/sffg/ - Science Fiction & Fantasy General

Slave has Revolted Edition
>what sff books are you reading
>what sff books are you reading next
>what sff books are you waiting on

Monthly Reading for February: The Fifth Head of Cerberus by Gene Wolfe (Discussion by 28th feb)

Fantasy:
imgoat.com/uploads/0935e4cd59/105363.jpg
General
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21328.jpg
Flowchart:
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21327.jpg

Science Fiction:
imgoat.com/uploads/def184ad8f/124507.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/b44928ae11/114401.jpg
General:
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21332.jpg
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21330.jpg

NPR's Top 100 Science Fiction & Fantasy Books:
imgoat.com/uploads/6d767d2f8e/21333.jpg

SF&F author listing with ratings and summaries:
greatsfandf.com/authors-full-list.php

Previously:

Attached: 9594.jpg (1920x1232, 516K)

Other urls found in this thread:

www37.zippyshare.com/v/t2MYTzfk/file.html
pastebin.com/N2PSdAiS
blog.aboutamazon.com/books-and-authors/video-games-you-can-read
goodreads.com/review/show/144605737?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1
goodreads.com/review/show/2725140484?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1
williamdarand.fandom.com/wiki/Writing_Calendar
goodreads.com/review/show/385334385?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Pooh
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

hot
where can I buy one of those

Epub (that I have not tried myself): www37.zippyshare.com/v/t2MYTzfk/file.html

Attached: monthly reading.png (500x800, 289K)

It's been weeks, yet you still haven't tried the epub yet?

I have not and will not. I own a physical copy of the book and read it not to long ago so I'm only reading some few pages to refresh my memory this month.

None, right now.
Lord of Light. If dubs I read Hyperion first.
Perhaps the Stars
Winds of Winter qeq
The forth Latro book double kek

The First Law #3

The first spin off book

The new trilogy

Forever Free, and I don't know what the fuck I've been reading. So some of the vets from The Forever War steal a FTL ship so they can speed up time on Earth, because they're fed up of living there. Now they're talking to a shapeshifting John Wayne at Disneyworld? There's like 15 pages left so who the fuck knows how this'll wrap up.

Attached: Joe-Haldeman-The-Forever-War-Peace-And-War-Omnibus-part-1.jpg (500x500, 92K)

>imager series
>more of the imager series
>waiting to see what comes out next month because fuckall did in feb

The 3rd volume of the collected short stories on PKD
Don't have anything lined up for after this, maybe vol. 4
I've been eyeing a first edition of Dangerous Visions in eBay that I'm waiting to dip in price before pulling the trigger on.

Is it possible for PKD to describe a woman without also mentioning her tits?

rendezvou with rama
what are some interesting novels about bizarre aliens, preferably intelligent? i just finished reading blindsight by peter watts and im craving something even a bit similar. aliens/creatures that are not bipedal or basically green humans.
not finished with rendezvou with rama yet, and while its a interesting and fun book so far its not really scratching that itch

Reaper's Gale has been pretty gotdamn good so far. I'm somewhere in Part 3. Erikson is a great writer.

Attached: Cosmere.jpg (537x540, 55K)

Are there any notable philosophers in sff? Not just characters discussing philosophy, but "professional" philosophers like Aristotle or Judith Butler.

Attached: wisdom.png (578x213, 80K)

> what sff books are you reading
Ringworld series. Last time I read these was as a really young kid. I'd forgotten how much (bad) sex was in it and hadn't realised that Niven isn't that good of a writer.

>notable philosophers
L. Ron. Hubbert.
His musings inspired the one true religion.

Not a full-length novel, but check out Swarm by Bruce Sterling.

I meant philosopher characters, not authors.

>philosopher characters
basically non-existent in western works. try eastern or better yet middle eastern works. most isnt in sff though. there is a lot of autobiographies and retellings of actual philosphers. similar to the asian saga book about that sailor.

thanks ill check it out. sounds like what im looking for

Just finished Lud in the Mist (and before that Thomas the Rhymer and Lords and Ladies). Currently reading Suldrun's Garden and The Fifth Head of Cerebrus

Spinning Silver

pastebin.com/N2PSdAiS

I want to wipe my memory of Conan, Elric and Kane and then read Conan and Kane for the first time :'(

Attached: frazetta-conantheusurper-1967.jpg (861x1028, 183K)

I'm almost done with The Fall of Hyperion
The Fifth Head of Cerberus
I guess the new Philip Pullman book

>I want to wipe my memory of Conan, Elric and Kane and then pretend I never read Conan and Kane :'(
ftfy

So we will be getting a Will Wight and William D Arand book on March the 1st. Who else?

Lads i am about to read through the entirety of GOR.
Just so i can say that i read it. May Birdboi grant me the strength to read it all without going mad.

Im reading Conan for the first time right now :).

God, the second liveship book was an incredible slog.

I need something to read where the characters are actually likable and enjoyable. any recs /sffg/?

the second half is so good

>Graduated manga cum laude
>Best seller
>Meanwhile all you have is a shitty 3k word rough draft of shit no one will ever read let alone get published

IT'S NOT FAIR

Attached: sarah_j_maas_hi_res.jpg (1487x1800, 1.44M)

my draft of my first novel is >80k words long and I'm already 5k into my second.

I just hope my second can come out as good as I need it to be

Attached: a0e.png (370x370, 152K)

Jennifer Government is fucking boring so far. I don't know how you make a book about hyper-capitalist America that starts off with a mass shooting to drive up sneaker sales and make it dull as shit.

Just finished this, loved it. I’m reading about the different versions though and how they’re different and abridged, etc. Mine appears to be from 1976 and has pic related as the cover. What did I miss?

finished what?

Attached: davidseagullwallace.jpg (529x692, 108K)

>What did I miss?
The pic

Lol my mistake

Attached: 5FE81E88-7390-4912-82A6-16268AFBF847.png (260x433, 57K)

I can't handle how every character starts crying like babies at even the mere mention of a song in this book. Am I supposed to practice my suspension of disbelief here? It's hard.
Also the entire half of the book about quoth becoming some super sex god and sword master whoa so epic holy shit how did this even get published?

Attached: kingkiller-covers-name-wind[1].jpg (1440x1090, 195K)

any decent space opera come out in like the past 5 years?

Renegade by Joel Shepherd

Vox Day

Anything by wil wight

I'll second this. Series is good, it gets advertised as military science fiction but it's really more of a regular space opera adventure series where everybody just happens to also be in the military.

I want to read books set in a large vibrant world. With at least a couple of characters that I get to know well that isn’t brainlets or cucked. Is that too much to ask?

Been reading Miles Cameron have we?

Here are the last 5 books I read and liked, can i get a recommendation for what next? I already have dune messaiah in the stack, but would like to take a short break from dune series
>dune
>Dantes Inferno
>The Mote In Gods Eye
>Time out of Joint
>Cats Cradle

Attached: Screenshot_20190201-141438_Bumble.jpg (1055x1908, 777K)

has he explained the philosophy behind watching his girlfriend get fucked by Algerians yet?

blog.aboutamazon.com/books-and-authors/video-games-you-can-read
>"I always dreamed about being an author"
>the classic pretentious author shot of the author hunched over his computer typing while speaking aloud
>"I could feel my mana bar slowly draining"
>"I do a genre called LitRPG"
>"I gave up being a doctor for this"

Surprise surprise, a right win nut job is what he calls everyone else.

>/sffg/ lay in silence, and it was a silence of three parts.

Story?

The Highwayman
The Distance by Jeremy Robinson
The Best of R. A. Lafferty

Attached: 81ja3Y5pCZL.jpg (1275x2129, 330K)

what do you like about the series?

