When reading Pynchon should I be looking up each and every reference and terms I don't understand or just keep going...

When reading Pynchon should I be looking up each and every reference and terms I don't understand or just keep going through it? How do you read him usually? I'm starting with V as my first Pynchon novel.

Attached: PYNCHON.jpg (191x264, 6K)

Other urls found in this thread:

mindspring.com/~shadow88/)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

just keep going through

The first thing you're going to want to do to understand V. is smoke some grass and go to a dive bar

V. can be read without needing the wiki or making notes, just like a normal novel, and that's basically the same for TCoL49. Any references that you'd like to find more about you could do after reading it... For Gravity's Rainbow and Mason & Dixon, I would recommend using the wiki. The wiki is really helpful for M&D, but it's much less complete for GR because it was originally meant as a companion for Weisenburger. If you can get your hands on Weisenburger's companion for GR from a library, it may help your experience vastly...

"P-p-phfffff...." T. Pynchon

>joaquin stick

>a cow sez moo
what does this mean? why does pynchon have to be so obtuse

Gravity's Rainbow is one of those books where you are gonna feel completely lost on a page by page basis but once you look back after completing larger sections you realize you came away with much more of the information than you thought you would.

you ever just fuck around and read pynchon for personal enjoyment?

I found the wiki guide handy for GR and Lot49. A-and this one (mindspring.com/~shadow88/) has been useful for Vineland. Honestly, the best guides I've found have been independent sites; just google "x reading guide" and the best will usually be topmost.

What the fuck is this obtuse faggotry?
Reading a book should be as simple as reading a book, not needing to be an autist about things.

Abridged version WHEN

There's a lot of cultural references, songs and colloquialisms that are going to confuse you, even more so than the jokes about thermodynamics in GR. Just glide over it my dude

Read it, get out of it what you can, read it again in 5 years and pick up on the things that you missed. Rereading a book you haven't touched in years can be one of life's great pleasures. It can also bring a book you held in great esteem crashing down to the ground sometimes but hey, that's life.

It's called V because that's how many years it took me to read it.

Incidentally, I've been on this board for just as long

Attached: 1550069570609.png (1000x432, 165K)

Just read cover to cover, then look up topics you're not familiar with and read the whole thing again in a few months. This is the only known way to read Pynchon.

I can't stand the feeling of not getting something, so I try to look up references and terms and I keep re-reading over exhaustively.

It's called against the day because i read it in a day

Attached: 1536784226620.jpg (480x360, 13K)

Yes. And you must know the etymology of each word in the text as well.

It's called Bleeding Edge because it gave me a papercut.

pynchon's 101
etymology's 102

I agree. Once you accept the story will instantly change setting or switch from a physical description to someone's thoughts it gets easier.

What's the deal with the Stencil chapters?
Why are there so many new character introduced each time?
Why does the perspective seem to change at any moment?
Why does he refer to himself in the 3rd person?

Just past halfway in the book, does it get any easier???

Stencil is trying tie all these loosely related strings together, he gets inside stories he has heard and embellishes them until they mean something. The book uses the term “stencilized;” that is to say, what you’re reading in his chapters is in some way “less real” than the opposing Benny chapters. If you’re halfway, does that mean you’ve read She Hangs on the Western Wall? No it doesn’t get easier in some ways it gets more difficult.

Oh, that makes a lot of sense, thanks

I'm almost done with Mondaugen's story but it just gets overwhelming at times

To be honest I’m still not done with V, I’ve been chipping away at it for almost a couple years. I really like it but for some reason it is not hard for me to put down and do or read other things. Mondaugen’s story is pretty out there, things get less out there for a while though still somewhat difficult, I’d say if overall you’re enjoying it you will continue to enjoy it

you should read GR

I'd say just get through it on your first reading and you can do a more thorough reading later if you feel like it

Just power through. Pynchon should be read multiple times anyway.