What's your favourite Krasznahorkai?

What's your favourite Krasznahorkai?

Attached: Krasznahorkai_László.jpg (786x800, 94K)

I've only read war and war so far so it's my favorite. I liked it enough to get satantango which I will read in a few weeks.

Only read Melancholy of Resistance but I liked it.

>tfw Hungarian but haven't read any of his relevant major books, only his novella with a Japanese theme, and his interview/travel journal on China
>I have both War and War and Sátántangó sitting on my shelf
He's a good author. I firmly believe that his writings will stand the test of time, and he'll be studied in schools 20 years from now.

Satantango and War and War are both very good places to start but I suggest Satantango first.

Satantango is written in a very simple and plain "realistic novel style", amirite? Not exactly experimental as, for example, The World Goes On. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

What you say is true. Both War and War and Satantango are written in the style you suggest but his short stories have a more denser and abstract feeling towards them.

>a more denser and abstract feeling
That is my favorite Krasznahorkai. He and Bela Tarr gave me a better understanding and knowledge of Hungary. I wouldn't know much about it if it weren't for them.

What about Werckmeister Harmonies? Is it similar to Satantango?

You Mean Melancholy? Kind of a blend of realistic style with some abstracness later on.

>You Mean Melancholy?
Yeah, my bad.
>Kind of a blend of realistic style with some abstracness later on.
Nice, I might read it in the next months. The idea behind the story is amazing.

I think the one thing that annoyed me is that he wasn't really clear on what the whale corpse represented. I guess it was God in some way but I could be wrong. Good book though.

I read Satantango and it was boring as hell

But the vagueness was brilliant! It may be God, but it's also just what it is: the enormity and power of nature, and yet of a nature which is dead. You realize how much you loved something only when it's gone.

I don't think it necessarily symbolizes one thing in specific but something great and incredible that should be awe inspiring and yet no one but Janos cares.

Read Melancholy of Resistance. It has people getting murdered and angry mobs.

Well, I've already read two of his books. It's just that I haven't taken my time yet to sit down to read anything that's "relevant" by him.

War and War is my favorite and one of my favorite books ever. Satantango bored me and I dropped it halfway through.

I've read those two and Seiobo There Below, and I think War and War stands out above all of them. There's a heart to the book, with the main character and the story he's telling, that you don't get with the other two. Maybe I'm just sentimental

I liked it.

Reading Santantango now, when does it get good lads?

Seiobo There Below

When you watch the movie.