Scandinavian literature

Discuss Scandinavian literature.

Has anyone here read Jens Bjorneboe? I've bought both a biography of him, and "Bestialitetens Historie" as I found him quite interesting. What do you guys think?

Attached: flag-of-scandinavia.png (800x606, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikanor_Teratologen
expo.se/2016/06/rasideologen-i-övre-kågedalen
bookanista.com/female-killers/
no.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dansk-norsk_slavehandel
bartleby.com/195/14.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Scandinavian literature
>literature
Isn't that just a bunch of etchings on rocks? Lmfao

Yeah kind of, that is Norse. The sagas was written in Norse, but I think the later sagas was written with the Latin alphabet (still Norse language however).

The thread isn't suppose to be about just Norse lit., more about all literature that has came out of the Scandinavian countries in general (Hamsun, Knausgård, HC Andersen, the Sagas etc etc)

Attached: 250px-Snorre_Sturluson-Christian_Krohg.jpg (250x374, 52K)

bump :))

i guess strindberg is the best swedish writer
havent read him though
i dont even know any norwegian or danish authors

am a literal pleb, forgot about

Really? I started The Red Room, but I couldn’t finish it. The low key misogyny was just annoying.

For me it's the opposite - I have a hard time remembering any Swedish authors. However, each time I hear about one of them it's always because of how brilliant they are/were, but I always seem to forget about them after a few days.

Attached: 250px-August_Strindberg.jpg (250x354, 17K)

Strindberg is vastly overrated and played a pivotal role into transforming Sweden into its current state. Read Heidenstam instead.

t.böök

anyone here read homer in norwegian? should i get the pollestad or the östbye translation? not going to bother with the nynorsk translation desu

The only important piece of literature besides the Norse sagas is the doll house by Ibsen.

>Not having Holdberg or Oehlenschläger
If anybody here has not read or even heard about them, you seriously need to reconsider your life choices.

Strindberg was more of a playwright than a novelist.

Check out Hjalmar Söderberg.

looks like most people have to reconsider their life choices holberg is based tho

Attached: ållåschlæger.png (681x345, 68K)

I have the Ostbye translation of both the Oddysey and the Illiad, but haven't read neither of them yet. Just looking through the pages the translation seems just fine, however it definitely isn't enough for what you're asking about. I could perhaps send a couple pictures of the pages if you'd like so.

However, if your comfortable with Swedish, I've heard that the one Swedish translation (don't remember which author, I'll find out if you're interested) is close to perfect.

Attached: 220px-Peter_%C3%98stbye_%281855-1943%29.jpg (220x324, 15K)

i have the östbye translation as well, but haven't read it yet. just discovered the pollestad translation, it's in a more modern language and it's written in prose, so i thought i might read that one first, and the poetic östbye later

>However, if your comfortable with Swedish, I've heard that the one Swedish translation (don't remember which author, I'll find out if you're interested) is close to perfect.
It's true. Erland Lagerlöf's translations of Homer are nothing short of absolutely excellent.

"Sjung, o gudinna, om vreden, som brann hos Peliden Achilles
olycksdiger, till tusende kval för achaiernas söner,
och som till Hades en mängd av behjärtade krigaresjälar
störtade ned och lät hjältarnes lik för hundar och fåglar
bliva på marken till rov - det skedde, som Zeus ju det ville -,
allt från den stund, då de började först att sig tvistande söndra,
Atreus' son, härskarornas drott, och den ädle Achilles."

Attached: Erland_Lagerlöf.jpg (616x874, 400K)

> The only important piece of literature
I suppose you mean piece of literature from Scandinavia?

> the doll house
As a Norwegian, I feel like the doll house is pretty meh. It is pushed upon us in school because it is a part of the feminist lefty propaganda the public school system is so fond of. I personally feel like Ghosts is way better. It's worth a mention that I have read neither, but watched the plays of both.

Also, whether you like the books or not, My Struggle by Knausgård is already considered an important piece of literature across Europe , though it is definitely not that good im - having read the first 2 books, that is.

However, it is impossible to deny that the dude at least looks like an incredible author.

Attached: Karl-Ove-Knausgaard-4-Thomas-Waagstroem-1024x683.jpg (1024x683, 85K)

ska vi tar det på svenska min svensk är jävlar skit

which book?

also is röde orm worth reading

also, are there any promising modern scandy authors?

>koppar

Huh, interesting, didn't even know that there was a prose version in Norwegian, I might check it out myself, thanks for mentioning it.

Yeah this is the guy I was talking about. I might have to read some easier Swedish stuff before I read this though, so I at least have a more fundamental compression than what I have now. Are there any contemporary Swedish authors I should check out, that won't be too hard to understand for a Norwegian?

is 2019 finally the year we turn doktor glas into a true blue lit meme

Attached: 66e563b6bed2a381674618c14e01eb3d.jpg (250x375, 32K)

> are there any promising modern scandy authors?

