The Black Plague

Why isn't there a worthwhile tv show or a movie about this amazing period in human history?

Attached: nintchdbpict000345795278.jpg (2786x3671, 1.66M)

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor_costume
forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/08/19/official-lies-bubonic-plague-and-californias-homeless-challenge/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Indeed. T’would be a massively enlarged prostate of a show

There were some awesome posts about plague doctors on here once; I don't have any of them, unfortunately.

Attached: 1483125507116.gif (76x76, 11K)

Plague kino

Attached: MV5BZmQwODk5ZGItMDk5OS00MjU4LTgyYmUtYTBiMTFhYWM5MDY4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTMxMTY0OTQ@._V1_.jpg (580x901, 172K)

Black Death with Sean Bean

>tfw master race Italian American and Immune to the black plague

Would be pretty kino if it did come back again, ofcourse id be safe though.

kek

>le spooky bird mask
Was this actually a common thing?

Cap from the movie.

Attached: the-bird-of-paradise-5.jpg (630x477, 162K)

Agree. Can't wait for the "based on real events" about the womyn who actually cured the whole thing and the ending when they save the pope for the white rats.

tfw obsessed with the black plague, watch all youtube vids and even read medical papers on how yersinia shuts down the immune system despite not understanding it

Attached: images (5).jpg (618x496, 25K)

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plague_doctor_costume

They believed the mask allowed them enough protection to examine plague victims, hence worn by "plague doctors".

Something like 15% of europeans are immune to yersinia, and its still around it never really left but people dont die to it anymore since we discovered antibiotics

They stuffed the beak with herbs and stuff because they believed the plague was airborne and the scent would overpower it.

Black Death was pretty good.

they jammed a bunch of herbs in the beak to fend off vapors or some other idiotic shit. most of them died. go figure

I'd rather have a series about Justinians reign, with a full season focusing on the plague.

>Humanist literature starts to appear
>People abandon worship of Jesus and instead start worshipping the Virgin Mary as their saviour

Very interesting period. I live in LA, so I think I'll get to see it again, soon. There is already bubonic plague on skid row. Only a matter of time until it spreads all over the city

Attached: 1503096772781.png (429x709, 449K)

Unlimited kino potential

Attached: plague.jpg (1024x728, 285K)

Yes. The mask was believed to prevent miasma from getting to the person in the suit. The beak is filled with good smelling things like flowers since the belief was that good smelling things counter bad smelling things. The suit was a step in the right direction however, it was almost completely sealed but many of them had seems in the boots and legging parts that the bugs would crawl through and transmit the plague.

Plague doctors were mostly people to collect the dead and count how many people were infected since nobody really knew what to do and they usually spread the plague themselves without knowing. Some were scammers who would charge insane amounts for a cure that wouldn't do anything. It was a shitty job, during a shitty time, for shitty people and most died.

>ywn bash nitwits over the head with your sweet plague doctor cane

Flesh and Blood not bad, plus a naked Jennifer Jason Leigh

Attached: unnamed.jpg (900x900, 108K)

They believed in something called "miasma" that people got sick because of "bad or foul" air so they put herbs in the beak of the gas mask.

The ironic thing is that yersinia is not airborn and the protective clothing of the costume is what would of lowered there chance of becoming infected, not the gas mask (which would work against airborne bacteria and viruses)

Attached: 6Frt3hC8wuRJKRu153RuOSgh8rV.jpg (1022x1441, 234K)

Imagine a cartoon in this style

>Black death

sign me up :^)

>worthwhile
fuck outta here with that shite

>It was a shitty job

Depends on the time. Once an epidemic starts they will pay good money for just about anyone to do the work which meant hiring a bunch of criminals who would freely loot and demand money in exchange for not having people carted off as plague carriers.

Also in the general mass hysteria you could call someone out as being an enemy agent/devil who is spreading it and have them duly lynched.

The thing I like about miasma theory is how it makes complete sense given the information they had at the time and many early sanitation systems worked on the idea. Things that smell bad almost always *are* bad.

I NEED PLAGUEDOCTOR GF PLEASE GOD LET ME HAVE THIS

Post a rec or fuck off, aspie

Don't worry. The state of California is looking to make a sequel!

forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2019/08/19/official-lies-bubonic-plague-and-californias-homeless-challenge/

Not only that, it is literally the reason why we evolved to find things that can make us sick foul smelling.

Attached: a1475123270_10.jpg (1200x1200, 632K)

I keep thinking the comic book The Marquis uses a plague doctor mask, but it is a bit kore stub nosed. Plus his hat is kore of a tricorner. It is more Baroque than plague times.

Attached: guy-davis-marquis-10.jpg (1280x720, 227K)

There is no way Sean Bean survived this film, right?

Attached: 4england.jpg (1280x720, 44K)

What do you think? He stays true to form.

There is The Navigator: A Medieval Odyssey. Saw it when I was a kid, and rewatched it recently. It's not the greatest, but it's pretty slim pickings when it comes to plague kino desu.

Hey. What's going on in this thread?

Attached: 1415148340947.jpg (640x555, 198K)

Based plague-chan cleansing the streets of California.

the rossellini tv movie Cartesius briefly touches on the plague and the doctors and nosferatu the vampyre has people dying of the plague

Any movie that has a Roger Ebert endorsement taking up 10% of the poster is probably a piece of shit

Isn't the plague doctor in Darkest Dungeon a female?

Attached: 1542655172873s.jpg (124x115, 2K)

Skid Row is hilarious. Sadly there's a coke slurpee at 7th and Olive or thereabouts that actually tastes like coke so I put myself in jeopardy on occasion.

There aren't a lot of plague movies to choose from so it's a relative measure.

too many white people

The Seventh Seal

The purpose of the beak is that it was filled with oils and herbs and stuff that they believed neutralized the airborne disease even though it was basically useless according to modern medicine.

post pics