Okay Yea Forums, time to talk about your favorite Shakespeare adaptations, be it theater or big screen pictures...

Okay Yea Forums, time to talk about your favorite Shakespeare adaptations, be it theater or big screen pictures, don't matter.

Attached: Iago.jpg (799x449, 51K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=dwYCq53vmNY
youtube.com/watch?v=7X9C55TkUP8
youtube.com/watch?v=RDPT2e26SgY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I unironically believe that the Baz Luhrmann '96 "Romeo + Juliet" is a fantastic work of art.

Attached: romeo + juliet.jpg (700x394, 65K)

visually and in world-conception, yes
the acting is wretched

The acting, as bad or as over the top as it was, is a piece of what makes the movie so great.

Naked Tempest in Central Park

i guess i get a little fussy and nervous so close to the edge of meta-narrative

The idea of Shakespeare's actual lines being performed almost badly by a young, inexperienced DiCaprio et al, with that fashion sense is actually sublime.

Tromeo and Juliet is the best adaptation ever put on film

Whatever that one Romeo and Juliet is that they show in English class where she’s naked.

Gamlet
Macbeth on youtube with Ian McKellan
Olivier's Richard III

well i know what i'm playing at work tonight

Attached: whoaeasyleo.gif (500x206, 974K)

Attached: 268x0w.png (268x402, 208K)

It's not the best that goes to Olivier, but I dig his Hamlet production.

Attached: kenbranhamlet.jpg (1440x750, 145K)

I really liked all of Kenneth Branagh’s film adaptations. Yes I sat through all of Hamlet. In the theatre. Real even film.

And Akira Kurosawa’s Ran, though it’s a reimagining of Lear.

The recent MacBeth film was pretty good, but they whispered so much of it, it was hard to follow

Event film

Whedon's take on Much Ado About Nothing needs more love,
it really nails the comedy

Attached: maan.jpg (1200x675, 88K)

lol I watched this
It was so awful

I've been interested in checking this one out - does it use Shakespeare's script, but in a modern setting?

fillion is so good as dogberry, and lenk does a hell of a lot with very little as verges. the two of them together sell the whole film.

pretty much, all filmed in one location too and on a shoestring budget

Favorite modern adaption is Coriolanus (2011)
youtube.com/watch?v=dwYCq53vmNY

Lawrence Olivier's Hamlet is the best cinematic adaption of Shakespeare
His Richard III adaption is also perfect

I absolutely despise Baz Luhrmann, atrocious director. His "style" reminds me of the NBC sitcom "Scrubs" or lowbrow 1990s Italian sex comedies--not glamorous dramas. He is incapable of displaying any emotion other than wonder and amazement at his own faggish tackiness

In 9th grade my half-retarded English teacher taught THE SCRIPT TO THE 1996 MOVIE rather than the actual play. The more I think about it the more angry I get. She literally went out of her way to IGNORE the widely available, single most famous play in the history of the English language in order to teach her students a much harder to locate script--which is nearly identical to that of the original play--but this time with helicopters, gunfights, and newscasters

I feel Shakespeare is like Mozart. Like his ideas are so pervasive in literature, direct quotations and adaptations are ubiquitous. It feels like its very difficult to appreciate Shakespeare objectively. Is this just me or do you think I have a point?

Attached: Apu.jpg (190x153, 5K)

Polanski's "Macbeth" has always been my favorite.

Attached: macbeth.jpg (648x295, 52K)

I hate this movie so goddamn much.

olivier's hamlet is dull, a one-note affair with no emotional levels beyond despondency and anger
totally fails to find the character's arc and follow it, instead reproduces the most obvious received interpretation

I rather like "Romeo + Juliet." Modernized Shakespeare is inherently stupid; Luhrmann takes that and runs with it rather than living in denial.

Great, just what I wanted to hear. I'll have to check it out soon. The whole modern setting + legitimate lines is fantastic to me.

>I absolutely despise Baz Luhrmann, atrocious director. His "style" reminds me of the NBC sitcom "Scrubs" or lowbrow 1990s Italian sex comedies--not glamorous dramas. He is incapable of displaying any emotion other than wonder and amazement at his own faggish tackiness
Total disagreement. It doesn't feel cheap to me at all - it's entirely over the top and it so often clashes with the source history or material (like his Moulin Rouge and Gatsby, but I think that's part of why I like it so much - the sheer difference between his absolutely shallow, surface level stylings and settings and costume designs paired against the subtle and profound source material. Your teacher sounds like a dumb cunt, though.

With all that said, Sofia Coppola out-did Luhrmann at his own game with her "Marie Antoinette".

You don't know despondent and one-note until you've seen Orson Welles's "Macbeth."

Attached: wat.jpg (1520x945, 151K)

Zeffirelli's Romeo & Juliet is a cinematographic masterpiece. Here was the creation of the quickzoom shot, which will now be championed by creativity-empty youtubers for the next hundred years. Let it be known that Zeffirelli did it first, and best.

