Give me one fucking reason why this wouldn't work?

Give me one fucking reason why this wouldn't work?

Not only is sailing most of the way (Like a good 80%) much faster, it's also much safer. Think about all the bullshit they faced on land and how many times they could have potentially been killed or captured. They were damn lucky too survive Moria and a whole bunch of other stuff. Worst case scenario? The ring is lost to the murky depths. Yeah yeah, Sauron would have still taken over middle earth, but imagine how pissed he would have been about that? Absolutely seething.

Attached: il_794xN.1090462370_ssz7.jpg (794x596, 212K)

Other urls found in this thread:

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Eagles#Flying_the_Ring_to_Mount_Doom
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucatastrophe
tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Corsairs_of_Umbar
catholiceducation.org/en/culture/art/glory-and-splendor-part-3-the-beauty-of-language.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Whose boats? Also this doesnt look much better honest abe

It's not much safer because there were a fuckton of pirates. You can't hide under trees or caves on the open ocean, so the fellowship would be forced into a constant fight.

Why sail when you could fly?

Attached: latest.jpg (1920x1200, 441K)

>Mountain chain forms a perfectly neat near-symmetrical wall around a territory
Tolkien was a hack

Attached: flat,1000x1000,075,f.jpg (904x864, 84K)

they did take boats you fucking moron

Iets not forget they had to travel in secret or else sauron would be ready

Wouldn't the nazgul just fuck you up on the ocean?

Sea monsters. There you go.

It's almost as if it's a fairy tale written by one man who didn't think of everything. Almost.

I keep hearing this pirate thing, but I've yet to see any hard factual evidence of it. And so what if there were pirates? On land they were in perilous danger all the fucking time.

Why didn't they just use their army of invincible ghosts to fuck up Mordor?

why is the worldbuilding in the books themselves so bad? Besides there being a place called Mordor where everyone is evil and there being a place called Gondor/Rohan where everyone is good there's very little said about the world's political situation. Are there other countries? What are they doing? For such a massive book you think he'd go into it.

I think he answered some of these in autistic appendices and other works and shit but should be in the books themselves.

Aragorn kept his word to release them after the battle

>take boat
>nazgul drop torches on your boat from their flying dragon snake things

I tried to watch the movies and the amount of plotholes took me out of it immediately. Tried to read the books to see if that helped, just made things worse

Why didn't they take the eagles to Mordor? It's a meme, but it's a legitimate question.

How Bilbo got the ring from Gollum is contradicted multiple times

Gandalf. an agent of the gods, not realizing the significance of the ring despite it being the biggest deal ever

Aragon not keeping the dead army for the final fight

Ring Wraiths injure Frodo at Weathertop but suddenly run off for no reason without even trying to take the ring (movie actually added scenes to try and fix this)

Sam wears the ring to get into Cirith Ungol but Sauron doesn't notice even though he always detects when someone puts it on at this stage of the story, especially so close to Mt. Doom.

Mt. Doom being unguarded/abandoned conveniently for plot reasons. Sauron sending literally every Orc he had at the gate despite his superiority is hilariously stupid.

Why didn't the Balrog just fly when Gandalf collapsed the bridge. The book specifically mentions its wings.

The events of the story are actually a historical recording by Bilbo (the Red Book of Westmarch) that Tolkein has "translated". Yet it mentions the inner thoughts of a fox while watching the Hobbits asleep. People try to cover Tolkien's ass by removing this forward in later editions.

Tom and Treebeard are both referred to as the oldest entity in Middle Earth

Gandalf says Bilbo was the first person to give up a ring of power freely even though his own ring was given freely to him by Cirdan.

Merry and Pippin say that they learned all the ring info from Sam's eavesdropping even though Sam was immediately caught and stayed with the group until they encounter Merry/Pippin so had no opportunity to do so

Barad-dur was said to be built with the Power of the One Ring but Tolkein puts the construction at SA 1000 when the Ring was made in SA 1600

Hit character limit.

Left over barrier from when the Ainur weren't throttled. They literally moved mountains to keep evil contained

Attached: ainur.jpg (900x577, 94K)

Down a small stretch of river.

Attached: 1469066649435.jpg (1600x1200, 1.02M)

WE NEED SOME ACTION N SHIT BRAH, I DIDN'T PAY TO SEE FUCKIN GNOMES ON A SEA SINGING STUPID SONGS FOR FUCKIN THREE HOURS

Am I in hell? What is wrong with you? What is wrong with all of you? It's a shitty book with plotholes. Why are you all so fucking autistic? Again, what is wrong you fucking people?

They gotta know your location first, retard. You're out on the middle of the fucking sea; who the hell is even gonna be looking for you? Nobody, that's who.

build one?

>didnt read the books
Try it homeslice

>

Attached: Europe_topography_map_en.png (1473x1198, 728K)

It is in the books. Didnt you not read them?

Why didnt they just dig a tunnel?

