Pomo Thread

mods are awake, post post-modernism. My two editions of TCoL49 are better than yours. Anyone have the original covers for JR or Gravity's Rainbow?

Attached: Screenshot_20190221-172944_Photos.jpg (1458x1036, 405K)

that shit needs 2666

needs more Hawkes

I have it but haven't read it
I don't have any hawkes.

Hey OP, can you tell me the exact size (length and width) of The Recognitions? Thanks in advance.

fuck you then

it's 6"x9" and ~2.5" thick

6W×9L×2.1deep/thick in inches, 15.25Wx22.85L×5.33deep/thick in centimeters. 2.8lbs/1.3kg

i have some pretty rare hardcovers (gravitys rainbow 1st edition and women and men) gonna try and track down V. next

Where to start with hawkes and is he actually good?

Attached: https___blogs-images.forbes.com_alfredkonuwa_files_2018_11_Hogan2.jpg (1280x868, 108K)

>Brags about the TCOL49 versions
>Has the cancer version of GR

Nice one OP. But joking aside nice PoMo collection.

Based reddit OP

Post them or STFU faggot

Attached: 1548618024404.png (966x662, 958K)

Why no Eco?

>My two editions of TCoL49 are better than yours.
But user, my edition of V. is superior to yours. My small collection of pomo lit since really I started reading again (as in since high school) only since December. I've been wanting to get in DeLillo's works, how is he? I was thinking White Noise first?

Attached: POMO2.jpg (1000x750, 506K)

i was going to until you said mean words

I like that version. This is the first copy I had which I've given away. I've given away three copies of TCoL49 over the past ~6 years too including both of these covers. I'm at least going to hang onto the hands on paper on this time.

Attached: gr-vintage-2000.jpg (350x538, 51K)

No him but you really have to deliver or be mocked after alleging these things man. I'm interested

I love when Americans are kind and generous with me

>Rings of Saturn
>postmodern
Good joke.

Is it not? I've seen it in various pomo charts, so I assumed it is.

fair enough. these are just some of my favorites. i've got the rest of pynchons stuff in paperback

Attached: IMAG0170.jpg (2560x1920, 1.27M)

a few more without the dust jackets. the price you pay for being lazy and shopping on ebay

Attached: IMAG0169.jpg (1920x2560, 960K)

Nothing about is postmodern. It is more modernist than anything. The only reason the “intellectuals” on here include it in a pomo chart is because it was published in the 1990’s and is an amazing book. Being published post WWII doesn’t inherently make a book pomo.

House of Leaves seems like a huge piece of bullshit to me

pomo for airport crowd.

Wait, that’s all the postmodern books you own??

Very cool. How is women and men? I haven't read any john barth either.

Women and Men gets really good around page ~700

Half of its good. The part about johnny or whoever you can just ignore after the tattoo shop. The parts about the house are great.

i've got a pretty tremendous backlog so i've yet to get to women and men. but i read the floating opera and end of the road by Barth and i thought they were both really good. especially the floating opera, its sort of reminded me of Celine but without quite that same level of bitterness

So does the first 699 pages kind of suck or what? Said so

Which book do I read for bigger cummies?

House of Leaves is kino dawg.

Thank you Reddit, very cool!

>have women and men
>haven't read it for pseud points yet
wtf

>t. shelflet

Fuck you, man, I literally do not have a shelf because quality ones are uncommon and everything is Walmart IKEA tier cardboard shit

>t. zoomer that buys physical media and fawns over their covers

craigslist

>t. shelflet

>t. cunt

>cunt
What an embarrassing epithet. Essentially admitting you're some emasculated eurostarve or roo; or even worse, a tryhard domesticated american aping fairy tale peasant talk

Yikes...

>9990
cringe

Attached: image.jpg (663x632, 95K)

Reroll

Attached: 1543260543846.jpg (750x1024, 122K)

>American posts a picture of a pig
You don't have any mirrors in your flat do you?