Attached: zeffirelli.webm (1934x1106, 880K)

Attached: r&c.jpg (350x520, 35K)

Ran was great but Kurosawa's version of Macbeth was GOAT

Attached: Throne-3.jpg (1000x728, 107K)

My little sister watched this on YouTube at least 5 times after watching it once in the cinema and once on TV

Macbeth w/ Fassbender and Cotillard

Ewwww

Fantastic visually, but not my favorite Macbeth. Think I'd go with Kurosawa's Throne of Blood.

I don't really understand your post, are you saying Shakespeare shouldn't be adapted because his works are perfect as they are and it's hard to translate their magic to the big screen or are you saying you have a difficult time with appreciating him objectively because of his status and the fact that he is referenced ad nauseam?

Polanski's Macbeth, Wheedon's Much Ado About Nothing, the Mel Gibson Hamlet, the Ralph Fiennes Coriolanus, the Laurence Olivier Richard III, Orson Welles' Falstaff

Attached: G800S15.jpg (1106x1012, 90K)

Visually Zefferelli’s Romeo and Juliet was a treat but I thought the reading of Mercutio’s Queen Mab speech was all wrong

>reads Waiting for Godot once

Upstart Crow feat. David Mitchell and that lesbian chick from Game of Thrones

Attached: 1501817358548.png (195x189, 94K)

some interpretive license allowed there, i think. mcenery's merc seems to have been imagined with trauma-related neuroses, and that comes out in the mab speech especially ('Of breaches, ambuscadoes, Spanish blades...'). sometimes it's affecting, other times it grates.

I liked it.

Attached: trumpcaesar.jpg (1160x629, 230K)

blegh

Ian McKellens Richard iii, great atmosphere of interwar Britain, bankside power station as the tower, queen Anne as Wallis Simpson. And an inspired opening scene.

This thread surprisingly took off quite fast for a board like Yea Forums, nice!

Brando truly was the GOAT.
youtube.com/watch?v=7X9C55TkUP8

Ian McKellen is perhaps my favorite Shakespearean actor, dude knows his shit.

Laurence Olivier did a production of Lear for the BBC back in the 70’s.
It was low budget and bare bones scenery but I thought he gave a tremendous performance as Lear and John Hurt was awesome as The Fool.

The cute gril from the old Avengers was one of the bad daughters and the guy who played Kent was the Runpole of the Bailey guy.

Whoops Leo McKern played Gloucester not Kent and Diana Rigg played Regan

No, I'm saying that our culture is so saturated with the mythical figure of Shakespeare and his most important ideas, that its hard to actually come to terms with the level of his genius. And I draw a comparison to Mozart because I realize I'm still working on hearing a masterwork like Symphony 40 objectively, because of cultural over-saturation.

I was!

All female cast

It was!

All female cast. Makes it all better.

Attached: images (5).jpg (466x659, 48K)

i hope someone strangles you and records it so you can be laughed at for all posterity

I wish I could find the full version of this:
youtube.com/watch?v=RDPT2e26SgY

We had to watch this in English class. God it was a pain, especially because ESL and you don't understand half of it and all the girls just swooned over Leo. In my review I thought about complaining about the ''negro tranny'' but I didn't have the balls to. Baz Luhrman is an atrocious director, I fucking hate every single thing of his I've seen.

Doesn't casting Trump as Caesar imply that attempts to solve all of society's problems by getting rid of Trump are misguided?

(I'm assuming that you're "blegh"-ing from a pro-Trump perspective, given that this is Yea Forums.)

Mainly because I watched it as a kid and it's a comfy af. Not sure why but something always brings me back to this film. They should've kept the dick joke in though.

Attached: 3-7.png (1600x900, 2.05M)

Not him but he's probably just tired of the general obsession everybody has with Trump, to the point where he's even showing up in Shakespeare adaptations

based and fpbppilled. Pete Postlethwaite made a great Friar Lawrence. And it has what's his name, the character actor who played Arthur Dales on The X-Files as the chemist.

I loved Irons and Pacino in Merchant of Venice. It's an amazing film, with a beautiful and erudite Portia played by Lynn Collins. Also very good: Fiennes' Coriolanus. And the film Much Ado About Nothing with Keaton as Dogberry was great.

I haven't liked Hamlet yet, not BBC/PatStew's version or the retarded early 2000s American version.

Attached: sia.jpg (1006x760, 67K)

not that user but trump is actually a good president so far. trumphate is an uncritical phenomenon, a flash in the pan driven by propagandists who profit from your outrage with the side benefit for the DNC of controlling what you believe.

Trump is not a Caesar. I would blergh because anyone involved in a production where orange man bad tells me the writers are fucking lazy or so far up their own ass they shouldn't be lecturing anyone about politics.

Attached: tybaltandmaria.jpg (880x1464, 737K)