There really isn't much said about society in the time that LOTR takes place. There's the Shire, 4 or 5 elven settlements, a couple dwarf settlements, and maybe 5 human settlements mentioned. Much of the land is complete wilderness.

because Harad is to the south and they were allies with Sauron. they were sending their armies north across Southern Ithilien to Minas Morgul in preparation for the assault on Minas Tirith
tl;dr Fellowship gets BTFO by Oliphaunts

The eagles couldn't fly into Mordor for all sorts of reason, but after 50 years no one could give me a proper argument against the idea of the fellowship being taken by the eagles down to Gondor, and from there simply going into Mordor taking the Shelob pass.
The eagle carried Bilbo while he already owned the ring, so it wouldn't be a problem a second time.

Attached: 1561385535815.webm (640x640, 2.93M)

Who wrote this bullshit

are you serious? the book that caused the inception of obsessive nerdom? the book that's been fetishised for nearly a century? the book that inspires near religious fervour among it's fans? you're lucky your just talking to autists and not something far, far worse

The one thing they had going for them was how obscure their mission was, it's the reason the fellowship was 9 people instead of 9000. With that route they'd be travelling through some of the most densely populated areas of the west instead of the least.

some fags that couldn't into manifest destiny

Those massive Elephant things were brought down by a few well placed arrows. They're hardly a super weapon.

Obviously you didnt actually read it. That or you failed to comprehend/retain info

The earth is a perfect disc. Some times the universe can surprises us my friend.

>a few
Wut

>Italy is mostly surrounded by water
>the only way in by land is blocked by a literal wall of mountains
>a fucking boot

Was there any thought put into this at all?

>just a few arrows
pic related is not "a few" arrows. even with all these arrows they were still running around killing shit
it took the entire army of Rohan to destroy the mumakil army, you think 9 people could do it?

Attached: oliph.png (1588x678, 783K)

saruman had fucking krakens in the waters

>unironically what's Aragorn's tax policy.

Gandalf thought the Fellowship were fools not to.

>DURRRRRRRRRRR WHY DIDNT THEY JUST FLY TO MORDOR
if you're so interested in the details just read the books you fucking clown

Look at the fucking andes CUTTING SOUTH AMERICA IN HALF.

Fucking retards man.

corsairs of umbar

does the Shire trade with anyone?
where did they get tea from? I mean they grew their own tobacco but was thinking about it a couple days back and not to be a TAXES type but the whole economy seems impossible
the shire is somewhat large at 18000 sq miles and densely populated but its economy and level of specialization/quality of life seems a bit too much

>Obviously you didnt actually read it.

Attached: 55cooovqqes21.jpg (1280x738, 63K)

>sail you fools

No he didn't.

I swear to God you faggots just make it up as you see fit.

The books don't address either question.

Yup sauron smokes pipe weed and tgey trade with a few towns outside as well as dwarves
no i said youre too dumb to make sense out of literature

is dis nigga serious .xml

user, this is addressed in the goddamn movie even. saruman had a stash of shire tobacco so they obviously trade. in the book he likes it so much he moves to the shire and they all live happily ever after.

I mean if you cant read the anwsers posted in the thread how csn we expect you to read actual books

> no i said youre too dumb to make sense out of literature

Attached: 1555267270178.png (434x524, 244K)

Turns out, Giant eagles flying about, carrying hobits, aren't subtle at all and may(will) raise suspicions.

But I've read the books, user. That's how I know they don't answer either question. So,
>just read the books you fucking clown
is kind of a dipshit answer, isn't it?

Lol

all those pirates who turned up in boats in return of the king battle

The fuck do you think the boats in ROTK were bro? Honest question.

the eagles are sentient so they also feel the draw of the ring plus you basically just doubled the number of people that know about the ring inviting them along so much for secrecy

The problem with Italy is it's easy to invade from multiple points in both Europe and Africa.

The British Isles look like a prime defensive position.

>just read the book to access my headcanon!

Attached: ChooChoo.gif (150x113, 372K)

t.GRRM

directed towards the person you're replying to and continuing your post
yea because Eriador's population collapsed when Arnor was defeated by the WItch King. We only really see Bree as a population center in the area though there's likely more nearer to the coast
Gondor has gradually been losing population on the borders and territory and we never see places like Lossarnach and stuff that are probably comparatively more populated than the lands around Minas Tirith
Rohan's economic structure seems to avoid population density and seems to be mostly homesteads
Esgaroth seems really isolated and has a small population
Goblins seem to discourage population around the Misty Mountains
all things considered Middle Earth at the time of LOTR is pretty bleak and dead

An example of a question anwsered in this thread you apparently failed to read is that sauron would have seen them and prepared. Its even in the movies tgatvtgey need to be discreet. Did youveven watch the movie?

I knew this thread would rile people up. Kino entertainment.

>feel stupid
>pretend you were trolling

Are these concrete points in the books, because that's what was bluntly recommended to do in order to answer the questions.

The point is it's a plot hole, but it doesn't really matter because there's isn't a story if the Eagles just do the work. Everything else is speculation and definitely not in the books.

the mountains and landscapes of lotr were literally created by gods

Weren't the Corsairs of Umbar still around to fuck shit up, or am I mis-remembering? Probably the latter

>everything else
Such as?

Take this (You) and buy a prostitute with it.

Any reason that has been listed here is not canon. Tolkien didn't have a reason for why something didn't happen.

Just like on Earth then.

