What's some epic kino?

What's some epic kino?

Attached: dam-images-set-design-cleopatra-cleopatra-set-design-01.jpg (600x450, 113K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Rj0VyfFiC8Q
imdb.com/title/tt0060401/
youtube.com/watch?v=6xFttJAKajA
youtube.com/watch?v=MCY9CuTG-rQ
youtube.com/watch?v=S2eIC4YiEq8
youtube.com/watch?v=gRo7rjAiAw8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Napoleon by Abel Gance

For me, it's the original The Ten Commandments

Attached: city of demille.jpg (928x523, 92K)

The Robe
It's about a Roman tribune and his slave sent to Israel by the Emperor when Jesus gets crucified, then they decide they hate the Romans after Jesus dies and start wrecking everybody's shit

Gladiator but you knew that
Centurian
Rome

demetris and the gladiators is better

The Fall of The Roman Empire 1963 and that one Babylon scene from that 1920's movie I cant remember the name of.

Attached: Scene-The-Fall-of-the-Roman-Empire.jpg (1498x1000, 155K)

Intolerance?

How much would these cost to make today?

There's like 30 different cuts Which one should I watch

bingo

Attached: Griffith_intolerance.jpg (1800x1472, 945K)

Rome was pretty rad
Antony and Cleopatra are goals

Same

It isnt that expensive. What's expenisive is directors who doesnt know what they are doing or havent the film finished in their head so they end up shoting a fuckton of coverage and hope to make the film in edit. It costs your annual sallery every day just to keep 100-150 people on set for a shoot.
That's what makes studios tank.

They built similar things for HBO's Rome.

It's just that producers wants their films and shows to be infinitely malleable down to 2 days before theatre release or first airing.
Plus, large sets require a fuckload of pre prod. Most shows and films these days barely see 6-8 months of pre prod while 1-2 years used to be the standard.

It's a combination of laziness, impatience and a lack of confidence in their own art as a product.

Attached: vfx011.jpg (1024x576, 453K)

lawrence of arabia
alexander
troy
fearless (2006)
master and commander
gladiator
the fall
kingdom of heaven

Ben Hurr

Attached: last of the mohicans 01.jpg (580x241, 21K)

>mfw this is a list of all my favorite movies

5 star list right here op

The BFI one.

El Cid
War and Peace (1966)
The Deluge
The Agony and the Ecstasy
Alexander Nevsky
Patton
Ran
Spartacus
Dr Zhivago
Samson and Delilah
The Ten Commandments

youtube.com/watch?v=Rj0VyfFiC8Q
imdb.com/title/tt0060401/

but only in a high-res digitally restored version

youtube.com/watch?v=6xFttJAKajA

Attached: Poster - Robe, The_03.jpg (1420x1100, 463K)

200-400 millions. But you'll never see anything like that again since CGI is much safer and you can fake your costs pretty well.

This mostly, they'd be as expensive as the big films coming out right now. Thing is there are very few directors capable to handle them. I guess Ridley Scott would but he can't pick a script to save his life. Nolan shoots on time and budget but he's a hack.

Cleopatra had such an amazing movie set.

Attached: 21321312312.jpg (900x600, 191K)

Lawrence Of Arabia featured an actual charge of roughly 1,000 actual Bedouin, a scene which had to be shot several times. To cover the tracks of the camels in the sand from previous shots they hired the entire tribe to shuffle around the desert wearing brushes on their feet to smooth out the sand
If that ain't kino then I don't fucking know what is

Attached: LOA.jpg (304x445, 32K)

Bondarchuk’s epics absolutely mogs Lawrence of Arabia in terms of scale. His battle of Borodino is probably the best battle in any historical epic.

The virgin plebeian
The chad patrician

Waterloo is the biggest technical prowess imo, and objectively the better directed battle although I really like the darker tone of Borodino in War and Peace.
The poor guy is too often passed over by mediocre directors when he has one of the most impressive filmographies in the history of film
I fucking wish Waterloo and War and Peace were restored and re-released in theaters for fuck's sake, it's a scandal that these amazing works are in such a piss poor condition.

I feel that Borodino had the greater sense of chaos, spontaneity, and scale typical of great Napoleonic battles than Waterloo. Napoleon being this silent observer, seemingly unperturbed by all the uncertainty, death, and destruction around him, who’s observing the battle all at once and everything moving back and forth from Pierre’s perspective was great. The sporadic flow of the battle is captured really well.However, this style of direction suited War and Peace. Waterloo is much better if you want a more technical, omnipotent, and “refined” depiction of a battle. You’ll barely understand what exactly happened in Borodino from the film other than Russia wank and Napoleon faltering from either age or the brutality of fighting.
Janus films re-released it in cinemas and both Rusfilm and Criterion released excellent restorations of the movies. It’s probably the best we’re ever gonna get, considering how poorly kept the films were.

