Stellan Skarsgard Says Denis Villeneuve Had “Pretty Free Hands” Directing ‘Dune’

>"It’s fun when you get one of those big sci-fi movies and you know it’s going to be directed by a true filmmaker. It’s not going to be directed by the studio. It seemed like they were giving him pretty free hands. And you have to, because his personal stamp on the film is paramount for the success of it.”

Also extremely fat prosthetic Baron confirmed, 7 hours in make-up every day to get him beyond degenerate fat, as he should be.
Kino back on the menu

collider.com/dune-movie-details-stellan-skarsgard/

Attached: kino confirmed.jpg (634x550, 114K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=KuBSvNtlAq8&feature=youtu.be
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

villeneuve is a jobber, he could have been hogtied and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.

also

>boo hoo i sat in a dressing room for a few hours and earned 100x more than people who did the actual work on me

>he could have been hogtied and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.
Hard disagree, you can always recognize a Villeneuve film by the cyclical exponential tension building between scenes (also thanks to his editor Joe Walker) and the meditative focus on visual storytelling.
If BR2049 was made by the studio it would be a 2 hour quipfest with a comedic relief character and a Hollywood happy ending.
>boo hoo i sat in a dressing room
It's a good sign that actual prosthetics are used instead of just CGI as it is with most capeshit flicks today.

Teaser when

>It’s not going to be directed by the studio. It seemed like they were giving him pretty free hands.
Why would the studio interfere when the only reason they gave villeflick this big reddit franchise is because they know that he will never do anything actually interesting or provocative that might jeopardize their profit margins
also
>collider
literally kys you fucking retard

if br2049 was made by a studio it would be banking on a movie that does not need a sequel in order to cash in the nostalgiabux

oh wait it was actually made by a studio
how nice of them to give another multi billion franchise to someone who surely isn't a jobber but an auteur

Tbh I love the Dune books but objectively it's garbage. I'm hoping Villenueve works some magic like his other movies and makes Dune actually enjoyable.

Can't wait for zoomershill threads trying to downplay how better Lynch's Dune is

youtube.com/watch?v=KuBSvNtlAq8&feature=youtu.be

Based. Acting is a pathetic occupation and actors should be paid as much if not less than the technical artists who do the lighting, sets, costumes, props, and makeup. Them being paid more is a false valuation being perpetuated by studios to create the concept of “stars” and continue the hype for celebrities and merchandising around then. In reality these “stars” are as good as janitors and should be spat upon on sight.

>never do anything actually interesting or provocative
Dune itself is extremely provocative and it has been confirmed multiple times now that Villeneuve is going absolutely by the book. It will be trigger both sjw twitter keyboard warriors and /pol/ simultaneously.
> hat might jeopardize their profit margins
Anything that is not two spandex characters quipping and shooting red and blue lasers at each other while a trendy pop song is playing is "jeaoparidizing their profit margins" in todays world.

>that does not need a sequel
Ridley and Fancher the writer of the first BR both made the core story for BR2049 literally decades ago and have been planning to do it since ever. All of this was Ridley's idea, he just wasn't able to direct it when the time came because he was busy making Alien prequel sequels so he found what he considered the best man for the project who was Villeneuve.
The implication that BR2049 was made by the studio is absurd, no big studio of today would have 15 minute long sequences with no dialogue at all but pure visual storytelling if it was made by them.

Stellan Skarsgard is a cool name.

>Stellen laughs and casually states he had 7 hours of makeup to look like the Baron
>This is enought to make jelly brainlets seethe and sperg out

>Stellan Skarsgard Says Denis Villeneuve Had “Pretty Free Hands” Directing ‘Dune
I thought it was a #metoo shit at first lol

this

Fucking kek user, now that's a story.

>objectively it’s garbage
Okay brainlet. Considering your opinion isn’t objective and it’s hailed as one of the greatest sci fo novels of all time further shows how much of a dunce you are

So it's gonna be even more of a boring shitpile than 2049? Good to know.

based mental midget capekiddie zoomer

Cry more Reddit Film Bro

Anyone who watched Dangerous Days knows that the scenario was doctored by a legion of brainless hacks. Ridley is a fucking moron in his old age, his social messages are devolved to Villeneuve tier nonsense.

>All of this was Ridley's idea
HAHAHAHAHHA kill yourself you dumb son of a whore. That old senile altzheimer demented pants shitting self-felating fuck peaked out 40 years ago.
Prometheus and Alien Covenant is what happens if it's "all Ridley's idea".

>Ridley and Fancher made the core concepts
>Fancher wrote the screenplay
>Green finished it
>then Villeneuve pruned half of it and made his own film
Read the BR2049 script and see how much garbage Villeneuve dumped or how he translated literal exposition from the script into pure visual language.
The ending is the best example, what we got in the film is ten times better than the eye roll cheesy narration ending from the script, while here it's no words at all, literal visual storytelling.

