This film was incredible and because it was incredible I bet Yea Forums hates it

This film was incredible and because it was incredible I bet Yea Forums hates it.
Am I right or wrong? What's the general consensus of it here?

youtube.com/watch?v=sRHPRjxCDYM

Attached: Alien.gif (540x225, 2.81M)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iCfBiIzWG9g
youtu.be/dfStP2PIxQo?t=4125
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

you're right i did hate it up until the end - one of the most memorable scifi film moments that felt truly "alien"

unfortunately the ride to the end was slow and dragged on

end scene was kino
Movie still had some questionable moment but a good movie for sure

BBBBBBBBBRRRRRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAP ay lamo

It was poor (wo)man's STALKER and was shit

The atmosphere, the visuals, the shots and the music were all great. Especially the last scene.

But everyone in it except Portman was a shit actor honestly. Rewatch it and pay attention to their performance. It's dreadful.

Nice visuals. Pretty weak in every other way though.

remove like, every single thing except the aliens and it's kino— aka, it's not kino

Oh don't worry, I'm not so much of a fan that I'd be blind to that shit. The other actors were weak, no doubt about it.
I just can't get that amazing as fuck ending section out of my mind and it's admittedly making me pretty bias.
Holy shit was that part good though.

Would have made a better music video than a movie.

I liked the bear scene

I thought it just didn't quite manage to be good. There was a lot of interesting stuff going on, visually it was pretty cool, Garland is a great director, but it felt incoherent and unsatisfying as a whole.

The characters were kind of terrible

General coensus was that it was pretty mediocre but somewhat able to keep the interest, but the final act at the lighthouse was absolutely superb. The peak this movie reached was one of the greatest of the decade, which just further makes the first 2/3rds of the movie feel awful

Kind of like unglorious basterds. The opening scene was best Tortillano has ever done, which just made the rest feel more underwhelming than it really was

I saw it stoned and I had a mini-panic attack during the bear scene and I had to try and hide it from my friends

The movie affected me deeply

It all seemed meaningless to me. What was the point of anything? How did anything relate to anything else? Plus the characters were boring.

Pretty meh movie with an outstandingly bad ending. Which is a shame because I love this kind of movies.

What movie?

godawful piece of shit

the ending was cool and there was some interesting ideas. didn't care for the characters much

Attached: f6a730c03350c609f7fbdc619a55a31c.jpg (540x705, 112K)

I fucking loved it. I've rewatched it twice since the theaters. That intestine video and the bear are top-tier horror.

If they'd hinted that that dude was somehow, impossibly, still alive, I think I'd have enjoyed that scene even more.

>WOMEN GOOD MEN BAD
>BIG BLACK COCK
this shit is for fucking cuckolds

When the alien shitted lmao!

Why did any of that happen though? Nothing is explained it's all just randomness.

>Nothing is explained it's all just randomness.
im not a fan of the movie, but they're dealing with a completely alien intelligence/lifeform so it being inexplicable is sort of the point.

I've never read the book, but my own interpretation of it is that they're only partially correct about what's happening inside the Shimmer. They say refraction. *I* say that the Shimmer is the boundary of an alien consciousness that is slowly expanding, that the refraction they're describing is the translation from our shared reality to the perceived reality within that consciousness, which is examining and combining new concepts as it encounters them. From the moment you enter the Shimmer, you're no longer yourself, strictly speaking, but rather the alien consciousness's "idea" of you.

It's based on a trilogy of books - the other two go more in depth into what's going on, from the perspective of the scientists at the base

In Alien they're also dealing with a completely alien lifeform but the movie gives you all the information you need. Facehugger comes from egg, which impregnates human and then human dies and gives birth to the Alien. In Annihilation, we don't know much about what's going on at all, and it feels like the filmmakers don't really know or care either. Each scene is just meant to give you a feeling and freak you out or surprise you, but not of it is connected in a logical way. Why did that weird intestine gore scene happen? It's just there to be gorey and weird.

And that's not even mentioning other problems with the story. Like, they say no one has ever come back after crossing the barrier. So they get 5 women and just walk into it with no plan or special technology to test the barrier or anything. Why not send someone in and then immediate walk back out again to see what happens, since no one has done that? Running out of characters

No doubt the books are better, I can only comment on the movie

Decent enough, no white actress though. Tonnes of kikes and browns.

So because some other alien movie has an incredibly basic and easy to understand alien lifeform all other alien films need to be the same? The fuck?
The entire premise of Annihilation is that we don't know what the fuck the alien is, what it wants, if it can even want in the first place, if it's evil, if it thinks or just acts on instinct, if it's 'just trying to survive' or anything else. We don't know everything about the universe and we know even less about alien life, we don't even know if alien life fucking exists, so if we came into contact with something there's no saying if we'd know what the fuck it is / wants.
I had a few issues with the movie but not understand the alien wasn't among them.

The alien in annihilation is way more alien than the xenomorph though. It isn't even an organism in a way we can understand.

I agree with the rest of what you're saying though, i thought the movie was a misfire.

You can't just walk in and right back out. Even time is "refracted" across the Shimmer. You lose whole days upon entry. If you're talking about going in with the express purpose of turning and walking right back out, there's nothing in the movie that implies that hadn't been the objective of a previous team, just that they clearly didn't achieve it, therefore it might not even be possible to leave unless you do what Portman and Isaacs did.

humans are cellularly flawed because our cells are self destructive. The shimmer cells are not.

I liked it, it was different. Can’t say I’d ever watch it again though.

It was just an example of a movie about an Unknown Alien Force but where it doesn't just random scene after random scene with no explanation to anything. You could take out any of the scenes in Annihilation and everything else still makes just as much sense (very little).
Look you can tell the makers of the film don't care what the explanations are and are just making these scenes for shock value or cool visuals or whatever.

