Compiling a list of the most beautiful artifacts in civilization. I'll start us off

Compiling a list of the most beautiful artifacts in civilization. I'll start us off.

Annees de Pelerinage, Liszt
Satyricon, Petronius
Faust Part 2, Goethe
The Ruined Cottage, Wordsworth
Mont Sainte-Victoire, Cezanne
The Sacred Fount, James
Ideon: Be Invoked, Tomino
Ivan the Terrible, Eisenstein
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre, Hooper
Twilight, Nerdrum

Attached: 00111011101.jpg (1000x1384, 181K)

The Collected Works of Rainbow Rowell

>Annees de Pelerinage, Liszt
I love Liszst, but nope. With few exceptions, (The Bells of Geneva is a neglected masterpiece, on par with any Chopin nocturne), bad, though unintentional attempts at impressionism. So many musical works are more worthy of your regard.

But, I can't despise a fellow Liszt lover so much.

There are better works in late Liszt like Lugubre Gondola. Pelerinage is at least better than chopin.

whats the best liszt

Bach’s cello suites

Michelangelo’s Pietá

Prometheus Unboun, Percy Shelley

I like Annees too, three hours of loveliness.

He was an extremely prolific, yet inconsistent composer, meaning the vast, vast majority of what he wrote is frankly mediocre, but was, (except very early works), innovative. In my opinion, it would be the second and sixth rhapsody, the first Mephisto Waltz, Totentanz, the Sonata, (not really my cup of tea, but extremely popular and has an utterly arresting quality), the Transcendental Etudes, Liebestraum No. 3, Consolation No. 3, Un Sospiro, Les cloches de Genève. There are other original works worth listening to, but works that compare well with the best music literature are too few, and I think Liszt should have focused more on polishing individual works than having such boundless prolificness.

However, as a transcriber, Liszt was without equal. I would say with little doubt that his sole contributions to the genre are greater than all other composers combined. From the Pagainini Etudes, various fantasies, (the best of which being that based on Robert Le Diable, and the Don Juan Fantasy), numerous opera transcriptions, (especially that of Wagner's Tannhauser's prelude), superb transcriptions of some of Bach's best organ works, transcriptions of various orchestra works, (notably, Saint-Saens's Dance Macabre), Chopin's songs, numerous Schubert's songs, songs by Rossini, the rhapsodies themselves being great transcriptions and of various contemporary Hungarian pieces, and of course, the crown achievement of all piano transcription, the Beethoven symphonies. It was for these monumental works that Liszt reserved all his powers and all his knowledge, perfectly selecting exactly what aspects to retain from the symphonies and fully exploiting all possible piano technique all with the end of recreating the orchestral playing of the some of best orchestral work every made, with the impression never given that something is missing.

Late Liszt

>Pelerinage is at least better than chopin.
That's a very, very questionable statement. The works simply don't appeal to me, but if you took their length, you really think you couldn't find equivalent works by Chopin that were not better?

>Twilight, Nerdrum

Liszt at his worst is better than the sentimental hackery of his student Chopin

I have as much love as one can reasonably have for Liszt, but this no part of this statement is true. Chopin was never the student of Liszt, and really could not have been more opposite. They were contemporaries, virtuosos, romantic, largely wrote for the piano, but there the similarity ends.

I actually rarely listen to Chopin, as I have heard his works too often, and he there is too little variety in the form of his works, but no composer I know so is so consistently pleasing in their works, or so effectively hides their art within deceptive simplicity, not even Bach, Mozart, or Beethoven.

I don't know how contrarian one's taste in music would have to be dislike Chopin, but I hope it is a state that never befalls me.

Nuages gris

Which collection of Goethe's poems contains the Sorcerer's Apprentice?

the b minor sonata.

great thread

Saying that Chopin was Liszt's student is flat out false.

>Eisenstein
Opinion discarded

>Faust Part 2
Currently reading.
It's unrelenting, it's absolute garbage. A million pages about fleas in witches pubes, and a mountain giant fucking a satyr, while Satan plays riddles with Sphinxes and Faust bitches and moans abot not being able to fuck a long dead loli.
Marlows Faustus is better.

OP, can you please provide me with a defense of your selections? Once you do so, I'll tell you what to add.

Are you one of the old AA guys? The Da Vinci, the Liszt, the general vibe of this post reminds me of them.