As mentioned earlier, Knausgård is alright, I personally enjoyed his 2 first books way more than what I've read of My Struggle. They're definitely worth checking out.

Åsne Seierstad has written some worthwhile stuff. I just finished En av oss, and it was a pretty enjoyable and comfy read. Her latest book is also suppose to be pretty good (at least according to my dad ahah).

Tore Remberg writes some a okay comfy novels. They're probably more directed toward young adults, but still kind of comfy like Murakami and such.

Dag Solstad (is an older one but whatever) writes some comfy and interesting novels as well. Most of the time they are pretty short, so you can easily finish them in one read and it's a pretty good experience if I have to say so my self.

A couple more to mention, that I haven't read but are said to be pretty good:
> Stig Sæterbakken (comitted suicide a couple of years ago but whatever)
> Vigdis Hjort
> Saabye
> Tore Skeie

Attached: 250px-Stigsaterbakken.jpg (250x376, 17K)

What is this? The name sounds familiar but I can't remember why. Is it any good or is it just a meme?

Also doesn't Doktor Glas translate to Dr. Ice Cream?

Attached: 6654828.jpg?imageId=6654828&x=0&y=31.150930392833&cropw=100&croph=63.059958649207&am (968x916, 117K)

I was joking. I'm not norwegian, nor scandinavian myself. The Dollhouse was pushed on us too so that's pretty much the only piece of scandi lit I know

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikanor_Teratologen

a fella that wrote a modern classic 1992 under a pseudonym.
a few years ago his account on a forum got doxxed, the account created in 2003 and with ~27 000 posts, with several threads and posts concerning jews. this account was a well known anti-semite on the forum.
expo.se/2016/06/rasideologen-i-övre-kågedalen

the book that got him famous is pretty rare now i think, i found an expensive copy in a second hand store but haven't read it yet. there's probably pdfs of it on the internet. don't know if it's translated.

glass = ice cream
glas = glass

No, that'd be Doktor Glass (short a)

There's a second edition of both "äldreomsorgen" and "förensligandet" which is in print.
Äldreomsorgen is a masterpiece desu but I don't recommend it to people since most people can't get over the gay paedophile granny sex.

Oh interesting, we are told that people are teached about Ibsen across the globe, but didn't know it was that known about.

However, if you'd like to read some real Yea Forums Norwegian stuff, read Hamsun. Absolute chad

Attached: 012FyGkV?dimension=1200x1200.jpg (843x1200, 686K)

>Absolute chad
couldn't farm for shit tho. his farm outside of grimstad was the butt of the joke for the whole town. always the geissler never the isak

>ittt scandinavians pretending to be all civilized n shit

Damn this seems pretty interesting, definitely going to check it out later or sooner. Never heard about it before.

Didn't he just own it and lived there though? Not actually farming there or something like that? I think I've seen some footage of the farm, and if I remember correctly there was actual farmers working on it, and occasionally Hamsun coming to help.

I might be completely wrong though.

Attached: 29be7d99-7c47-473b-99bb-532e6107ca90?fit=crop&h=326&q=80&w=580.jpg (580x326, 70K)

>civilized n shit

Compared to our new "countrymen" us ethnic Scandinavians are, believe it or not, pretty civil.

Attached: 02718eff-a78b-465d-862c-01f45c6b2a6c?fit=crop&h=326&q=80&w=580.jpg (580x326, 31K)

>I might be completely wrong though.
me too, this might've been just some anti-hamsun propaganda my dad told me. he hates that old nazi fart with a burning passion

>med mutts mad they haven't been relevant for two (2) millennia
pottery

>based krekar will never write a hemingwayesque novel about his strife against the imperialist west
jdimsa

Hah, I am actually surprised not more people are hating on him. The reality is that most would be pissed at a nazi author, but the common Norwegian probably doesn't give a shit about an author that had his peak 100 years ago.

Attached: hamsun5.jpg?itok=AAE4_zbG.jpg (1191x689, 110K)

Just loaned Hamsun's Hunger and Mysteries today. I'll be reading Hunger first.

I'll be too, in the near future, my hopes are quite high as Hunger is of the novels both the public school in Norway, as well as Yea Forums, and book enthusiasts online, find reasonably good.

Attached: Per%20Oscarsson%20i%20Sult.jpg (1440x580, 68K)

>Damn this seems pretty interesting, definitely going to check it out later or sooner. Never heard about it before.