Hello, birdboi here. Does questions have anyone ask?

Attached: 1514838551287.jpg (640x478, 28K)

guys I just like writing characters who are inevitably going to have their aspirations crushed repeatedly until they become bitter shells of themselves

How cute are the girl birds? Do they have cloacae? Are the species in your setting arranged in monocultures or are there cultural divides based on geography, ideology, and so on? What are any cultures you have written out like? Are any direct expies of real world cultures or at least based off of them? Do you have characters planned? What are they like? Have you started writing?

Why?

These questions will take a long time to answer. I apologize but I may answer them one at a time.

fraud

>he removes thr reminder
i like the former slave more

stop self inserting

Is earthsea worth reading?

Also, the more I write this story the less confident I get in my ability to write it. I'm only 6k words in and already cringing

eh, the entire subplot after Kvoth takes a break from the university is kind of shitty. I ignored it at the time but it pisses me off that he just glosses over the part where he gets attacked by pirates and then shipwrecked. That's the story we should have been reading

>How cute are the girl birds?
I do not know, that would be for you to judge. They at the very least are not humanly attractive. I will describe the Vulkur here so you may judge for yourself.

The range anywhere from 100 to 180cm in height, this is however due to their stature which is mostly bent over. If they were to draw themselves to their full height this would add another 10cm or so to their height. They weigh far less than an equivalently sized human, anywhere from 15 to 50 kilograms. This large range in height is due in part to how bird growth hormones are regulated. I consulted a friend on this to obtain information on avian aging processes and growing processes.

Vulkur, due to their subgroup of bird's long term flightlessness lack flight feather on most of their body, retaining it only on their arms in females, and also as a crest atop their head and neck in males (which only develops when they reach sexual maturity). Most of their body is covered in light down. Depending on the region this down can range in a large variety of colors from whites to pale reds and browns. Vulkur hands are based off of bird wing anatomy. They only have three fingers. Unlike human hands where only the thumb can reach across the palm in Vulkur both the thumb and first finger can, making a small gripping hand. The other finger is extended and topped with a large hooked talon.

Vulkur beaks are tall and slanted. They form a large curve going down (pic related), and beneath that on their neck they have flaps of extra skin. In sexually mature males this will turn bright purples, but otherwise it will remain red or blueish. Vulkur necks are generally two tone, with the skin on their head being a much darker tone than the skin on the bottom half of their neck. Vulkur necks are also fairly bulbous. Vulkur legs are long for their body, and solid. Their feet are webbed with four toes, each with a fairly large talon. Their legs are covered with rough skin similar to that of other birds.

>Do they have cloacae?
They would, yes.

Attached: 1005px-Dromornis_stirtoni.jpg (1005x899, 81K)

>This large range in height is due in part to how bird growth hormones are regulated.
Can you elaborate on this a little? 100-180cm is a huge amount of variance.

Whos that cum bucket?

>Are the species in your setting arranged in monocultures or are there cultural divides based on geography, ideology, and so on?
No they are not. I arrange species in ways I think they would arrange themselves realistically, with cultural drift occurring.

I have mapped parts of the following:
>linguistic drift
>religious drift
>governmental drift

Basically I group religions into evolving families. Each species sort of has a base cultural fear that their religion stems from. The Osinic humans have a primal fear and respect for mouths and maws, and have a base belief in a singular deity. Pelkori religion is based in the concept that ultimately the gods are cruel and actively hurt the Pelkori for their amusement. Vulkur vase religious concept is a flow of ancestry from We Were -> We Are -> We Will Be. I can explain the main points where these religions schism.

In much the same way governmental drift comes from base concepts laid down in the past. As an example many Vulkur governments essentially ape a system lain down in their classical societies. This system exalts only two branches of government, one who both creates and interprets the laws and another who executes them. Their government styles evolve from philosophical musing on their base concept.

>What are any cultures you have written out like?
I have a fair few I could talk about. Eastern Orthodox Osini culture, Western Tyvuru Osini Culture, The Scour Producing Nations (Vuha, Yakha, Jankaha, and Unvu). Ask and I can explain further, but there is a lot to cover.

So bird growth hormones are a lot different than mammalian ones, this is because that the production of growth hormones in birds is MUCH more closely tied to how much food they get. The same is true in mammals but to a small extreme.

This will cause the birth of a well fed, larger, and ultimately far healthier upper class and a growth stunted lower class. Because the Vulkur are entering a time of industry there are essentially factory working Vulkur runts.

>Are any direct expies of real world cultures or at least based off of them?
I can more easily draw certain aspects of events. The main conflict of the first book is a war that culturally mirrors the Opium Wars, leading into a conflict that strongly mirrors the rise of Napoleon. This does not mean the nation that started the Opium-like war is very similar to Britian or the one where the Napoleon figure rises is similar to France.

>Do you have characters planned? What are they like?
I have both them and a good portion of their early arcs planned. The best description I can have for them is bad people. None of them are that redeemable. Some of them are bad because of the situation they find themselves in. Some are lashing out at the world for perceived wrongs. Others are just entitled.

>Have you started writing?
Yes I have.

I'd like an explanation of those religions, they seem neat.
>Because the Vulkur are entering a time of industry there are essentially factory working Vulkur runts.
Alright, that was a very good explanation.
>I can more easily draw certain aspects of events
That's very smart.

duno

>birdboi actually has something of substance
I'm surprised.

>I'd like an explanation of those religions, they seem neat.
The basis of Vulkur spirituality is a combination of ancestral worship and non-deific philosophy similar to Buddhism with strong themes of self perfection. Most of the main Vulkur religious practices are some combination or variation on these ideas.

Their main concept centers around these three phrases:
>"We That Were"
>"We That Are"
>"We That Will Be"

They have an overarching cultural obsession with their origins and brought around that with physically emulates them. As a species they revere their primitive equivalents. Think of it as if humans brought Chimps and Bonobos with them as they spread across the world. They reverse these as they believe that they were once the We That Are and sacrificed to create current Vulkur, their We That Will Be. Then it is the duty of the current Vulkur to continue this trend and become the We That Will Be.

This entire philosophy essentially discounts non-Vulkur has not having any form of philosophical or relevance, or in cases of extreme sects non-Vulkur sapient races are a universal threat to the Vulkur as they represent a different passage along the Were->Are->Will Be line that infringes on the Vulkur's.

There is another idea separate from this, the "We That Are Not". Essentially the idea of other possible scenarios for the future if other choices had been made. It is fashionable for affluent Vulkur families to essentially have alternate history fanfiction written for their families. So they sideworship versions of themselves that could have been, or at least revere them.

Depending on the fashion of the times how you write these fanfictions change, but writing your enemies to be doing better in these stories basically implies they made poor decisions in the real timeline and could have done better, while writing yourself as an underdog with less than you have implies you did the best possible, if that makes sense.

The main points the religion schisms around are how the religion should deal with non-Vulkur. These vary from servitude, to extermination, to coexistence. Also there are some more minor schisms around the treatment of We Were and who counts as We Were.

On the main human subcontinent the religions of humanity are derived from the Osini Faith. The Osini faith has fractured into many parts. The Osini Faith derives its concept of god from a being known as Osi, meaning "It Breaths". This being is a beast of a million mouths and a million voices, which spoke the world into being.

What needs to be understood about the Osini faiths is that in the majority of main Osinic religions is that the concept of "Preacher as Shepherd" does not exist. Instead all priests are theologians whose purpose it is to interpret and understand the faith. This comes before informing others of the faith and tending to your faithful. This coincides with the Osi in that all priests strive to understand the many mouths of their god and to Speak in The Mouths & The Voices.

