Do you sound like a clown if you pronounce Cicero's name "Kick-e-row"?

Do you sound like a clown if you pronounce Cicero's name "Kick-e-row"?

Attached: 1543676047464.jpg (682x1023, 121K)

Other urls found in this thread:

books.google.com/books?id=RY0AAAAAYAAJ
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You use Italian pronunciation for Latin: chee-cha-roo. Don't look like an idiot in front of your professor, user.

Depends who you are talking to. But usually, yes.

It's about context, user. Cicero, like Caesar, is famous enough to be known to people who otherwise aren't into latin or roman history, and they'll know him by the soft C.

Its actually Tsit-tser-o

I've also heard somewhere that the romans pronounced 'c' as 'k' and that the pronounciation as 'z' has developed later. So Caesar would have been pronounced similar to the german word Kaiser. But I don't know if this is true.

Probably to brainlets, same as pronouncing vedi vidi vici as wady weedy wicky

It is

Yes. There is an English pronunciation of Latin, and that is how we pronounce these names in English. Likewise Greek names filter through this system. If you think the English pronunciation of Cicero should be changed, then so should everything else -- Hercules, Plato, Vergil, Julius Caesar, etc.

American: "siss-uh-row"
Italian: "chich-a-ro"
Classical Latin: "kick-e-ro"

Use the proper pronunciation for your context.
>t. American Latin teacher

*veni
One of the most famous Latin quotes, and you fucked it up. Not only did you fuck it up, but you criticizes "brainlets" for not knowing Latin as you fucked it up.

Here's a good tip for NOT fucking up next time. Veni is similar to "venir" (the French verb meaning "to come." You do know your French, right user? After all, no patrician is complete without his French!)

>le authentic names meme
You speak english, so whats wrong with using english pronunciation?

Yes, english pronounciations of names are fucking retarded

>Italian: "chich-a-ro"
no

When we drop the western names for the Greek gods

Wouldn't it be Ki-Ke-Ro?

They're not. Prior to the recovery of the classical pronunciation, it was universal practice for each nation to pronounce Latin as their own native language. This filters down to the modern day in the pronunciation of names. For example the German pronunciation that was mentioned here . There's no reason to try to recreate the ancient pronunciations in our own language when we already have a working system that everyone understands and that is accommodated to our own language.

Don't forget to trill the "r" so that you can be fully "authentic."

I love these threads because they show how much of a complete clusterfuck English pronunciation is. Every time a "English #1 monolingual and proud" thread is posted, we should just redirect it here.

It's actually not a clusterfuck in this case. There's an underlying system for how Greek and Latin names are pronounced. People use it unconsciously without knowing it. You can find it described in some Latin grammars from the 19th century.

For anyone who cares here's a link to a Latin grammar that describes it
books.google.com/books?id=RY0AAAAAYAAJ
The section on pronunciation starts on page 11

There's a clear phonetic pronounciation, but transcribing it into graphemes is always confusing as fuck without IPA

yes thank you I fucked up

Here is a great Dutch proverb translated to French for you by yours truly
>Les femmes, vous feriez mieux de garder des poulets

Attached: 1532361671153.png (500x500, 303K)

yes but it depends on in what language you write phonetically: in Dutch it would be Kie-ke-roo

If you are speaking English, pronounce it the way you would pronounce it in English. Don't be that douche bag who changes pronunciations mid sentence to sound "cultured".

>My friend is from China
>China? Oh you mean Zhonghua Renmin Gongheguo?

>Ah yes, for our vacation we went down to a resort in Punta Cana Meh-Hee-Ko

>My favourite historical figure is Yoo-li-us Kay-zar
>ah i myself am a fan of Imperator Kayzar Diwi Filius Augoostoos

See how pretentious this sounds?

ki-KEYE-ruh

How would you pronounce vicissism then? We kiss im?

chi-che-ro

ka-me-hame-ha

Why are englishcucks so emasculated that they can't even pronounce 'r' properly?

>Italian: "chich-a-ro
It's ChiCheRow

Zizero. Who pronounces it like that?

It's Kikeri-doo

The correct pronunciation is:
Ch (like China) I (like Idiot) Che (like Check) Ro (like Rome) Ne (like Nemesis).
In italian his name is Cicerone.
>t. Shitalian

I hate that, and I would never go for the trilled R, that just makes you sound retarded. But it's not inherently more difficult to say "kikero" than "sisero".

You'd probably sound like a pretentious faggot if anything else, since it has been pronounced the way it is from the medieval times, despite it not being correct.

lel you're a fucking idiot haha

based anglo anti-intellectual poster