Such a great book this
>Vinterskogen...
>De hade vare en klar kristallnatt, å stjärnorna hade blinka nästan som förr i världen.
>Dagen va slitstark, mörk å kall som självbevarelsedriften. Himlen va avlägsen, Solen en grå eminens, ett livsfientlit, självmördande kärneldsklot som vänt sitt ansikte från oss, för å giva oss frid...
>Skogen verka död, den va så okristlit vacker... de gjorde ont inom en...
Interspersed with this
>Morfar titta upp me störtdykande blick, vråk på mus.
>- Dom ha fått tag i Jeffrey, viska han.
Sen berätta morfar om Jeffrey Dahmer, som droga, knulla å mörda svarta bögar i Milwåki.
Han hade skrive å fråga morfar till råds innan han tog tag me skitgörat.

>Are there any contemporary Swedish authors I should check out, that won't be too hard to understand for a Norwegian?
Way I see it is that there's no need to take it slow. Just dive into any decent writer from the last 100 years or so. Harry Martinsson, Ivar Lo-Johansson, Hjalmar Söderberg etc. Lagerlöf's the only one I'd call vaguely difficult.

it seems like 90% of ethnic scandinavians are twice as well-educated as other europeans, so

They are now. They weren't before. They used to be the least educated on the continent

big if true

Hunger is great, so is Mysteries, Pan and Markens Grode. Wouldn’t borger with the rest though.

Here are some of my favorite norwegian authors for you guys:
Kristine Næss
Jon Fosse
Thure Erik Lund
Dag Solstad

Fosse and Solstad have been translated, not sure about the other two.

Doubtful. They have really high literacy in Victoria 2

Are you Norwegian? I've read half of those authors, will check out the rest.

Is there a place I can check for a typical high school reading list? My Norwegian friends weren't very academic so they have been utterly unhelpful here.

i've read the first four volumes of my struggle and it's weird how i know more about some norwegian guy than about anyone i know in real life
volume 6 hasn't been translated into my language yet, should i wait for it and read it before reading his four seasons?

I am!

I’m uncertain when it comes to reading lists. Mostly, the curriculum consists of Ibsen, Bjornson, Hamsun and some shitty 80’s short stories that are easily analyzed. Maybe parts of the poetic Edda, if the teacher is cool.

What norwegian literature have you read? I could you rec some things.

Scandinavia was and still is a backwater in many ways, their character is more asian (That's to say Russian) than European.

I am 18, and can tell you that I've never done much reading in our classes. It's mostly theory and analisis. However, authors that are mentioned and used as examples are (not including those already mentioned):
> Sigbjorn Obstfelder
> Tor Jonsson
> Tor Ulven
> Ludvig Holberg
> Nordahl Grieg
> Henrik Wergeland
> JS Welhaven
> Maurits Hansen
> Jan Erik Vold
> Edvard Hoem
> Ivar Aasen
> Asbjornsen og Moe
> Amalie Skram
> Sigrid Undset

There are also a couple of immigrant authors that write uninteresting novels about how hard it is to grow up without your foreskin, that are forced upon us because "le multiculturalism gud" meme, that the State is in love with. Just ignore those authors.

They are snowniggers as Pol and Int calls them

>Sigbjorn Obstfelder
Possibly homosexual or involuntary celibate. Sad boy.

>Amalie Skram
Insane, pessimistic radical. Norwegian version of the butterfly poster.

> Ludvig Holberg
He's Danish, thus writes better Norwegian than Norwegians themselves do today.
Great humerous stories.

> JS Welhaven
> Asbjornsen og Moe
> Ivar Aasen
Wagner romanticism gang. Pseudo-Germans.

> Sigrid Undset
Annoying woman, shitposted constantly and was angry at nazis. So many sins she had to become Catholic.

>Camilla Colett
Same as Amalie Skram, but good.

tackar user

My brother is studying greek and he gave me his Ostbye translations of both Illiad and Odyssey saying they were not good, or at least not what they read at university.

Kierkegaard was Danish, wasn't he?

Oh the Sagas are dope. I follow a professor of Norse Mythology on YouTube. Good shit right there.

You two should read Processen mod Hamsun af Thorkild Hansen. People were pissed at Hansen for writing it. He really went in on a lot of norwegian authors and politicians and norwegians in general because of how Hamsuns trial was conducted after WWII.

It is a highly problematic book because of how it falls between history and fiction, but thats Hansens style (he burned his own diaries so he could rewrite and publish them before dying).
The passages about Hamsuns meeting with Hitler and his consultations with Dr. Gabriel Langfeldt is especially interesting to read (and also documented).

I see. Thanks! I'll be sure to read some in the near future.

> should i wait for it and read it before reading his four seasons?

I thought I should do so myself actually, but I ended up finding the season books too exciting, so I've read the first of them now, Autumn.
Imo I don't see why you should wait if you really want to read them. There are no "spoilers" or w/e in the season books.

Attached: Innbundet.jpg (1594x2500, 1.84M)

Interesting, never heard about this book before, I'll make sure to check it out sooner or later. I've always found Hamsun's life pretty interesting, even having visited his place of birth and everything, but reading a biography about him never hit me.

