Why did Nabokov ACTUALLY hate Faulkner so much?

Why did Nabokov ACTUALLY hate Faulkner so much?

We all know the famous quote:
>Faulkner, William. Dislike him. Writer of corncobby chronicles. To consider them masterpieces is an absurd delusion. A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me.

But all it seems to imply is that Nabokov doesn't like his subject matter. Is that 100% his reasoning? Because then it's easy to understand seeing as Nabokov wrote what you could call 'aristocratic' works with aristocratic and upper class characters and Faulkner wrote about down-n-outs, hick country folk and niggers

Attached: nabokovfights2-1240x574-1-1240x474.jpg (1240x474, 84K)

Other urls found in this thread:

wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Yeah. It's just a personality clash, a difference of aesthetics. Relax, detective.

Attached: lolita.jpg (700x656, 47K)

Nabokov hated everyone but himself. If he ever claimed to like another author, he really just hated them in secret.

He liked a few tho

Lies.

He was a shitposter. Talk down on acclaimed stuff to make yourself appear intelligent. There was a thread on here the other day with people shitting on Chopin, same principle

Jealously perhaps. Faulkner’s work is inseparable from the history and culture of his birthplace, thematically speaking, Nabokov isn’t even in the same universe of Faulkner as a writer. Nabby had no culture, his whole persona is snobby prick. He was stuck writing pedophile chronicles and insepid meta-fiction with a thesaurus as his inspiration. Even if you just want to talk prose, I’ll still take Faulkner any day.

He didn't jive with nabokov's synesthesia

He liked Kafka, Bely, Joyce, etc.

Nabokov was fickle and bitchy and took pleasure in operating on feeling alone. Not that it's a bad thing, his personality is very charming, but there may not have been a heavy reason behind some of his opinions

He was just messing around. Making inflammatory statements so we continue to talk about him. That's how writers (and artists) are. Like Borges saying that the first time he read Don Quixote was in English, yeah. reading THE Spanish masterpiece in English. His widow confirmed he was just messing around and that that was part of his humour. Now, Nabs here, may or may not feel this way about Faulkner: it doesn't really matter as long as people talk about it.

>Plato. Not particularly fond of him.
Always gets me

Anything about Leo Tolstoy?

He didn't like Joyce, he just liked Ulysses.

>he just liked Ulysses.

he considered it the greatest piece of literature of the 20th century, so i think it's fair to say he liked joyce whatever misgiving he had about his other works.

Did he really say this?

>Chopin
is genuinely shit, art hoe muzak
>mfw that one fugue
OH NO NO NO NO NO

wmjas.wikidot.com/nabokov-s-recommendations

Nabokov's criticisms are the funniest shit ever.
>A nonentity, means absolutely nothing to me.

Nabby said many of the things we all think at some point but aren't articulate enough to express them.

Nabokov wanted to affect a certain cosmopolitan, universal aesthetic sense. Faulkners bold and courageous move of setting his novels in the deep south, away from what normies tend to think of as "The Universal" was picked up by Nabokov (a pleb) as a sign of weakness. The fact he called Faulkner's stories "corncobby chronicles" is indicative of my interpretation.

>Nabby likes Salinger
Huh. Bloom likes him as well, what's Yea Forums's problem?

Yea Forums read Catcher in the Rye when they were 16 and now that they're the ripe old age of 21, feel that tugging need to disavow themselves from their own adolescence and everything they liked during that period.

The South was already a normie setting by the time Faulkner wrote about it. Stop being delusional.

The great thing about Faulkner is that he reached the universal by insisting on the local. It’s not a switch, it’s more like a continuum, and by going so far in the direction of the local, he transcended it. If you’re interested in this kind of argument, I believe Lorca and Borges engaged in a debate about whether to favour local colour vs. Universality.

Faulkner is #1. That’s why Nabokov hated him.

Wacky Jewy ironybros are actually possessed by demonic hatred.

Nabokov was a fuckin sicko and a hebephile. Lolita and The Enchanter was basically catharsis for him.

>Faulkner is #1
lol

>a writer is his characters
Plebbit tier opinion. Consider suicide.

Attached: RG0BS1U.gif (390x205, 1.98M)

nerd

>a lonely, snobby narcissist can divorce himself completely from his works

>am depressed and puzzled by his inability to describe young women

Attached: file_laugh2.jpg (904x680, 101K)

To my knowledge, he only commented on Sanctuary, one of his lesser novels. Did he ever talk about Absalom, As I Lay Dying or The Sound and the Fury specifically?

But that's exactly what I meant. Faulkner decided to focus on the regional and still achieve somethin worthwhile. Nabokov saw this move as a regionalist, vernacular one. In other words, Nabokov was stupid.

Wonder why he only rates one Kafka book, if it's supposedly the 2nd best work of the century you would think he'd talk about his other stuff

Wtf I hate Nabokov now? The corn cob part from sanctuary seems right up his alley. He was probably joking desu. Or just mad he can’t write like the GOAT

Because Faulkner is trash.
"Corncobby chronicles" is probably the most concise, accurate description of his writing style.

>Borges, Jorge Luis. A favorite. How freely one breathes in his marvelous labyrinths! Lucidity of thought, purity of poetry. A man of infinite talent.

>Hemingway, Ernest. A writer of books for boys. Certainly better than Conrad. Has at least a voice of his own. Nothing I would care to have written myself. In mentality and emotion, hopelessly juvenile. Loathe his works about bells, balls, and bulls.

>Marx, Karl. Loathe him.

Damn, Nabokov is right about literally everything.

He loved Anna Karenina and despised War and Peace.

based

It's because he's a pseud

So you really think Faulkner, Dostoievsky, Anna Karenina, Balzac, Racine, Stendhal, Corneille and many others are shit, but you couldn't articulate it before ?

Or is it that Nabby purposfull exagerated some things he didn't like in famous writers for kicks ?

He's mostly just meming.

I don't understand you.

>despised War and Peace.
Not true. He despised Resurrection and The Kreuzer Sonata, but not War and Peace. He just thought it was too long, too preachy and historically inaccurate.

I've been trying to read Resurrection lately, it's like he didn't even fucking try to make it read well, everything is just in service of his ideas he wants to communicate.

Semi-related, I read Gatsby at that age and hated it, but feel like I’d enjoy it now. But nothing in Catcher makes me feel that way. Is it just me? Is catcher a low point for Salinger or am I just a pleb?

Dunno, m8. I loved Catcher since I read it at like 16 or 17 and now I want to re-read it. Not every book is written for everyone, so don't worry.

GHASTLY RIGMAROLE

How could say that about based Plato... :(