How to write like Calvino

I get a lot of compliments on my writing, from teachers and friends. It’s nice to hear them, but even if I feel slightly confident I become intimidated as I read every one of Italo Calvino’s brilliant novels. My language can’t complete. My stylistic choices can’t complete. My tone, my voice, my intent — none of it. I solemnly believe there is no greater or more brilliant writer of the modern age than Italo Calvino. Every sentence is full of life. Every paragraph is stuffed densely with implications and ideas that present themselves so abstractly yet so down to earth and fluid. There exists no word within his writing that doesn’t feel like it belongs. There exists no punctuation that does not add meaning of its own with its change of flow of the prose that already beautifully weaves itself into a being that only it can occupy, and that only it will ever occupy. No matter how I seek to improve my own work, it’s nothing but a race for second place, because after the mountain of historical literary figures has been surmounted, the final obstacle that remains is a towering obelisk that stretches to the farthest reaches of the solar system and beyond.

Wat do anons? How do I reach this peak perfection in writing?

Attached: CA732B5B-B64D-4A9F-9A8A-629D9E482A03.jpg (1298x2004, 93K)

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/Z2iMS5qj
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Read this, op.

Attached: image.jpg (1525x2341, 924K)

Italians in general are by far the most underrated writers. Yea Forums is fucking retarded with their constant shilling of amerifags and frenchfags.

Came here to post this

Stop being so insecure and write, faggot.

Which of his books should I read first?

I wonder what your major is

>can’t complete

Invisible cities.

This, desu

I'm an Italian and I write in English because no one in my country would read my shit. What's your point?

One thing’s for sure : Calvino was having more fun than you.

OP you should put down Calvino and learn to write on your own. Take a page from others but don't copy them, because you'll never make it and you'll never be the same as who you're trying to imitate. Stop thinking about famous names and write.

How do you do it? One thing is Yea Forums posts, but a book is on a whole other level

Well, all my books besides Italian novels are in English and I write down every word and idiom i come across. Sometimes I look up the dictionary if the synonym slips my mind but that's the gist of it. The more you exercise the more it comes easy to write.

Damn bro, wish I'd seen this post before
i literally just bought The Castle of Crossed Destinies thinking it'd be a better intro since it's a tad smaller

Come no, basta crederci.

Ma perché dovete essere così stronzi?

Not sure what YOUR point is, but I merely noted that Eco, Calvino, Dante and Machiavelli were all Italians.

Intanto se continui a grattarti le palle non imparerai a scrivere in italiano, né tantomeno in Inglese, rincoglionito che non sei altro.

Kek

Post book, larping faggot.

Don't worry, its all good. Invisible cities is just a bit better.

Thank you for ruining the thread, you fucking RITARDATI DI MERDA.

The Castle of Crossed Destinies is also really good.

It's fine

Attached: 1550728603788.jpg (1125x1401, 892K)

Lit never praises frenchfags.

hi Mattia

Are you a retardfaggot? I can't go a day without seeing some "oh-i-am-so-depressed" frenchfag recommended.

>no one in my country would read my shit
Well said bro, no one in Italy wants to read your shitty writing attempts.

All french recs come from french.

>not writing in your native language
Who are you? Nabokov? lmao be real

pastebin.com/Z2iMS5qj
It's an excerpt I wrote down a couple of months ago. My prose might not be perfect but unlike you jackassess who talk shit before seeing things through I'm trying my best to learn on my own.

Thanks my friends. I really look forward to the read now

You are retarded. How have I come to this conclusion, you ask? You see, I live in a tiny country; our language is spoken only by the few inhabitants we have, for no foreigner in their right mind would bother learning this convoluted mess. It should also be noted that the literature scene in this country I am referencing is an absolute joke. So I conclude that writing in my native language would be a literal professional suicide. Not to mention my english is undeniably good enough to write anything, save for maybe poetry. For the type of literature I write the quality of the prose is perhaps of some importance, but ultimately besides the point.

>pastebin.com/Z2iMS5qj
it's okay. don't get cocky.

easy, mattia ravasi. if you were good enough you could easily write in your native tongue, no need for pasty english.

I am not him. I suppose you assumed I am the same user as the Italian user, but I am clearly not, as could have been extrapolated from the complaints I had regarding the size of my country.

Which country?

>don't get cocky
Yeah alright, I'm the one who's getting cocky. Just wanted to point out that you're as narrow-minded and biased as my grandparents. It's entirely possible to write a book in another language without living spending a minute in a foreign country if you're well versed and analyze the works you're reading instead of flipping through the pages.
Ma come cazzo fai a fidarti di un paese che rivende i libri presi con i soldi da spendere in cultura che il governo regala ai diciottenni? E come la mettiamo col fatto che siamo abbiamo il numero più alto di analfabeti funzionali? E se volessi scrivere per un pubblico più vasto? Ma dico te lo sei mangiato a colazione il cervello, razza di ritardato mentale?
Btw this is not me.

Your punctuation is unnatural. You put a comma is a few places, when you really should have started a new sentence ("I would have", "I was trying"). The comma before "a water stream" serves no purpose. You need to put one before "and green". Also "As I did so" or something similar would sound better than repeating "As I passed".

That is more of a job for an editor though. The overall prose is highly readable and somewhat captivating.

Eh, I just realized I don't care if people know I browse Yea Forums, so Lithuania.

Well, i don't revise my chapters after writing them out. I'll take care of it in the second draft.

Either you're not italian or you're twelve. What kind of idiotic syntax is this? Please leave.

>you're not italian
Okay this is epic. I am in every respect an Italian citizen born in Italy, but as a result of reading exclusively books and articles in English, my dictionary doesn't extend beyond the everyday lexicon. I might try to write in Italian, but I fear that by now I'm completely attuned to English.

Attached: IMG_20190215_164302.jpg (1632x3264, 1.14M)

Same here. My english is better than the language I was born into, due to internet and books.

Based camerata
Acquire success, relinquish mother country.

Attached: fuuuck.gif (288x287, 846K)

I heard Italians in general don’t read much. As in a bibliophilic nation.

They don't, that's why from time to time you see ads on TV encouraging young people to read. The government offered to increase the cultural level by giving 500 pastabucks to every 18 year old in the country, but people turned their backs on Renzi and sold the books they bought for half the price at local libraries. Italy is as good as dead, an underdevelopment country and a corrupt shit hole and I'd only be all the more happier if it was wiped off the face of earth.

Kill yourself you fucking pretentious ass

>pretentious ass
>on Yea Forums
Kek

Attached: 1550081200035.gif (815x815, 818K)

Fucking kill yourself, you're a walking meme.

"Based"? Based?!??? NO it's fucking cringe, you fucking assholes. You're so fucking wrong and pathetic, especially pathetic, that I'm dying of cringe. People like you should be exterminated.

Cry more /pol/tard. Italy is a shit hole.

>For the type of literature I write the quality of the prose is perhaps of some importance, but ultimately besides the point.
So your "literature" is smutty genre fiction?

Sad!

>people like you should be exterminated
Deep breaths friend.

I read 6 hours a day, every day. Entirely in english. I spend the rest of my day working or browsing the internet (also english).
And here you come, telling me I am cringy for prefering to write in english. Reconsider your life choices.

What is so hard to understand about some of literature being about ideas, rather than prose? Why does the quality of the prose matter in the works of Huxley, Zamyatin or even Kafka? The whole point of their novels are the ideas that they convey, rather than beauty. Why even read, if prose is all that matters to you? Music and painting would probably suit you better.

This nigga is comparing himself to Kafka and Huxley, what a fucking retard.