Attached: nmf00922300077_konfirmasjon.jpg?thumbnail=1920x2000.jpg (1307x1600, 411K)

Do you mind asking him what translations they read at uni? Could it be that they are reading an English version?

Attached: bigstock-182988109-960x450.jpg (960x450, 128K)

You wont regret picking it up. I some it in thrift stores for around 50kr, as far as I know its not been reprinted since publication, so they can be hard to find.

I think Hansen makes references to a biography written in the 1920-30s that is worth reading, but the writer apparently denounced Hamsun completely after the war.

I some times see it*

Thanks, user.

Can't remember the translator, but I read one from the 1920s and it was superb. Might have been riksmaal, idk

Sure it wasn't landsmål/nynorsk? Arne Garborg has written a translation of the Odyssey around that time. From what I've heard, it is pretty good.

>Scandinavia was and still is a backwater in many ways
name one way

pha! where do you think the angles came from?
They turned out civilized enough to your standard næ?

I'll make sure to look for it in my thrift stores. My local library is also pretty good so might see if they have it perhaps.

it's on antikvariat.net for 150 kr. i haven't read it myself, but i highly recommend hansen's book arabia felix (det lykkelige arabia)

meant to say i haven't read the hamsun book

Norwegians: Fjeldniggers
Swedes: Forestniggers
Danes: Islandniggers
(Jutes: moorniggers)
(Lollandics and Falstrings: Beetrootniggers)
I can continue. We got alot of specific curses internally

> Sigrid Undset
>Annoying woman, shitposted constantly and was angry at nazis. So many sins she had to become Catholic.

Swede here, read Kristin Lavransdatter part I a couple of years ago (in Swedish). It was perhaps the most beautiful prose I've ever read.

>Amalie Skram
>Insane, pessimistic radical. Norwegian version of the butterfly poster.

Sheeeeeiiiiiit

Icelanders: Iceniggers
Greenlanders: Sealfuckers
Faeroes: Sheepfuckers
Finns: Snowniggers
Samii: Raindeerniggers
Jan Maien Residents: Extinctniggers

Never heard any of those names being used before? Are you sure you're not just writing the first thing you think of in relation to each country and then adding -nigger?

here, in Sweden we call Sami helicopterniggers or helicopterjews, because they herd their reindeer with helicopters that they bought with government minority bucks while claiming that they still live the traditional Sami life.

tfw Samis haven't even been here longer than Scandinavians, but still claim to be natives

Garborg, Arne.
Smaka di, ein skit.

Attached: arne+garborg[1].jpg (800x630, 107K)

Its a rough translation yes, but pretty much that.
You don't really say nigger so...

>Holberg
>He's Danish
Han var i frå BÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆÆRGEN

Also Swede is considered an insult in Danish in it self. Im sure its vice versa on the other side of Oresund.

Finno-uralic nomads from far east

Yeah, if you're a fucking child who browses the national reddits.

Its not considered to the current state of sweden. i think its a remnent of the many wars the two have fought. Don't misinterperate me.

Oh I know, I'm swedish. I don't know anyone who thinks "dane" is an actual insult. "Danskjävlar" is a meme; a joke.

Thank God Holberg learned to write properly...
I hope Norwegians will write a normal language like that again.

However, “svensker” as an insult is alive and well in irl danish society

Swede is also an insult here in Norway. Danes are chill tho.

>Swede is also an insult here in Norway.
no, it isn't

Learning Swedish, what should I read to practice?

My diary desu

what reading level are you at?

B1.

Dan Andersson shouldn't be too hard.

thanks

I read two novels by Dorthe Nors, she's Danish. She is remarkable, has a unique though understated style and is very talented. Having said that not one of my personal favorites. I tend to go back and forth between annoyance and being impressed during her books. She likes writing about incompetent adults that overthink a lot. In Karate Chop I thought some of her short stories were incredibly lackluster but some were a real kick in the guts. One of my personal favorites can be read here, it's quite short; bookanista.com/female-killers/

Of Norwegian writers I only read Johan Harstad, Ambulance. It was a good read though also not one of my favorite authors. Not entirely sure why, I guess it felt a little too polished, too balanced, too much by the rules somehow I guess. Even though I enjoyed the book and the concept.

Never read anything by Knausgard, I want to some day but I don't think I'm going to like it and he just writes so damn much. I think I'm going to write his redactor (Geir Gulliksen) first, he wrote a novel about his marriage ending that got good reviews. Also interested to try Linn Ullmann.

It's funny with Dorthe Nors, she was largely unknown in Denmark before being picked up by publishers in the US though she's written for years. I havent read her stories, so Im not sure why people weren't interested in her here previously...

Huh, I didn't know about that. I understood that she'd won some prizes in Denmark so I assumed she hadn't stayed under the radar.