The main points of fracture for the Osini religions are around a few concepts of their god and a few different interpretations of their god. These different understandings are the following:
>Their god is aware of its creation
>Their god wishes to be involved in its creation
>Their god is Benevolent or Malevolent

This forms a sort of three axis system where you can fall into one of eight categories, plus a few extra categories if you choose one of these distinctions does not matter. Orthodox Osini is defined by a Osi who is unaware of his creation, wishes to not be involved, and is malevolent. Western Tyvuru is defined as the god is unaware of his creation, wishes to be involved, and is benevolent.

Other schisms go off of this in several directions to their understanding of Osi. For most of these there are also ideas that Osi himself is of so many aspects that he can embody multiple states at once, and for mainstay Orthodox Osini he is both malevolent and benevolent, a sort of mad god.

Is there anything else you would like to know? I am compiling a lot of my notes to try to make a wiki.

You can't hold back on the hyperbolic diatribe because there's not enough gender equalities, huh?

But are the birdgirls sexy?

Are you asking about characters or writers?

You know that there's a total of 34 Gor books and that they're still being published, right?

It does get pretty weird. Bear in mind the time between forever war and forever free. I preferred the worlds trilogy, but forever war is bad ass.

He already described them and posted a picture of an extinct bird that resembles them in some ways. I'd fuck one.

What did you do when researching religion? Religion is a big part of a world that I'm doing a little work on, and I don't have that much knowledge of them.

The Earthsea quartet is absolutely worth reading. Probably one of my first fantasy books alongside LOTR

Unironically BotNS.

Forever war sucks dick

> aliens/creatures that are not bipedal or basically green humans.

You might enjoy the Uplift series by David Brin.

There are six books in all. The basic premise of this universe is that all alien civilisations fit neatly in a strict hierarchy. Alien races can 'uplift' potentially sapient species they find on other planets. By uplifting them (gene modification) these species become indentured to the alien race that uplifted them for a set amount of time (many generations if I recall correctly).

Of all sapient alien races it is known who uplifted them, and which species they in turn have uplifted. When a species is encountered that has gained sapience without outside help, it is considered an orphan species, and is gracefully adopted (and enslaved) by the alien race that finds them.

Humans are (obviously) an orphan race, but by time aliens find us, we have unwittingly uplifted two species ourselves: chimpanzees and dolphins. That makes humans a 'wolfling race' that by intergalactic law cannot be enslaved by another race. This has made a lot of warfaring alien races, very, very cross.

That's the basic premise. From thereon out you get intergalactic politics, assassination plots, war, and dolphins in space.

The last three books in particular focus on weird alien races including four races that feature, respectively, five arms (think starfish), two wheels, stacks of rings, and centauroids.

I've enjoyed the whole series, in part because of the outlandish aliens featured. The contents of the six books vary quite a bit in terms of the stories told; some people dislike the disjointed narrative (although a larger arc spans all six books), while some enjoy the fresh perspectives. I would advise anyone interested to try the first two books, and judge from there.

Attached: dolphin-in-space.jpg (1000x1221, 789K)

forever war is great

Characters.

Have you read the other Vonneguts?

So you think sucking dick is great, huh?

Do the bird slavers sexually assault human slaves?

Its overhyped garbage

They peck out their eyes and lay eggs inside the empty sockets, if that counts.

Where do I start Heinlein?

Attached: 14732780983790.jpg (820x820, 220K)

You don't. It's dated garbage.

I wish we could get some modern S&S/horror kino like we did with Kane.

Then suggest some gud sf action-packed standalone. I'm sick of unending series of 5+ books.

Starship Troopers

Or The Moon is a Harsh Mistress.

Thanks. Will pick "The Moon..." up.

I was planning on grabbing it soon too. Starship Troopers is really good though and if you're dedicated, you can probably get through it in a weekend.

Hello there. This is my first time crossing into this board, so hopefully I don't fuck up. I really enjoy reading sci-fi and fantasy. Right now I am reading The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley and have found it to be very enjoyable thus far, with an interesting setting and characters that are both amusing and engaging. The female characters might need a little work but, I am told he improves in the next couple of books. Valyn's perspective is very enjoyable to read so far and I hope that continues. When I'm done, I hope to move onto The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. I've heard good things. I'm also a big fan of Brian Sanderson's work (Mistborn Era I is way better than Era II, fight me). I finished up Hyperion a little while ago and thought it was good enough. Some stories dragged a little and the Priest and the Consul had the best stories in my opinion. The ending was confusing but also somewhat endearing. I don't think I have the endurance to read Fall of Hyperion as I've heard the series takes a nose dive at that point.

My main question, and the reason I ventured to this board to bother you, was to ask if anyone is aware of any fantasy books wherein dragons play a large part as main characters. It seems odd to even have to ask such a thing but, I can't seem to come across that are any good. I read Eragorn when I was younger and (wrongly) enjoyed it, and now I find myself craving something similar. Are there many other stories out there that have dragons conversing with main characters and spend a fair amount of time in the limelight?

Thanks for your time.

Attached: 1538124641943.jpg (730x1095, 104K)

Is this series even better than Throne of Glass?

Attached: 38619.jpg (294x475, 98K)

Temeraire,

I did hate the series after the first book though, but if you liked Eragon this is Shakespeare compared to it.

I admittedly hadn't read very much before Eragorn and while I certainly enjoyed it at the time, I now look back at it with a little befuddlement. That being said, it helped win me over since the main dragon in the series was female, which felt like a breath of fresh air since almost all dragons I've seen portrayed in media are male.

So bonus points for female dragons. Not because of equality or anything like that, I'm just a degenerate.

Looking for a good sci-fi read.
Got Metro 2033 and Roadside picnic but now I'm looking fore something more about "Daring adventures in Space"

Attached: 1498894200355.jpg (2122x1415, 2.03M)

Dragon Knight Series by Gordon Dickson
Tea with the Black Dragon
The Iron Dragon's Daughter
The Dragonriders Of Pern
Dragonsbane by Barbara Hambly (don't read the sequels,the first book is stand alone and the sequels are shit)
And a shit ton of Dragonlance books has them as the main antagonist

>want to read about 3 hot triplets trying to kill eachother (preferably in a pool of oil)
>instead read about 1 and a half hot triplets teaming up against the system (With no pool of oil in sight)
Is this the new Throne of Glass?

Attached: 9780062385444_p0_v2_s550x406.jpg (269x406, 14K)

Sick, thank you for the suggestions, friend.

I replaced every instance of the word "rogga" with "nigga", now I get it

Tiddies :)

I'm always torn on Erikson. On one hand I know that he's CAPABLE of writing very, very good stories, on the other hand his style of storytelling and worldbuilding is autistic and frustrating.

It annoys me to no end that I had to slog through Gardens of the Moon to get to read Deadhouse Gates. And in Deadhouse Gates I had to slog through every chapter that wasn't about Coltaine's Chain of Dogs, which was by far the best thing he's ever written. Each of these stories could just have been different books with tight focuses and fun, engaging plotlines, they didn't even intersect that often. What the guy needs is someone to slap him periodically and remind him to write parallel works.

My only contact with GOR is the MST3K episode of Outlaw of Gor

That world seems to have some issues with women

The creepiest thing about Gor is that it's a series written for women. I ran in literary circles for a while and the only people I ever talked to who knew about and liked it were sort of middle aged women who had a weird fetish thing going for it.

It was sort of like the esoteric fantasy version of 50 Shades of Grey back in the day. The writing is fucking agonizingly formulaic, though. It's actually sort of rage inducing to read because you cannot help but feel like a cuckold just reading it, these fucking weird Gorians are kidnapping Earth women and just raping them over and over, every time an Earth man appears he gets BTFO'd.

