Most of the advice and discourse surrounding Yea Forums is awful

1. Most of the people here haven't read most of the things they claim YOU should read. "You should read Ulysses, Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, Blood Meridian, Ficciones etc.." These books are widely considered to be the most difficult works of literature ever written; just one of them takes a very long time to read, understand, and appreciate. It's not a grocery list that you just check off because you want to look impressive to others.

2. Keep in mind that most of the advice being given to you and attitudes being put forward are done by teenagers and young adults, most of whom do it in this quasi-ironic way that you're not sure if they're being serious or ironic because it's hard to read irony & sarcasm in writing plus since it's anonymous you can't look at someones history and see if they're consistently ironic.

3. You'll find a lot of cleverness here, but very little wisdom. There's a lot of referencing and in-jokes. It's not a crime to not know an in-joke and it's not a crime to be a genuine person, as much as the teenagers on here think that it is.

4. If you're not enjoying a book (no matter how revered it is), don't continue reading it. John E. Williams (author of the exalted novel Stoner) said "My God, to read without joy is stupid." If you don't find joy in learning new things, and the prose and story doesn't bring you joy, just stop reading it. Life is too short to spend time impressing others.

5. A lot of the information propagated here (and on the internet in general) is surface level. Someone referencing an obscure author or text doesn't make their analysis and general thought on it engaging or worthwhile. Having a thread about some author or writer that almost no one has ever heard of and saying "Does Yea Forums like William Hazlitt?" and then spend an entire thread jerking off about how you know who he is despite knowing nothing about his life, work, or general thought beyond some google searches and a short skimming of their wikipedia article is pathetic.

6. Despite all of the flaws, don't treat the people or the board with contempt. Be kind, answer questions (even if the people asking them are probably being sarcastic), ask questions, and treat the board with a good natured detachment.

Attached: HarryGreb.jpg (858x536, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/lawUkmD3i9I?t=3
youtu.be/2yShQ1IVpYI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

7. just read Finnegan Wake over and over again. it already contains every past and future book.

I’ve actually read 3/5 of the famously hard books you mentioned. They were fun, and I enjoyed them, though I’m sure I didn’t completely understand them I look forward to rereading them someday soon

Which books, might I ask?

I'm glad that you enjoyed them.

Ficciones, I got most of it but I admit that the “Tlon” story I’m not sure I really got completely, I really liked “Pierre Menard,” “Three Versions of Judas,” and “The South”

Blood Meridian, I had lots of fun, I looked up words sometimes but usually just extrapolated from context

Gravity’s Rainbow, I probably understood this one the least except for I was able to latch on to a couple of the most prominent characters and follow their stories. Really loved it from about page 400 onward.

I have tried to read Ulysses and failed before page 100, I love Dubliners and Portrait tho

IJ for some reason I don’t have a lot of interest in, I like DFW later in his career (really liked Oblivion)

Serious question: If you see all these problems with the board why do you come here?

youtu.be/lawUkmD3i9I?t=3

Great post, I think this will save some of the young and impressionable who stumble here. True wisdom, should be a new copy pasta.

Great joke, truly hilarious and a perfect example of almost all the points listed here, especially 2 and 3. I do love the banter here.

I'd like to think many people here have read Ulysses, IJ, GR, Blood Meridian, and Ficciones. I've read them all except IJ, which I started but have not finished. Only Ulysses and GR are really "difficult" reads.

As for threads about people like Hazlitt, I always just assume that the people talking about him have read his essays. If you have a decent grasp of literary history, you should probably know that he was an essayist associated with the romantics, but I doubt anyone would seriously think less of you for not having read anything by him yet (I certainly haven't).

I agree that wisdom is more important than cleverness, and that kindness is a far better stance than contempt. This is one of the virtues of the endless process philosophy threads on this board—they have a certain non-judgemental collaborative spirit that most of Yea Forums lacks. But with that said, cleverness and vitriolic argument can be fun and productive too.

Of course one should read for joy, rather than to show off or meet someone else's standards. At the same time, I've often found that books I slogged through because I felt like I "should" read them ended up being very rewarding and full of joy. "Start with the Greeks" may be an obnoxious, unhelpful thing to say, but it's also pretty sound advice—if you want to get the most out of reading philosophy, for example, it really helps to have some historical perspective. Most of the advice on this board is like that: it may emerge from pure posturing, but it can still be helpful.

how does one enjoy reading under the volcano before getting to th

What's "th"?

