Just watched Game Of Thrones

Are the books any good?

Attached: 51519890_1380176345458815_2782835732160550231_n.jpg (750x749, 79K)

Other urls found in this thread:

medium.com/migration-issues/westeros-is-poorly-designed-3b01cf5cdcaf
reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/7hfayq/how_much_is_a_gold_dragon_worth_spoilers_main/
mindblowing-facts.org/2013/05/in-2002-a-19-years-old-garbage-man-won-15-million-lottery-spent-it-all-on-drugs-gambling-and-prostitutes-now-hes-a-garbage-ma
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

"No!"

How can your first instinct after watching that show be "I want more"

take a wild guess

Attached: god tier writing.png (900x180, 100K)

Based

PLEASE, regardless of your personal opinions, post roaming millennial feet pics

You need a 130 IQ to understand what's actually going on, there are plots within plots. If you are a brainlet, it just reads like a generic fantasy. Thankfully there are people on Youtube that have decoded it. The books are pretty good, all things considered, just the prose is a little bad.

Why the fuck do wh*te people make this face?

Ahem

Attached: 1559016418241.webm (640x742, 969K)

It takes only a room temperature IQ to realize that the books will never be finished. Thank God I stopped midway through ASoS.

The books were so "good" that I stopped being able to read fantasy, and as a result stopped being able to finish books

a 140 actually and you need to insert your head into your anus

i'd wait until it was finished. because the fat lazy fuck will probably die before winds of winter comes out. feel free to check out the 3 Dunk and Egg short stories, they happen a few decades before the show and they're max comfy

Better than the show but not what well read people would consider "good"

Guess again

They're great. The characters are well-written and the plotting is very intricate. Unlike in the later seasons of the show, everything is logical and thought-out.

There was no guess here, chum.

Holy based

>Rhaegar eloping with Lyanna
>Shadow Babies
>Varys
>the economy
>logical
medium.com/migration-issues/westeros-is-poorly-designed-3b01cf5cdcaf

books 1-3 are good.

books 4-5 are bloated and kind of a mess. Read them in the "boiled leather" order, or similar order that merges them into one story.

Even then it's bloated and there's a lot of filler.

Oh come on, they're good definitely better written than the show but they're full of plot holes and bloated

Not really sure what your point is.
>Rhaegar eloping with Lyanna
He loved her and wanted to fulfill the Prince that was Promised prophecy.
>Shadow Babies
It's magic. When I say the series is "logical", I'm just saying it's thought out well and each piece of plot logically emerges from what came before it - not that magic doesn't exist.
>Varys
What about him?
>the economy
What about it?
>muh medium article
Cringe!

What plot holes do you mean?
>bloated
Feast and Dance, sure. I don't mind it that much, other than that it threaten's GRRM's ability to finish the series, but I really don't mind spending more time in Westeros, even if there's some fluff.

the lack of linguistic diversity in westeros has always bothered me. Dorne is said to have a slight accent, and the Free folk have some quirks, but they're thousands of miles apart, before mass media, and otherwise speak the same language? horse shit.

Westeros is socially the size of Britain, not a cocntinent.

>He loved her and wanted to fulfill the Prince that was Promised prophecy.
Nothing stopping either of them from telling anybody.
>It's magic.
The rules of the magic don't make sense.
>What about him?
Varys doesn't make sense, when taking fAegon into account. What were he and Illyrio trying to accomplish?
>What about it?
The economy is infamously nonsensical.
>Cringe!
Not an argument.

it's because George is an Amerifat. Amerifat fantasy settings always have everyone speaking the same language.

Yea Forumsizen here, reminding you all to stop wasting your time with genre fiction.

>it doesn't make sense because it doesn't make sense!
Sorry it wasn't covered in your medium article

She's asian.

If everyone spoke different languages, the plot couldn't happen. Realism sometimes has to be limited when it would break the story.

>from telling anybody
They probably did tell some people - Robert always held that he raped her because he loved Lyanna and lived in denial that she could have loved Rhaegar.
>The rules of the magic don't make sense.
That's what makes it magic, brainlet.
>What were he and Illyrio trying to accomplish?
Put a Targaryen on the Iron Throne. They're tired of waiting for Daenerys (who's sitting in Meereen) and decide to use Aegon instead.
>The economy is infamously nonsensical.
How so?
>Not an argument.
Cringe!

