The absolute state of this board right now

The absolute state of this board right now.

I've been here for over half a decade, I'm extremely well read. Post popular Yea Forums books (I've more than likely read whatever you're thinking of) and I'll substantively review them and rate them to one decimal place. This will be more fun than anything else on the frontage. Let's see how long we can keep this going.

Attached: knc14xfzv7221.jpg (720x709, 100K)

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/All-Things-are-Nothing-Philosophy/dp/1780996632
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Culture of Critique

*pees on you*

Dante's Divine Comedy. Rate all 3 parts individually.

haven't read it desu, have been consciously avoiding what I would consider 'nu-lit' material i.e. refuge posters from pol/r9k. I've read all of the actual Yea Forums memes but this one is so forced by people suffering from schizo-affective disorder that it's just not worth my time. that said if the study was married with IQ/educational attainment and infrastructural advantage from an early age, it would be very interesting.

Count of Monte Cristo

truthfully, I also haven't read this yet either. one of the books I feel I could only properly appreciate if I were studying it in an academic setting. it's important to respect one's limitations, you know what I mean.

Let's get these out of the way:
Ulysses
Gravity's Rainbow
Infinite Jest

What are your thoughts on Erasmus Montanus?

I also haven't read this but I've never encountered someone who enjoyed it.

100 days of sodom

A Prayer for Owen Meany

Venus in furs
100 years of solitude
Sailor who fell from the grace with the sea
Story of the eye
Steppenwolf
Teatro grottesco/other Ligotti's books

SNEED

>I've been here for over half a decade, I'm extremely well read.
>I've more than likely read whatever you're thinking of

>haven't read it desu
>truthfully, I also haven't read this yet either
>I also haven't read this
pretty good troll.

you're a fraud

gentleman OP is a charlatan. How can you claim to be Yea Forums and you haven't even read CoC by Kevin Macdonalds

thank you. I tried to read ulysses but gave up after chapter 4, had no idea what was going on in any capacity and figured it deserved the same recognition and respect as the divine comedy. I figured there wasn't much point in reading something that would go over my head so completely when I could read it properly under the scrutiny of an academic setting sometime.

as compensation, allow me to rate Dubliners an 8.0/10.

Sure. I'll start off with the preface that despite the century between us, it seems both Joyce and myself have led remarkably similar lives due to where we have lived and the social structures that have shaped our worlds. I obviously don't want to say anymore on that matter due to the nature of the website I am posting on.

My understanding of Ireland has greatly changed over the last few years. Reading Dubliners has been a very intriguing process for me as a lot of my own handwritten ponderings or musings on the city itself in modern times is reflected in Joyce's writing. Reading through all of the stories I couldn't help but grin to myself and think it seems Joyce beat me by more than a century to my own ideas.

Many stories in Dubliners pertain to the Catholic Church and the power it had over the Irish. In contemporary times church and state is nearly completely separated in theory and practise. However it's become quite clear to me that the conservative nature of Catholic rule lingers on in an intergenerational sense. The Irish enjoy presenting an image of themselves as exceedingly liberal and tolerant, but behind these gestures one can observe their actual actions. From this I have come to understand conservative social conditioning lives on in the lives of many Irish people, even those who are young. Most don't even realise it. It's rather interesting reading Dubliners because at the time of writing, the turn of the 20th century, Catholic rule was ouvert and inseparable from everyday Irish life. Now the church is mostly removed from the picture, but the values and attitudes sort of remain the same. They may have been diluted or watered down a little. Regardless, for me, a lot of Joyce's criticisms still apply to Ireland in the 21st century.

Review any Bolaño book.

In Dubliners Joyce often centres stories around a favourite concept of his, one he referred to as hemiplegia of the will. I'm far too tired to google this but I'm almost certain hemiplegia is a medical term for partial paralysis. In his view, filled with cynicism and disdain as it was, Irish society in the early twentieth century was frozen in time, with no hope of progressing or evolving or building a better future - in a condensed term, paralysed. For him, this was mostly derived from economic ruin, Britain imperialism and Catholicisim. However in 2019 it's very difficult to ignore the fatalist aspect of Irish society, the 'sure look, it'll be grand' attitude that resulted in political inaction and no legal consequences when the property bubble crashed in the late 2000s and sent the country spiralling into a deep recession. It's also transparently obvious in Irish society that no one likes seeing anyone else succeed (a bi-product of Irish fatalism) which leads to mediocrity. It seems to me that the underlying structures causing societal paralysis changed over the years but the people themselves haven't. Irish fatalism has been a serious problem for decades and needs to be addressed.