Attached: QUO VADIS.jpg (789x1080, 212K)

>i frickin love rome!!!!!
>basedjak.jpg

Highly underrated

Attached: Quo_Vadis-112460472-large.jpg (1472x1074, 133K)

Borodino and Waterloo are two very different battles and Bondartchuk nailed how each went perfectly.
But Waterloo (the movie) is clearer in its depiction of the battle because, well, that's what's it's about. Point of view are multiples and here to give a full overview of the fighting. Whereas Borodino in War and Peace is narrated by Tolstoi from the point of view of a couple of characters only, the audience only sees the battle through the eyes of these characters, and Bondartchuk nailed that perfectly as well.
But from a pure technical standpoint, Waterloo has just more of everything, more budget, more trained soldiers as extras, more costumes, more horses, more canons, more time to shoot, etc.
There is just so fucking much going on on every single shit it's insane, the backgrounds are always in full action, etc.
They're both amazing, but Waterloo is just impossible to top, there will literally never be as big of a battle recreated on screen with such precision.

>tfw Griffith and DeMille sets are now archaeological dig sites

Attached: 80c9da9924fdd9f54c5b7311e358dbfb.jpg (580x388, 64K)

War & Peace, the russian one
Intolerance

God I need to re watch War and Peace
It wasn't that good but good damn those battles

how are the peace parts of the movie? one of my favorite books and not sure if i want to see a movie of it

The English Patient has its place. A little bit melodramatic but Fiennes redeems all.

Attached: EnglishPatient-Almasy.jpg (1200x600, 325K)

There's a place for cgi in composition in a modern high budget epic but it usually get's used as a shitty copypaste on foreground objects.
Like the same 30 soldiers plastered across 10,000 people.

I have not read the books, but I really like any peace scene that has the following:
>dancing
>andrei
>pierre

Around the last 4th of the movie, when the French gets to Russia, it kinda slows down a bit but it's still pretty good imo.

I'll 2nd Dr. Zhivago. Really really good.

Attached: doctor Z.jpg (2103x2560, 551K)

How long do sets like these take to make? Where do they find all the materials?

Andrei Rublev; the bell sequence is one of the best ever filmed.

I’ve only really seen Ben-Hur and Ten Commandments but both are absolute kino.

Good choice

A few months, plaster, and a lot of money

The peace parts are just as good as the war parts.

Every scene with Natasha was kino.

Which W&P are you anons talking about? The one with Hepburn?

Attached: war-and-peace-1200-1200-675-675-crop-000000.jpg (1200x675, 67K)

Decent. Pierre' actor (the director) was too old for the role, Natasha's actress is pretty bad. They did get Andrei right I think.
I didn't ruin the book for me, but there's not enough focus on Pierre.
The based Bondarchuk one

>And yet, after an hour or two, these reliefs become *exhausting*, even oppressive! And after walking around the whole enormous area... one begins to feel, "hoh, not another relief, for Pete's sake!" The reason? Because they are propaganda. Repeated as relentlessly as propaganda in Hitler's Germany or Stalin's Russia, although there's a good deal more art. If repetition is the essence of propaganda, they certainly achieve it!
youtube.com/watch?v=MCY9CuTG-rQ

Attached: Ken Clark.png (951x713, 728K)

Thank you

Attached: 28891id_009.jpg (3830x1624, 2.08M)

She's good. What I remember was the time when she was planning to run away. She had lots of thoughts that made me see how young and naive she really is.

Bondarchuk's war and peace with Paul Dano as Pierre would be the greatest thing ever put on screen
Too bad he was pretty much the only really good thing about the 2016 verdion

Natasha was fine. I don't get this meme of hating her actress.

peak mattekino

>Natasha
>bad
She’s by far the best film version of the character. Everyone else is too old and not Russian compared to the book Natasha. Audrey’s Natasha on the other hand was a travesty.
Yeah the second part is my favourite. She captures Natasha’s youth, beauty, and naivety really well. It sets up her flaws and mistakes very naturally. Natasha’s first kiss was also a great scene and allowed Bondarchuk to shine as a director.

What are some essential Bondarchuk kinos?
I've only watched War and Peace

A few suggestions that are different from the sword and sandal ones that seem to be cropping up

>Giant
The story of a rich cattle baron and his poor ranch hand throughout the years from the early 1900s to the 50s. James Dean's last movie Also has Elizabeth Taylor

>Heaven's Gate
A western so long it requires 2 discs to watch. Ruined Michael Cinimo's career and brought about the end of the 70s auteur era of filmmaking. Kris Kristofferson and Christopher Walken.