Can you sum the setting up for me as loosely as you can? Is it worth getting into at all or, like you said, is it just like reading cuckold porn?

its not cuckoold porn. basically the setting is there is the world of gor and their inhabitants goreans.
women are little more that doormats in that world.
they are passed around, raped and killed on the whims of men until they like it. which most of the women do.

Attached: 1541976054691.jpg (400x400, 30K)

It's not cuckold porn. Basically the setting is the world of Gor and their inhabitants are Goreans. Women are little more than doormats in that world. They are passed around, raped, and killed at the whims of men until they like it — which most of the women do.

It's sort of a matter of perspective, because it's this essentially premodern society of super-strong guys who value earth women as slaves, and who generally treat women like cattle.

I say it FEELS like cuckold porn because these aren't men from earth, they kidnap women and "break" them like something out of a Hentai. It's got a lot of the "savage steals civilized girl and then rapes her until she likes it" vibe going.

Does any of the books have hot milfs?

is Alastair Reynolds good?

Don't know.
Colleen McCullough is good though, try her.

Attached: 1549497271241.jpg (760x330, 139K)

Based bird fucker.

>Right now I am reading The Emperor's Blades by Brian Stavele
Fuck Adare.

>any fantasy books wherein dragons play a large part as main characters
Iron Dragon's Daughter
Blue Mage raised by Dragons
Dragon Safari by Anthony Ryan.

Attached: 1502258882394.jpg (1000x4240, 1.27M)

>"Daring adventures in Space"
Hull Zero 3

One week left /sffg/

What upcoming books are you looking forward to?

Attached: 2019291921.jpg (160x240, 13K)

>new traveler's trilogy fucking no time soon

Attached: constipated black man.png (459x377, 9K)

I'm a Cosmerefag so I'm eagerly awaiting the next Stormlight Archive book. Beyond that, there's nothing new on my horizon. I've only really discovered the joy of reading recently and audiobooks have helped me out when I go on a long drive or walk. I'm one of those people that find it hard to enjoy a book if doesn't have some sci-fi or fantasy twist to it, its just more fun for me that way and I like the creativity that is often involved. I most likely have shit taste but, I am okay with that at the moment.

Thanks for the suggestions, friend. I'm honestly surprised at the seemingly small number of books about friendly dragons. You'd think someone would have inverted the trope by now and had a character fuck one or something.

Also I agree, fuck Adare.

>new traveler's trilogy
The series is done.

>The Traveler's Gate trilogy is complete and available now, but the sequel trilogy (the Traveler's Blade trilogy) will come at some point after The Elder Empire is finished.
i'll take that apology now, friend.

how come blindsight has got its own category? i just finished reading that several days ago. thought it was pretty neat though the vampire thing felt a little out of place

I personally can't stand him, though a lot of people seem to like him
I've tried 2 of his books and each time I quit after the first chapter because I couldn't stand his writing style

>Can you sum the setting up for me as loosely as you can?

In order to understand Gor, you need to understand the John Carter of Mars/Barsoom books. Pic related. The Barsoom books are "sword and planet" tales about badass characters kicking ass and taking names, which might sound boring, but the real selling point of the stories beyond the simple power fantasy was the setting. Savage warfare waged against weird aliens with fantastic machines across a harsh, desolate landscape where ancient ruins outnumber the fair, walled cities. Yoked men cutting down vile fiends by the score to rescue dusky maidens chained to the walls of rocky cliffs under a distant sun. Also, everyone is naked, because why not.

This was all written in the 1910s-20s, so there was basically zero explicit sexuality. But it didn't take much imagination to see the erotic side of Barsoom's romance. Supposedly the setting was popular for erotic fanfic, although I haven't seen any examples firsthand -- keep in mind this would have been people furtively trading mimeographed pages, a niche of a niche of a niche. But it was there.

Once the 60s rolled around, you could make this subtext explicit and get published. The first six or seven Gor novels are supposedly pretty much Barsoom sword-and-planet books with a more frank attitude towards sexuality. Eventually that aspect took over -- anyone sticking with the series that long was in it for the smut, and John Norman has spent decades giving them what they want.

Attached: Image+(8)[1].jpg (1424x1600, 982K)

>the elder empire ever being finished

Big laff

It's an editied meme one. I'm shitposting from work, so I grabbed the one on the archives. Forgot someone meme edited it.

I'm sure the death clan guy will come back from the ghost water void in the next book.
>look at me, I'm the captain now

>You'd think someone would have inverted the trope by now and had a character fuck one or something.
That happened. But I can't remember the book.

Dragons is a tired trope. I personally hate books with dragons, because autist authors like to use it as an end all. They go somewhere and a dragon shows up, and the way a lot of these authors portray them it sickens me with their pretentiousness. I guess it's a fall back from lotr. They try to give them this majesty but fail. It's just a big lizard.
Blue mage raised by dragons was the first dragon book i enjoyed.

>the sequel trilogy (the Traveler's Blade trilogy
????
>the Elder Empire is finished.
????

Attached: 5375-63116-original.jpg (1600x900, 101K)

Thats what bothers me a lot too, hence why I'm in search of any sort of book that doesn't have them pinned as the usual villain.

>That happened. But I can't remember the book.
Don't hold out on me here, man. Unless it's that bullshit where the dragon turns into a human, that stuff is weak sauce.

Any mil-sf nut around? I've been reading way too much fantasy and feel like I should balance out. Something longer is better but not necessary. I don't tend to like non-stop action, but too much politicking is also a turn off, what I really like is adventure. I like surviving in the wild, first contact, colonization, mega-structures, first contact, no artificial gravity ships, waifus, and of course good characters. Of course I'll read anything else if you think it's good, though.

I've read:
The lost fleet (too much action, the prose was painful and the characters were bland)
Old Man's War (despite scalzi,not that bad, actually)
The Undying Mercenaries (too much action)
War Eternal (boring)
Dread Empire's Fall (not bad, but the main grill was a bit annoying)

I'll check this out as well.

Why is she a barbie doll? Lame

Nice Dragons Finish Last, fun and innocuous.

There's sex in it? I don't remember. Can you post an excerpt?

Start with his short stories and 'juveniles'. 'Red Planet' is awesome, as is 'Magic Inc.' and 'Have Spacesuit, Will Travel'.

I also second the other two Bobfags--both 'Mistress' and 'Troopers' are great. 'Stranger in a Strange Land' is cool too, but a bit weird.

>human-form

eh...

Oh, yeah, sorry, I forgot to warn you: It is a female writer. Now it makes sense, eh?

I'm not holding out on you. I never read it. It's an old book that regularly memed by the guy. It's some silver dragon that implied gives the gril the bad dragon.jpg

I still can't believe it's over.

Attached: throne-of-glass-series-banner.jpg (743x288, 111K)

Do you guys keep a digital journal? Just daily entry kind of thing. If so what program do you use? I don't want to end up with an old file-type that I can't open down the line. Is there a good Word template for it?

Attached: 1545296637023.png (512x512, 263K)

I am sure it would happen occasionally, but these occurences would be seen as extremely unusual and perverse. Vulkur and Humans do not have very compatible standards of beauty or sexuality culture. Also the Vulkur religion teaches the Vulkur to in many ways despise other races as unclean.

I posted a description of them above, that is for you to decide.

I studied a lot of early christian schisms. A lot of schisms that occurred in the early christian church were centered around the understanding of the trinity and the relation of the members of the trinity. I sort of came up with schism points in a similar manner of where the religion could fracture.

Also one of the things that is very important to understand is that the biggest factor in church schisms is sheer distance. The larger the church the harder for it is to keep together. Also, churches tend to mellow out as the countries that house them become more prosperous.

