Great movie but they should've left those monkeys on the cutting room floor

Great movie but they should've left those monkeys on the cutting room floor.
What did you think of Ad Astra.

Attached: ad astra poster.jpg (509x755, 58K)

Other urls found in this thread:

docdro.id/0l1OqCb
worldofreel.com/blog/2019/9/ad-astra-had-reshoots-without-james-grays-approval
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

the plot was horrible. it wasn't good. the only thing that saved it were the visuals and cinematography

There was only one monkey you fuckers and they weren't a problem. It was a one minute scene in a fucking 2 hours movie and you're still sperging.

Just came home from cinema. It's a really good film that's frustrating because it could have been great. Visually it's absolutely stunning, Pitt is great. He plays similar role as Gosling in First Man and he nails the subtle emotions of his character. The tone and atmosphere are on point. The film has an emotional core which works really well. First 2/3 of the film are pretty much great. The film has some problems, i guess the most noticeable one is the drawn out, spelled out ending. I understood the message, no need to repeat it 20 fucking times. The ending was changed from the script one. In the script his father is dead. There is some stuff with Roy's sister and he is not shown on Earth at all. He is just going towards it, or is in space and it's ambiguous whether he gets back from what i remember. Also the wife/gf is not in the script. So the ending was the biggest problem for me, the message is well intentioned but comes of as corny and try hard. At least it's better than Interstellar. Another problem was the voice over which was partially good and partially bad. Sometimes his thoughts weren't really necessary. It was very Malick-y but it didn't work as well. I didn't mind the monkey. Still it's a very good and impressive film, it's very rare that film which actually has something to say and has interesting character study gets such a huge budget. I would love to James Gray version of the film because i think this version is compromised. Still probably my favourite film of the year along with Il Traditore and Dolor y Gloria. Also it could have been a bit longer, some scenes were cut from the trailer. I also don't understand how can people complain that it was boring, i thought it was very well paced. I would give it 8

It's a huge issue because of the way physics work in space, to "stop" for a rescue mission like that the orbits would've had to be near identical, and the idea that those apes were able to kill everyone (26 IIRC) on that vessel was ludicrous.

It was good, i basically had the same problems as . The ending and voice over really bothered me. Still the best sci fi film of the decade, pretty easily.

>the idea that those apes were able to kill everyone (26 IIRC) on that vessel was ludicrous.
There's nothing ridiculous, i don't remember them mentioning they were 26 and that monkey was fucking savage, it didn't look like a normal ape.

Weren't there 2 monkeys?

Yea, at least 2. The ship had a crew of 26 humans if I remember right.

Why is SPACECOM so creepy and controlling?

Not a terrible re-telling of Apocalypse Now. Still, it left certain plotholes unresolved, which I guess was deliberate. Like, they never figured out where the 26 Vesta personnel went, I doubt 2 baboons killed and ate them all. Also, I admit I'm a bit fuzzy on physics, but using a fission bomb on an antimatter reactor seems like a very bad idea in theory. I wonder if there's now a giant hole in Neptune's rings.

i dont like movies or watch them

what happens in the movie? I like hearing bout it before watching

>populate the Moon and Mars
>corporate scum and nationalism still apply
I got literally mad when they called the Mars location 'Ersa Base, North American sector'.

Also, who /expanse/ here? Tell me that wasn't based Lopez being a suit in the laser communication office. Mars Pride!

Attached: screen-shot-2019-06-05-at-8-41-06-am-1559738526.png (2409x1000, 1.97M)

We could have seen it at the same screening...

Anyways I agree with you completely, though I prefered the ending we got compared with his father being dead.

What did he find on the lima ship if TLJ was dead in the script?

also am I the only one who was pissed off we never found out what motivated TLJ to try to kill the entire planet. some exposition and musing would have been nice on his part, instead he just pretended it was an accident and was senile. it was an irritating let down

any corporation or government who's spending 100 billions of dollars to rocket your ass into space is going to watch you like a hawk. I'm surprised they couldn't remote detonate his ship after he took it over after Mars.

The narration was god awful and probably tacked on, ruined literally everything

wouldnt they just send a whole team of super space soldiers instead of one man? it only took him a few months to get there

>Anyways I agree with you completely, though I prefered the ending we got compared with his father being dead.
I'd like to see the original ending if there is one but the end is kind of ambiguous. His father being alive could all be in his head. The way he apeard to him is very eerie. After all these years alone in hthis box, he should have been a total mess. And the way he just tells him to let him go is very symbolic.

I think the narration was to keep in line with the whole 2001/Apocalypse Now thing the director wanted

Dude TLJ did nothing wrong, he wasn't trying to destroy Earth, he was trying to fixi the antimatter engine that had been sabotaged by his crew.

Anti-climatic

Should have had aliens

Reminded me of Balde Runner theatrical cut. I was surprised by the narration but you have to admit there was not much way to know what Roy was thinking during these narrated moments

>Should have had aliens
Not that kind of movie, user

I've only seen the trailer so far. At first I thought it was a movie in the vein of Interstellar or the like but then it turned into retarded moon buggy mad max.

They didn't know where his father was, he needed to respond back so they could locate him.
Jesus christ

This was what Interstellar attempted to do, this at least partially succeeded.