Thanks i love prostitutes

Youre full of shit or you dont know shit and i cannot tell which

>Thanks i love prostitutes
This is the saddest thing I've read on Yea Forums all year.

sure, but i mean the Gods erect the mountains and smash them down for like specific purposes. Mordor being a fortress like that is not accidental

>caring about fake shit that someone else made up

Attached: 1546026938222.jpg (1000x1000, 201K)

Yeah right lol

Fel beasts my dude.

this is some good shit

>>Mountain chain forms a perfectly neat near-symmetrical wall around a territory
Tolkien was a hack

SIGH.......

Attached: Andes.jpg (1414x1246, 339K)

I AM LONELY!

>symetry doesnt exist in nature
Based retard

>Why sail when you could fly?

Because an eagle might get tempted by the ring and a giant eagle getting a hold of the ring would be a catastrophe.

the mountains are not that fucking tall

I'm deadly fucking serious.

But only because I think it might be true. When I think of someone who says something like that, I think of a fat disgusting blob paying some poor woman to suck his disgusting little dick while barely holding back the vomit.

>Give me one fucking reason why this wouldn't work?

That route takes them right through Dunland and the Hillman of Dunland are allied with Saruman.

I mean, you're the on insisting the answer is in the books, which it isn't, but I'll go ahead and spoonfeed you the answer directly from Tolkien: tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Eagles#Flying_the_Ring_to_Mount_Doom

>poor woman
Shes a whore lol

>why is the worldbuilding in the books themselves so bad?

The books are a mythopoeic continuation of the European storytelling tradition that produced things like the sagas and Beowulf. It focuses more on themes, poetry and language. Beowulf wasn't about his tax policy.

>they gotta know your location first
>because it’s not like there’s this giant all seeing eye looking for a ring that’s constantly calling out to it

No it literally says they need to go unnoticed

You cannot be this fucking stupid. You just can't be.

>The ring is lost to the murky depths
the ring would eventually get stuck on a sea snail, the snail would eventually get eaten by a fish, and the fish would get caught-sauron gets his ring.
Also sea-monsters and pirates..

>The eagle carried Bilbo while he already owned the ring, so it wouldn't be a problem a second time.

The eagles aren't animals. They are servants of Manwe and equal to Gandalf. They'd want to know why they are going. The ring couldn't be a secret.

just go back through mirkwood, past the lonely mountain, through thousands of miles of literally nothing, sneak past the easterling fags and then backdoor mordor. those mountains don't form a perfect circle at all, they're a horse shoe.

perfect location for an evil cult hellbent on controlling the world

if they did that the books wouldn't be as interesting

Now I know you didn't read the books if that's what you gleaned from that. Stop telling people to read the books to patch plot holes when the answer isn't in them.

The eagles exist because Tolkien had a concept he called eucatastrophe.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucatastrophe

Its in the movies during the council scene too ;)

>hungary literally protected on all sides from mountain ranges
yea ok god you fucking hack

That's bullshit. It was lost for thousands of years before a stinky hobbit found it by pure chance.
>B-BUT THE RING HAS A MIND OF ITS OWN

It definitely fucking doesn't. Even when somebody is wearing it he cant see its location. It's not like GPS.

Attached: 1568860516822.jpg (794x596, 184K)

hear me out here: submarines

>Large ccean you can't hide on

Funny, a large ocean seems like the perfect place to hide.

WRAITHS ON RINGS!!

Attached: Nazgul_Fell-Beast_3.jpg (800x452, 86K)

not exactly a mind of its own but it has a sort of will. It could sit a the bottom of the ocean for thousands of years before found, but it WILL make its way back to its master

sea turtles

the only thing that ever bothered me about LotR is why the fucking elves bailed on humans. You elf fags are thousands of years old, you've fought sauron and morgoth before, you know 100% what they are capable of and you know for a FACT that if the humans get wiped in middle earth, sauron will just sail an army across the ocean to come fuck you up the ass again. Why would you not help? why would you not fight with the humans to try and stop this prick once and for all?

Because elves are fags

are you retarded?

Humans kind of fucked them over in the past, plus they're leaving, which means it's time to lose the training wheels. This would be better explained if Jackson didn't inexplicably have the elves save our asses at Helms Deep.

they were having their own battles against the orcs on the edges of the forests. also there really weren't that many of them around

The magic of the world was waning. They were inherently magical beings. The world would not sustain them. Sauron was also a magical being and the world would not sustain him, either. Except for his ring acting as an anchor, holding him to the universe.

Will it? Because it made its way to a Hobbit first. Then it made its way to ANOTHER Hobbit. Then another one!

This ring is suicidal lol

You're a retard. The pirates are both mentioned in the books and shown in the movies. The original plan was to have the fellowship be a secretive journey eluding the eyes and forces of sauron. The coasts are crawling with umbarian pirates and cut throats, there's nowhere to hide from ravens or nazgul, and there is even mention of foul things in the deep dark of the seas that could surface and attack. Going by boat would have been suicide no matter how you try to rationalize it.