Attached: 1409835367788.jpg (160x160, 3K)

Attached: TRt76EuropeanImmigrants.jpg (1600x1673, 1.42M)

>implying any real person would hold both of those opinions simultaneously
Is this real or an edit lmao

Attached: 1546371913985.jpg (1024x576, 294K)

hey bros

Attached: photo72.jpg (3109x2215, 2.53M)

Highly based. I didn't include my mcelroy now that I see this but I have cannonball and smuggler's bible. I have been meaning to get a public burning. Vollman used to come up on Yea Forums sometimes but I don't really know a thing about him.

Truly the Untermensch my bubby warned me about.

wow that's a blast from the past

So was it not an edit then? That's pretty sad is so

Attached: 1540689701238.jpg (550x731, 129K)

both come highly recommended

Attached: photo73.jpg (1241x716, 663K)

>Murricans in 2020: read book; get shot

>he's nogunz
cringe

>Your kids all wear bulletproof backpacks
Zimbabwe

>He doesn't get into a fire fight every other tuesday
Lmao why have yurops gone so soft

Dont forget to take your prozac, 56%

THESE COLORS DON'T RUN

Attached: 1540384160440.gif (250x250, 3.88M)

Where2start with vollman?

Attached: 20190122_235140.jpg (4032x3024, 3.85M)

a fine collection, my friend

you bright & risen angels if you want pynchon-y vollmann, europe central if you want a good representation of his work (one of his best, for sure), the Rifles or the Ice-Shirt if you want to get into his 7 dreams series. you really can't go wrong.

>No Latin passages allowed
Sad!

Is the dream series not sequential?

It's a sequential history, but the stories within are not

So I can read them in any order?

The first 700 have brilliant passages interspersed every 50-80 pages or so, but there are some dull moments. It’s just around 700 it gets really good because that’s when all these separate threads McElroy has been weaving come together.

Is it worth it?

>I've given away three copies of TCoL49 over the past ~6 years too including both of these covers.
are you going to mention this in EVERY lot 49-related thread?

Have you read at least a quarter of those

Pleb opinion

Is catch 22 pomo? What books, beyond the Anglosphere, do you regard as postmodern?

Attached: e175fbf27d5b3359489dff50018938f2.jpg (600x478, 69K)

Gravity's Rainbow

House of leaves is an exasperated parody of post-modernism. It's a comfy and fun read, but the mock-academic tones of Zampanò and the endless digressions of Truant get painfully repetitive fast. I don't really feel like parsing the whole thing in search of coded messages and steganographied hints at the true meaning of life, like the guys on the danielewsky forum did. If the existence of several layers of unreliable narration convey something, it is that nothing in there means anything whatsoever.

>If the existence of several layers of unreliable narration convey something, it is that nothing in there means anything whatsoever.
And that is the definitive degeneration and death of Literature.

>Literature
cringe capitalization

What's this?
Only the part about the house is good

>What's this?
Tristram Shandy

>Not recognizing Tristram Shandy

Can't make a picture right now, but:

A Clockwork Orange
Cat's Cradle
Slaughterhouse-Five
One Hundred Years of Solitude
If on a winter's night a traveler
House of Leaves

cringe post

I haven't read it yet because the free copy I got is falling apart

how cute and predictable that a discussion about pomo tomes turns into a stack thread and >muh covers

OP sets the tone

>some retarded faggot with nothing to contribute in any capacity decides to bitch
I have 3 threads in the catalog close to or well over 100 posts why don't you cry some more bitch nibba

>nothing to contribute
lol yeah hang on i'll go take a picture of my pynchon books

That's nice you asshurt faggot. I have vollman and coover on the way thanks to this thread.

how many of those have you read?

here is my pomo, currently reading The Tunnel.
Foucault's pendulum open because its cover is blank.
third worlder so imported american pomo are fucking expensive so gotta buy them slowly, otherwise I'd have some Coover, barthelme, barth...
The Reconigtions is on the way though.
Of those, haven't read M&D since it arrived with The Tunnel, and 2666

Attached: IMG_20190222_164835.jpg (1442x1080, 496K)

lmao I forgot how insecure this board is xDDD

Attached: 1342837143152.gif (200x204, 42K)

tryhard white males: the thread

>people share literature they enjoy in a literature board: the thread

I’ve only read The Frog. It was very interesting. It has some aspects of pastiche, by not in a turbo way like Gravity’s Rainbow. The two major turns in the narrative are fairly quirky. I enjoyed it.