Attached: Blade.Runner.2049.02_31_50.jpg (3840x1600, 2.12M)

Not even Lynch likes Lynch's Dune. It had some fantastic moments but that's about it.

THIS. Based French Canadian fucker he is.

>the part where he checks for joi's eminator but only finds his stab wound

Attached: benis.png (290x174, 19K)

Will Dune trounce Tenet at the box-office and prove once and for all that Denis is the true blockbuster genius and not Nolan?

It was a travesty that Dunkirk made 525 million dollars while 2049 flopped.

Doubt it, Nolan is an industry God who never made a film that is not critically or financially successful or not loved by the audience. The man doesn't know what a flop is.

thought this was some #metoo shit at first

yeah

Jesus dude did an actor steal your gf?

my body is not now nor shall it ever be ready

All this means is if it's shit they can pin it on him entirely

Only good things about it were Toto's kïno soundtrack and Virginia Madsen as Irulan

same

Surrender.

>alt-zheimer
has it something to with /pol/

lol you must be an actor to think up such fantasies

is this a #metoo thing?

>“What he’s really good at is creating this strange atmosphere with his imagery and this cinematic poetry that is his trademark and that will add so much richness to the pretty simple story.”
>pretty simple story.

Attached: 1535370702153.png (1922x1058, 2.06M)

>but with love

Its not even his Dune though, the cut that was released is butchered harder than the theatrical cut of Kingdom of Heaven.

Sting as Feyd was magic

Childhood is idolizing actors
Adolescence is realizing that the crew does harder work for less pay
Adulthood is understanding that pay is determined purely by your replaceability and how much money you bring in, not your effort

Attached: IMG_20190619_175824.png (687x500, 254K)

he's right you know

Attached: 1552345284082.jpg (1020x767, 125K)

This is a child's view of things
Actors get paid as much as they do not because what they do is hard, but because they draw audience and have a higher market value than a technician
Would anyone in the public give a shit if even the fucking director of a movie starring Robert Downey Jr changed? Do you honestly expect literally anyone would care who the lights guy is? If they ask to pay more than their relative value, the production will just get another one
The same is of course true for actors, but their relative value is much higher, especially when one is a big name, regardless of talent
It.s the way of the market, if you're asshurt by it then stop going to movies starring big name actors and start threads or whatever shilling for lights guy #3

It's not garbage, but the two things I will say are that God Emperor is severally overrated and reading the series recently makes you realize how much shitty, post apocalyptic YA novels stole from it.

>Legendary reportedly has high hopes for an epicDunefranchise including the movie, the show, comic books, video fames and digital content packages
>video fames
I swear they just shit articles out as fast as they can, no one checks anything

Everything can be reshot nowadays with minimal effort and CG.

well clearly this can't since it takes an entire working day just to make Skarsgard an obese landwhale ready to then be filmed

>Stellan Skarsgard Says Denis Villeneuve Had “Pretty Free Hands” Directing ‘Dune’
WB is desperate for a success

aside from nolan they have fucking nothing...

Next spring probably

>says the tripfag

It probably can but Denis is a practicalfag
Remember how much of BR2049 was practicals?

Yup.

Attached: 1511446180567.jpg (1440x900, 275K)

>hype perpetuated by money
>people buy hype
>no dude their income is because of the people hype!

Typical American not understanding root cause analysis

t. spic

lol thanks now I know your fears

I'm not American, I just found out you replied to me through
I filter all namefags and tripfags don't take it seriously

The fucking maniac

Yeah usually find out about these things after they happen. Thanks for another astute observation my “non” American friend!

Ψωφα ρε παλιοπλεμπα

lol only in an anglos mind does this kind of shit look like a proof. No international needs to speak their language to prove shit to anyone.

he's european

dishonest piece of shit

What a stupid headline. Makes it sound Like Villanova got me tooed. The phrase is "a free hand".

Pretty free hands can be interpreted the wrong way pretty easily. She's setting up to Me too him if the movie is a massive success.

Enlish is his third languague you idiott

All I wanna know is why did they cast zendaya as chani and not ana de arnas?

>Yes daddy King, give it to me, fuck my cunt! Put a baby in me!

Attached: 4a995bb3d4b0caf60cca7b5272279a18.jpg (800x1146, 117K)

>villeneuve is a jobber, he could have been hogtied and you wouldn't be able to tell a difference.
BASED
Scholastic director BTFO

He's been in hollywood for 40 years+ you pleb. And what's that got to do with using his engrish as a headline? My first thought was that he'd been autistically fondling the make up girl or some shit.

antonio banderas is the same and still has his spanish accent and makes mistakes in engish. he was married to melaniea,an american his daughter is dakota jonson who also speaks perfect engsih he's been around engishi people for four decaudes and still can't perfect the languagie. probably in swedish what he meant has more sence

>Pretty Free Hands

Attached: box of pain.jpg (1285x965, 258K)

If you were to believe in relativism youd understand that comparisons can only be made from fixed viewpoints, but life, ever in motion blurs these lines into what was and what is. In other words, dune is a product of its time and great but now seems cliche and pedantic from the viewpoint of modern story telling. Would you believe that once people ran screaming in terror from seeing black sabbath live?