...dude. they're called african americans now.

He killed his crew because they weren't as crazy committed to finding aliens as he was. Although how the antimatter reactor was damaged, how that was causing electrical storms on earth but hadn't killed TLJ and how they thought nuking the thing wasn't going to destroy the galaxy I don't know.
Yeah I liked the way Pitts character was so withdrawn and only about the mission and I think the movie needed SOMETHING to tell you what was goung through his head. Without the voice over they probably would have needed to have his bitch back on earth getting uppity with his bosses every 10 minutes like with First Man

>he wanted to watch something in the vein of interstellar

Attached: 1546275981339.jpg (396x385, 31K)

thats just one 5 minute scene. which was cool

Link to script?

I'm not saying interstellar is good, I'm saying that's what the marketing made it seem like to me at first.

>retarded moon buggy mad max.
i'm sold

Attached: 1452468635073.jpg (1115x746, 217K)

Normies complain if there's not enought action, normies complain if there's some action, either the buggy chase or the monkey attack. It's like they don't know why they hate the movie.

i wouldnt have minded if it did go in that direction. instead of the soppy father stuff he's sent to the moon/mars to fight space outlaws

Great until the ending, which was weak ass.
>The catastrophic anti-matter surges? >OH IT'S JUST AN ACCIDENT LOL

>His father murdering the entire crew? >OH THEY WERE REVOLTING SUCKS TO BE THEM LOL

zero consequences

Forgot to add: all of these sci fi films drop the ball in the ending. Interstellar, 2049, arrival and that Sandra bullocks film. This was no different. Hopefully eva green's flick will be kino throughout

Yes they tried to market it for pleb audience. Movie is kino.

He basically recorded a message saying that there is no intelligent life and that they want create universe anew. Then he says that they are trying to create a new big bang. They try to return to Earth but can't. They try to assemble new ship from 3-D printer but somehow they fuck up and they destroy some moon nearby and they all get radiation poisoning. Then there is something about character named Francesca who is mentioned in the script 87 times, yet she wasn't in the film. He releases his father's dead body into space. Then record a message for his mother. Then his ship is seen going back to Earth.

Attached: message to mother.jpg (1080x2160, 793K)

how did those devastating surges that killed tens of thousands of people on earth come from a little space station orbiting a planet billions of miles away

the most annoying thing about this film was the contrived plot device in the form of that brown woman, just because they needed some diversity. oh u killed my parents, now u have to do this, here ill help you get a ship

>how did those devastating surges that killed tens of thousands of people on earth come from a little space station orbiting a planet billions of miles away
Because the LIMA project was equipped with an antimatter engine. They abandonned those when they realized they were unstable and dangerous.

Here full script docdro.id/0l1OqCb

Attached: 55848213.jpg (750x736, 83K)

Just another lame attempt by the patriarchy to maintain backwards toxic masculinity.

I was expecting some kind of OMG SPATIAL WARP hullshit when they mentioned antimatter explosions, and I'm happy they didn't do anything wacky with it.

Way fucking better ending, atleast there's an interesting reason behind the life-ending power surges. Does anybody know why they changed it? Pleb audience reactions maybe?

The film tested in 2018, it had some mixed feedback then they added the wife character and later, i think around march they reshot the ending. I think Gray said that it was compromise he was willing to make to release the film. I also read somewhere that there are more things that he was fighting about with the studio. I don't know how reliable that website is but it claims that some other bigger website will cover that story.
worldofreel.com/blog/2019/9/ad-astra-had-reshoots-without-james-grays-approval
Who knows how reliable this is. But it's a fact that the ending was reshot and they did it this year.

Best space/sci-fi film of the decade.

You lost me at 'it's better than Interstellar'...

Attached: naruto-run.jpg (1036x691, 46K)

Dude, I got two words for you: Moon Pirates.

>a lonely monkey forced into space
Guess the metaphor went over your head

The moon stuff was a highlight of the movie , so fuck off pleb

One of the worst movies I've seen in years. Wooden acting from everyone but Pitt, cheesy hamfisted plot devices and "briefings," strange voiceover, zero emotional payoff, bizarre resolution where everything is fixed and Pitt bad has somehow received zero consequences for murdering three people (???)
Just awful. I can't believe you guys liked this one. I agree with the RT audience score which is like 52%

It did look good though

FUCKING TIRED OF MIDDLING SPACE MOVIES

Is this movie worth seeing? Is it just a ripoff of Interstellar?

For a movie with so much bare-faced, blatant exposition, they didn't explain anything about the whole reason for the stupid mission in the first place. Ok Tommy Lee Jones' crew revolted (again apparently) and somehow this caused antimatter pulses (???) from a big radar dish. Ok cool. Great

It's not good

>believing the insane astronaut shutin

I don't think you were supposed to believe the guy who had been marooned for 16 years after killing his crew

All I can say is that the normies in my showing certainly felt bored.

Ending might have maybe dragged a little, and the snippet of him seeing his wife was pushing it (especially when we'd already had a "he was obsessed with life in the universe [TLJ] but he failed to see the one right in my front of him").

So Jones genuinely was trying to fix the surges?