So I just finished watching this and I couldn't help but think what the fuck is wrong with the Greeks?

So I just finished watching this and I couldn't help but think what the fuck is wrong with the Greeks?
I initially thought the movie poster here was of them each hugging a lobster claw, though, on further inspection, it's just them hugging the other.
The plot leaves much to conjecture as you're thrown headfirst into the story, though it's not that hard to piece together, even if most would call them holes to be filled, which I am one of them.
There's an awkward, nervous stiffness to people's movements, actions, and phrases, though this could be due to nature of the film, the direction of the director, and the script's writing. I thought this was due to the fact everyone is telling the truth, but everyone is much more relaxed and natural when lying or expressing emotion, so this may have been what the story was going for. That, and people would have reason to act this way given the circumstances presented in the movie.
The scenery was nice and seeing John C Riley perform was a surprising treat, however, if odd, foreign films questioning the meaning of a difficult, complex subject is not your cup of tea, you may not enjoy this.
There is a sort of bittersweet "happy" ending, however, as with much of the film, it is left entirely up to the audience as to what transpires.
Also, there were too many jews.
6/10

Attached: What the fuck did I just watch.png (1280x721, 336K)

>the review seems pretty positve
>oh no the jooz are in the movie 6/10
Rly

While the movie is barely well made, the plot and ending are non-sensical. It's not a funny movie, it doesn't have a moral or greater meaning to it, and the characters aren't enjoyable to watch or listen to, it just is.
If you like depressing movies that dress themselves up as an art student's project, you'll enjoy the film. For everyone else, it's not that great.

ITT people with brain’s infested by capeshit try to watch movies made by artists instead of a factory

>>whaa why is it weird
>>people DO NOT behave like that sir!
>>plotholes

Babies.

>it doesn't have a moral or greater meaning to it,
And that's where you're wrong. The movie demonstrates the absurdity of modern dating. One character says his defining trait is his limp, and he spends the rest of the film looking for a girl who limps, because they would be perfect together. And there's the guy who pretends to have nosebleeds so he can get the nosebleed girl to marry him. If you don't see any social commentary in that I don't know what to tell you.

I enjoyed the movie simply for the fact that it was the a love story that has little to no actual romance in it. It's a love story about society forcing you into relationships or forcing you out of them and it's brilliant.

this

>not funny
I'll take absurdist dark humour over quips any day.

>what the fuck is wrong with the Greeks?
Dom't watch dogtooth then

There was plenty of romance. The man was providing food/gifts, they learned their own secret language, they kissed, had sex, hung out together, killed, and even went as far as doing everything they could to be together.
Those were the same characters. Did you even watch the film?

It was weird for weirdness sake.
There was no explanation as to why people are like that.
It was not a great movie, it was painfully average and dull.

In my headcanon the film takes place in a near-future where for some unknown reason everybody has autism.

>>what is style

Don’t worry baby, next MCU movie is just around the corner. Watch Iron Man reruns until then. Or the new Godzilla movies, same shit.

You say that like it’s a bad thing if it’s weird.

Dialogue like in The Killing of a Sacred Deer? That movie was kino, should I watch The Lobster then?

it was alright. it had some funny moments but is pretty spot on

>I initially thought the movie poster here was of them each hugging a lobster claw
you're fucking stupid lmao

Literally everything else Lanthimos made this decade was kino.

Dogtooth apparently is some kinda commentary on the Greek government but to an American eye, it's some kinda fucked up family film that doesn't feel lolsoerandum. Also there's an unsimulated sex act.

Alps is weird but solid. Worth a watch but the stifled dialogue works less with the conventional camera work. Better than Lobster.

Sacred Deer has Colin Farrels best performance. Barry Keown or however you spell it is batshit and the film overall is uneasy and has no real explanation for everything. No handholding.

The Favourite is one of the more interesting films that the Oscar's have embraced this decade. Probably Lanthimos's crowning achievement that happens to be his most successful.

Favourite > KSD >>> Lobster > DOGSHIT > Dogtooth

It really ain't that complicated. Overall theme of the movie is that love isn't blind just short sighted (why Farrel's character doesn't stab himself in the eye at the end).
Just takes dating and portrays it with absurdly literal metaphors, Refn does similar.
It appears deep but really isn't.
Good movie though. Aslong as you have passable style as a director you don't need a 'deep and meaningful' story.

Lanthimos is based, one of the best directors working today. Dogtooth is my favorite of his

it wasnt for weirdness sake, it was an attempt to make this very different world real, where things that are horrifying to us are natural law to them and vice versa

Oh, look. The A24 shill strike again.