Rank his novels

Rank his novels

Attached: 220px-Dostoevskij_1876.jpg (220x277, 16K)

shit>his novels
russians are overrated especially dostoyevsky

From best to worst.
Karamazov > Crime > Notes > Demons/Idiot > Gambler

He is by far, the most overrated "classic" to ever grace this planet. A shill of stupid, immature values who only got popular because his ideas are simple enough for the masses not to feel stupid while reading him.

I wouldn't go that far.

Demons is trash, so is Notes. The Idiot is probably his best work.

This is mostly true.

Gotta disagree with you butterfly. Notes was funny as hell to read.

TBK
CRIME/DEMONS
HUMILIATED AND INSULTED
IDIOT
NOTES/GAMBLER
HOUSE OF THE DEAD

Opinion discarded

thank you user, now I don't have to make this post

Dostoevski was one of the realest guys out there and you're all a bunch of pseuds for pretending to dislike him, so was Nabokov for that matter.

Humiliated and insulted is definitely under-rated and under-appreciated but it's not better that the idiot or notes.

UNCLE'S DREAM
The brothers Karamazov
Demons
Crime and punishment
Notes from the underground
The insulted and the humiliated
The gambler
The idiot
House of the dead
White Nights
The adolescent
The Double
Village of Stepanchikovo
Poor folk

No love for the Adolescent or the Eternal Husband here ? ;_;

The Adolescent is a lesser Karamozov, I'd put it on par with Crime.

You have the worst fucking taste.

The adolescent is the worst thing he wrote imo

How is it that you manage to turn every thread you post in into shit? Every time without fail.

Crime & Punishment
The Brothers Karamazov
The Idiot
Notes from Underground
Demons
The House of the Dead

I'm not sure how I'd rank his novellas. Of those I've read, I like them about the same. I haven't read Poor Folk or The Eternal Husband yet.

Can someone please find who this guy is and block him from commenting.

You're completely right when it comes to Demons and Notes

The Eternal Husband is very nice, but the average 4channer wants to suck on something longer

This

would you mind telling us what your favorite novel is?

Demons=TBK>Crime and Punishment>the idiot>the double=NFTU>Poor Folk> his short stories

;_;

Karamazov > Idiot > Gambler > Crime > Notes > Demons

You still haven't died yet, Butterfly? One day, though. That's one of those things that makes me happy.

Karamazov > Crime > Idiot > Notes > Gambler

i dont get all this praise for dosto on lit where most of the people read it in either english or some other non slavic language. you will never EVER experience dosto as it should be experienced - you are basically reading completely different books, i actually feel a bit sorry for you; no idea about other languages but english translations are laughably bad

House of the Dead is criminally under-read and under-rated. It's not an enjoyable read, but it conveys what I imagine the monotony prison life would be. It's a pale and grey nightmare, though not as exciting as his other novels.

Attached: 1414458611246.gif (255x192, 111K)

im sure the same could be said of many other famous works (don quixote, the trial etc) but alas not everyone is multilingual

The Idiot > House of the Dead > Notes > Gambler
Thats all I've read for now, gonna read Crime soon

I don't remember that much from it desu. Still a few things like how everyone got fucking whipped and the inmates killed Dosto's doggo.

> you will never EVER experience dosto as it should be experienced

This is inevitable for everyone into Western literature, unless they can read Greek, Latin, German, French, Italian, English, Spanish, Portuguese and Russian at the very least.

Still the translation of a great book can still be a great book. It's also telling that the appreciation of dosto (at least in the US and in France from what I've seen) doesn't rely on the idea that "it must be so much better in the original".

People are legitimately blown away by the characterization, the psychological insight, the composition, the religious and moral meditations, which are things you can translate procided you're willing to make the effort.

Same thing with Shakespeare being praised to heavens in the Continent despite most of his readers not being that good in English (and despite Shakespeare being very invested in wordplay).

Of his four major novels I like The Idiot the most and Demons the least.

Everyone's going to experience reading his works differently, regardless of what language they read.