Why do all the patricians I follow on Letterboxd rate this movie so low? I really liked it. 4 stars at least

Why do all the patricians I follow on Letterboxd rate this movie so low? I really liked it. 4 stars at least.

Attached: the master.jpg (600x900, 112K)

It's a pleb filter

It was boring and pretentious

I've seen redditors posting that it's a reverse pleb filter.

It's not pretentious. It's pretty simple. It's just a bromance.

I didn't get the point of it

The Master is PTA's attempt at outing poseurs by making something utterly disjointed that vaguely resembles a narrative feature just enough that it confuses them into praising it out of fear for being labelled a pleb.

An intentionally terrible movie carefully emulating a masterpiece. A true work of genius. Why do you think the plot of the film involves a cult leader who feigns insight and brilliance but is secretly full of shit? It's a metaphor for the film itself.

tl;dr if you think The Master is actually good you're a pleb.

It's the story of a bromance that started a cult with the friends then having a dalling out.

PTA is a hack. Boogie Nights is 10% as good as everyone pretends.

Greatest PTA film, and top 5 film of the 21st century thus far.

I liked the shots of the water from the boat.

Because Letterboxd is filled with pseuds and plebs

What the above posters has said, though its more of a metaphor for how people get indoctrinated into serving masters, whether that be a person, a material possession or a certain mindset after feeling disenfranchised with the world.
Because its letterboxd and the average user is basically the average iMDB user except more pretentious and insufferable

that's not Inherent Vice

Out of ten?

Stars are always 4 or 5 ya goof.

I rate movies out of ten stars

It's in the title and it's literally explained at the end of the movie. PSH is JP's Master in the cult, but because of their personalities he ends up leaving, JP's character is like a wild animal that can't be tamed, he has no master except his impulses and vices. It's a story about the relationship between the two men, and that's mostly it. The fact that the one is a cult leader is meant to emphasize how hard JP is to control, because the entire character of a cult leader is that he hypnotizes everyone around him with his bullshit, so it makes the contrast with JP's wildness stronger, and it also shows how PSH needs rules above all, he is trying to invent some metaphysical ultimate truth about shit and he's still being controled by his woman.

I'll counter by saying PTA acknowledged this even during the promotion saying "We're low on story big on character" or something similar. So yes it was purposely cut and paced as a mess to make it symbolic of a cult conversion but that's overt; Freddie as an incorruptible moron spanner in the works and Dodd's fascination with him makes it work as a character study even without a satisfying narrative. Their performances, interactions, and how fucking gorgeous the film is make it more than a simple metaphor imo.

Attached: iu[1].jpg (1280x692, 70K)

It's a beautiful movie, visually and written.

filtered