Lastly, Joyce believed the only way of escaping this paralysis and carving out a better future for oneself was to leave Dublin. He ended up living in Paris and Zurich for the rest of his adult life. It really does seem like the only way to escape the collective hemiplegia. In Dubliners many characters are in conflict in relation to staying or leaving in Dublin and their own sense of geographic paralysis.

I haven't read them as of yet. I tried Borges and found it dreadfully dull. I decided south americans weren't worth my time

hello everyone, OP here. this poster is NOT ME. although I haven't read Bolano, Borges is one of my greatest inspirations. I would rate fioccones a solid 9.5/10.

De Bello Gallico Caesaris

I like Herman's Head better. It taught me Jung when I was eleven.

Attached: China.jpg (2544x2698, 973K)

gravity's rainbow: 8.7/10. beautiful in very many ways. probably the formative Yea Forums meme for me, which informed everything else on the way down the rabbit hole subsequently. that said I feel like it's a testament to the standard deviation in relation to age of the average user of Yea Forums that we so rarely see critical analysis of Pynchon. I think that's a very serious problem that needs addressing on a board-wide level. mason & Dixon is a solid 9.7/10, crying of lot 49 a 6.3/10, Vineland a 5.4/10.

wtf?!?! Sorry about that everyone I am the actual OP and this clown seems to be masquerading as me giving out ridiculously high rating to scum like Borges

My actual rating for Ficciones is 3.5/10 too many labyrinths and dreamtigers, not enough plot.

Doctor Glas

>I think that's a very serious problem that needs addressing on a board-wide level.
be sure to bring it up at the next Yea Forums council meeting

infinite jest: 4/10. I don't understand why infinite jest, with its forced entry-level mathematics, romanticisation of a serious mental illness, midwestern aw shooks I'm just a usual guy and not acquainted with Pynchon or Gaddis or Gass or Hawke, unnecessarily maximalist prose, 24-tier International relation misunderstanding and misappropriation, and just a general LACK OF ANYTHING PROFOUND TO SAY, is so pervasive in today's world. I think it's a damning indictment of all those "intellectuals" that they think there's anthill in this book worth salvaging, or those of whom use it as a staple of literary merit.

Even at that time, DFW was evidently better as an essayist, just look at brief interviews with hideous men (6.5/10) and consider the lobster (7.4/10).

however, what's particularly tragic is that dfw grew into a greater writer, beyond any level as indicated previously by infinite jest, with the release of oblivion (8.5/10) and the pale king (9.5/10). it's a tragedy that we lost him to a clinical disorder considering he was on the brink of actually becoming a decent, daring writer who had something to say. I think in a way he knew it as well, that's why oblivion and the pale king carry within their pages such a share sense of urgency.

>going to academia without having read Dante

I'm afraid the guardians at the gate will ferociously tear you frail body into shreds, and rightfully so.

Stop pretending to be me

Infinite Jest: 11/10 the Masterpiece of Western Literature
Gravitiys Rainbow: 6/10 certain scenes made me uncomfortable
Ulysses: Haven't read it. Don't think I'll bother.

>"I'm extremely well-read"
>doesn't answer half of the titles, and those he do he simply silences with with "haven't read".
as usual, OP is a fag.

>Erasmus Montanus

I have no thoughts on this artist, I have never seen his plays nor read his works, but I am very fond of how readily Denmark's political system supports artistry and I think we should all appreciate that

I understand it's very inspirational but I have never read it. I feel like it's just proto-erotica and probably isn't worthy of the annals of history it has found itself in.

ironic you didn't finish reading the thread

a girl I once lived this said I would thoroughly enjoy this book and gave it to me. I think she was trying to get me to ask her out. like a lot of contemporary interpersonal relations, i never did ask her out and I never did read that book.

Shakespeare's Sonnets

Thus Spoke Zarathustra

I have never read Venus in furs.

I have never read 100 years of solitude.

I have never read sailor who fell from grace with the sea.