Karate Chop has a funny form, half of the novel consists of supershort stories like the one linked, the other half is a novella about a woman, Minna, who's struggling with where she is in life as a middle aged single woman. I didn't care for quite some of the short stories but some were really good, haunting and original, dark. I did not like the novella personally, I felt it was a little contrived, the whole is built up like this; "Minna wakes up. Minna wants Lars to have sent her a message so she checks her phone. She has a message from her mother asking her to call but no message from Lars. Minna does not like her mother reminding her to call. Minna in fact does not like to think about her mother at all." Obviously this is from memory but I think you get the picture. To be fair though, I recommended it to a friend who has a slightly different taste in books and he LOVED the novella, thought it was superfresh.

Mirror, Shoulder, Signal was to me like a more balanced and enjoyable version of the Minna-novella. It is a little bleak and sometimes it's unclear (to me at least) if the tone is self-depricating or straight up irony. There was quite some distance between the narration and the protagonist. Having said that there's sly, irresistible humor in there impossible to explain without knowing what the novel is otherwise like, and sometimes there's suddenly a moment that's quite beautiful or moving.

If you're unsure try the piece I linked in the last post, if that stirs something in you definitely check her out. She's no doubt better in Danish, too, unfortunately that's no option for me but I read her in Dutch which is close I guess.

What good novels did Heidenstam write?
I read his poetry and I really liked it, but I tried to read The Charles Men (Karolinerna) and it was just tedious to read.

> Never read anything by Knausgard
Just pick up the first My Struggle book and see if you like it. Or his debut. After reading those you'll know for sure if you want to read more or not.

can confirm that swede is indeed an insult in Denmark

Are you sure it's not just a joke, and not an actually insult people use? Calling somebody a Swede or Dane is often a part of a joke, but rarely used to actually hurt someones feelings.

Whenever someone's being a sissy or overly preachy, they usually get called a swede. Most of the time it's a joke, but sometimes it makes us talk about what we actually hate about Swedes in general. So yes, the joke is usually used in jest, but it is negative.

What do you guys think about the word "neger"? Here in Norway it is considered very bad (at least in Ostlandet), and lots of people my age grew up getting taught to not use it since it is ""racist"". However, my parents are older than most my generation, and for them the word "neger" is just what you call someone who is black skinned and of African heritage. I use it naturally when it is natural to say it, and never use it to insult someone. However, lots claim that it is still racist.

What is the case in the other Scandinavian countries?

Attached: 60550882.jpg?imageId=60550882&x=0&y=0&cropw=100.00&croph=100.00&width=640&he (640x362, 54K)

My friends and I sometimes speak in mock norwegian as an endearing joke. I dislike the expression, but are danes and norwegians really this obsessed?

It's exactly the same here in Sweden. I don't use it though,as it never became part of my active vocabulary when I grew up. My parents and grandparents sometimes use it as a neutral term, either to tease someone who's sensitive about words like that, or out of old, neutral habit.

I reckon it's american influence imposing the history of "nigger" onto our "neger" in the last 20 years that transformed it from a neutral descriptor to a slur.

Not here in Denmark. Lots of people I know, including my parents, say neger. Even one girl whom I would otherwise consider somewhat SJW-ish says it sometimes.

I'm Dutch but it's exactly the same here, the exact same word and the older generations' response. Personally I don't like the word, I never use it and I wince when hearing other people use it though I won't correct them if I can tell they mean no offense.

For me it's rather that the associations are so strong - regardless of etymology it IS the closest translation to nigger - that still choosing to use it feels like a statement. It doesn't help that whenever you read excerpts of old texts (and we had a very, very active slave trade) this is the word they use to describe the slaves. I don't care if it has original associations of racism, it's become tainted to me.

What does mock Norwegian sound like? Us Norwegians speak mock Swedish and Danish all the time, but never heard anyone trying to copy us.

>I reckon it's american influence imposing the history of "nigger" onto our "neger" in the last 20 years that transformed it from a neutral descriptor to a slur.

That is exactly what I am thinking.

Yeah doesn't surprise me that much. From what I've heard, the Danes are way less political correct than Norwegians and Swedes. Swedes being obviously the worst case though.

> regardless of etymology it IS the closest translation to nigger
The closest translation of nigger to Norwegian (and I suppose other Scandinavian languages) is "nigger"

> we had a very, very active slave trade

Yeah I see. Norway never had much of a slave trade (none probably??), and it is therefore very distant from reality to associate "neger" with slave trade, even though the slaves were "negere".

Imitating your tone (which is easy for us, as we're west coast folk) and using the few norwegian words we know, I guess. And some made-up ones like "guleböj" for "banana". It's mostly because norwegian sounds so jolly to us, who in turn sound jolly to east coast swedes.

Haha yeah I've heard about the whole guleböj thing and it is really funny yeah.