Compare it to The Thing, again very alien and unknown. Yet there is an actual logic to what is happening that the filmmakers care about. By the end of the movie we understand to some degree what the Thing is capable of and what happened. In Annihilation we don't know anything really, and the filmmakers don't seem to care what is going on, as long as the visuals are cool.

In that case, it still makes no sense why you would just send 5 women in with no plan whatsoever.

Flawed, but good.

>tripfag says something faggy
I hate reruns.

>Compare it to The Thing, again very alien and unknown. Yet there is an actual logic to what is happening that the filmmakers care about. By the end of the movie we understand to some degree what the Thing is capable of and what happened. In Annihilation we don't know anything really
And? Why does the concept of humans not knowing everything baffle you so much? And again just because other alien films choose to reveal things about said alien lifeform doesn't mean it's needed. I love The Thing, it's my favorite horror of all time bar non, I love Alien, I love Signs, I love a plethora of other alien films too and I love Annihilation. Not knowing what the Alien is, is in no way a flaw.

Why are you not getting this? It's not that we don't know about the alien. That's fine. It's that nothing in the movie has any logic to it, is not thought out, and it just there for visuals and feels. That's it.

Maybe you're into that. Just a kind of stream of consciousness of weird visual ideas, in a setting with no rules.

They had a plan, though. They were pretty much at the end of their rope, out of ideas and just going full spaghetti method. They'd already been sending in different mixes of people with differing fields of expertise. Portman just so happened to arrive in time for "Fuck it. Let's send in an all-female team," which I don't personally think had that much impact on the outcome. I think it was the fact that Isaacs and Portman had a wealth of shared life experiences with different perspectives, and the fact that they did finally gave the entity a firmer grasp of the concept of "other."

what was the deal with Portman cheating on him, why did they add that in

Is part of the self destruction.
I remember all the fragile /pol/tards triggered because the prof is a nigger.
They did not even get the cheating was shown in a very bad light.

I think it was to show the contrast in Isaacs's view on their relationship and Portman's. That's one of the things the entity doesn't really understand - relating to consciousnesses outside its own.

Name a better jewess than Portman. You literally can't.
youtube.com/watch?v=iCfBiIzWG9g

as much as I hate this faggots opinions, he's right on this one

It didnt bother me he was black, that's kind of to be expected in hollywood now, it just felt kind of random and pointless and made me dislike her.

I guess it makes sense as a self-destruction thing.

what movie is this from? I dont recognize that gif. halp

Prometheus

Leon : The Professional

youtu.be/dfStP2PIxQo?t=4125

Why did Alex Garland take the ending from Galaxy of Terror?

I wasn't specifically attacking you, just remembering the hysteria.

The frequent cuts to portman being debriefed in her quarantine cell just for expository purposes is such a lame trope and sucked a lot of the momentum out of the movie.

Definitely true, and it basically gave away that she would be the only survivor. Stupid.

As soon as I saw her riding a black dude, I was like "Here we go again." and I left and walked across the hall to see another movie. I never saw the rest of it.

it was so worth it for the scene with Isaac bro!

It was alright, I really liked the bear scene. It was really creative and probably the scariest part of the movie. I feel like the book was better, but that's just me. Good effects on the alien(?) at the end though.

Attached: 1564211174933.jpg (1080x1237, 64K)

>They had a plan, though. They were pretty much at the end of their rope, out of ideas and just going full spaghetti method

Pretty much. Why do people act like this isn't addressed in the movie at all? We see the all-male team that went in right before them. The various other expeditions are mentioned. Portman and one of the other women openly discuss how everyone on the mission is damaged goods which is why they've been cleared for what's essentially a suicide mission.

There's nothing logically inconsistent or particularly femnist about it, They only try women after giving the men a shot first, and mostly because the director with cancer wants to go herself before she dies. The women go nuts and fall to pieces just like the men did. Portman makes it exactly as far as her husband did, except he allowed his doppleganger to leave because he didn't actually want to live.

Attached: 1519337820339.jpg (1024x607, 54K)

thumbnail looks like a crow

Aye, that's the point user.

>except he allowed his doppleganger to leave because he didn't actually want to live.
Didn't original Natalie die too though?

>scene ends right before the ass shot

Attached: we are disappoint.jpg (417x373, 15K)

it's a deleted scene from Terminator 2

You are correct.

Attached: 1496001508676.png (364x287, 118K)

Yea and Oscar Issacs character goes for the suicide mission. All these people not coming back and he's depressed from the cheating and decides to go in and probably die.

>the bear scene

Beautiful.

It's important for both their motivations.

He's so depressed over getting cucked by a negro that he agrees to go into the shimmer even though he knows everybody who does dies.

And even though he never explicitly told her that, she figured it out so when he disappeared and then came back all fucked up she felt incredibly guilty, which is why she agrees to go herself to try to help him when he comes back, even though she knows it's a huge risk.

Of course, she eventually finds out it wasn't even really him that came back but that's okay because she comes back as a different person, although to answer 's question it's still technically her. She didn't let the alien copy her but she did bring some alien back with her. She wasn't replaced but she did change.

Attached: 07557724654.png (555x644, 553K)

Oh, I could had sworn she had a flash back thing near the end where she thought she died or something. Maybe I need to rewatch it

No, she lived. Isaacs died and the doppelganger came out. Portman's doppel died and "she" came out, but it's suggested in the final scene that neither her nor her husband are purely either the entity or themselves.

nah. Whole move is about the self destructive cellular nature of human existance. Everyone that went in had nothing to lose... except Portman. She could leave because she was not already resigned to die.