AD ASTRA WAS AWFUL

How this movie was so critically praised is beyond me. Did anyone here even enjoy this steaming pile of pretentious shit? The backdrop of the this movie (space, science fiction) is the only thing holding it up. The core story is unbelievable stupid and executes an exhausted story trope. "Love is the answer."

The filmmakers baited people like me who seek answers to life's biggest questions and end it with "there was nothing to look for, it was always in front of you".

1/10 movie. If you want to see the exact same movie -- about existentialism and human connection, the better alternative is Blade Runner 2049. Same themes, similar plot. Doesn't tell you should feel something through voice over and instead shows you. In the end the message is true and clear - life is meaningless, might as well do something - instead of - how could i have not seen it love is everything. Have you done meth? Love is chemical delusion.

blade runner 2049 vs ad astra
reality vs delusion

Attached: 94fad988f1ef08a1c1ebfcb0651c9c11.png (764x329, 216K)

>pretentious
Brainlet detected
>Blade Runner 2049
The whole "twist" is explained through flashback because Villeneuve thinks that you forgot he ever met her after more than 2 hours of the film.

The final third was the weakest part of it, Fox probably made Gray change it
Presumably in the original he headed out there, found his dad's corpse, and then either died onboard the Lima Project in the blast or drifted out into space to his eventual death

Yes, the ending was changed.

unfortunately i have to confirm that you are the brainlet because your telling me that somehow a movie that explains everything through voice over is better than a movie that explains everything through actual action.

ad astra is all over the place. it slaps those in the face who sacrifice things, even family to advance our knowledge and understanding of the world and beyond.

unlike blade runner keeps the tension going through the whole movie and keeps you asking questions. ad astra is about a guy whining about his daddy issues

the whole point of the movie was to let go of wonder and curiousity for the sake of the experience right here at home. if that ending happened it would've made the movie pointless actually

the whole theme behind the movie is terrible. how can you showcase all of this spectacular space imagery and then shame it in the end

Most of James Gray’s other films usually have some tragic component to them, the hopeful ending of the final version seems almost at odds with that. The wife along with most of the other crew members felt like reshoot additions too.

I was talking about your use of pretentious you moron. That's brainlet tier word, usually used by people who didn't get the film they are criticizing.
What questions were you asking during Blade Runner 2049?

Why did so many people see this? Sci fi with big names almost always suck shit

Because James Gray is kino.

You only like BR2049 because it reminds you of /r9k/

The leaks from the Russian guy were warning you that this movie is going to be a pile of shit, but you didn't listen.

Attached: ED_Mk1LW4AEkytI.jpg (744x842, 259K)

I'm a space nerd, how's the scientific accuracy in this?

there is none
i mean, they wear the spacesuits and don't do superman scenes where they are in space breathing, but other than that...

people are praising it as the most scientifically accurate actually

People, not scientists. Some layman see the picture of rocket, picture of moon surface and think - this is scientifically correct!
But when it comes to main plot, means of travel and communication, nuances and details - it all falls apart if you look as a scientist

>if you look as a scientist
lmao user you're a weeb neet don't be ridiculous

Sounds like a great film, will watch it in theaters this weekend then

None. Villeneuve thought the audience too stupid to figure things out for themselves. So he made sure our heads were well and truly smashed in with the subtlety sledgehammer.

BASED AND 2049-PILLED.

Attached: 1505339818762.jpg (700x700, 32K)

>unnecessary flashbacks
literally the only flaw in that movie that comes to mind. If a 9.5/10 is bad then good luck to you my nig

Attached: 1553735949327.jpg (957x745, 124K)

The audio flashbacks are like 45 seconds of the near 3 hour runtime. There are 15 minute long sequences with literally no dialogue at all, just pure visual storytelling so your point is a bit silly.

OP is a low IQ brainlet. This was a good movie. The only thing that detracted from it was the wife subplot which was barely in the movie to begin with. For a kino such as this, the cliche "left my wife behind and she's upset at me" plot doesn't deserve to be in this. Either go all out kino or don't. Also, no meme plot twists here. Movie has more in common with Apocalypse Now than 2001: A Space Odyssey and I like that. The movie plays it straight and does what it sets out to do. 8/10 for me. Now I just want a director's cut. Some shots and dialogue from the trailers weren't in the movie. So either they were deleted or there is an alternate cut before the final cut. Either way, I'd like to see it.

Attached: 1511778648895.png (727x582, 187K)

The wife stuff was added after first test screening, she wasn't in the script.

I knew it looked like shit

Typical bitches complaining about the lack of women because EVERYTHING has to be about them.

>dude it's like Apocalypse Now in space because the protagonist is sent on a mission to find a person

I was told this was supposed to be a better executed interstellar. All I got was boring cringe. Didn't like the theme of the movie as well.

brainlet detected, the comparisons were glaringly obvious.

>because the protagonist is sent on a mission to find a person
It's not just that. The two movies are also structured similarly. The characters face some obstacles and then they reach a point where they are all alone and no one can follow them anymore. And the third act is very subdued and toned down in terms of intensity compared to the rest of the movie. And it has voice over narration too. I mean, have you even seen it if you're complaining about something as trivial as this?