What happened to epics?

What happened to epics?

Attached: Peter-OToole-Lawrence-of-Arabia-David-Lean.jpg (1600x1067, 256K)

The strong, silent types?

Avengers Endgame came out a few months ago

CGI

Avengers isn't enough for you?

this happend

Attached: BEC16854-CAFB-42CA-884F-80627B3FB739.jpg (220x326, 23K)

What is Infinity War & Endgame

kids stopped reading them and turned to comic books

look at how awful he looks even in this picture. "epics" were never really much more than jewish pedophiles lusting over men covered in mascara. forget this.

They don't make em like they used to

Attached: 251543525-justintrudeau_brownface-wjpg_large.jpg (800x535, 87K)

You just know he fucked all of them while wearing that hat.
FUCKING BASED

Save that shit for the sequel.

they overuse cgi nowadays, but Avengers, Dune and the Avatar sequels can be considered Epic films.

That movie was not bad but it's not an epic, it's a cartoon

those two things aren't mutually exclusive.

We're talking about actual epics not reddit epic.

Batman v Superman then

Capeshit movies are really epics. Epic needs to have a massive scale. Make the hero seem small against the world.
In capeshit the heroes are larger than life figures. Almost godlike.
Maybe a Batman flick since he isn't really a superhero.

star wars would also probably qualify

Attached: big think.jpg (349x193, 9K)

Went away when cell phones and internet arrived. Short attention spans.

Most epics were shit though. You can count the good ones on one hand. The bigger tragedy is that they stopped making historical dramas like Becket, Lion in the Winter, A Man for all Seasons etc.

We're too far removed from the world that they were all based on. Most are content with the imaginary and "lore."

i tried watching a man for all seasons like 8 times. why can't i get into it? i am obsessed with medieval period pieces.

Better question: why don’t movies have intermissions anymore like Lawrence of Arabia did?

they do in italy and other countries i assume.

only faggots and sailors are named Lawrence

Star wars 1977 was practically the first super hero movie. Dude learns how to use telekinesis. Essentially, Professor x super powers.

too expensive to make with no guarantee of box office success. essentially why the new hollywood era ended and how we ended up w cookie cutter blockbuster movies

idk user

Attached: WarAndPeace_1-1600x900-c-default (1).jpg (1600x900, 224K)

In my opinion it's the most brilliantly written historical film. And Paul Scofield adds a lot of intensity to every scene scene. I've rewatched the interrogation and trial scenes numerous times. But I don't know, maybe you just lack the contempt for prottie scum necessary to truly appreciate it.

/thread

Idiots would rather watch capeshit

Attached: p35756_v_v8_an.jpg (960x1440, 367K)

>prottie
had to look that up. i guess you are british? thanks for your response. i'll give it another go.

any other medieval period pieces? the other two I haven't seen either, but I know T. E. Lawrence (I know not really him) plays Becket.

Epics always have Classical or religious elements. The modern audience doesn't care for history, tradition, legacy, or religion.

you have no idea what an epic is

Mostly died in the 80s in favour of more easily digestible 2 hour blockbusters. There have been some that have been made since, like the Lord of the Rings series or indeed even something like Naan v Superman or the two new Avengers movies but they're all more like the juvenile genre version of that kind of movie.

Are you from the future or something?

fuck off back to tv manchild.

MY WOMB!

Too much money, not enough return. Hollywood would never allow such a thing on purpose.

Not unless Cecille B. DeMille has something to say about it.
Avatar may count since you have Man vs Tech/Nature going in on it. Infinity War/Endgame are not epics. They lack stakes and those stakes are not built upon a character during the course of the movie. It has scale and ambition but their character arcs fell flat most of the time than succeed.

Unironically based... Trudeau is the biggest Chad of our time

adhd generation
ask a zoomer what an intermission is

Ebin

Epics are boring, if i wanted story id read a damn book. Just give me awesome fights and space ships and shit, fucking loved ENDGAME by MARVEL and STA WARS by DISNEY

>zoomer thinks epics are high brow
God, your generation is shit.

