Why did great writers like Hemingway, Hunter S.Thompson and David Foster Wallace kill themselves?

Why did great writers like Hemingway, Hunter S.Thompson and David Foster Wallace kill themselves?

Attached: dfw.jpg (602x329, 85K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/9WIbwxGPA30
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>great writers like Hemingway, Hunter S.Thompson and David Foster Wallace

>great
>Hunter S. Thompson
>Hemingway

ill health
cancer
fraud

I wish dfw killed himself as soon as he finished infinite jest

DFW had clinical depression and problems with some pills.
inb4 retarded pasta. Fuck you.

>great writers
>Hemingway, Hunter S.Thompson and David Foster Wallace
hmmmm

Disgusting fish lips

If only the piece of shit dfw killed himself earlier

Why would you say this, you hateful hissyfitting heshe?

I took a creative nonfiction course with him at Ponoma back in '94. We weren't allowed to show anyone our essays outside of the class for some reason. He seemed naturally intelligent, didnt need to look at any notes or textbooks or prepare for any lectures, he just knew his stuff and was super casual.

I saw him talking to a girl on campus one day. He uncharacteristically wore a Fila sweatsuit, the kind that looks like it's made from the same material as parachutes, and trainer sneakers with a matching bandana. That was his pussy hunt outfit apparently. Several times a week, same outfit, I'd see him hitting on women in it. I once saw him wearing it while carrying an identical outfit from the dry cleaners, he had like 4 sets of same Fila sweatsuit.

I asked him about it in class and he said we aren't allowed to discuss anything unrelated to class while inside class, the same way we can't show anyone outside of class our essays. A student called out "but Dostoevsky isn't in this class and last week you talked about replicating his black tea obsession to test its affects on your own writing". Wallace stared blankly at the student with dead eyes for 30 seconds in dead silence then said "you just got knocked down a full letter grade. Any other smart asses? Didn't think so." and pushed up his glasses with his index finger.

I remember telling myself this guy will either be super successful or kill himself.

>He uncharacteristically wore a Fila sweatsuit, the kind that looks like it's made from the same material as parachutes, and trainer sneakers with a matching bandana. That was his pussy hunt outfit apparently. Several times a week, same outfit, I'd see him hitting on women in it. I once saw him wearing it while carrying an identical outfit from the dry cleaners, he had like 4 sets of same Fila sweatsuit.

as a tracksuit aficionado who once - full cringe disclosure - dressed in a full adidas suit (shoes/headband included) for a 2nd-year uni class; respect.

>Hemmingway
Agree
>DFW, HST
Disagree

Pretty good pasta

Because despite being "successful" they were still fucked up human beings that suffered, hence the alcoholism of Hemingway, the drug use of HST and the narcissism of DFW.

Attached: 1543391193566.jpg (882x960, 76K)

Which pasta are you talking about?

Can I get (You)?

Sure here go

Hemingway was old an neurotic at that point, Thompson was surrounded by degens his whole life and naturally fell into depressive thinking, and DFW was a sheltered WASP with serious gambling issues.

>gambling addiction
youtu.be/9WIbwxGPA30

Does anybody know if this is true

Many talented artists are also mentally unstable, prone to addictions etc.

Having said that it's almost always individual misery at least in part. I only know about Hemingway but he was a vain and insecure man who was very worried about growing older, worried that he'd never be able to match earlier work and also frustrated. He actively used his public persona of the ultimate man's man to draw interest for his work, with the result that everyone knew the famous writer Hemingway and much fewer actually read his novels. The man had been married four times and broken off affairs much more often. And in his late years he became ill and underwent electroshock therapy that made him hazy and forgetful. I think he was either afraid of actually going insane, or that he wanted to end it with some dignity and before really becoming a shell of his former self. Besides suicide ran in the Hemingway family and for whatever reason that greatly increases the odds to kill yourself too, whether that's a biological or a social thing.

hack point but being smart is alienating. hate to say it, but it's true.

old pasta

dfw doesnt have a gambling addiction

Captured has DFW chapter—very messed-up his whole life, very hard on himself

cuz he got fishlips
im assumimg from how upset you got that you also have fishlips. or you're currently tripping on shrooms and have temporary ego-death, but what's more likely here mr fishlips?