>Are the books any good?
by fantasy standards: yes
by literature standards: not really

The shadow baby was created by R'hllor. Rh'llor really exists and is a literal god of fire. He can create shadows because shadows only exist when there's light, and it evokes a "yin and yang" sort of deal.

better than the show post s1 but you might as well wait for book 6 to start if it even ever gets finished.

I promise that plots happen in Europe and Asia even though everyone speaks different languages.

It's not just fluff, he lost the plot and got out of control with all the plot threads and characters he keeps adding and expanding, there's no way to wrap it all up in 2 books, I doubt he even knows where he's going. He's literally only keeping Arya around with that Faceless man arc cause his wife likes her but how is that gonna connect to anything
>plot holes
Robert not realizing the kids obviously weren't his for one

Everyone has an accent. American, British, French or Dutch. Why don't amerifats grasp this?

Non-argument. Rhaegar and Lyanna telling nobody what they were doing, was contrived bullshit. Varys and Illyrio selling Daenerys to the Dothraki (while gifting her valuable dragon eggs), doesn't make sense when taking fAegon into account. What are the rules of Shadow Babies? Can only people with King's Blood make them? If so, why did Melisandre offer Davos to make one?

pew pew

R'hllor doesn't exist in all likelihood. What Melisandre thinks is the work of the Lord of Light is more likely just blood magic.

But could you retell those plots in a work of fiction as compellingly as GRRM tells ASOIAF?

>Robert not realizing the kids obviously weren't his for one
Robert's a moron who's very good at lying to himself.

cute!

Doing God's work

>But could you retell those plots in a work of fiction as compellingly as GRRM tells ASOIAF?

yeah just have a ligua franca that all the nobles speak. In Europe that has been variously Latin, French, German, or English. In China it's Mandarin usually.

Most of the characters are nobles so it would make sense. I guess Arya would be confused wandering around the Riverlands not speaking Riverspeak, but she's smart she could learn.

eighth post best post

first three are good, the fourth and fifth are god awful

Just calling him a moron is a shit argument, he was an educated noble, top tier general, good at politics and making alliances, led a rebellion against the crown and became king, a moron doesn't get to that level, even a retard in 10 or 15 years would realize the obvious

adding extra languages doesn't improve fiction it just throws up communication problems for the characters which isn't interesting to read.

Never completed the series. Author milked the story.

HBO overemphasized the debauchery.

1-3 then stop

>They probably did tell some people
Whom did they tell?
>That's what makes it magic, brainlet.
I am not calling out ALL the magic, brainlet.
>Put a Targaryen on the Iron Throne. They're tired of waiting for Daenerys (who's sitting in Meereen) and decide to use Aegon instead.
How does selling Daenerys to the Dothraki further that goal? Now they have a fugazi with a dubious claim.
>How so?
How much is a gold dragon worth?

They're better but the ending from the series is the only ending you're going to get so don't bother.

Robert was explicitly said to spend all his time as king drinking and whoring while the Hand did all the actual king work.

multiple smart characters say he was a "better warrior than a king"

he was a dumb dumb who swing hammer good.

>very good at lying to himself
Why would he? He would have loved to start a war over being cucked. The essence of his character is that he is a better warrior than king so a war with the Lannisters, that he fucking despises, including and especially his wife, would have been his wet dream. It is pretty fucking retarded that he of all people doesn't notice the blonde hair when EVERYBODY in his family line has had brown hair.

Yeah. Pretty much the only critiques are it's not in eloquent prose, despite it being written from character perspective and thus intentionally written that way (though there are some fair critiques here).

The books are shit. The first 3 books are kinda solid and follow the good seasons of the show. Despite being "good" the issues are: HOLY FUCK DOES HE LIST FOOD A LOT and DO WE REALLY NEED ALL THESE NAMED CHARACTERS?

Book 4 and 5 are terrible. Basically:
>GRRM wrote himself into a corner because he made the characters ultra young in the book compared to the show because of realism.
>He thought about doing a time skip but didn't.
>Started adding a lot of side characters and stories which barely go anywhere and are boring.
>One of his friends suggested splitting book 4 and 5 by location instead of chronology so some events are happening at the same time in different books.
>Has writers block and has done pretty much every other series and project instead of going back to it.
>Has tied his plot into knots.