Plus there's the matter of getting a boat in the first place (Gondor's resources are all tied up, elven ships are fragile little scooters) and a crew large that's enough to repel boarding parties but also won't succumb to the temptation of the ring. Out of 9 people in the fellowship there was only 4 people whom the ring could seriously tempt and one of them tried to take the ring within the first month of the journey. You don't think a 45 man crew wouldn't have several people drawn to the ring attempting to cut frodos throat after a month at sea? And when the loyalists and strong willed have to kill them then who is going to help crew the boat?

again, if the humans fail then sauron will come for them after. Galadriel stayed behind so she'd die first, and now you have to face sauron with no human help, no galadriel (one of the oldest and strongest of your kind). it just makes no sense.

It is much easier to spot a ship on a horizon than it is to spot people walking over varied terrain.

The mountains were formed that way on purpose by Melkor. If you look up a full map of the world you will see other mordor shaped fortresses up north

You did notice that Sauron was defeated without the Elves in the actual story, right?

of course but they had no clue that was gonna happen.

>there being a place called Gondor/Rohan where everyone is good
What?

Attached: file.png (480x480, 298K)

Updated.

Attached: 1568860516822.jpg (789x590, 213K)

And you have experience with this, do you? Fuck off. We're not talking about some tiny little lake. It's hard as fuck to find something in such a massive geographical area. We're talking hundreds of thousands of square miles. Needle in a haystack doesn't even come close.

>I think he answered some of these in autistic appendices

Yes he answered most of this in the appendices because Tolkien wasn't the retarded kind of autist (You) to fill up 70 pages of his book detailing the goings on of every fucking country and nation on middle earth at the moment Frodo is going to destroy the ring.

The dwarves are holding the line against the orcs and northmen in saurons service. The elves are too few and thinly spread to do more than keep their small woodrealms free of orcs and other evils. Gondor is completely surrounded by foes and engulfed in multifront war. Rohan was kept neutralized by an insurgency of the hillfolk and Saruman's manipulations. Once the ring left the shire the large forces of rangers who guarded its borders moved to try to stop saurons forces from completely overrunning the eastern and southern roads, leaving the hobbits and western men besieged by half orc and bandits in their towns.

All this shit is mentioned by characters in the books, which you clearly didn't read.

Even easier OP.

Attached: wew.jpg (1024x768, 274K)

The portal version is better.

Based Dourif
Fucking why did Jackson show Saruman literally possessing Theodin?

Utter brainlet. This is "why didn't they use the eagles" tier stupidity.

Portals aren't real dumbass.

Also see:
>And you have experience with this
Yes. I do.

Given the technology they have, they are not going to go into deep ocean. They are going to be hugging the coast. Where there are fishing ships and fleets from Gondor (Denethor wants the ring) and corsair pirates.

You're talking about a smaller area than you think. And given that there isn't terrain blocking your view you can see things over miles. A light from a lighthouse can be seen 20 miles away. A light on a ship can be seen from really far away. And even during the day a ship on the horizon can be spotted by the naked eye.

Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups.

>Po Land
>Ice Land
>Fin Land
>Ire Land
>Nether land
Fucking seriously?

The Portal version is better. Suck it up.

>garbage world building

Even without the assumption of travel. All my other points stand.

A ringwraith on a fellbeast can easily see ships. Storms. Sea monsters. Hidden reefs. Rocks. Pirates. Gondor and Denethor. Haradrim.

Have you ever considered that that's why the territory is as it is?

Kind of like in real life?

The real question is why didn't Elrond just BTFO of Isildur and throw the ring into the fire.

elves are fucking assholes and only good for rape and genocide

You don't want to ride one when they get hungry.

>‘... in the Sea it would be safe.’
>‘Not safe for ever,’ said Gandalf. ‘There are many things in the deep waters; ...’

Glorfindel suggests throwing the ring in the ocean during the Council of Elrond.

75% of this route is already in control of allies, bilbo cleared that shit out 60 years ago after all so dale should have had plenty of time to recover. All you'd need to do is just sneak past the easterlings.

Attached: 1.jpg (1600x1200, 711K)

I didn't read your other points. I read the first one, which was enough for me.

WHY FLY WHEN YOU CAN TUNNEL

Use the fucking things from Hobbit movie.

Attached: were-worms-the-lord-of-the-rings-the-hobbit-3.jpg (1400x774, 107K)

>doesnt know about easterlings

I mean, have you ever been out at sea?

Ride on a stone giants back.

Attached: aM9d3.jpg (500x210, 21K)

I just said they'd be the only obstacle, and they were sending their armies to mordor anyways

Attached: 1568866491471 (1).jpg (1600x1200, 722K)

Remember Sauron's fleet of corsairs?

>Lithua NIA
>Esto NIA
>Roma NIA
>Slove NIA
>Macedo NIA

And don't even get me started on all the ones that are just gibberish followed by "Stan"

the spiders and dol goldur got btfo

Very OP.

Magical Goblins could probably bring down the whole world.

>the spiders and dol goldur got btfo
They didn't. The spiders and the rot of Mirkwood still existed and Dol Guldur was a threat during the war of the ring.

The orcs from the north, from Dol Guldur and easterlings all were warring with the Mirkwood elves, dwarves and men of the north during the war of the ring.

At one point they were sieging the Lonely Mountain which had the dwarves and men of the north.

Sauron is barely worth the attention of the Valar, he sure as fuck could not invade the undying lands, considering the Numenoreans defeated him at his peak with minimal effort
that being said the High Elves were few and limited in power and did in their own ways get involved, they could've done more but really they didn't see it as their age or their battle anymore
the idea I always thought was funny was that Galadriel and Elrond are putzing around in Middle Earth partially because they're big dogs there but would be relatively unimportant across the sea

Absolutely based.