>more sence
>sence

Attached: 20190818121158_1.jpg (800x600, 114K)

sadly that won't happen. Nolan is a certified shit fly magnet.
he has a normie sense for what normies gobble up.
He is the Hacks & The Feebleminded guy. He is the downie among the potato counters. That's his whole trick.
Denis "The Menace" Villeneuve is 7 tiers above him as an artist and too cerabral and demanding for the normal shit eating consumer.

They have JJ now kek

This puto... He's worst than Shawn Mendes

Who's the artist? Seen that style before.

make fun of me im dislexyxc and enighs ish not my fiarst languague but ok if it mkaes you happy makng fun of peoplele with disaibilietis it's speaks more about your character than mes

Trying too hard. Ruined your larp.

/thread

you can live 40 years in sweden you will naevr will a natural sweadihs spekaer unless you're skillend in laguagues or you leive as a child in said country like viggo mortensen

Some Frenchman i think, behind the dune.

calm down beaner

Not only that but Dune is the antithesis of normie content. He STARTS the book as an almost godlike hero. Zero relatability for normans.

>BTFO's the Bene Gesserit
>Marries princess as a power move
>Keeps qt Fremen gf
Paul is too based for normies.

imagine zero marketing budget movies: flick is created, people see it. Some flicks have faces that people like to see. Time passes. Now it's clear that flicks with some faces bring in more money than flicks without those faces. Through some trial and error you pinpoint the exact face that gives you an additional income boost. You give this face a name. people like that face so much that they want to listen about their personal lives and buy the products that the face shills to them. face recieves so much offers that, in order to stand out, certain studios offer more money to the face, others begin to do the same, offers reach a cap that is both high but not so high that bringing in the face won't make financial sense. the star is born (tm)
All of this to say that yes, lots of shitheads get artificially pushed in our consciousness, sequel wars especially stand out at that, but studios marely accelerate the process and choose unworthy candidates for it, the concept of a "star" still stands, even if people weren't interested in the gossip the concept would stand.

>7 hours in make-up every day
damn is it that hard?

how long did fat bastard take? that looked fine

Actors are almost always the draw for people to go and see a movie. Rarely does a franchise or a director have enough pull to put asses into seats and the movie business has always been one of the most ruthlessly profit-driven businesses in history.

Also, pretending like this is an exclusively American phenomenon is just intellectually dishonest of you. It's not as if entertainment based industries in other countries are magically devoid of the profit motive -- they're not and they're typically just as, if not more, corrupt than our industries here.

you know what I am reading Dune Messiah and I do not care for it
every Paul scene is him thinking to himself "oh gee oh gosh this Jihad isn't cool at all, but I can't stop it because the Fremen will jihad anyway, I hate ruling the universe"
And you're like well maybe you shouldn't have formed the Fremen into a superpowered army of religious fanatics and used them to take over the universe you fucking idiot
And Irulan is just moany, Chani is boring. everyone is just shit.

>maybe you shouldn't have formed the Fremen into a superpowered army of religious fanatics
He did not do that.

Well through him they learned the weirding way from Jessica, making them even more OP in combat, and I don't think they'd have been much bothered taking the fight to the emperor without Paul there. They were perfectly content to just wait a few hundred years in the south for the terraforming to take hold before Paul came along.

I re-read Dune recently and one think hit me really hard, Fremen had that ritual where they recounted all the people who wronged them, drove them from one planet to another. And they repeated it every day, I think several times a day. They held a GIGANTIC grudge against the rest of the world. Fostered by Missioneria Protectiva, no doubt.

Feyd will be played by Bill Skarsgard
congratulations to the family

Fantastic news desu, groping scenes will feel real

>It's a good sign that actual prosthetics are used
why though?

They got the wrong son. Alex is the adonis type that Feyd is meant to be, not Bill.

My sides.

Alex is way too old and Bill looks like Alex

Because CGI looks like shit, dumbass.

villeneuve is fucking garbage

do you really believe that? what drew you to a Yea Forums board if you don't like actors? would you watch a movie if it was 90 minutes of lit up sets and scenery? without the actor there is no movie. if there were just as many people who could be compelling actors as there were people who were capable of building sets or being makeup artists, then the actor's wage would be lower. however, people who are telegenic and good at acting are more rare-- there is less supply, so higher demand, and higher wages.