I think the thing GRRM does where each chapter is explicitly from one character's perspective is really cool even outside of it being genre fiction. I would like to read more books that take this approach.

Here's a widely known fact that you don't know: ASOIAF started off as a war of the roses historical fiction but an editor told him no one would by that shit. A (female) writer friend of his told him to throw in some dragons and change a few names so he did.

This is why the first couple books are good. He's stealing real history and slapping a few fantasy cliches in there. The farther we get from historical fiction the worse it gets.

I also find it odd that Jaime and Cersei could continue on with their affair for over a decade without anybody finding out (until the beginning of the series, that is). Also, how did Ned have time to father a bastard, and why did nobody find it suspicious that he returned to Winterfell with his sister's corpse and "his" bastard son? The realm took him at his word, even though the myth of Rhaegar raping Lyanna was widespread.

>Westeros is socially the size of Britain, not a cocntinent.
GRRM said Westeros is the Size of South America so it is a continent.

I don't know where you brainlets get this shit to repeat but his publisher made him split book 4(& now 5) down the middle and they're just as good as the other books if you read them in the proper chapter order (of which there are several fan made pdfs).
The only problem with them separated is that cersei and brienne chapters are too frequent and paced poorly/grating.

N+A=J.

R+L=J is for bitches, show sucks.

yeah and if you aren't an Amerifat, that makes no sense. There are very particular historical reasons that North America mostly just speaks 1 or 2 languages. In the rest of the world, for most of history before mass media, the people on the other side of the nearest mountain range have a speech that you find difficult or impossible to understand.

>HOLY FUCK DOES HE LIST FOOD A LOT
have you seen GRRM?

but the best moment of the entire books is Damphair seeing Euron clad in full Valryian steel raising Cthulhu from the depths.

>N+A=J
Nigga, it's 2019. You're in denial.

>if you read them in the proper chapter order (of which there are several fan made pdfs)
Where do you get off calling me a brainlet and then just expressing my point for me.

The split was retarded in how it is done and people shouldn't have to read fan made edits.

AFFC>ASOS>AGOT=ACOK

Attached: gigachad.jpg (1068x601, 65K)

>ASOIAF started off as a war of the roses historical fiction but an editor told him no one would by that shit.
Have you ever read the Hillary Mantel books about Cromwell he goes up the ranks to become an advisor to the King. That shit was popular and even got a tv show.

You might enjoy The Sound and the Fury, As I Lay Dying and Auto da Fé. No easy reads though.

He drank and whored because he was depressed, didn't want the responsibility of being king and he missed Lyanna and hated his life, not because he was retarded. He wasn't just dumb dumb swing hammer he was a commander, he just didn't bother being king. Even if he was dumb he would notice the obvious "all my kids are blonde and there's rumors that jaime and cersei fuck and they're always together"

You're a brainlet because you and many others just repeat these retarded statements verbatim.

Those statements were true.

Attached: 4db[1].png (680x514, 72K)

to be fair he wasn't that great of a commander, kinda got his ass kicked a bit

If the Starks or Baratheons had the Lannisters' luck in the first three books, this would have been a much shorter series.

How is anything I said incorrect?

Only a couple times, he's not the best but he's good my pint is you need to be pretty competent to be a leader like him

Go stuff your fan made pdf's up your ass. You treat an author's work as it is published. What do I care what the fat hack intended, he could have easily persisted on the right publishing order if he wasn't such a spineless, lazy fart.

yeah, once, but he won all the important battles.

Hi Lauren. You're too good for this place. Leave.

>yeah and if you aren't an Amerifat, that makes no sense. There are very particular historical reasons that North America mostly just speaks 1 or 2 languages

But user you do know that there are *mostly just 1 or 2 languages* spoken in South America too right? Right?

>economy makes no sense
>leaders are literal morons and their plans don't make sense
>almost everyone speaks the same language
>magic doesn't make any sense
WTF!?

Attached: Earth-Western-Hemisphere.jpg (2048x2048, 550K)

There is no magic in real life, and a dollar costs a dollar in the United States.

test

genetics and technology are our magic

>fictional story can be meaningless like real life

Then the word "magic" is meaningless.