I have never read story of the eye (though I have read a slagging amount of early surrealist work so keep it coming)

I have never read steppenwolfe (see divine comedy and ulysses)

ligotti I think is extremely underrated and should not be considered a horror writer. what he is doing is fundamentally literary, in the sense that he is exploring the fundamentals of human consciousness. if you haven't noticed, almost all of his stories, all of his recurrent motifs, from carnivals to clowns to dream sequences to ventriloquists and puppets are all to do with the level of control we have over our own sense of consciousness. his stories explore the innate terror of being alive within the universe, there's nothing genre fiction about that. I'll be damned if I have to rate his books though because the highs and lows are so hit and miss, each story is its own entity. Teatro grotesco and my work is not yet done is probably all you need however.

all of them? I've only ever read a few and admired the internal meter he must have had, however I don't think he's as original as everyone wants to think he is. Macbeth 7.6/10, Romeo and Juliet 5.4/10.

never read this either.

please respond

the shadow, the darkness might be the best short story I've ever read. Completely destroyed me. I agree with you on Ligotti. Just finished Teatro Grottesco.

You said you liked the early surrealists. Have you read Aurielia by Gerard Nerval? Marcel Schwob? Unica Zurn? Just asking because the surrealists don't get a lot of traction on this board.

based

>Macbeth 7.6/10, Romeo and Juliet 5.4/10.
one of the dumber things I've ever seen on this board

Absolute state of posters in this board who dislike Infinite Jest (ie. not nearly as intelligent or well-read as they think they are). What you don't understand about Infinite Jest is that it wasn't meant to be as obtuse or impenetrable as other postmodern novels, it was purposefully a commentary on postmodernism that was hoping to bring it into the mainstream. The "unnecessarily maximalist prose" is often ironic and self-deprecatory, it's supposed to make you laugh. Its portrayal of American experialism and the Quebecois insurgency is purposefully ridiculous, although not without some basis in the current politics of the Iraq war and the history of American cultural imperialism. Similarly, your reaction against the "forced entry-level mathematics" (which, what? comprised maybe the Eschaton footnote? 1% of the whole book?) shows the way in which you're reacting against a supposed "forced intellectualism" of the book that was never there in the first place. It was supposed to be understandable yet challenging for a mainstream audience, not complex for solely academic study as some other modern and postmodern epics could be blamed for.

Your criticisms, like much of Yea Forums's Infinite Jest critics (since you're not the only one), are due to your fears of viewing a text that is only humorously and ironically intellectual through a sentimental and anti-intellectual lens. You expect that postmodern texts have to be overly complicated and that you have to be smart to enjoy them, which is not the case with DFW's fiction. In a strange way, it revives elements of writing from the Victorian novel tradition. Although DFW's later fiction is also brilliant, I think it says more about your personal romanticisation of DFW's suicide that you choose to elevate the score of Pale King by such a high amount, when Infinite Jest is clearly worthy of similar praise.

You literally just need the penguin student edition which endnotes it out the wazoo. I sawed the endnotes off the back and clipped them open because otherwise I'd be checking back constantly. Watched the film too. Gives you a rough idea what people are doing.

simpsons fan got kicked off goodreads

The Recognitions

Finnegans Wake

I despised Aurelia by Gerard nerval. I read his history of his mental illness also. and found nothing in it was particularly surrealist, it was very dense and obscure and wasn't very easily accessible as far as reading went. this was a few years ago but the sting of disappointment is sharp in me because i spent a long time trying to track down the story only to feel nothing upon reading it.

I recognise those names and have their books downloaded but haven't read them yet. more like Breton, carrington, whoever wrote the invention of morel.

hello, op here, would be curious if you could elaborate on this or if there is a lengthy essay you could guide me to that would elaborate on such a viewpoint because I am always open to being proved wrong. I don't know how much I subscribe to this argument and so would like to read more of it if possible. it's about time someone who reads literature can strike back.

one point of contention though, ia absolutely did not romanticise dfw's suicide (and it says a lot about your interpretation of my interpretation that you think I did). all I said was that it was a shame we lost him before he finished the pale king. whether he committed suicide or was killed in a car crash makes no difference to such a sentiment considering it would have been his towering literary achievement had he completed it.

Plato's Republic

spent way too much money on something I thought was too boring to finish, but there can be no doubt that gaddis as a stylist is top tier. if people are interested in such literary aesthetics I would point them towards banville's the book of evidence.

read it in college, thought it was boring. probably lowest scoring of all the books to be found here, maybe 4.3/10. Aristotle, stoics, hobbs, mill, much more enjoyable reading experiences.