Nah, I think it’s postmodern. The combination of image and text and its aleatory structure make it so. Actually, I forgot about Let Us Now Praise Famous Men, which is modernist and images plus text as well. I still think it’s postmodern because it’s like a blog before blogs were a big thing.

well i mean who else is going to read a thousand page book for fun besides white people

Is "American Psycho" considered post-modern lit? Or is it a social critique of modernity? How strict is the label outside of philosophical works?

checked

do you alternate versions for each page, or stick to one, analyzing the effects of its cover on the text

your V and GR are cancer, but that 2666 is tasteful, never seen that cover

The Lime Twig

Why should a non-American care about these non-entities? I'm dead serious.

when will this be recognized as peak delillo

Attached: Ratners_star.jpg (219x331, 36K)

I actually alternate each word of TCoL49 between volumes and ruminate on how each cover reflects each word while doing so.

Lime twig and beetle leg are goat

cause it isn't Mao II

>when?
>"cause..."

I’m sorry but you have no concept of what is modernist and postmodernist.

bump

Spring break is on the horizon and that means I may finally have time to start on a doorstopper. Which one of the following?
>The Recognitions
>Underworld
>Gravity's Rainbow
>Against the Day
In regards to my previous experience of the above authors, I've never read Gaddis, disliked DeLillo's White Noise, and absolutely loved Lot 49 and Bleeding Edge but thought Vineland was just okay.

Read Tommy before Gaddis so when you get around to the recognitions and JR you can see what an immature poopoo peepee seth macfarlane pynch is (I still like him).

Lmao Mao II is his worst book.

I read Against the Day last summer, and it was really good, definitely the heaviest book I have ever read.

>No mumbo jumbo by Ishmael Reed
What are you, a Nazi?

>reading Cortázar in English

fuck me, is men and women really bigger than the recognitions and jr?

on goodreads that particular edition of women and man has more than 1200 pages. On other edition it has 1190

as I said, third worlder, the 'where is waldo' editions were expensive enough, good looking editions were way too expensive. Since the text is the same, I don't really care. And that 2666 cover is a brazilian edition so if you see that you can know it is some brazilian poster

reminder this is the coolest IJ cover

Attached: david-foster-wallace-infinite-jest.jpg (840x1311, 222K)

hell no.
>hard cover with the clouds = paperback with acid green letters >> the one with the eye inside the orange television > the one with the clouds and black, white and orange letters > the one you posted

here.
1 = 3 > 8 > 2 > 4

Attached: jest.png (940x940, 1015K)

A paperback copy of 4 was what I had when I first read IJ when I was like 16. The one i'm reading now is 8
rose-tinted glasses are a hell of thing, i guess.

I don't see the point in teenagers reading books that deal with really complicated life situations desu. You're retarded until like 25

t. 27 year old

Now delete this thread

Attached: k.png (1920x1080, 1.88M)

Hey is JR really tough? I heard about it and it sounds fun. Haven’t read Gaddis before but I am a big Barth fan

you can almost smell the suburbs off this post

i dunno i read infinite jest at age 17 or 18 and i was able to comprehend it just fine. now gravitys rainbow or the recognitions on the other hand i think may have gone a bit over my head.

>Anyone have the original covers for JR or Gravity's Rainbow?

Attached: hey.png (609x811, 1.13M)

I think JR is relatively easy. Gaddis voices his characters really well.

I do, I’ll post it when I get home

I guess you haven’t read all those opinion polls of favourite books. African Americans often cite Moby Dick as among their favourites.

Boy you sure don’t have an axe to grind, do you?

Lol. Whatever, mang. Why don’t you go jerk off to some McHale or Jameson.

Thanks user, I was still planning on reading it I just wanted another opinion. How would you rate the book? Just in terms of your enjoyment?

unironically based

so that's why they like fat white bitches