>There is no magic in real life
Pic related
>and a dollar costs a dollar ((in the United States.))
A golden dragon costs a golden dragon

Attached: giphy.gif (320x240, 2.13M)

uh yeah

>a-at least the books were good though
"No!"
The writing is dreadful; the book was terrible. As I read, I noticed that every time a character went for a finishing blow, the author wrote instead that the character "put all his weight into his sword"

I began marking on the back of an envelope every time that phrase was repeated. I stopped only after I had marked the envelope several dozen times. I was incredulous. Martin’s mind is so governed by cliches and dead metaphors that he has no other style of writing. Later I read a lavish, loving review of A Song of Ice and Fire by the same Frank Herbert. He wrote something to the effect of, "If these kids are reading ASOIAF at 11 or 12, then when they get older they will go on to read Dune." And he was quite right. He was not being ironic. When you read "A Song of Ice and Fire" you are, in fact, trained to read Dune.

Attached: 2A68CCA1-1339-4C20-8365-277F0A0D7DE1.jpg (620x413, 31K)

Thats from the viewpoint of a 15 year old

god i hate this harry potter copypasta

>robert
Multiple people say he doesnt like to face the truth, like lyanna not loving him

I mean it's the same particular reasons: rapid colonization/genocide that occurred right before the invention of mass media solidified and unified things.

>lannister luck
Stupid Yea Forums and Yea Forums meme.

>A golden dragon costs a golden dragon
reddit.com/r/asoiaf/comments/7hfayq/how_much_is_a_gold_dragon_worth_spoilers_main/
One poster:
>IIRC, in one of the Dunk and Egg stories, Ser Duncan thinks to himself that a common-born skilled laborer might earn three gold dragons in a year, if the year was a good one.
>Three gold dragons for a full year's worth of skilled labor seems to indicate that an individual gold dragon is worth quite a lot.
Another poster:
>He doesn't standardize [currency]. That doesn't mean it's minutiae. It's how we end up with Anguy winning 10,000 dragons at the Tourney of the Hand yet managing to spend it all on wine and hookers, whereas at other points a handful of dragons is treated as an enormous amount of money. Consistency would be nice.

>everybody hates the Lannisters
>they still win anyway because everybody else attacks each other of self-implodes
>Yea Forums meme
Cope.

No, don't give that fat son of a bitch a dime until he actually finishes his series. You're a fool otherwise

Nice bait

>everybody else attacks each other of self-implodes
this isn't luck

What bait is there? It's literally what happened in the books. Dorne and The Vale didn't even jump in against the Lannisters, so they would win. There are too many factors that coincidentally ended up in the Lannisters' favor.
It absolutely is luck. The Lannisters got by through things that were completely out of their control.

Yea they're good. Fuck this bitch tho for being House Martel. Bunch of fags

>rapid colonization/genocide
So the same thing that happened in Westeros

mindblowing-facts.org/2013/05/in-2002-a-19-years-old-garbage-man-won-15-million-lottery-spent-it-all-on-drugs-gambling-and-prostitutes-now-hes-a-garbage-ma

Stick to reviewing tv/films lads.

Anguy didn't have 10 years to blow his fortune, so your example is poor. He had a few months to a year at most.

they're not high brow literature, but they're interesting and the characters have good arcs and the story threads lead in interesting directions
worth checking out imo

Attached: Call the Banners.jpg (2048x656, 557K)

>Gee, Jon! How come your mom lets you have FOUR banners?

Thats not luck, thats life. Each character has their own perspective and motives and the outcomes are determined by this. George goes into great detail to explain those motives, I honestly dont know what else you could ask for in a novel.

Protistutes are legal in Westeros, so your example is poor

>Thats not luck, thats life.
The two aren't mutually exclusive, first of all. Second, I could ask for a less contrived explanation for the Lannisters coming out ahead.
>Protistutes are legal in Westeros, so your example is poor
Who argued that prostitutes weren't legal in Westeros?

I suggesting that legal prostitution would lead someone to spend around 10 times as much on prostitutes than they normally would be able to

That's a whole lot of conjecture on your part.

Its a story, somebody had to come out ahead for there to be drama. You sound like an idiot.

>Its a story, somebody had to come out ahead for there to be drama.
My argument wasn't just that the Lannisters came out on top, dullard. Do try and keep up.