It is probably just us from Ostlandet who sound jolly to you (Oslo-dialekten). Listen to Norwegians from the west-coast, and trondere and it might not even sound like Norwegian if they speak with a isolated dialect. Lots of Norwegians from Ostlandet actually have a hard time understanding these dialects themselves ahah

>Swedes being obviously the worst case though.
I can't really disagree with you, but at the same time; the average swede isn't like that. It might SEEM that way based on the media, but you have to remember that the swedish media is largely centralised in a certain part of Stockholm; if it represents the beliefs of anyone, it's those of the Stockholm socialites, and even then I think they'll gladly use the word "neger" as a joke when they're among friends. It's *their* posturing that's reflecting poorly on the rest of us. Shit, I'm from the big "working class" city, and people are nothing like that here.

Though it's true that swedes in general will shy away from using words like that among people they don't know; that's just swedish politeness, and I think danes are a fair bit less timid.

>The closest translation of nigger to Norwegian (and I suppose other Scandinavian languages) is "nigger"
That might be a big difference too, we really have that one term, the ones closer to racial slurs have since died out and been replaced by other things.

I guess in general I have slight discomfort having a "nickname" for a person with a given racial background. We don't have another term for an Asian person than "Asian", not a neutral one at least. No one seems to miss it. So why for black people?
Honestly I find the female version even worse for some reason, negerin (negress) really makes my skin crawl.

Thinking about it a little more I think my negative associations also stem form "regular" people using a bunch of words, but IF the context is racist or otherwise offensive (like a crude slapstick scene based on race) then the word used is neger.

>and it is therefore very distant from reality to associate "neger" with slave trade
Yeah I can imagine that. Though honestly I think many of my countrymen aren't too aware of it either, it is still a source of shame and denial in the NL. There's a lot of talk about the VOC and international trade in history lessons, and it's really just a side comment that actually the company that bought and sold slaves is what made our country much more money.

reading this thread made me realize that scandinavia is just pussified balkans
>I wince when hearing other people use it
>I don't care if it has original associations of racism, it's become tainted to me.
how do people like you even end up here?

Yeah I see. It actually comforting to know not all of Sweden is that political correct.

The very guy you're quoting is Dutch not Scandinavian.

I can deal with encountering things in life I don't like. I don't like babies crying on my commute, I don't like going to the bathroom to find piss on the toilet seat, I don't like my boss chewing me out just because he has a bad mood. Doesn't mean I curl up into the fetal position just for having a negative opinion on it.

I ended up here because I wanted to improve my English and got addicted to reading people's more or less unfiltered thoughts. Putting up with things I find stupid, offensive or whatever is part of the deal and we always strike a deal in life. That's fine.

I'm also Dutch, not Scandinavian.

>Yeah I see. It actually comforting to know not all of Sweden is that political correct.
"Åsiktskorridoren" really fucked up our public discourse and it still lingers. It was defined in 2013 - 2014, which was the peak of swedish media conformity and the "open your hearts" rhetoric used by the moderate government (that had "saved" us from the 2008 economic crisis). There's a wikipedia article on it, and plenty more to read if you're interesting.

This is really interesting! I'll look into it, thanks!

The man who minted the expression described it best;

>"Åsiktskorridoren -- det vill säga den buffertzon där du fortfarande har visst svängrum att yttra en åsikt utan behöva ta emot en dagsfärsk diagnos av ditt mentala tillstånd -- är mycket smal i Sverige. [...] i den svenska befolkningen finns mängder av exempel på hyggligt vanligt förekommande uppfattningar och ställningstaganden som idag nästan helt saknar plats i det offentliga rummet. Och sådana åsiktsyttringar eller verklighetsuppfattningar skulle, om de yttrades av någon, omedelbart leda till en störtflod av ryggmärgsreaktioner från andra opinionsbildare."

TL;DR: The Overton window of the swedish media became incredibly narrow, and many commonly held opinions were completely excluded from the discussion as few journalists had the balls to challenge it, because they'd be attacked and alienated by their colleagues in the press.

Old norsemen had superior shipbuilding, navigation, tactics, metalworking, and construction technology to most of Europe.

Very bad. My parents wouldn't use it. Maybe my grandparents would have when they were younger, but not now.
Books that happen to use it usually get edited to take it out.
t. Swede

>I reckon it's american influence imposing the history of "nigger" onto our "neger" in the last 20 years that transformed it from a neutral descriptor to a slur.
I think this is the deal with the Sami people too, you take the American native stuff and transpose it unto them.
You sure?
I can think of nicknames for almost every ethnicity in Swedish, although no non-slur ones for Asians.
I'd reckon this is because Asians are not strongly disliked. Take for instance gypsies. Any name you use for them, eventually becomes a slur. Why? Because they are fundamentally repulsive.
The only reason the current "romani" hasn't become one yet, is because nobody uses it in real life.

it was used fairly liberally (by students) when I was in school (finished gymnasiet '13)
I also remember a lekisfröken saying that negrer were "ett folkslag", which, you know, would be plain old incorrect, no adjective needed
t.swede

>adjective
*adverb

> I think this is the deal with the Sami people too, you take the American native stuff and transpose it unto them.

