What are some good "dark" movies?

Not edgy, just honestly dark, distressing or depressive movies.
I love these types of movies yet have a hard time finding any that I like cause I'm not that much into splatter/horror.

Examples of movies I like and I think are dark at the core: Oldboy, Dark City, Serbian Film, Altered States, 28 Days Later, I dunno, that's all that comes to mind right now.

Pic unrelated

Attached: 1486001595092.png (1888x1852, 630K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=uUfBVLAY_pU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Bone Tomahawk
Good Time
Heaven Knows What

thx bruh

the machinist

Threads
I watched it on a 4 hour flight, just sat thinking to myself for the next two hours after finishing it.

The Divide (2011) is pretty dark

Threads is just nuclear war propaganda though, especially the radiation thing is overblown

>Bone Tomahawk
>dark movie
besides the barn scene and the cave its awful

Overblown or not, you don't think living in an irradiated hell is dark?

instead of bone tomahowk why not Dragged across concrete, same regisseur, his best movie.

I forget, did someone point out that he could just remove the horn and huff the gas in silence

The 7th continent
Breaking the waves
Martyrs(though this movie is actually not nihilistic and people miss the point)
Henry: portrait of a serial killer
Pet Sematary

Burning was good

Airburst nukes don't leave behind a whole lot of radiation nor do they shoot up tons of soot into the atmosphere to block out the sun for generations (debatable if it's a thing even with groundburst nukes), 3-4 weeks and it's safe to go outside again minus the select few military installations and maybe some cities. When people think about nukes they only think of radiation, not the logistics that are required to keep the cities running or massive outbreaks of diseases that are more likely to wipe out large crowds of people. It would certainly be shitty for many people for a couple of decades but not an apocalypse-tier event

Nuclear disarmament is ultimately a good thing for the world but activists shouldn't tell lies or push disinformation based on false data to further their cause

seen that, good movie
seen martyrs, good movie but not quite my style usually

thx for all the recommendations

Attached: 1513827551433.png (392x336, 191K)

Jennifer Connelly in Dark Water

The Divide

Documentaries on child slavery or modern wars. If you want to upset yourself you might as well do it right.

Attached: 1561767547777.webm (910x512, 2.67M)

what the fuck man. this is somehow so much worse than gore

Fun fact for the day, most of these kids are told to smile when someone with a camera is there because they have a better chance of getting food and water from them that way. That's why she keeps trying to smile.

welp there goes my evening

yeah i can tell it's not a real smile, just look at her eyes, it's part of what makes it so hard to watch

Angel heart

70’s wicker man

So what's the source then edgelord? Or do we go and watch every single middle east documentary ever made trying to find this one?

>boo fucking hoo a hungry nigger

Watch A.I. Artificial Intelligence. Written by Kubrick, directed by Spielberg, it’s about a future with child sex robots, mankind pleasuring itself to extinction with said robots, and said robots then being left with a religious reverence for their creators, who go about the process of resurrecting their makers ... starting the cycle over ... and over ... forever ... and ever ...

Attached: 63E12F0C-1B19-470C-93FD-8A6A3D882D2F.png (740x327, 208K)

>who go about the process of resurrecting their makers
It's been a while since I've seen it, but aren't they incapable of bringing dead people back for more than a day? It seems like whatever the new lifeforms are they're way past humanity at the end

Spider

>It's been a while since I've seen it, but aren't they incapable of bringing dead people back for more than a day?
A false explanation given to the audience and to David. Cloning is obviously possible, but replicating/fabricating memories is currently beyond the reach of known science. They gave him a flash clone of his “mom” who would only live a day to cover for the fact that she doesn’t have any memories.
>It seems like whatever the new lifeforms are they're way past humanity at the end
The “new lifeforms” were mistaken by some in the audience to be aliens, even though they explicitly explain their origins. The thing is, Kubrick was making a statement about “aliens”; that they are the evolutionary descendants of AI and cybernetic technologies we are creating today. The gods and angels of our past.

>it only hurts if it isn't real

Attached: 1547527940228.jpg (1056x661, 179K)

>implying it isn’t real
oh goyim

That would be a statement, not an implication.

>implying >implying implies implication

No difference then.

youtube.com/watch?v=uUfBVLAY_pU

This movie honest to god fucked me up for weeks.

OP here that shit doesn't phase me that much, however "The Act of Killing" was pretty damn tough and mindfucking

what movie is the pic you used from?

>Joe Bonham, a young American soldier hit by an artillery shell during World War I, lies in a hospital bed. He is a quadruple amputee who has also lost his eyes, ears, mouth and nose. He remains conscious and able to reason, but his wounds render him a prisoner in his own body. As he drifts between reality and fantasy, he remembers his old life with his family and girlfriend.

Like, it's a fucked movie.

Why would someone elses suffering not effecting you matter if it doesn't matter to you?

Attached: 1538132490342.jpg (750x624, 38K)

nigga u serirous

I don't get it. I just don't like children very much so that bitch losing her that makes me feel completely indifferent however that dude in act of killing being all weird and shit (if you seen it you know what i mean) is hard on the psyche imo, completely different than triggering an emotional response.

Read more.

Read less.

read Mein Kampf

>reading fiction

Human suffering is cheap. Edginess is easy. Darkness follows light.

>not reading
There sure are a lot of niggers in the world. We could do with less.

Human suffering is irrelevant.

Right. It’s everywhere. It’s ubiquitous. It’s like water. The darkness op wants comes from genius and intellectual enlightenment.
It’s on the road from highly cultured, civilized German society, to gas chambers. If you catch my meaning.

plot twist: I am OP

Attached: 1506359939311.jpg (347x348, 44K)

I’m roko’s basilisk