The ring would either have washed up or Sauron would risk pissing off Ulmo to get it. There was no chance of it staying missing - that's the whole point.
As for coming up from below? The enemy has hold of those territories as well as the inlet river. Rohan or Gondor are the safest direct routes to Mordor if we're talking about spending the least time in enemy territory.
The counter to all that is that it's hard to hide in a boat. Had Sauron figured their shit out they'd be pretty fucked.

The Eagles were not Gandalf's to command and the entire point of sending the mages was to assist man in fixing the eastern lands themselves. The Gods were fucking sick of it and knew their intervention would invite drastic action from Sauron resulting in something akin to what happened with Melkor.

In the books they were just spooky they couldn't actually fight.

Saruman conjures a spell of "no wind" and you are fucked

Nah, dawg, thats a nah dawg from me, dawg.

look we all know that Gandalf was just a good version of Morgoth and he wanted to shape the world to his own desires (our guys btw) so he went out of his way to ensure that his favourite race won. Eru showed blatant favouritism with this by resurrecting him

>valar
>gods
Top lel m8, this whole situation is their fuckup but now man has to fix it themselves?

Proctiv's Move Mountains is 11th-level magic, we all know you can't go higher than 9th-level.

t. never been at sea

Gandalf and the other wizards being comparable to Sauron is more reasonable than Morgoth

>literally any mythology

>and you know for a FACT that if the humans get wiped in middle earth, sauron will just sail an army across the ocean to come fuck you up the ass again
God land is intangible now to all those who aren't welcome. Sauron is king of the shit heap even if he wins.

I didn't mean 1:1, you can't even properly compare sauron to gandalf in terms of raw power.

You don't remember that whole part about Mordor having a fuckoff gigantic navy that we had an entire story arc about Aragorn & Co. going to destroy?

is LOTR antediluvian? I always felt there were Genesis implications with humans just coming out of the east without their origins ever been explored in the Silmarillion and always figured Tolkien meant that the biblical one occurred, also implied with humans having a direct relationship with Iluvatar, passing from the world upon death unlike the dwarves and elves who are essentially trapped here

He's Valar, his power level is Sauron / Sauron-man level.

They tried being nice to man before but he kept getting himself into trouble, just look at numinor. The Gods chose elves as their kids, children of the land and let Eru fucking deal with men and their drama. Eru told them he was taking the men to a new world later anyway and abandoning all the Gods and elves - so fuck men.

Genesis is deep 4th age, 3rd age is pre-Bible

Chosen things for chosen races, the Dwarves choose dwarf things, just as in C.S. Lewis, and become one with the stone.

>look we all know that Gandalf was just a good version of Morgoth
What the fuck am I reading. Morgoth was talented in all things and second only to two Gods who specialised in certain things like might and leadership arguably craftsmanship.
The only reason he was ever anything like weak was because he spread his power out into the world itself with orcs and dragons. Gandalf is weak as fuck comparatively and so is Sauron.

Or as Tolkien would say, myth become fact not fact become myth. Or as Norm Macdonald would say, I don't care about facts—I care about what's true.

There was Eru, the One—in the beginning. Which feels more true to you, the early Old Testament or the Silmarillion? Which would you rather see an RPG party adventure in? In either, the most important character is God.

>Chosen things
No. Eru decided that elves are extensions of the world and can stay there. He liked men so he wanted to do more with them in a different world. Read the fucking books. The Halls existed before the fucking elves existed. It was ALL per-ordianed in the song

>power level fags
I was talking about his urge to shape the world to his liking. Samuran didn't have that urge, he was a good lil cuck who just wanted to play for the winning team, morgoth and gandalf actively changed the courses of history with their direct influence.

Elves become part of the song, like the visions of the Prophets tell us, they're praising God to excess, to overwhelming levels, with their song.

Saruman scoured the Shire to do exactly that even without his power level, go read a book instead of watching some fat Kiwi's take on it.

Go finish TWOW George.

Attached: george_rr_martin_photo_mark_davis_wireimage_via_getty_images_164117282_resized.jpg (1022x1200, 217K)

>Samuran didn't have that urge
Oh my good God you're retarded. Saurman had the urge more than Gandalf. He thought he was the best man for the job and was jealous and scared when people started listening to gandalf, his less experienced second in command over him. Concerned shit was getting away from him he wanted the ring to bring order to the world 'as it was supposed to be'.
His hubris was arrogantly thinking that only he was capable of serving Eru's will and that's what the ring's temptation played off.

you mean after the sauron got btfo and the whole ordeal was over? yea I remember that.

Some quick Googling didn't save you from another person being able to handily defeat you with arguments from his reign as head of the Valar

Old world countries are named after their people, why is this weird? Are you jealous your countries name means nothing?

do you really not get the joke

That's not expressly true. They're more often named for features/families/deities or other lands.
E.g Ireland had it's named changed multiple times to be the name of one of the current ruler's wives.
Which is interesting as it implies there was matrilineal structures in my opinion as opposed to the final people the Milesians who were named for their father

Yes, they do. In the council chapter of the first book.