The Tale of Genji

>Aristotle more enjoyable than Plato
How

A song of Ice and Fire

I have never read this book and I do not know if I ever will.

I have never read either of these books. I could not even get past season three of game of thrones, the hbo production if you have heard of it. it's an adoption of a song of ice and fire.

I agree. Wasn't surreal at all. Still enjoyed it for his grandoise writing (probably due to his mental illnesses). Anyways, just read Dark Spring by Unica Zurn.

never read it
9/10. great series, better than tolkein, gets into the actual interesting aspects of fantasy, like tax rates

Crime and Punishment

What is your favourite book , OP?

nice to know we are quite literally on the same page, although I felt the grandiose writing made every sentence feel like a non sequitur. I'll look up dark spring, thanks. if this thread is still alive in a few days I'll provide a rating and review.

pic related for novel, definitely. close second is Arthur schnitzler's traumnovelle (dream story) for novella. if you want non-fiction, in the heart of the sea (I think that's what it's called anyway, to do with nantucket whaling). favourite short story collection is probably oblivion by DFW as much as I hate to admit it.

Attached: JourneybyMoonlight_1024x1024.jpg (640x1024, 152K)

never read it, sorry

Finnegan's Wake

please find attached

the 48 laws of power

I have also never read this, although I am extremely sceptical of self-help books and am of the belief that if you want to KNOW how to ACT in the world, then you are best socially interacting with people in real life and learning their behavioural mannerisms through subliminal osmosis

Don't read it. The book is a meme for pseuds to get cred for reading literal gibberish

I don't know, my girlfriend studied it for a module in university and seemed to get a lot out of it. if I were to approach it I would probably read it aloud to truly ascertain the polyphony at play. I'm also pretty certain that there's a skeleton key, academics have figured out a central plot point, and I'm a big fan of nordic mythology. but in the distant future perhaps.

lol you're headfucked m8e

It's absolutely wonderful fun to read loudly aloud.

This thread is like a public toilet that someone shat a diarrhea into.

(You) are what's wrong with lit

The Sound and The Fury
Women and Men

for someone claiming they're well read you sure haven't read a lot user, nothing wrong with that but is it wise to proclaim such a thing?

I have never read any of these books unfortunately

I am pretty well read, availability heuristic is in full force, it’s way more difficult for me to review a book I’ve read than it is for me to say I haven’t read it, you know.

ok try these
The hungry hungry caterpillar
If you give a mouse a cookie
The satanic bible

Actually I ended up creating a reddit meme by posting about the hungry caterpillar on Yea Forums a few years ago so due to my own emotional investment in the tale I would award it a solid 8.5/10.

Salmon Rushie’s Satanic Verses I think stands around a 9.3/10, should be used as a moral instruction to not allowiskskix theologies to supersede western democratic values, particularly freedom of artistic impression. What the book has become emblematic of safly trumps the actual content.

>faggot thinks Brief interviews was an essay collection
PSEUD

In search of lost time

books you'd consider essential reading for anyone? or that you just really really enjoyed and think everyone else should try

Not him but if you aren't an angsty 15 year old read The Stranger idk wtf you're doin

read it in high school for a class but didn't really get it, if i come back to it do you think i'd understand the deeper meaning reading at my own pace?

I’ll think about this and will get back to you on it. James Salter’s short story Bangkok and Denis Johnson’s Work would be up there, as would the three or four books I posted earlier.

>if i come back to it do you think i'd understand the deeper meaning reading at my own pace?
this is pretty much my experience whenever I reread something I read in school tbdesu

I never read that one either unfortunately.

wow youre a fucking idiot OP.
you haven't read anything really besides loose bits of DFW and all of Pynchon huh?
memey faggot.

I actually haven't really read all of Pynchon I read the abridged verison of GR and MaD and the rest I sparknoted.

FFFFFFFFUUU

can this become a new Yea Forums meme? OP claiming to be well read and people asking his opinions of books and he reveals he hasn't actually read any of them?

best thread on Yea Forums by a mile!