Way too much sense. I swear, chicks and dragon-shifters go hand in hand. In my quest to find decent dragon books, I've found scores and scores of cheap romance novels with dragons turning into men. Like, bitch, whats the point?

Yeah, but as I said, that one is innocuous. It really isn't bad if you are just looking for a past-time book. Read it like a fantasy/urban fantasy/coming of age story and you are good.

Almost every female character in the series sleeps with Louis. He meets an alien, they need to agree a contract, that means sex.

Isn't there like 2 females in it, though? I only remember the major pain in the ass lucky girl and the alien. It isn't that surprising that he slept with the two of them.

Goodreads

Bad in what way?

Teela - amazing beautiful girl who has to sleep with Louis because luck
Pril - over 1000 year old prostitute alien women who is literally the best sex ever
Various aliens in the sequels who all offer him sex.

You get the feeling if Niven was a new author today he'd be writing harem litrpgs.

Just badly written

>Various aliens in the sequels who all offer him sex.
I haven't read the sequels. Does Pril appear in any other? From what I remember she comes back with them.

That or he'd be posting smut on /tg/, except /tg/ can make good alien smut.

Yeah, I'm glad it's over. Lots of slow buildup that goes nowhere and then the book just ends. Forever War was fucking awesome though. Is Forever Peace worth bothering with?

No. She doesn't last long because plot-hax.

what Kane?

Solid explanation.

Any decent fantasy books that are focused on Navies/the sea. I've been meaning to gain some actual understanding of Naval history (from actual history books) but would like something to spark a greater interest to encourage myself to read more.

I like it.

Attached: Mmm.png (290x156, 30K)

Children of Time's sequel. The first one ended like shit, but perhaps it can be salvaged.

>Navies/the sea
destroyermen

>implying its not

Anything similar to Lost Fleet / Beyond the Frontier?

Preferably with some interactions/discovery of alien species.

>'Stranger in a Strange Land' is cool too, but a bit weird.
Sold. Thanks, bud.

Attached: 1513257986952.jpg (369x604, 50K)

It's boring. How is it weird? Are you a normie?

diet Swan's Song

Attached: .jpg (255x420, 27K)

What's good place to post your amateur story?
Writing in foreign language guarantees a lot of bad grammar, so I'd prefer if the people would be constructive in their feedback

Also, is happy ending a must in amateur stories if you want the feedback to be constructive?

Maybe fictionpress? I dunno.

What you want to find is a beta who will read and edit stuff for you (this is much easier to get if you are writing fanfiction).

I'm the person who seconded Renegade and you'd probably like it.

I'm not too surprised you didn't like Lost Fleet, that's basically a series you only read for the battles. If you liked Old Man's War I'd suggest the two sequels, the second is about black ops soldiers while the third is mostly a colonization novel. The short stories are variable, I like the diplomatic team ones.

I'd suggest David Drake's RCN series. It's essentially a space opera version of the Aubrey-Maturin novels. Protagonists are a brash young captain and a librarian turned spy/hacker, they get into various adventures either in the line of military service or because there's a lull in the war and the captain ends up on half-pay or because the government needs a civilian ship to go retrieve somebody or carry diplomats or whatever.

Drake is more well known for his Hammer's Slammers series which is essentially about armored cavalry in space, and is really more about brutal combat and so on. They're well written but probably not really what you're looking for.

Would also recommend the Aubrey-Maturin novels themselves. They're essentially science fiction novels now that we're so far divorced from he Age of Sail, and are quite entertaining.

I meant Karl E. Wagner's Kane, not Robert E. Howard's Solomon Kane

Solomon Kane is cool too but he's a little too quick to accept help from an ooga-booga shaman despite being an English Puritan

Attached: YoungEisenhorn2.jpg (1000x1374, 177K)

Dragon Slayer by Michael-Scott Earle
The Death Gate Cycle

goodreads.com/review/show/144605737?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

Why are goodreads reviews so fucking cringy?

I guess some people think it's still 1999 and it's still hip and cool to post gifs and images everywhere. Just stay away from them at the first sign of an image or gif.

I'm writing a fun little YA book for myself after years of self-doubt. I just decided to write something I have zero investment in from beginning to end.

About 25k words in after only a month. I'm sure it'll be a bit of a mess when the time comes to edit, but I think I might have something publishable on my hands.

Attached: 1497928387288.png (1172x675, 32K)

>I just decided to write something I have zero investment in from beginning to end.
I'll give you a nice tip if I ever dine where you wait tables, user, so cheer up.

ty my anomynous frend

Attached: 1530316895694.jpg (501x501, 14K)

>YA
What's it about? I hope it has some kind of r*pe, gotta honor us when writing stuff.

Attached: 1508255132712.png (1000x700, 101K)

congrats user!

I've finally picked up writing something I wanted to write for a long time now. I'm not far along, only 6k words, but after three years it's huge progress

Attached: maxresdefault-3.jpg (1280x720, 65K)

>it's still hip and cool to post gifs and images everywhere

correct.

Recommend me some pulp trash with Byronic heroes in them.

Attached: heathcliff.jpg (288x375, 28K)

Vurt
The Stars My Destination

Also, Heinlein is good and not outdated by any means other than contemporary knowledge. This does not detract from writing or conceptualization, and makes for some interesting hindsight observation.

Spergtastic post

Can’t wait for this

Howl from the howl's moving castle series is a good example of a pulp byronic hero

I just finished Words of Radiance and I'm about to start Oathbringer. I don't love the series but a friend made an agreement with me that he'd watch a few movies I wanted him to if he read the books, so I'm going through with it. Parts of Words were pretty good, so I'm hopeful Oathbringer won't be shit, like I felt Way of Kings largely was.

Problem is Edgedancer. I'm too autistic to not read something so closely related to the universe, but I don't want to pay $10 for a book under 300 pages. Is it worth paying for? If not, where can I get a good scan of it?

If horror is allowed here, I'm going to read Doctor Sleep in preparation for the movie this year.
Pic related, the adventures of genocidal R63 Mao Zedong.

Attached: dragon republic cover.jpg (315x475, 36K)

I don't think Edgedancer is necessary. I haven't read it but still enjoyed the Stormlight Archives. Oathbringer is probably the best out of all the novels in the SA so far, so here's hoping you enjoy it.

bump

you guys are mad. way of kings was by far the best. the ending was pure kino. words of radiance wasnt nearly as good because shallan is absolute cringe. the girl in edgedance is cringe as well. i couldnt stand her chapter, its just so bad. kaladin and dalinar are worth it though

Way of Kings was great, I don't deny that, but the amount of secrets that get spilled in Oathbringer and its long ending sequence really one me over. The Diagram, man. That shit is intense.

My problem with Way was mostly the pacing, and the constant repetition. If I heard Kaladin think "OH NO I'M CURSED EVERYONE I LOVE IS DOOMED" one more time, I was going to split my fucking head open.

But really it was 75% pacing, and chapter spacing. I felt Kaladin's parts dominated the book a bit too much, and the decision to ditch Shallan for over 500 pages was just laziness or Sanderson not knowing how to spread her story out. Beyond that, though, there was just too much emphasis on mundane things without movement. I felt serious Wheel of Time syndrome between pages 500 and about 950, where there were things happening but it never really felt like it, and looking back I think most of it could have just been cut, or restructured in a way that could've significantly reduced its pagecount.

The worst thing about Way to me is the irregularity of the pacing, though. It got me going and really into it, then dropped me down to not giving a shit for a hundred or more pages, then sucked me back in for 200 more. If it could've managed to be consistently moderately interesting then have those same 200-page highs, I think it would've been an excellent book. As it is, though, I think Words is a much better product. I don't hate Shallan though (and I don't see how you could but whatever) so maybe that's why.