I can't tell you how one would enjoy Under The Volcano, I've never read it. If you enjoy it, then keep reading it.

You are, in all likelihood, one of these uneducated teenagers. I can tell by the fact that your only reference to literature was a quote by John Williams that is often memed on here. You write like a stuck-up queer who needs a good dicking. Yea Forums is a piece of shit, and has always been a piece of shit. I have had decent discussions on here, but you should know that if you spend your time posting on an online anime forum about literature, you are wasting your time. Yea Forums is beyond saving, which is not to say that it has ever been something valuable or edifying in the first place. Yea Forums is not a good place for discussions, and never has been. It is a place to make stupid subversive jokes about often worshipped authors. The value of Yea Forums, if it has any, is solely in how the bitterness and ironic detachment of its users allows for some of the funniest literary jokes I have ever had the pleasure of witnessing.

>most of whom do it in this quasi-ironic way that you're not sure if they're being serious or ironic because it's hard to read irony & sarcasm in writing plus since it's anonymous you can't look at someones history and see if they're consistently ironic.

It's the tired old "are they being ironic or serious" meta-quandary. When are people like you going to unironically kill themselves?

Nice blog. Unfortunately you seem to have made a mistake. This is not your blog.
Please fuck off.

Attached: crybabies.png (480x480, 111K)

The point of lit is recommendations
Recommendations spanning the globe
The thrill of victory
And the agony of defeat
youtu.be/2yShQ1IVpYI

>Ulysses, Infinite Jest, Gravity's Rainbow, Blood Meridian, Ficciones etc.." These books are widely considered to be the most difficult works of literature ever written
they aren’t difficult—Finnegans Wake is
professors just read the same books over and over, and they’re great books
what is your point?

>ficciones
>difficult
pleb op

Attached: 2018-12-26 01.44.37.png (586x630, 433K)

>4.
What if I'm not enjoying a book because I'm deficient in some way or approaching it from the wrong perspective? If I can't appreciate Notes from the Underground, then I feel like I'm missing out on something. A piece of wisdom, some kind of life experience, or a set of expectations. Something. I'm not a self-centered brat who thinks my opinions are the most important, and I like to give charity to things.

>Yea Forums is not a good place for discussions
not true. occasionally there are good discussions, and you're most likely going to find them here over any other public place on the internet.

These all accurately describe me so therefore they must also accurately describe everyone else here too.

The worst part is when you and another user start having a productive one on one in a post and someone with a similar writing style comes in and just calls that guy a fucking peasant idiot and it makes you look bad

I'm sure there's someplace more reliable than this. The only forums people on here know of are
1. Yea Forums
2. goodreads
3. reading based subreddits
The internet is big enough that there are certainly better places for academic discussion, although I don't know where they are.

>Blood Meridian, Ficciones
>difficult
are you Forrest Gump? because you're retarded

sounds like you could use a re-examination of #6, bud

>Ficciones
I read Ficciones when I was 16. I only see it being difficult if you're still learning spanish and reading it untranslated

People keep acting like humor is somehow a redeeming quality of the forum, but most of what counts as "humor" here is just bitterness and pointless disrespect, either thinly masked or totally naked. A lot of people here don't really want to talk about books. They just want a support group made up of disembodied words that they can accuse of being retarded faggots.

On an anonymous forum, there is no "you"

There is, its just impossible to keep track of and it fucks up otherwise coherent conversations.

Engaging in pseudointellectualism can be fun. Yea Forums is a good place to find recommendations and try out ideas. I don't think most people take the circle-jerking too seriously.

Honestly my only complaint about lit is the nonstop circlejerking about Jordan Peterson and the Greeks. Idk how you people can talk about that shit over and over every day.

Nothing to add at this time - but just wanted to pop in and say this is a good thread. I’ve been browsing Yea Forums less and less lately but this makes me wanna come back more often.

Why would you want someone to tell you what you should read? Get off the beaten path.

Your literary taste is as independent of outside influence as your ability to speak.

>goodreads
>reading based subreddits
please, please off yourself

For knowing about them?

How dare you use other websites >:(

>based subreddits
There haven't been any "based" subreddits since the big purge in 2015 and goodreads is unironically worse than amazon's review section.

I didn't mean "based" in the Yea Forums sense. I meant "reading based" as in "based in the discussion of reading."
I didn't say I used the sites. I said Yea Forums knew about them. I was just saying there is a dearth of knowledge on Yea Forums of worthwhile forums for literary discussion.