Naked Lunch,(also the other works of Burroughs)
Rimbaud
Céline

Chants de Maldoror
Tartar Steppe
The Double
Rings of Saturn

good decision

this works to OP's credit imo.

pls review notes from underground

>abridged verison of GR and MaD
is this a troll???
does this really exist?

ironically this has become the biggest dumpster fire on the board

OP review the Holy Bible, KJV

it means he read the wikipedia page i think

The Book of Five Rings

Bump - op here, fell asleep last night. Gonna make breakfast and a coffee, then I’ll review the books posted since I left off.

I’ve never read this, sorry.

The Unique and its Property

I like the Simpsons pic btw.

Faust 1&2 (rated together)
Neuromancer
A Thousand Plateaus
Anything from Campbell
Anything from Jane Austen

>I'm extremely well read
>Hasn't read a literal Western lit Top 10

What a dumb nigger, fuck you and your thread, saged

Shades of Grey by Jasper Fforde

OP here, I have to go out and take care of some unfinished business. Can people keep this thread alive until I come back (though I’m not sure when that will be, it’s rare that I am activated in a capacity such as this).

Attached: 39A6B17D-BEBD-4B2A-82DE-6C943D78514E.jpg (230x219, 7K)

OP here. I'm back and I'll be replying to ll your posts with my reviews and thoughts on each book.

I haven't read naked lunch or celine although I did see a rimbaud poem on a kitchen magnet in a store once. I didn't read it all the way through but I would give Rimbaud a 6/10

I haven't even heard of any of those.

I have never read the King James bible I usually stick to the paraphrased bible or what my deacon tells me on sundays.

I haven't really read any of those.

I haven't read anything by Fforde but I imagine he's similar to Jonathan Franzen who I would give a 3/10

I'm the guy with Faust 1&2 asks. You really, REALLY need to read that ASAP

based imposter

>Jonathan Franzen
Literally who?

Riddley Walker

>inb4 they say part 2 was a slog
The few people that even know about Faust here always underrate it, being the plebs they are. Ol' Göbbi said it best:
>Ich trage nur ein Buch in der Tisch: den Faust. Den ersten Teil lese ich. Für den zweiten bin ich zu dumm.

this thread rocks over at biz

No Longer Human.

Holy fuck, thanks for that

jeje you gotta look for the memes elsewhere not just lit :^)

>forced by people suffering from schizo-affective disorder that it's just not worth my time.
Truly you have a dizzying intellect

>the absolute state of OP's post right now.
>Claiming being here for less than a decade is some how any kind of accomplishment
>also claims to be well read.(my fucking sides)
>but he hasn't read Culture of critique

this thread is bad and you should feel bad. And you should read more and lurk more instead of posting garbage.

based

Not OP, but I recently read Story of the Eye (and may soon read Venus in Furs and 100 Days of Sodom, to juxtapose a trio of erotica) and I'm not sure it's the kind of title you really can “rate”. The final image of the priest's eyeball glaring out of Simone's vagina still sticks with me. In that respect I'd say it's a masterpiece, especially given its short length. Labelling the reading with a number feels inappropriate, but I'd maybe give it an 8.5/10.

Has anyone else read Story of the Eye? It'd be nice to get an analysis going. What does the eye as an image represent? And yes, I have read Bataille's autobiographical epilogue.

something about hidden knowledge i would guess.

Not the Satanic Verses, the Satanic Bible by Anton LeVay, you stupid nigger!

What it made me think about was how certain activities projected onto the other (rather than the self) can “look back” into you, somewhat like Sartre's look of the other. Throughout the novella, the boy and Simone act almost as if without awareness of the other, not as if the other doesn't exist but as if through their actions the other can be consumed entirely, as if swallowed whole. For example, the exhibitionism in front of Simone's mother, the deflowering rape of Marcelle and concomitant “rescue” ending in suicide. The children are not content to keep to themselves, and seem to absorb the others into their personal vortex of sexuality culminating with the priest. To me, the eye spoke to the otherness that was still left, like the shard of otherness that remains in spite of the absorption, or bones that are excreted after a creature has been swallowed whole. It was the one part of the others (the mother, the priest, Marcelle) that withstood assimilation.

People are reading it.

skylark

Attached: skylark.jpg (295x473, 50K)

I could beat you in a fight. And by that I mean I’d fucking slaughter you.

