I really love Dick. Discuss

I really love Dick. Discuss.

Attached: photo-philipkdick.jpg (612x646, 46K)

I'm reading Ubik.
I like it very much

I read the man in high castle last month, currently reading Dr.Bloodmoney atm.

read Palmer, Androids and Scanners. Those are highly readable.

You have to respect the fact that this guy was the genuine article. His walk really matched his talk. I don't know about the getting married 13 times thing, but he sure seemed to be some kind of mystic. The thing about him diagnosing his son after the doctors couldn't is really something else.

Philip K. DICK that is! Hohohohohohohohoo good one muhsir eheheheeheheheheheheheheheheheheheh

haha imagine if he was called Richard Dick
Dick Dick HUEHA

Attached: 1488743153944.jpg (620x413, 23K)

Has anyone else read the novelisation of Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides

wrong thread oops

i put a Dick in a Kant
:D

Attached: hehe.png (949x744, 1.05M)

Attached: PA_dick.jpg (1050x526, 221K)

you Kant do that

Ursula K. Le Guin is better

I literally cannot get enough Dick

wtf is with this artstyle

i like the audiobooks so i can get some Dick in my ear

I'm reading Man on the High Castle right now. It's really done wonders to my spirit. I started practicing feng shui and I'm studying daodejing and it's really motivated me and inspired me. I never would have thought that that stupid little book with its insufferable cast of characters would have such an impact on me. Thank you, PKD. I haven't finished all the books I own from you but this one really made me appreciate you more than I thought it would've.

Shhh

Fuck you, stop copying my trip.

*slurps*

Please stop this.

picture unrelated?

read that book on a train and it's unironically changed my life, I love Dick so much now I literally cannot stop chugging it in my face I own all hsi books

didactic bitch that hasn't written anything good after mid 70's. :>(

>I really love dick
That's pretty gay, user.

Thoughts on his short stories?

Reading The Philip K. Dick Reader and I'm half way through.
Some Gems here and there but nothing special.

Haha OP is ACTUALLY a fag

Chris Kraus?

>Dr.Bloodmoney
How is this? I've heard people say it's a masterpiece.

No. She has better prose but PKD is more imaginative. Also, PKD's themes are less obvious and more thought-provoking than hers.

Honestly? It's only okay. It's great scifi, generally speaking, but not Dick at his peak. Ubik, Valis trilogy, Androids, Flow My Tears, and Scanner are my top picks. I liked Eldritch a lot, too, but sometimes it felt he was jamming a little much into it.

Bloodmoney, honestly... If you want a great post-apocalyptic bit, Canticle for Lebowitz is the king of that genre.

I've recently read 9 of his novels. I maaay try for his entire bibliography in my lifetime. But again, I might not. 15 books might be e-fucking-nough

hahaha...you're so excited. Should i start with Ubik then? I wanted to start with Bloodmoney. Thanks, kind user.

its all a dream, the dude is already dead.

If that's spoiler you're a son of a whore and I would gladly slap your bitch ass face.

Man in the High Castle gives prominent world building exposition that stretches over into PKD's other works, including Ubik.
You don't have to read it before hand because PKD will subtly have a few lines of dialogue here and there about why the world is the way it is but I would suggest reading MitHC beforehand just because it clears up a lot of the confusion.

Androids was fucking genius. I used it to write a college paper on mental illness and it was a goldmine for those kinds of arguments. I still like the book better than the film, definitely check it out.

it is. the living dude guiding the dead dude is also dead.
there, saved you from reading the rest of it. you can thank me later.

Attached: hmm.png (200x200, 81K)

It's pretty great. Not as good as his heavy hitters, but the characters and action are some of his best.

Thanks a lot, anons. Much appreciated.

Instantly hidden.
Ain't reading that shit.
Just know you ain't gonna live long with that attitude.

Attached: rai1vmmyjhv11.png (497x580, 424K)

I'm the user you were responding to initially and I'll say either start with Androids or Ubik. Both are fantastic and will give you a good idea of what you're in for with Dick. Androids was my first and it probably remains my favorite. It introduces a neologism (kipple, which I use sometimes), existential themes, and is appropriate to our time, addressing a dying earth, the nature of intelligence, migration to Mars (which is a favorite long-term theme of his [e.g. total recall, androids, eldritch, divine invasion, etc.]), AND MORE.

Ubik is a bit of a mindfuck. It's a brilliant dance through the mystery of the unconscious with a nice set of twists, the kind of twists which you read classic science fiction for. He holds onto that Bradbury kind of artistry, but moves beyond it.

So. Androids or Ubik.

Oooh, I bet Scanner or VALIS would've been perfect for that, too.

I'll put them on my list, thanks.

VALIS is the most perfect instance of written schizophrenia I've yet encountered. I think it's his masterpiece, but may not be the best way to enter into PKD.

I've never read anything like it, and I doubt other writers would've had the talent to do that book correctly. It pains me that the VALIS trilogy are the last 3 he wrote before dropping dead. He would've only gotten better. I resent GOD for taking him away from us.

weird i just saw one

>Pirates of the Caribbean 4: On Stranger Tides
tim powers wrote this book. tim was friends with dick and the character David in valis is based on him.

spooky