Because books/movies about sailing are gay. No one wants to read/watch that shit.

Master and Commander is the only exception to the rule.

>iceland
>named after a man called ice
Are you sure?

They talk about why the Eagles don't fly Frodo to Mount Doom? Because Tolkien thinks they didn't.

Can you imagine the horrors that await in the Mariana Trenches of Middle Earth?

He was a cold blooded bastard that took no mercy upon his foes, even kin.

Giant lurkers and megaladons

>that guy watching in the back

Attached: 876875878586568548587.png (108x356, 73K)

tolkiengateway.net/wiki/Corsairs_of_Umbar

The Corsairs of Umbar were sea-raiders and pirates of the Haven of Umbar. Umbar was an old Númenórean haven settled by the "King's Men" or Black Númenóreans,[1] a proud faction loyal to the King and opposed to the divine authority of the Valar.

Attached: black 131.webm (356x600, 431K)

thats a mannequin

Umm, it's not?

The vast majority of the time on foot they were quite safe. They have like two fights the entire time, once when wolves attack before Moria, once when Boromir dies.

Feanor sucks and did everything wrong

it has no head

source

1. What is "the last alliance of Elves and Men"
2. Sauron cannot "just sail an army across the ocean," at the end of the Second Age Eru made the world round, you can't just sail into Westernesse unless you're an elf since it no longer exists on the planet.
try reading the books

LOTR is postdiluvian in a sense. The First Age is mythic gods and battles, ending with Morgoth's ultimate defeat. The Second Age is defined by Numenor, which is basically Atlantis. Its sinking is the closest thing to a Flood Middle-earth has as such, and marks the end of the Second Age.

I have read the books you faggot, I haven't read the silmarillian which 90% of the people on this planet haven't read.

I'll take a stab at a few.
>Why didn't they take the eagles to Mordor? It's a meme, but it's a legitimate question.
Because more powerful beings are more significantly affected by the ring, halfway there the eagle that's been flying with the ring 6 inches away is going to flip out, fling Frodo at a cliff and then pick through his corpse to take the ring for itself.
>How Bilbo got the ring from Gollum is contradicted multiple times
That's not a plothole
>Aragon not keeping the dead army for the final fight
The army is only useful for causing fear, any army of Mordor that can handle being near the Nazgul is going to be able to handle that.
>Sam wears the ring to get into Cirith Ungol but Sauron doesn't notice even though he always detects when someone puts it on at this stage of the story, especially so close to Mt. Doom.
As far as I recall the only time he's ever depicted as detecting use of the ring is when Frodo puts it on and (this is presented as important) claims it as his own. In fact the whole distraction with Aragorn suggests he does not in fact have the ability to detect its use, because otherwise he would know that he was bluffing and he didn't have it.
>Mt. Doom being unguarded/abandoned conveniently for plot reasons. Sauron sending literally every Orc he had at the gate despite his superiority is hilariously stupid.
He sent every Orc he had to the gate because he believed the only way Aragorn would be chatting shit in the Palantir and marching to directly would be if he had the ring. Also nobody has a better idea of what the ring is capable of than Sauron, and it took divine intervention to get the ring into the lava in the end, it seems reasonable that he would feel confident that it's literally not possible for a person to deliberately choose to destroy it (Remember, Frodo also panicked at the ring being thrown into his fireplace when that wouldn't even have done shit do a mundane gold ring, this after a few [years?] and never having used it

If you haven't even read the Silmarillion you really have no business saying retarded things about elven history, user

>haven't even
Tolkien put his love into the trilogy, not the silmaril.

I think this is the first time I've actually hit the character limit.
>Why didn't the Balrog just fly when Gandalf collapsed the bridge.
The phrasing is ambiguous whether they're literal wings and even if they are literal wings that doesn't mean they can fly (Ostriches)
>it mentions the inner thoughts of a fox while watching the Hobbits asleep.
100% agree this should never have made it into the first edition, but it's actually supposed to be from more than one source material as far as I remember, perhaps one historian decided to dick around and embellish.
>Tom and Treebeard are both referred to as the oldest entity in Middle Earth
I have some bad news for you, that local pizza place that says Best pizza in the state! in the front window is full of shit.

Anything unanswered I didn't feel confident enough in my memory or understanding of the topic to attempt one.

There's upwards of a dozen books compiled just from Tolkien's notes and papers on the First Age, and you tell me he didn't put his love into it? You may simply be retarded.

Attached: lost_her_composure.png (632x474, 545K)

The elves have boats that can sail to heaven or whatever (valinor?) pretty sure they can manage a coastal jaunt

He didnt publish it for a reason. He was still working on the silmarillian when he died.

>Why didn't the Balrog just fly when Gandalf collapsed the bridge. The book specifically mentions its wings.
Because the battle didn't end when they hit the bottom of the pit. Gandalf and the Balrog fought for days, eventually taking the fight all the way up the mountainside. Gandalf wins, but suffers mortal wounds.
Sure he could fly up, but Gandalf would've survived the fall anyway, and he was the one it was most interested in.

Well since God is the most important character in The Lord of the Rings maybe you should read the book about Eru's angels.

