pessimistic antihumanism where humans are uncommonly barbaric morons and all other species treat them like evil retards

Attached: cooks.png (285x336, 116K)

Oh.. I misconstrued

seems narcissistic af with contemptuous and contemptible stages. last psych was right

It's a gnostic parable.

>humans discover a mysterious Dyson sphere.
getting real tired of this shit lately.

>Earth is now called 'Terra'.
This really bugs me. Even a lot of great SF works do this, and it's just lazy.

>Earth is called 'Terra'
>one world government runs the show

>Humans are atheist
>Alien races are religious

The whole genre I think is pretty meaningless now that we have gotten into space and essentially explored, at least by a flyby, the other world's in our Solar System. There are no beautiful psychic Bradbury Martians nor any ancient Heinlein Martian canals to ice skate on...nor are there any Lewisian Green Lady Eve's to learn theology from...Those stories still work as social commentary or adventure stories but that is not the reality of space travel...

>money is called credits

Attached: UBWiC1X.jpg (399x388, 24K)

Perelandra is an excellent work. Somehow I think that this story will be remembered long after the rest of modern sci-fi is forgotten...

>citizens of colonized planets all have the exact same personality traits
>everyone wanks over scientists, unless they happen to be incredibly obviously flawed

Species are monocultural

Bro there are space nazis

You mean the Blond Nordic clones who started the Third Reich? Definitely not a reason to travel into Space...

Aliens are just green humans.

nonwhites in space

Space Elves.

>future humans start manifesting psychic powers

The mysterious ancient civilization with crazy technology that disappeared but left all their shit behind all over the universe. Bonus points if this ties into an ancient evil awakening.

considering the world is nigger loving and by 2100, mongrels will reign supreme, nonwhites in space is pretty accurate unfortunately

humans surviving late into the future
humans somehow not being constantly at war
humans being atheist
humans making groundbreaking technology that no other race has yet\
humans being more special than other races
humans also being inherently unintelligent, less physically adept than other races yet still overcome the strongest adversity
a strong reliance on humans just fucking being random xdxd rawr xdd fucking end this shit now

basically humans are the worst part of sci fi novels. The aliens are just reskinned humans with human emotions and human personalities and human ideals and human religions and human democracies

I love the Green Lady in Lewis's PERELANDRA. Lewis was really writing a religious book and used sci-fi memes and tropes to make his point concerning modern atheism in the scientific community and his take on the Garden of Eden. C.S. Lewis states in one of his Essays that he used to lunch with Sir Fred Hoyle (Astronomer Royale author of Red Giants and White dwarfs ) at Oxford and knew that the planet Venus was almost certainly lifeless...

>what are the worst sci-fi cliches?

FTL

>hairless
speak for yourself faggot

>tfw my sci-fi novel has none of the cliches posted in this thread
Feels good.

I fcking love space elves
ELDAR SUPREMACY

Epic star fleet battles
>naval battles but bigger in space
Alien species (humanlike)
>foreigners in space but from further away
Alien species (alien)
>exotic species in space
Surviving the coldness of space
>frontier in space but harsher
Cataclysmic cosmic phenomena destroying entire worlds
>volcanoes in space but bigger destroying towns in space but bigger

What else did this than Mass Effect?

Books on this? I notice it's intertwined with ""science"" related discussions online. Like, they can't distinguish between that folk mythology and reality.

Firefly, but that's not a book.

The Expanse

This applies to genre fiction in general, the writers aren't capable of exploring something alien. They just can't understand or empathise with something outside of their well-ingrained experience, worldview, and dogma. They can't even do it for different layers of American society, let alone different human cultures. It's not so much about reskinned humans but reskinned young urbanite Americans.

Halo

Everybody ripping off 40k lol

why did space elves work, but space dwarves got, well, squatted?

Well..a little bit off -topic but I thought that the Aliens in Arrival we're good depictions of some being that was truly alien...

the aliens in arrival, were the whites and the humans were everyone else. The aliens were a supreme being with an advanced dialect who wanted to share something with another culture - basically modern day america with africans

the only universal thing across the galaxies to every species that exists is slavery

Throwing in some Latin words is hardly original.

Almost every allegory for racism

What about the Chinese general?

Oh... more more!

came here to post this

>pointless shiny backdrop.
More like the theater.

>that anti-gravity engine that allows things to float for absolutely NO reason

Attached: 991C77E7-CC43-4751-8BEA-01E802E71A47.jpg (519x366, 202K)

The gravity engine that allows things to walk under 1G annoys me more.

gratia, frater

Stargate is another one. Mass Effect was based on a science fiction novel called Revelation Space, and Halo on Ringworld.

IKTF but for fantasy. It’s kind of painful because whenever I’m in /tg/ and generic questions get asked I have no answers because generic questions never apply to my setting.

SF authors were calling Earth 'Terra' long before 40K newfag.

>doesn't give a single example
Yeah whatever boomer

if anyone's wondering
that's the cover of Paul Hogan's Inherit The Stars
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giants_(series)

>He later asked Arthur C. Clarke about the meaning of the ending of 2001, to which Clarke reportedly replied that while the ending of Hogan's Inherit the Stars made more sense, the ending of 2001 made more money.[1]

Attached: 220px-Inherit-Stars.jpg (220x373, 36K)

The Variable Man, 1953

Is that good?

there*

so fucking legit

I dunno dude, I haven't read it, but I generally like pkd's early and mid-career novels. I don't know when "terra" was first used in sf but it was probably long before pkd as well.

The benevolent and universal "Federation" style government. It's lazy and homosexual.

It's always dreamed up by faggots who dream of working for the UN or an NGO.

Attached: alium.jpg (529x700, 139K)

>space nazis
How do I meet them

alastair reynolds ruined that series with redemption ark

god i wish i never read that piece of steaming horse shit

Knight of the Old Republic which was basically a template of Mass Effect. This plot cliche is super common. I've always assumed it comes from Dark Age history (exploitation of Roman infrastructure, Hunnic invasions, etc.) like maybe some folklore that's popular in east Europe or something. Who knows.

OK cool thanks man!
I genuinely though that it started with Warhammer 40k! ahaha!

A Fire upon the Deep

>aliens and space don't even exist outside the minds of autists. The subconscious and religion are the true frontiers, space is just a pointless shiny backdrop.
So the cosmos is full of aliens but they're all immersed in VR.

>he honestly prefers being called an "Earthling" and not a "Terran"

Attached: 1547555431344.jpg (1024x587, 64K)

Listen to Pink Floyd backwards

Asimov, 1950s by year of publication, 1940s the time the guy had the idea.

Human actually, or just Man.
Earthling sounds gay as well.

I thought it would be obvious to anybody who actually reads SF.
Starship Troopers is a perfect example: pre40K, Earth is called Terra, and it even has Space Marines!

Berserker by Fred Saberhagen
Heeche Saga by Frederik Pohl
Heritage Universe
Galactic Center Saga
And there are a lot more,it's pretty common,specially in older works

Yes, read Phyl-Undhu

Don't worry, that guy you replied to is retarded.

>Starship Troopers
sounds like a 40k ripoff

>Asimov
lol ok whatever

The only sci-fi I've really gotten into was Cowboy Bebop, and that was just because the sci-fi elements were a backdrop to the other genres the series delved into.

>Published in 1961 and literally created the concept of space-marines
>40k ripoff
The absolute state of /tg/ poster

while a big part of why i love CB are the visuals and music, it'd be cool if there were any books that were thematically similar