Besides, Adolin murdering bitchboy Sadeas in cold fucking blood at the end of Words was fucking ace kino.

I think that in a world we’re women vastly outnumber men instead of submissive male sex slaves you’d have a bunch of pimp clans filled with inbred but hot bikini clad women warriors competing for seed.
Still a good book though.

Pic related

Attached: BCFB4148-21CC-4366-B8CA-709CBC13C5A6.jpg (290x475, 50K)

This was pretty heavy going and nothing like the African ASOIAF it was billed as. Closer to an African Book of the New Sun.

Attached: marlo.jpg (312x475, 58K)

I remember the premise of a book, but not the title. It was written to show how certain scifi writers overuse technical jargon to just hide their inability to write anything "interesting". The premise of the book was this
Humans invading a "new world" filled with barbarians. They win because they have superior technology. The twist at the end is that the new world was literally the americas, and the superior tech was basic gunpowder.

More like book of the poo sun

>reading
The Paths of the Perambulator by Alan Dean Foster (spellsinger series)
>next
Garth Nix's Old Kingdom books
>waiting on
Thorn of Emberlain

When will the kino fags bbbzzz off back to Yea Forums to bask with their cunnies.

Never, we own this now, get used it.

lmao

goodreads.com/review/show/2725140484?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

Foid is triggered because a YA book set during Kosovo in the 90s. (It paints Muslims in a bad light)

Based Abercrombie is revolutionizing the genre

How can other authors even compete?

Attached: zmcp0x8ia6i21.png (1125x2001, 233K)

Holy shit, she's mad.

Of course a shit writer like cole will think Abercrombie is good.
I'm still mad cole fucked up his trilogy. The guy with the power snatching abilities should have been the protagonist. Not the portal guy.

Attached: Avoid All Of These.png (948x1244, 1.74M)

>Avoid
>The Lies of Locke Lamorra

Hey, what gives? And whats wrong with The Blade Itself? Is this just a list of "It's popular and I'm mad"?

Can anybody recommend me fantasy novels with similar tone to Dark Souls?

Locke Lamora turns into the author writing about his wife cheating on him and leaving him. Also they cooled down on the heists.

First law trilogy
Was a slog. Only redeeming character is Gloktha.

Attached: Sffg memes.jpg (2544x1900, 1.34M)

Is there anything new out there that's worth reading?

What are some books that are similar in tone to Bionicle?

Attached: 1525247071000.jpg (1194x669, 100K)

Toys that self replicate with technology?

Something starts off as a tribal fantasy setting then quickly escalates into sci-fi giant robots from other planets territory.

The first novel of this is probably the best thing I've read recently. The Poppy War blurb may make it sound like just another poor hero goes to magic school story but it turns into something very different.

Like TTGL?

I guess. I was just shitposting.

Meet gods, slay gods, meet Buddha’s, slay Buddha’s....

5 more days for will wight and William D Arand.

Attached: 1545524271379.jpg (2000x3000, 1.36M)

fuck me I think I'm going to be sick just looking at that image

If the books were any good they would have spent more on covers, and got real publisher

Didn't Arand release Fostering Faust 2 just a month ago? What's upcoming for him?

> ebil japanese
> ancient mysticism the key to resisting imperialists
>muh young strong female thief protagonist

Hard pass. Poor little chink can cry about nanking on their own time

williamdarand.fandom.com/wiki/Writing_Calendar

Up next is his new urban fantasy series

Thanks. He seems to be starting a bunch of new series, I guess they'll all be part of his shared universe.

Hey lit.

Attached: 1490218193645.png (843x699, 197K)

Thanks for this. I guess they get info directly from his patreon.
William D Arand is the author we need. Since he has gone full time he is popping out a book a month it seems. While E William Brown put out one book in 6 years, and the book was a subpar one at that.

Planned publication dates
>Dungeon Deposed 2 March 1, 2019
>Remnant April 1, 2019
>Swing Shift May 1, 2019
>Fostering Faust 3 June 1, 2019
My body is ready.

>While E William Brown put out one book in 6 years, and the book was a subpar one at that.
I just hope this space loli thing flops hard enough that he has to start releasing Daniel Black books at Arand's pace.

Attached: 40618891.jpg (309x475, 165K)

There's that dumpster fire of a list again. Serious question user, why haven't you necked yourself yet?

>no cute girls in thread
i have to fix that

Attached: FB_IMG_1550937255260.jpg (1080x1349, 71K)

>no Stola

Nope. This is completely un-edgy, by-the-books fantasy adventure where some teenage girl ends up in a world she isn't accustomed to.

I have so many serious projects that my self doubt won't let me work on. This is an attempt at making a quick buck and bolstering my professional resume by saying "Hey, I published a book."

I think it might. I think the reason it got the rush was because the cover is a Japanese loli, the book is about a Japanese loli, and the loli was handling huge weapons (literal anime). But at the end of the book it felt like the series dropped off. I kinda lost interest at the end.

>reading a lazy ass author who likes to repeat words as much as possible to fill word count

Because I want your mum's fat ass on my dick. Fat ass milky milfs are my fetish.

How big do you think his penis is?

It has almost twice as many reviews as any of his other books on amazon, and I think some user said Brown claimed that it made him more money than any DB book. I guess we can just hope for the best.

>Daniel Black books
I don't understand this. See, I'm a literary novice. I'm not well-versed in the names of great authors but, I think I can tell a decent story from a shit one. Why the hell does anyone enjoy this guys work? It's trite. It's pigshit on paper. Why not just go to fanfiction.com or something?

I feel like I'm insane because I can't comprehend why anyone would enjoy this kind of thing or grasp how it has so many 5 star ratings.

But it was the DB books that put him on the map for others to leave so many reviews on loli princess marine.

>I'm a literary novice
It's because you don't read. I've read over a thousand books, and when you see the same shit every time in different containers it get tiring. It doesn't help that they try to inflate the shit's mass with corn and nuts.
Daniel black has it's faults (i rate it 3/5 stars) but it's entertaining, and a breath of fresh air. When you read the same recycled shit you will look for something new. Daniel Black is entertaining, pure and simple.

I just like escapist power fantasies with harems. Feel free to recommend better books that satisfy my desires.

Yoon Ha Lee's Machineries of Empire books are pretty good.

John Norman's Gor books should be up your street.

I've been reading these on and off since last summer. I am really digging them, I reckon other people here would like them (particularly fantasy heads, even though it is sci-fi). Maybe not the best lit or hardest sci-fi in the world but it hits a lot of sweet spots. Anyone else familliar with these books?

Attached: y0Wm1h4.jpg (800x321, 145K)

How would you describe it?

is dune movie by villeneuve based on only the 1st book or the whole series?

Well, the basic plot revolves around people stuck in a huge VR simulation, so if you like world building there's a lot of that. There is a lot of inter textual stuff (some of the VR sims are based on specific real world fiction, War of The Worlds, Alice in Wonderland) or mythology. There's a big meta theme about story telling and how we relate to each other through narrative. That's all within a fairly accessible "save the world" action-adventure story with a massive international scope and cast. And it has some cool action sequences. I'm towards the end of the third book of 4 so I don't know how well all the disparate elements come together or central mysteries pay off and I reckon my over all impression is going to be dictated by that to some extent but I'm enjoying the ride so far.

>gor
>better than anything
Thanks for the laugh.

Yep, I've read them. I found they could drag in places, but overall it's a great series. It has some great twists in it. Overall it follows the typical Tad Williams pattern of very long, gradual build up and then everything being resolved in a huge climactic rush.

Williams normally writes fantasy (which you probably can tell), and another series by him that I really like is Shadowmarch.