They dont make enough money and they are hard to make

Almost thought that was Trudeau for a second

Nothing, they're still around

Attached: p07j5b4n.jpg (640x360, 50K)

not possible with the add generation

Ummm, no sweetie

No one cares about libruls bein the reel racists poltard

Yeah you got a lot to say in this thread, have nothing to say in the other where I showed you to your face that you’re a hopeless retard. Yeah you wish life went on, don’t think I don’t recognize you, your retardation is distinctive.

based

Studios realised 90 minutes was the ideal runtime for money making.

Think again

Attached: 763.jpg (763x557, 67K)

What defines an epic? I would like to write something like that

Attached: tumblr_p9qe2qp9CZ1sndzdgo1_1280.jpg (1024x768, 330K)

3-ish hour (or more) historical war drama

whats to the right that would make them all look that way but mr main character

It's fine, it's not for everyone. I personally couldn't get into it despite being really into Tudor history because of how much everything felt like a pageant. The sets are beautiful, the costumes lovely, and some of the shots rather grand in scale, but there's a heavy-handedness to the writing that, based on the film's stage origins, results in scenes where it seems like a scene momentarily stops to let the audience applaud the moral of the moment as it is delivered.

Marvel movies are the modern epics. Hollow, empty, overblown, over budgeted, way too long films existing only to make maximum money for the studio. Absolutely epic.

/thread

It's like an hour long. There's not much to it. Political authority changes, religious dude doesn't go with the flow. I think it's more about how authority can be very distant and is colored more by who your immediate superiors are than who the top dog is. The story is spoken about as a disagreement with the King but it's depicted as more of a local spat.

Gaugamela is the best battle put on film.

>reddit epic.
lel

lmao underrated & checked

Based.

CALIGULA...DO YOU THINK THIS BOY HAS BEEN DRINKING LATELY?

Prometheus is the modern day Lawrence of Arabia

You have to go back to .

I might have the definition wrong but The Place Beyond the Pines had sort of 'micro-epic' feel to it

Attached: hero_EB20130403REVIEWS130409991AR.jpg (1200x500, 44K)

The LOTR trilogy qualifies in my opinion.

Attached: 5560e2_088442031d204c2bbecfe8fbb6a86dc9~mv2.jpg (1452x701, 252K)

Yeah, this was the last epic.

Projecting

Much like modern architecture, there are no patrons with stupid amounts of cash to spend on making quality.
Those with cash are soulless kikes anyway, and do you really want them to start making more things?

I make the family watch this fine film every July 4th.

Attached: images.jpg (290x174, 11K)

gotta go a few decades back to get the best

Attached: ran.jpg (673x456, 79K)

Based and freedompilled

Most Epics were made by private money and a want to make something groundbreaking.
Now days people just want to make money and have lost the care to make something artful.

They are two big piles of shit

What about:
>Master and Commander
>Passion of the christ

Cringe and plebpilled

too long

second post best post as always

My biopic hasn't came out yet

>Apocalypto 2006
>The Revenant 2015
That's all I can think of. Nobody wants to really go through the trouble to make movies like that anymore, especially when most studios get nervous enough as it is when their movies have production problems

Holy shit thissss yassssss

What defines an "epic"?

Attached: 1550967141842.jpg (416x416, 32K)

a trifecta of a journey that both explains the protagonist and their transformation and the themes of the story at its core

and is at least 3 hours long

The chinese still do them, John Woos Red Cliff is an historic epic.

the battle in india is much better

Attached: ss+(2018-11-27+at+10.35.55).jpg (1680x1050, 523K)

neither of those are epics. they lack scope

The revenant isn’t an epic. Epic and boring aren’t synonymous

China is constantly putting out epics, though they do lean more heavily on melodrama and state propaganda. India has been making quite a few over the past decade or so as well.

Is this a grab from an upcoming Trudeau biopic?

High budget movies, especially historical big budget movies were called epics. The last high quality epics i would say were Gladiator and The Lord of The Rings Trilogy and few others i cant remember. They stopped doing epics because the only high budget stuff they are doing are capeshits for manchilds. Capeshit ruined cinema its a fact, it ruined people taste, it ruined everything.

The death nail for epics because of cgi.
An epic has hundreds of extras for crowds or war shots.