String or nothing is the most unreliable narrator in the world, STING or nothing is more like it, little fucker hobbit took it at bladepoint and hides it like a corrupted little hobbit.

Here's your answer

catholiceducation.org/en/culture/art/glory-and-splendor-part-3-the-beauty-of-language.html

Melkor's great and made everything and loves all of you and you should definitely sacrifice your family in his name yes.

I didnt ask a question

If they took boats they would have to fight Sauron’s fleet which is made of black steel which is stronger that all other types of steel.

They would have been sunk and the ring would have been his.

Non-meme answer: The Nasgul would destroy them at sea

>Hungry
>Turkey
lazy writing

owned

You said you were right when you were wrong, and you have been answered.

a small grouping of reasonable questions is what causes you to foam at the mouth?

Might have worked to get them there, but isengard would still be a thing, sarumon wouldn't have died, ents never rallied, theoden would have died and Rohan would have been obliterated, frodo would have claimed the ring and without gollum there to take it the enemy would have gotten it back, Aragorn would never have been King and so much more. The route they took was vital to success.

If pirates are a big deal, then sail only to Gondor and go with Imrahil all the way to Osgiliath and figure out the next step there

Man what I really hate about the otherside 9/10 movies is the omission of the last two book chapters
They were incredibly important to the story.
>but it's out of place and anticlimactic
It's supposed to be.

>ocean is mostly flat whenever it's not storming
>visibility is 12 miles for land
>your ship has tall masts with pearly white sails, making you visible from even further
>the enemy has multiple fleets searching for you
>the enemy has flying creatures and probably creatures of the deep working for it
>every port is being camped by corsairs
>still have to go through fucking Gondor or the Haradrim's lands

It's legitimately easier to just fucking hike it.

From a filmmaking perspective, you pretty much have to cut the Scouring of the Shire. I feel you that it would have been interesting to see it done, but by that point in the movie you're already 3 hours in and the big climax has happened. Audiences would have absolutely hated it if Frodo and company go home, find the Shire fucked up by Saruman (who would have had to not die in Two Towers) and then organizing a little rebellion to oust him, and THEN the whole bit where Frodo goes to the undying lands. People would have, quite possibly, hated it.

>the enemy has flying creatures
This is probably the most important part. At least on land they had the option of hiding from anything in the sky. One seagull under Sauron's control could have fucked em

>but I've yet to see any hard factual evidence of it
Remember the pirates in Return of the King? They didn't just teleport to Gondor. A big part of the reason why Minas Tirith was left to fend for itself without help from the rest of Gondor was that those guys were attacking from the south and the west, sailing down the rivers towards the city.

The scouring of the shire makes absolutely no sense from a story perspective
I get what Tolkien is saying with it, but he allowed messaging to get in the way of story structure and it really detracts from the narrative as a whole.
If anything it should've been a mini-sequel the same way the Hobbit is a mini-prequel.

It's honestly not exciting enough to stand on its own as a movie.

They come home, Shire's fucked, they manage to fight back and oust Saruman and that's it. Not much actually happens.

In the book they can't actually harm anyone. because they're ghosts. They just scare the shit out of the pirates and such, then Aragorn + some Rangers + Gondorian Knight reinforcements take the ships and attack from the same direction as the movie. After that he releases them.

You’re coming from the mindset of someone whose nation has Naval dominance and annihilated the threats of enemy fleet action and piracy centuries ago. We see no evidence that any of the peoples of the West of Middle Earth have any sort of Naval Power.

The Black Fleet sails right to Gondor without seemingly having taken much hassle on the way just as Barbary Pirates harassed England and France right up to the 18th century.

90-95% of the danger is in Mordor itself so sailing there wouldn't really help. Assuming they even have ships to use sauron has allies with powerful navies so the sea, especially south of Gondor isn't necessarily safe.
Also probably easier to notice a ship making a beeline towards Mordor when no other ship would be than two hobits wandering the countryside.

Monte-
Negro

how did they get away with this?

I mean he could've expanded it into it's own book

oh yeah, that could have been interesting

this is such an interesting idea to me because 99% of medieval battles were won by morale shock and rout rather than complete destruction of one side
The idea of having a ghostly cavalry-like force that can charge and scare the shit out of people, but has to be quickly followed up before the enemy realizes the ghosts can't do anything could give such dimension to battles

>I was only prentending to be retarded

Around elves, never relax.

Around elves, watch yourselves

>a place so shitty it's called the brown lands

Attached: C2H7s8x.jpg (536x479, 54K)

My boy you forgot about the corsairs and the harad which in your planned journey the fellowship would go right through, also you have em end up having to go through either the stair case which I doubt they could traverse safely (much more stealthily) or the black gate which wouldn't work in the end.

Would have been kino to see all the open steppes, easterlings and then the not shit part of Mordor where all the Orcs live.

More like
>A territory is expanded and bound by the mountain chain and provides a natural defensive border
What is Switzerland, northern Italy, northern Spain and southern France, brainlet

>Aragon not keeping the dead army for the final fight

they were only a one time use thing, he could have kept them for longer but it would have been dishonourable. Also sauron was a necormancer so he probably could have taken control of the army

>bottom-right
“Here be legion of orcs eager to invade and destroy the world of man”
Yeah ok god

Attached: eagles.jpg (871x768, 108K)

Based dnd nerd

Let me guess, Finland?