The first book, thank god.

So I listened to Songs of Distant Earth in traffic last week.

Is all Arthur C. Clarke's stuff this gay?

That image is one autistic guy's opinion, but even a broken clock is right twice a day with Blade Itself. It's not a terrible series. I've read way worse writing, but the plot is a mess and the setting is incredibly lazy and barely thought out. Abercrombie is good at writing characters, I was impressed with Glokta mostly, but I think he had a deft hand with all of them, except the northmen, but the northmen were most of the problems in the series distilled into a single small group of characters.

>Fell for sffgs dino memes

Falling for dinos?

Attached: 1491284622284.png (2000x1500, 1.65M)

I will never be able to bring myself to read Abercrombie after the Slicker Gutwruck review.

Dinogang rise up

Attached: Dino Squad.jpg (950x534, 92K)

>Fat ass milky milfs are my fetish
Books for this feel?
It's based on the porn game

>It's based on the porn game
How do I get the shower scene?

We finally meet my brethren.

Attached: dfslul.png (1080x1599, 1.01M)

should I read the book or watch the show?

Attached: jsmn.jpg (288x499, 29K)

In the briefing room in the palace (the one with the holograms) there's a room to the left,you have click on the red light above that door.

Thanks fampai

Hello Crude Oil.

Attached: Dinosaurs.jpg (2437x1047, 768K)

One of those answers mean you stay here, the other means you go back to It's up to you.

Holy shit, I just came across this and its golden. Are Abercrombie's books really that bad or is this just a clever and entertaining review?

that place is a shithole tho

That movie with James Purefoy? Pretty excellent tebehe.

"They are bad". I reply while wiping a baby's blood from my knife on the mother's cloak.
"Abercrombie is just edgy trash". He quips, while stabbing himself in the hand and not even registering it because he is so tough.

Then read the fucking book. Why are you asking the fucking literature board if you should watch tv?

Tep kok

What do people always say when a piece of literature is adapted to TV or film?

What's that one phrase everyone says that makes them sound like smug, elitist fucks when the reality is they're just trying to convey that the story was told better in its original format?

Whats that sentence people spout when they walk out of the Harry Potter films, the Lord of the Rings films, any god damn film about a book?

There's your answer.

So, compatriots, I’m curious what the general opinion is on birdboi. After reading his ideas and world concepts he posts it all seems very interesting and a lot higher effort than the majority of schlock that gets pumped out now a days. Musings on government/religion/language drift are a lot more interesting than most which just copy the real world and file off the names.

Does birdboi remind you of anyone because he gives me Herbert vibes, he has a similar brand of autism.

because I asked a similar question regarding the expanse and was told neither, so now I want to know about this, jeez

A 30-year-old NEET is reincarnated into the body of an otaku that choked to death on instant noodles. As he comes to grips with his new life, he realizes that this world is subtly different from Earth. The denizens of this world are far better looking, and this new world also possesses futuristic technology as well as mysterious Yin Yang masters!

Consider publishing it under a pseudonym then. You don't want to have that crap haunting you forever.

Is Donaldson worth reading, gents? I'm coming to the end of LOTR for the first time, so my fantasy knowledge is quite limited. I only know that I've a penchant for grimdark stuff such as Martin and Bakker.

I've heard Lord Foul's Bane is exceptionally dark fantasy for its time. Is that true?

Attached: r-scott-bakker.jpg (226x300, 11K)

Donaldson is very good. Thomas Covenant may be what he's most famous for but The Gap Cycle is his best work.

Try Stranger in a Strange Land. It was terrible but you might like it. Or else try The Dispossed. All ideological sf

I read Stranger (and kinda liked it although it made me pretty uncomfortable sometimes). There were a lot of philosophical discussions there but no people whose main job it is to write, teach or study philosophy.

Who is that? I don't read reviews usually, but I make exceptions for funny ones. Mark Twain's review of Deer Hunter for example is one of the funniest and most scathing literary reviews I've ever read.

goodreads.com/review/show/385334385?book_show_action=true&from_review_page=1

It started allright, but I dropped it by book two with the cartoon stuff.

Okay, that's pretty good. A bit overblown but he gets the point across well. Good to see I'm not the only person annoyed with his incredibly lazy pastiche of random military terms and concepts, it's so obvious from the way he just throws shit around he has no idea what he's doing with regards to warfare.

Good series but not great. Lots of interesting ideas and characters but like a lot of Tad Williams work he needs an editor to cut in half his word count. It really drags for huge sections.

how is this series?
i heard its basically wuxia but really really slow-paced.

One of the saddest endings I've ever read. The writing feels like something an actual grownup can enjoy, though the comedic tone of the novel makes it hard to take it seriously for a good part of it. The first novel is excellent, and can be read on its own if you think of the cliff hanger as a tragic ending. The second is good but not as captivating, and the third just feels stale in comparison, though it does have its moments of brilliance. Regardless of what you think of the ideological inclinations of new wave authors, they really did raise the bar in terms of emotional depth and stylistic complexity. This is nothing like old school sci fi.

Attached: 61GE8qTkfHL._SX322_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg (324x499, 48K)

>if you think of the cliff hanger
Forgot to add "at its end."

It’s a western take on wuxia. So the power levels are still crazy, but the progression is slower. The protagonist isn’t a genocidal sociopath either, and there’s no harem. It’s pretty enjoyable.

>there’s no harem
thats good but is there romance?
i love me some romance in my adventure novels.

>Williams normally writes fantasy
Which is a shame, because he actually shines the most when writing urban fantasy like War of the Flowers and the Bobby Dollar trilogy.

Attached: dirty streets of heaven cover.jpg (314x475, 56K)

It hasn’t really been developed at all, but he’s pretty clearly shipped with someone. But they’re both autistic cultivators so it’s taking time

>clearly shipped with someone. But they’re both autistic cultivators so it’s taking time
thats fine. i like it when romance isnt forced but develops naturally over time. i find that it adds to the story and character development.

All the characters are pretty enjoyable. You should give it a shot. It’s pretty fun, for what it is.

I have Dirty Streets of Heaven on my shelf but haven't read it. I have read War of the Flowers though and enjoyed it a lot. Williams I think really shines when he's confined to a standalone novel and can't stretch things out across 3+ doorstopper novels.

>reading moorecock
>positively talking about moorecock

There are several parts in book 2, (Red Seas Under Red Skies) where the author inserts this corny one liner towards a cat 'There is no way I am getting attached to you' and it becomes a recurring theme whenever the cat is in Locke's presence. It's very visible that it's his love of cats (which are named after the Avengers) is spilling into his book and it was just... cringe

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_Pooh
How long will it take for this to become an epic meme outside of /sffg/ the way that one user is pushing "Tolkien is the wen on the arse of fantasy" from Mieville?

Hello,Reddit!

Read the book and then watch the show.

The show shits all over the gentleman with thistle-down hair and turns him into a completely different character because apparently NO FUN IS ALLOWED and screws over Stephen's development to give the ladies more characterisation. The final episode of the show also has TV original elements and some book plotholes are fixed and the story is streamlined.

Attached: 4L_VSGGirfB.jpg (600x600, 92K)

>i dont see how you could hate shallan
do you want me to post some quotes from her? have you seen her sense of "humor"? god, her jokes are the most eyerolling cringe ive ever seen and the worst part is that sanderson wants you to think this character is super clever and really witty, he's trying desperately to make an independent female character thats interesting with her own flaws and talents, but he cant help but make her the most annoying prick in the book.
i think one of the worst chapters she had was one where she was trying to convert these deserters while the caravan was being attacked by raiders and she goes and puts on her disney princess magic and says something like
"i need your help, we're being attacked!"
"why are you asking us? we're wanted men"
"yes i came here WANTING MEN"
and she somehow just convinces them to join her. what a load of shit

Attached: 1534949224545.jpg (352x395, 45K)

>accuses the guy who made 70% of the memes in sffg of being redditte
I wonder why you are trying so hard to fit in. Who are you fooling?