Arrival
1/10
A dreary, morose Close Encounters

The aliens have arrived. And they are – Holy Calamari People, Batman! – giant squid. The giant squid communicate in writing by shooting magical retractable ink out of their tentacles onto a transparent wall. It's up to linguist Amy Adams to decipher their communication before the other crazy countries in the world try to blow up everything.

The Calamari People, who float in a room of steam, write in circles – which is apparently how they experience time. Without a beginning or end. They can see their lives in their entirety. And the Calamari People are here to give humanity a gift, we find out: Once you unlock their language and become fluent, you will experience time in the circular way they do.

From the lack of character and character development to the way the story unfolds, the movie is like watching a real-time long shot of a grave digger digging a grave on the grayest of all days. It's morose and filled with dread. Monotone and monotonous. Shovel after shovel after shovel, and he never seems like he is getting anywhere.

The entire pic is filled with "music" that is just a bunch of low hums that underscore the dread and monotone. It doesn't give us a clue to how we should be feeling. And that's why I go to the movies, to feel. How about awe at seeing the spaceships? The joy and celebration of the first breakthrough of communication? Nope, we get tedium and low bassy hums.

Jeremy Renner plays a physicist who doesn't do any physics, and he nicknames the two Calamari People we see Abbott & Costello. Although you can't tell them apart, Abbott becomes my favorite character in the movie because he gets to die midway through and doesn't have to suffer through the rest of the film. Lucky Abbott.

Throw in voiceovers and flashbacks that we find out are really flashforwards because time is actually circular to Amy Adams, and you have a film that yearns to be so much more than the real-time gravedigging than it is.

I know Alex is too old, but bill is too average looking.

Bill looks like an evil clown

>xtremely fat prosthetic Baron confirmed
I hope they dont make him cartoonish like David Lynch version, which ruined him. He is supposed to be a aristocrat drunk on power and focused expanding his dutchery. He might be ugly, but that is hardly the focus of his character.
He has like 2 lines in the book about how you have to have an appetite to rule, which is mostly (but not completely) meant as metaphor

Attached: snail3.jpg (640x456, 28K)

>..he rubbed his protruding lips with a beringed hand, stared down at Feyd-Rautha through fat-enfolded eyes.”
>“ 'You are awake,' rumbled a basso voice...The fat cheeks were two cherubic mounds beneath spider-black eyes.”
>“Leto watched the fat hands, the glittering jewels on baby-fat hands”
>“...turning his baby-fat face toward Feyd-Rautha...”
He's fat alright, no "metaphor" here

Not to mention Denis pulled the best performance we've seen out of Harrison Ford in 20 years.

That's no small accomplishment.. That dude doesn't care about ANYTHING.. And he showed up and showed out on BR2049

>Dune is a reddit franchise
Cringe

>He might be ugly, but that is hardly the focus of his character
No, the focus of the character is that he could have been beautiful. That's the point of all the Harkkonens, they're humanities wasted potential. If the Baron wasn't a hedonistic predator, if Feyd had been raised with an honor code instead of base pragmatism then they could have been something more than nightmare fuel.

>I will hold later works copying an original against the original
Truly the sign of a massive fucking brainlet.

At its core, Dune is a simple story.
It's everything surrounding that core that complicates things, but not by much, unless you're a mouthbreathing retard.

the metaphor is literal but the message it is ment to convey he is a bad ruler corrupted by power who seeks endless expansion and power and domination of others, and he considers this natural. The David Lynch version completely missed this message. The contrast is the Duke Leto who does things like orders the nobles to stop pouring out water at state dinners as a show of power. And cares more about the workers than the spice harvester machine

Attached: snail4.jpg (640x480, 40K)

>the best performance we've seen out of Harrison Ford in 20 years.

Grandpa walked around in a tshirt and said his lines without emotion. I guess he seemed less bored than usual. Is that your bar?

CGI can look good just like prosthetics can look bad. It all depends in whether or not effort is put in, the reason CGI in most big movies now looks unconvincing as fuck is because they just hand it off to a third party and don't put any more thought into it. There was plenty of CGI in BR2049 and it all looked great.

Attached: Blade_Runner_2049_VFX_Breakdown_DNEG_2.webm (960x540, 2.42M)

Harrsion ford actually likes the character.
He likes indian jones too
but hates han solo

Not him but people generally cream themselves over God Emperor often calling it the best in the series or at the very least on par with the first book.

so what I am trying to say is if you make his obesity too cartoonishly large you will lose the message

Attached: snail5.jpg (640x383, 27K)

I was talking about the copying YA novels.
And God Emperor is on par with the first book.

>a smog filled city at night in the rain created by computer looks great
Wow, who would have thought.

yep, forgot about Feyd-Rautha, was based. Hope they go for the same overall look in memeneuve's version

Right I misread your post. It's pretty late so I'm starting to fuck up.