Probably some truth to that, but I doubt it somewhat. I don't know about how the Sami people were treated in Sweden and Denmark, but here in Norway, we really tried all we could to get rid of their culture through extreme assimilation, so I suppose it's fair we treat them better now.

A giant meme, still.
They were here after us, yet they're still treated as 'natives' because of America.

>although no non-slur ones for Asians.
That's what I meant, we have slurs but otherwise they are just described as an Asian (or Chinese or whatever) man or woman. We have some very harsh slurs actually but they are virtually never used. There's no grey area term that sets them apart without being ostensibly hurtful.

I can't relate to the gypsies thing as we don't really have an active community. I know the word gypsy is regarded as politically incorrect but I've never actually heard anyone express dislike and the use is mostly neutral/positive (e.g. gypsy style for colorful clothes).

It's quite possible there's something I'm not thinking of but nothing comes to mind.

I wonder if Lidmanfag still comes here.

Sweden also did some bad shit to the sami, but the idea that they're THE indigenous people of Sweden is a meme from the US, I'm pretty sure. I find it distasteful that the reindeer sami get their fiscally unviable reindeer herding subsidised by the state when the fishing and shipyard industry of Gothenburg was left to die in the 80s. Fishing has been the lifeblood of this entire region for hundred, if not thousands of years; why isn't our way of life worth preserving? Why are we forced to adapt to the realities of the world whilst the sami are free to enjoy a subsidised lifestyle? It's not like sami who don't herd reindeer get any money, or like the other residents of Norrland, who too have lived there for dozens upon dozens of generations, get their salaries saved when industries die off and their hometowns get deserted.

Okay, so black people in America then.
They used to be called niggers. Not okay, so they change it.
Then they're negroes. Not okay, so they changed it.
Then they're blacks. Not okay, so they changed it.
Now they're African-Americans.
Same goes for retarded people. Now they're "differently abled". It's because they are a fundamentally repulsive group of people, that any name you have for them becomes a slur with time.

Asians tend not to have this problem, as people do not have much against them. The only reason there are some slurs in English is due to WWII.

>that they're THE indigenous people of Sweden
I've always heard that they're the indigenous people of Lappland
never seen anyone claim that they're the indigenous people of all of Sweden
sure you're not memeing yourself here?

>sure you're not memeing yourself here?
Nah, I hear it all the fucking time; mostly from foreigners, though there are some misinformed swedes out there too. Ultimately it's not a big issue, economically or politically, it just really annoys me.

Or the fact that the dynamic between black and white inhabitants was problematic from the start (fighting over land and agency) meant there were negative experiences and the associations of that stuck to the words?

I don't really think it's a matter of animosity. In my country the most universally shat upon group is Moroccans currently, young Moroccan guys are the most visible demograph causing issues, yet there's no nickname for them (or a group they are part of) that's similar to neger.

Hell, after Moroccans most hatred would probably be reserved for Poles who would be stealing jobs and lying and what not, but still no nickname other than shitting on them for being Polish.

Also at least over here Asian people definitely get negativity, it's just more sly. Making jokes about takeaway food, asking how they can tell family members apart, doing exaggerated accents (like making an l out of an r), implying Asian people are "born smart" so their accomplishes or talents are not special, hell when I was in primary school we did slit eyes while singing in a made up "Asian" language for every kid's birthday. It is more benign but incredibly condescending.

In English, you have "polack" as a slur for Poles. For Arabs in general, "wogs". I don't speak Dutch, and here Poles aren't particularly hated, but Arabs are and they have a lot of slurs for this reason.
As for the Asians, none of those signify any real animosity. That's just banter, like claiming people with red hair lack souls, that the Dutch are all hedonist drug abusers and whoremongers, that Americans are all overweight, etcetera. There's nothing to it.

>In English, you have "polack" as a slur for Poles.
In Sweden we just call poles "polack"; it's just the name for them. Pretty sure it's what they call themselves in polish too. Funny, that.

I'm sure there's some word around somewhere but it's not commonly heard. Even if people bitch about Poles/Arabs they say shit like "retarded cuntMoroccans" or something.

I don't think they signify real animosity either but I do think they show a lack of respect. The thing about banter is that you say something that could sound harsh/rude with the understanding that you both know you like each other. Commenting on a good friend's weight can be banter. Commenting on someone's weight while being introduced to someone is imo rude as fuck. No different for commenting on their race. Until you know how they personally feel, whether they like black humor, how confident they are etc just don't comment on other people's body or appearance. I have also never met an Asian person who actually enjoyed comments like this, though they no doubt exist and I have not known too many good enough to know this in the first place. But I'll be safe rather than sorry and I don't want people to comment on my looks or whatever else right from the start either.