Attached: I'm one of you Trust me.png (843x699, 208K)

>structured magics
Are there seriously enough autists out there that look for this in a story as if it means something special or actually contributes to the story's quality in any significant way?

>"i need your help, we're being attacked!"
>"why are you asking us? we're wanted men"
>"yes i came here WANTING MEN"
>and she somehow just convinces them to join her. what a load of shit
Sounds like any and all of Sanderson's sad attempts at """witty""" banter. I seriously struggle to think of worse dialogue by anyone even half as popular.

>"yes i came here WANTING MEN"
le epic upboot

Lord of the Rings films btfo of the books.

Yes and no.
The films work better as a self-contained story (e.g by ditching stuff that undermine the stakes, like tom bombadil and faramir being magically immune to the ring). But the other side of the coin is that they don't give the feeling of a world much more vast, ancient and complicated than the story unfolding.

It ditched Bombadil which is always a good thing.

Reminder that this is GRI approved

Just finished the first Mistborn book. I liked it! Thought the ending was a little rushed though and thought the big bad evil guy wasn't played up enough. It was a fun read though.

Is the second one in the series just as good?

The first trilogy is the same quality all the way through.

Nah. First book is good, the rest are trash.

No they are literally all the same in quality. Furthermore, Mistborn is not a series that can be read by just reading one book. You either read none of them or read them all.

Okay, I'm about a third of the way through A Wizard Of Earthsea and all I have to say is "What the fuck Rothfuss?"

Goddamn, Coltain and Itkovian were fucking heroes.

Books 2 and 3 have severe pacing issues.

why were they heroes

honest question: how DO you build up a big bad?

I'm working on a story right now and I'm a bit worried that the villain I have in mind doesn't even really appear or cause problems until the last thrid of the story. Long story short, MC goes to the underworld to find his dad. He gets there at the end of the second act and meets what he thinks is his father, but is actually a demon who killed his father and stole his body

So far the only instance I've come across where the live action adaptation is better than the book was Stardust. I like Gaiman's work, but Stardust sucked and the movie was infinitely more enjoyable.

the twist in that spoiler is far to common. dont do this. its predictable and at this point able to be seen from just reading the book blurb.

it's a classic trope for a reason user, and frankly my MC doesn't have any other motive to go on the journey.

I could split it half-way, keep the motive, and make the villain entirely unrelated, but then the MC doesn't even have a personal stake in the conflict.

You could just take the original concept and combine the two, the father was the demanz all along and he didn't die he just went home.

Is Word good enough to write in or should I push myself to get comfortable with Scrivener? Didn't want to make a new thread and you guys here apparently actually write.

Yes there are autists out there who would not read a book because the wizard doesn't pull shit out his ass and call it magic.

Where is the slave? I'm not picking up after you this time.
Chop chop new thread.

THREADSLAVE

that implies his mom either fucked a corpse or was raped by one, both are way too edgy for me.

There is another possibility though The MC isn't his parents' child. He was an infant abducted by his "dad" who planned to groom him as a better body. His mom rescued him and raised him as if he were her own son

Yes,sadly there are,that's what happens when you play too much rpgs

the ol switcheroo is also a tired clichê.

Word is good enough but Scrivener has extra stuff like work flow and templates for generating ebooks you'd have to do manually with Word.

scrivner is a great choice. alternatively you can use sigil but scrivner is pretty much the go to tool. you can pirate it but its pretty cheap to begin with. its also a one time purchase with free updates. no subscription bullshit.

Does it mark grammar or structural mistakes or offers synonyms like Word does? Please don't bully for this question.

I've found scrivener comfier but the dictionary is total absolute shit, it doesn't seem to ignore proper nouns, I write one fucking fanfic and I have to add like 100 words to the dictionary. It doesn't recognise commonly used words like lustre, marvelling, exsanguination or seneschal or travelled and I can't figure out how to import the default (not custom) dictionaries from word into it.

I don't think there's a right way. But with mistborn I wasn't as thrilled about the Lord Ruler because he literally makes his introductory appearance in the last fifth of the book. Then he bitchslaps a main character, fucks off, and isn't really encountered again until the last chapter.

Sure, the entire time before that they keep hinting at him, and his awesome power and everything, but we don't even really see it until then. The book was good, but it was a definite case where the writer told, and didn't show.

Then the entire last fourth of it, everything that the characters worked towards was already happening even though Kelsier and the crew had setbacks after setbacks. So it felt like it was rushed, rather than the characters actually earning it, which indirectly led TO the villain showing up, which made it feel even more rushed.

Essentially, just at least show him early enough that his presence in the story feels like he's a real threat rather than just window dressing till you need to trot him out.

Yes it has those but Word is better.

You can add extra dictionaries easily but I've no idea how to extract them from Word.

if you are using scrivner on windows then thats obvious. the issue is the mac version is on 3.0 while the windows version hasnt hit 2 yet.
they are working on updating it for windows to 3.0 in the coming weeks. it hasnt been a priority in the past as most of their customers used the mac verison but increasingly their windows version gets more use.

So I just started reading Stormlight Archives by Sanderson, and I'm REALLY not enjoying it. It's my first book from him but it's been a huge letdown considering how much good shit I heard. Does it better after the first few chapters?

Why is "The Wind-Up Girl" listed as "Not-Asia"?

It's literally set in post-apocalyptic Thailand

Attached: Capture.png (253x127, 50K)

user, let's be honest. You and I both know that these cliches don't have the power to ruin a story. All stories are made of the same pieces in different arrangements.

Personally, I'm confident in the story I'm building. My only problem is that I'm not sure the villain is built up enough, and frankly I'm already feeling better about that.

Also, I can only think of a single example where the whole "the main villain is actually your father" cliche is turned around into "the main villain isn't your father, they just look alike"

My main woes with Scrivener are:
Everything I described , the fact it doesn't remember the exact position I've scrolled to when I go back to scenes, the fact that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to add in hr tags or any other custom html on the go and the fact that grammar checking seems to be non existent.

Also re synonyms: Word's own synonyms suck and often I can think of many more synonyms offered by whatever degenerate engine that they use as a source of synonyms. Google offers better synonyms in general but some obscure ones you won't ever find and you have to read about them in other books or in dictionaries to learn those words.

Apparently, there's an .ini you can use to add custom words to and with a word custom .dic even a simple python script should be able to correct the formatting. However, the basic word dicts like the UK english one, etc the files my word is giving me seem to be

Attached: 1549206396411.png (616x50, 7K)

*than what is

1. Not really
2. Not that user but putting Not in front of a word is a 4chin way of saying that it is exactly like that. So if your character is called Lelouch, not-Lelouch means that the character is not named Lelouch but is obviously Lelouch to a very high degree.

Thanks for the answer. I think I'll use them both.

That's fair, though I don't think I can do that introduction early. However, what if I did it like this?

Since I can't establish my villain's strength early on, what if instead I gave a point of comparison? Establish early on that demons like the MC's father are rare and insanely dangerous to oppose. halfway through the journey the whole party goes up against a different demon and are lucky to just barely escape with serious wounds

Hmm okay thanks, I guess I'll use it as a doorstop.

Thanks I’ll be sure not to read it

It's probably better to write it in Word and then paste it into Scrivener to get those lovely little scenes nice and tidy

>Video games you can read
That's... underwhelming?

Fuck the slave.

New thread