Physical threats online are simultaneously the funniest and saddest things I've ever read fucking stop doing this

The Lord of the Rings (unironically)

I read it when I was very young and enjoyed it. I think Mr Tolkien gets a lot of hate for creating tropes -- but it's not his fault anyone who tries to make fantasy is unable to escape his originality. When you read his life story he's an incredibly interesting man, very talented. And I do think he needs to be recognised for his world building and great histories above all. The Hobbit and The Simarillon are probably his high achievements, The Lord of the Rings not so much, although I do enjoy reading it. It's a fantastic story (the Mr Bombadil chapter is criminally underrated).

overall 7.7/10. for being such a labyrinth of creativity, solid but complicated storyline, originality, but really let down by purple prose and extraneous storytelling that takes way from the main narrative.

this obviously isn't me, the actual OP.

I have never read any of these authors (although people say my writing reminds me of them of Burroughs a lot, I've never got around to reading him)

I did briefly flirt with rimbaud's writing as I understood it was porto-symbolism and heavily influenced surrealism but it did not effect me

never read Celine (is that journey to the end of the night?)

never read chants de maldoror (is he the guy who wrote the first surrealist novel?)

never read tartar steppe

the double is almost unreadable, I don't know why Mr Dostyevsky insists on referring to everyone by their first second and third names. 4.3/10. the Jesse Eisenberg adaption is very entertaining and I would recommend it however. The Underground Man is a much better read, I would give that a serious 8.5/10 if only because it lets us know the average r9ker existed before the advent of the internet, at the same time prophesising about what was to come.

never read or heard of rings of Saturn.

will look up both of those above.

thanks. see notes from underground above. I do think a lot of what is pol/r9k inspired on lit really separates people with college/university access with people who don't. imagine being so void of critical thinking skills.

never read it but need to shortly for one of my projects. I'm trying to write a Cormac McCarthy / Moby dick like thing based on the works of sassily Kandinsky, it might take me years.

actually heavily informed what has become a rather solipsistic and nihilistic viewpoint, led me to becoming an "alpha male" of sorts (tho I don't really believe in the alpha and beta dichotomy). well worth a read purely for its polemic qualities (that's how you write effective philosophy, people) but its history is obviously extremely biased if not completely questionable, and stirner's failure of a life story really permeates through a lot of the hyperbole in the book. that said it profoundly influenced me, maybe more so than any other Yea Forums meme. what I would give to go back to the stirner/wittgenstein Yea Forums aeon.

I only have Faust one, 9.3/10. I think it's really entertaining. if you enjoy it there's an amazing French retelling of it, a really obscure film called margarite de la nuite from 1954 I think, it's really difficult to track down even via illicit online means but if you're a fan you should definitely watch it. really intriguing take.

never read neuromancer

never read a thousand plateaus

could never find Campbell's books when I went looking for them but watched a lot of his stuff on youtube and read a lot of things about him / written by him online, I do think that 'religion is just what we call other people's mythologies' is one of the damn greatest quotes of all time.

never read Jane Austen (is she pride and prejudice?)

never read this or head or this.

never read this, sorry.

you do realise the reason there's so little overlap between what's posted here and what I've read is because I read actual contemporary literature that's effecting common literary discourse in real literary life and I don't trumpet on about the same 30 books ad nauseam because I actually have a real interest in literature, or did the meta point of this thread go over your head?

I'm white, and I will not tolerate racism in my thread. you may kindly see yourself out, we have no time for people such as yourself. maybe if you talked to an actual black person instead of letting the internet warp your views you would be a lot happier.

I will probably read this pretty soon because it is overlapping with a lot of my favourite nyrb classics when it comes to common groupings and recommendations.

edit: also Hungarian writers are my favourite and particularly the time setting of that book is of interest to me so I really should read it sooner rather than later.

The Picture of Dorian Gray

Attached: il_570xN.827526583_358b.jpg (570x855, 159K)

What is your opinion of Voss by Patrick White OP?

I've never read this, sorry

I've also never read this unfortunately.

reddit spacing faggot

Interesting, I didn't expect that response to Stirners book.
I recently came across
amazon.com/All-Things-are-Nothing-Philosophy/dp/1780996632
and it's pretty good. You might like it.

