Convince me to like reading & huck finn

brainlet high schooler (18) here, my AP Lang class is 200 pages into Huck Finn and I've read literally none of it. I want to read & improve my grade but I find it soul crushing. I also think English is useless

convince me to enjoy the book
also so im part of the board culture and not a shitposting newfag
>'bugs easy on the carrots' is funnier and has infinitely more scale/depth than 'big chungus'

Attached: banned-huckfinn-feature.jpg__350x494_q85_crop_subsampling-2_upscale.jpg (350x494, 63K)

Other urls found in this thread:

poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/44212/the-love-song-of-j-alfred-prufrock
cde.state.co.us/coreadingwriting),
amazon.com/Kasimir-einen-Platten-Lars-Klinting/dp/3789167843
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>I've read literally none of it
>I find it soul crushing
I think you should take a year off from high school to get psychiatric help instead.

Knowing a basic (shit) Yea Forums meme doesn't make you any less new, only reading books can do that. If you think English literature is useless and you can't read a children's book, there's really no reason for you to be wasting time lurking on this board.

Huck Finn is good and best read when you're young or new to reading. I read it when I was 11/12 so I don't remember much except for the fact that I liked it, unfortunately.

I read all the books in high school, am at ivy league and am gonna make 6 figures at job. If youre too fucking obstinate to read a book they assign, you're a fucking failure.

It says the N word a lot. I read it whenever I need a good laugh.

Attached: Snapchat-1129870916.jpg (1080x1080, 168K)

there's a chapter where Huck and Jim get into an argument where Jim refuses to believe the French language exists, which was kind of funny.

If you wanted to read and improve your grade then you would have done it already. And if you think English is useless why the fuck are you here? Asking strangers to convince you get your life in shape? You're in high school, education is likely your only responsibility right now and that's too much?

no dude i have a job too which i put way more effort into

Cool

Try this on for size, see if you like
It. It’s never too late to start loving literature. Don’t mind the Italian at the beginning, but if you’re curious, it’s from Dante’s Inferno where a damned soul is speaking to Dante in Hell, and he says:

If I but thought that my response were made
to one perhaps returning to the world,
this tongue of flame would cease to flicker.
But since, up from these depths, no one has yet
returned alive, if what I hear is true,
I answer without fear of being shamed.

poetryfoundation.org/poetrymagazine/poems/44212/the-love-song-of-j-alfred-prufrock

>have a job too which i put way more effort into
Imagine being in high school and putting effort into your job lmao

fuck you loser. that's literally the same shit that my teacher assigns me day in day out, it's entirely nonsense that i can never relate to and has zero practical application to the real world. but she'll make me analyze every single subtlety til my head spins. my english teacher will stay with her shit salary and degree until she dies.
meanwhile i will go into stem and make 6 figures easy

English teacher here, here to tell you that you're objectively wrong on the utility of English.

I think your brain is too subsumed by the content (read literature from different time periods) and not the form, or skills, you derive from that. But it also depends on your teacher's pedagogical approach.

If you look at your state's academic standards for English (here's mine - cde.state.co.us/coreadingwriting), and think of those as skills, you'll see English imparts abilities in critical thinking (arguably the most useful tool you can ever have), argument, greater understanding of the depths and mechanics of language, research, media literacy (definitely important in today's hypermediated world), speaking and listening skills that can be used in any professional context, etc. etc.

The common complaint I see from students is that they're not learning Home-Ec/Financial Literacy (not my fucking job bitch), and while there are classes for that, you can make the reasonable conclusion that English could teach you how to close read a tax form or social security stuff. More often than not, kids also tend to conflate "real world" with "work that provides an immediate, concrete, tangible service" i.e. fast food, construction, working on electrical/plumbing stuff, anything that requires physical labor, etc. In some areas they're right, but it's all about how you apply the skills to your everyday life.

Every year, I make my honors seniors do a capstone project where they have to go out and work with their communities to make a positive impact using their English skills - they do things like make proposals, contact businesses/non-profits, etc. I have seen kids make positive, real world impact on a local level.

The utility of English is everywhere, you just have this sophomoric, lazy-but-I-think-I'm-Intelligent air to your thoughts, and you lack the capacity to think at a higher level beyond your own limited worldview because you didn't pay attention in English.

you sound like a fag. what fucking loser of a teacher browses Yea Forums's literature board lmao. kill yourself

i would literally bully my teacher if i learned that he did this

Fuck off underage newfag

Who are you kidding newfag?
Stop trying to be edgy or some shit. You can't even bully your bullies.
Get a fucking life faggot.

I think they eat turtle eggs but that might've been another book, I read this when I was 9 or 10 years old. It's a children's book, a quite good one at that.

>can't read a children's book
lmfaoing at your life, kid.
also, I'm female and you're a virgin. Have fun being a loser.

Attached: laugh.jpg (474x474, 28K)

My job in high school was selling cigarettes to students and running a book on the football pick 'ems. Made more money than my friends that were working 20hrs a week and my customers used to come to me during break. Fuck actually working during high school need that time for reading, vidya, watching tv, and shit.

This is a good post with a reasonable amount of effort and very thoughtful and useful. Only dumbcunts would ignore the wisdom of the English teacher.

I have a few examples from a series og German childrens books that go into great detail about common tasks so, once the child has read the text, they have also learned some kind of skill. This one is one of my favorites. They teach children to patch a tire in this adventure rather than be pussies and go home.
>amazon.com/Kasimir-einen-Platten-Lars-Klinting/dp/3789167843

N-word

Why are you here? Why are you asking for help with English if all you're gonna do is trash on literature? No one can MAKE you appreciate English, but if you approach it with an open mind and read closely (and reread when you don't understand something) you will enjoy it much more.

This is how a small child responds when someone tells them exactly what they are. Grow up and read the damn book it's amazing. You could be picking cell phones out of a trash heap everyday

imagine putting effort into school
guess we kno who the friendless incel in this thread is lmao

That book is ez af. You don't really need to put efford to read it unless you're a nigger. Are you a nigger user?

I'm a nigger but can read also.

t. Booknigger

>high schooler
>too retarded to read Huckleberry Finn
>&
>thinks English is useless
>"so i'm not a shitposting newfag"
>greentexting incorrectly

bait or retarded, saged either way

Attached: neckbeard2.png (355x445, 223K)

>can't muster the will power to read 200 pages to read thousands of black words
>can justify spending a few hours on the computer laughing at frogs and rabbits while reading thousands of green words
Well shit, I hope you don't plan on leaving that entry level job with that kind of work ethic

Attached: kimmyposting.jpg (133x155, 17K)

Just treat it as a patience excercise. Huck Finn is meant to be entertaining, you will die in your STEM studies if you can't go through 200 pages of lightweight text. Maybe you will find an appreciation for English along the way.