If you are really uncomfortable with Swedish you should honestly just watch some SVT (old or contemporary) with Swedish subtitles. Those who grew up when Norway only had one TV-channel were a lot better at understanding Swedish than 20-year olds here are now because they watched Swedish TV.

How do I learn Danish?
t. Swede living in Malmö

They've been in parts of Scandinavia longer than we have been in those parts though. We (Norwegians) definitely reached Nidaros before the Saamis, but I doubt any Norseman ever sat his foot in Kautokeino before the Saamis settled there.

>his farm outside of grimstad was the butt of the joke for the whole town

Hamsun was a terrible farmer, but that is hardly his main fault as a person

Anyway, I always thought of myself as Geissler

>Wouldn’t bother with the rest though

Really?

It is

Swede

Yeah. He wrote a lot of «pop-lit» later in life, silly tales designed to sell well. Maybe check out «På gjengrodde stier», it’s pretty good. And maybe his wife Marie’s self-bio called «regnbuen»,

In Finland we use it regularly desu

Frans G. Bengtsson is one of, if not the greatest swedish writers of all time.

What about the August-triology and Victoria?

Victoria is a nice read, short as well, so sure. It’s just not very «Hamsunesque», I feel. A bit sappy. Never actually read the triology, but he was an amazing writer, so I have no doubt you’ll get something out of it. I just wouldn’t reccomend it to someone who is looking for «Hamsun the modernist».

What makes Frans G. Bengtsson so good, user? I haven't gotten around to reading him.

A nigger by any other name is still a nigger.

I follow a professor of Norse Mythology on YouTube
if his initials are JC I'm in his class right now in college. He's great, but the videos don't capture just how hilarious he is in person

Good on you for starting this user. I like the 1st and 2nd books in the trilogy.

Attached: 1533832145339.jpg (996x1400, 138K)

nope, not really. real world ain't /int/

any recommendations for swedish poetry (i've only read some tranströmer)? is ekelöf good?

Harry Martinson's Aniara is one of my all-time favourites.

>is ekelöf good
ye

Norway and denmark were very active in the slave trade..

no.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dansk-norsk_slavehandel

I really like Heidenstam's poetry.

Hytte på hytte på hytte på hytte på hytte

bartleby.com/195/14.html

Im around half-way through this and i truly don't get it.
Its just a bunch of made up words that don't even rhyme.

I feel like a total brainlet but i truly don't understand any of the praise for it.

Are you reading the english translation?

Nope

Well, some of it is made-up sci-fi lingo, whilst other parts are a dialect he made up too. I've read about the thought process behind it, and I think Martinson drew a lot from sanskrit or whichever eastern language it was. I didn't recommend Aniara with the dialectal cantos in mind.

>Jag hade tänkt ett paradis för dem
>men sen vi lämnat ett som vi förstörde
>blev tomma rymdens natt vårt enda hem
>ett ändlöst svalg där ingen gud oss hörde.

>Stjärnhimlens eviga mysterium
>och den celesta mekanikens under
>är lag men inte evangelium.
>Barmhärtigheten gror på livets grunder.

>Så föll vi ned på Lagens sanna bud
>och fann vår tomma död i Mimas salar.
>Den gud vi alla hoppats på till slut
>satt kränkt och sårad kvar i Doris dalar.

I use it neutrally when speaking with family members, and sometimes hear older working class people do the same. More often I say "somalier" because that's what most of them are around here, and that word is always attached to an epithet or sneer because they're fucking savages.

Röde Orm is alright but fairly simplistic as I remember it. I read it when I was 10 or so. Much of the narrative is stuck in my memory even almost two decades later though, so I guess it has good pacing and doesn't meander.

>Röde Orm is alright but fairly simplistic as I remember it. I read it when I was 10 or so.
Prose could be fucking fire. I read Tolkien when I was in my early teens and found his style quite boring. Read him again in my early 20s and found everything about his prose absolutely fantastic. I haven't read Röde Orm, I'm just saying.

You may be absolutely right. Also simplistic isn't necessarily bad in the novels context.

Don't know much about poetry, but have this one. Had it recited by a coworker and took a liking to it.

Gud kröp in i ett svin,
därav blev människan till,
kärlek förnuft och latrin,
hopkokt till livets vin,
vill det du icke vill,
sådan är livskomedin.

Nils Ferlin's little poem about 'the other side' is one that stuck with me.

Inte ens en grå liten fågel
som sjunger på grönan kvist
det finns på den andra sidan
och det tycker jag nog blir trist.

Inte ens en grå liten fågel
och aldrig en björk som står vit -
men den vackraste dagen
som sommaren ger
har det hänt att jag längtat dit.

The Saint Lucy's Day song "Natten går tunga fjät"/"luciasången" is lyrically underrated imo. Some of the lines are incredibly evocative relative to length and simplicity.

I love that one as well