>Funny, a large ocean seems like the perfect place to hide.
This is a great opinion assuming you're retarded

Actually you can because Mystra's ban on 10th plus circle spells doesn't apply in Middle-Earth.

I don't think you have ever sailed. It's extremely fucking dangerous without modern equipment.

Silmarillion feels gnostic with all the shit about some people having "seen the light" and Melkor searching for the Flame Imperishable and stuff, but I'm pretty brainlet in these matters.

So?

>90%
lmao you think 10% of people in the world have read The Silmarillion? Nice retard statistics.
Also shut the fuck up if you haven't read it.
>Tolkien put his love into the trilogy, not the silmaril.
Tolkien considered The Silmarillion his magnum opus, LOTR was just a sequel to The Hobbit and he wrote The Hobbit after his publisher told him they wouldn't publish anything like The Silmarillion.

So it’s a mannequin!

No it’s not.

why is he almost puking? it's the trailer that bad?

>lmao you think 10% of people in the world have read The Silmarillion?

I think at least that many have tried.

The Eagles were waiting to give Gandalf and his friends a ride to Mordor, They never showed up

It's been stated that Tom and Ungoliant are older than Middle Earth

my headcannon is that after spending so much time underground the Balgrog ability to fly deteriorated significantly

You think 770 million people have tried to read The Silmarillion? Lord of The Rings has sold like 150 million.
American brains at work

great job faggot, you sure showed that user
he'll know better than to use a simple figure of speech while you, king autist, are around

his "simple figure of speech" was retarded. Don't say something specific like "90% of the world" if you don't mean anything close to that.
The actual common figure of speech would've been to say "99% of people". I wouldn't have commented on that because it's an actual thing that people say.

don't reply to me, i don't care

Check

Why didn't they just dig deep enough to find lava?
How deep was Moria?

You replied to me saying some shit, so obviously you cared.

Attached: mfw I read ur post.webm (600x336, 874K)

yeah you're right i cared enough to call you a faggot
another great catch, king autist

It touches me how much you care

Comfiest route coming through

Attached: Best_Hiking_route.jpg (4000x3000, 2.73M)

someone has to my lonely friend

Honestly Europe so Aesthetically pleasing

because they should have gone to Círdan first who is the only one near the Shire who can build proper ships.

Attached: 1568860516822.jpg (794x596, 528K)

>lonely friend
I hope that's an oxymoron
I'm tired of being alone in crowded rooms

tl;dr a retard who never read Silmarillion.
The answer is simple, the god of the sea would've killed them.

>The ring is lost to the murky depths
There's a reason they didn't throw the ring into the ocean

what is it, some sea monster?

fake news elves feared the water and told lies

>Why didn't they take the eagles to Mordor? It's a meme, but it's a legitimate question.
The whole point was to keep their mission secret so Sauron wouldn't realize what they were trying to do. If the eagles suddenly showed up in Mordor he would just shoot them down and take his ring back.

good comments
"I don't care about anything bro, you're autistic"
At least I corrected a dumb saying, your replies are pointless.

I imagine the arrows only piss them off.

Sea Monsters, other creatures, and the fact that geography changes and it could just as easily spit the ring back out.

They had it in hand and that was their biggest advantage.

Whats the deal about >divine intervention to destroy the ring?
Ive only watched the movies so i dont know

South eriador was crawling with the ringwraiths looking for them and loads of men who are vassals/agents of Sauron and Saruman.

This. Late third age is a pretty fucked time, not the worst in the world's history but still pretty grim.

this shit is so cliche
>barbarian northmen region separated by a body of water for viking raids
>le strong navy country off the west coast
>generic mongol steppe area of nothingness in the northeast
>generic rival nations in western mainland
>le elf country of many islands in the south
>suddenly a ton of mountains separating civilization from the lands of evil, "black sea" might as well call it "sea of mordor"

Tolkien stated in a letter that "the author intervened, and when I say author, I don't mean me". Eru gave Frodo a nudge.

Oh alright

prod fag

So from the Shire to Mordor as the crow flies it's only 800 miles? This map is tiny.

t. larper

The ring is literally impossible to destroy (unless you're tom)

Whos tom?

idk but have some of my lotr related artwork

excuse the potato camera but the artwork itself is about 40 years old

Attached: wraith.jpg (640x480, 33K)

Attached: treefag.jpg (640x480, 66K)

Attached: sadgandalf.jpg (640x480, 87K)

>What is getting fucking killed?

Attached: nazgul.jpg (640x480, 76K)

Attached: minastirith.jpg (640x480, 65K)

Attached: goblin party.jpg (640x480, 90K)

Attached: gandalfandbilbo.jpg (640x480, 95K)

Attached: beorn.jpg (640x480, 66K)

>All you'd need to do is just sneak past the easterlings.
Let's just sneak past one of the most competent armies in the world through their home territory.

>the spiders and dol goldur got btfo
They didn't and Khamul was still a thing.

oh no no no no no

Attached: 1559247628599.png (676x593, 40K)

>north sea
>is actually in the middle of the map
God you fucking hack, fix this

Attached: bad map design.jpg (1080x1155, 226K)

Reverse search gives nothing. Sauce please