Attached: the_island_of_doctor_moreau.jpg (400x600, 43K)

Not OP but quite possibly the worst book I've ever had the disgrace of reading. It's not even good as torture porn, the descriptions are super dry, most of it is about eating shit and it turns into a literal laundry list of fetishes by the end of the book.

boring shit

Attached: oxford-red-and-the-black.jpg (340x547, 59K)

Democracy in America.

yes it's quite awful desu i really hate seeing constant /pol/tard shit all over other boards, even if what they're saying is true, why do they think other people want to think about/discuss these things outside of /pol/? they're truly deranged

You know Socrates? Plato? Aristotle? Morons.

>amazon.com/All-Things-are-Nothing-Philosophy/dp/1780996632

this is very interesting, I think I heard about it before it was released but subsequently forgot about it so I'm going to give it a download now! thanking you.

of wells I have only ever read war of the worlds (solid 8.9/10, was one of the books that brought me back into the reading in my late teens). what is the rest of his fiction like?

never even heard of this one.

never heard of this either but I did study democratic theory at a university level. and my personal beliefs as to how to amend the democratic deficit that led to trump, Brexit, illiberal Hungary etc are as follows: 1. combat voter apathy by teaching the importance of civics from a very early age in school, like Scandinavia does. 2. have a federal (or as we would say in Europe bank) holiday for every voting day, in which the government reimburses people for the hours missed from work. 3. critical thinking skills should be taught by state assets to combat the current world of technology so that vulnerable people do not keep falling to propaganda. 4. if you find out that a vote was predicated on intellectual dishonest, the honest thing to do would be to call a second vote.

this is a troll thread

Camp of Saints

gave it a read to try and understand Mr Bannon's worldview. very entertaining but ridiculous. 7.4/10 for how abrasive and brazen it truly is. that said I'm surprised we haven't seen another book like it in relation to mass displacement caused by climate change.

If this guy is an accurate representation of old Yea Forums then good riddance! and thank god we got nu-Yea Forums now.

if you want the best representation of old Yea Forums, I recommend a text that was meme'd quite a lot during the days just after his board's conception. Mallory Gilphy's Headphone Cascade is probably one of the best books I've ever read, told from the point of view of a dog named Derrick who is capable of speaking in English, but sometimes gives into his less than sophisticated canine mannerisms, depicting his walk with his owner down a road close to their house that up until now they have never walked down for reasons unknowable to the dog. As the story goes on, the dog probes why his owner never wanted to go down this road, and where it leads. It's a story that explores loyalty, human cognition and the finitude of the human experience. Sadly you never see it posted around here anymore. Of course, in the end you realise neither entity is walking the other, for they are just as in the dark as to where it leads.

sneed

Paradise Lost
Paradise Regained

SNEED

Book of disquiet

>>>/reddit/

Never read either of these, sorry

Thought the first sixteen pages were great, then I lost my copy of it and never found it. I would give those 16 pages a 8.4/10

The Canterbury Tales
The Mahabharata
The Consolations of Philosophy
The Romance of the Rose
The Iliad
The Odyssey
The Aeneid

The Dhammapada
The Golden Bowl
The Wings of the Dove
What Maisie Knew
Four Quartets
Pound's Cantos
Helen in Egypt

god mode thread honestly

Sorry guys, I haven’t read a single one of these books. I can’t believe how few books I have read you guys are posting. Where is the contemporary 2010 onwards literature??

Bump

Pilgrim's progress
Diary of anne frank (uncensored)
Hero of our time

I actually haven't read any of these, not even Anne frank's diary.

hey everyone, OP here. I'm gong to start writing about books I've actually read to show you guys that I actually am reasonably well-read.

Attached: EvgenyPashukanis.jpg (220x289, 20K)

Evgeny Pashukanis - The General Theory of Law and Marxism. Real literature is about death, and this man was willing to die for his cause. This book turned out to have actually killed him. In it he details his theory on Marxism and how the rule of law will fade away when the bourgeois are finally overthrown. 10/10 book, the only books worth reading are the ones worth dying for.

A terrifying prediction of what a potential future of genetically altered furfaggots would look like

Gerard de Reve - De Avonden. Six months after the end of WWII, a 23 year old accountant wanders around Amsterdam talking to his old friends and trying to find meaning in the nihilistic after-effects of mass destruction and death. The war is never mentioned but even with its nominal absence, its terror reigns over all the book's ambience, informing all of the characters interactions. Extremely subtle, extremely depressing and well worth the read. 9.4/10.

Christ, and you claim to be well read and above all of lit?

never post here again.