>Once Upon a Time in the West
A Sergio Leone western. You should already know this. Amazing score. Henry Fonda, Charles Bronson, and Claudia Cardinale

>The Aviator
The story of director, engineer, businessman, investor, and daredevil Howard Hughes. Covers his rise to fame as well as his struggles with OCD among other problems. Leonardo Dicaprio (I think he should have won an oscar for this over the Revenant)

>Ran
A Japanese Samurai movie loosely based on Shakespeare, directed by Kurosawa. Gorgeous colors and cinematography. Features battles with thousands of men in samurai gear as well as castle sieges.

>The Alamo
John Wayne's personal project that he wanted to make. Large numbers of Mexican soldiers attacking the famed mission give the movie a sense of scale. You know how this one ends

>The Longest Day
An extremely long retelling of the hours just preceding and just after the D-Day landings. Features an all star who's who cast including John Wayne, Richard Burton, Sean Connery, and Henry Fonda among others. Required three directors to film.

>Lawrence of Arabia
>Dr Zhivago
>The Bridge on the River Kwai
>Passage to India
Four great movies about trains.

Attached: image.jpg (1024x552, 134K)

One more Lean kino

Attached: image.jpg (630x472, 28K)

Choo choo!

This

robert tayor's out of place straight-out-of-a-western accent is totally distracting, but still a great movie.

>promentory intensifies
Without a doubt my favorite Michael Mann film.

Attached: 8d07d2b2bf8ad3d584e0ba6a346549c1.png (1920x1080, 1.73M)

Underrated
youtube.com/watch?v=S2eIC4YiEq8

is that yul brynner with his own hair or a wig?

Was Nero properly portrayed in this film? He came off as an easily manipulated man child of sorts in the film.

Attached: 1552639633985.jpg (600x637, 43K)

Most beautiful still in all cinema.

That is so sad. ARMOND is right.

Beautiful? Nah, not even close.
Spectacular? It sure is up there.

I'm not sure. He had to replace Tyrone Power when he died during production, so they might have made him wear a wig for consistency.

Remastered blu-ray release and rip of remastered The Message fucking never.

youtube.com/watch?v=gRo7rjAiAw8

The attention to craft, combination of both scale and detail (Zoom IT), composition, costumes, just try to imagine all the work that went to this. Such awesome display of creativit and power. Like the other guy said studios won't even try one of these, let alone all of them. Post a better kinostill if you dare.

They filmed this at the dunes down by my house. After filming they left some of the sets and on certain days you can see them burried in the sand.

Attached: Nipomo Egyptian Sphinx discovery _OP_5_CP__1511825148384_9462560_ver1.0_1280_720.jpg (1280x720, 237K)

all that sure. But it isnt beautiful, it's awesome, as in the literal sense of the word. There's a difference.

Kino thread.

Watch Ivan the Terrible by coolguy Russian homosexual Eisenstein, in two parts. It's both epic and expressionist, scary stuff. Communist demon supreme STALIN hated part II.

Attached: Ivan-the-Terrible.jpg (320x264, 34K)

IM GONNA FUCKING COOM

It's art you closed minded fuck.
Therefore open to any and all interpretation.
No ones opinion is wrong.

>Therefore open to any and all interpretation.
>No ones opinion is wrong.

Attached: 1499807033152.jpg (223x349, 36K)

jesus christ, the coloring of this one...

Attached: 1pbwpr7L j.png (649x584, 655K)

Do you mean beautiful as in apollonian? If so, I will leave it at that. But I think the ultimate level must be tragic, both apollonian and dyonisian. TOO bad I mostly forgot the aesthetics class. La mala educación.2

The Babylon scene has all the feminine, carnivalesque, but also the symetry, lines and all stuff . AT the same time it is also virile as fuck and even menacing in its sheer exhuberance.

Attached: 22847056916.jpg (1125x1500, 139K)

No Roman emperor has ever been accurately portrayed. Imagine people in 2000 years studying Trump through torn fragments of NYT articles

>AT the same time it is also virile as fuck and even menacing in its sheer exhuberance.
And that's kinda the reason I dont consider it beautiful.
It's a very impressive shot, but it's a spectacle, it's to loud for me to consider it "beautiful".

An artist surely can. Watch proper cinema.

Holy fuck I just finished it lads
It was incredible though the romance bit was too long

Attached: 512px-20140827_Kotsende_molenpoes_Woldzigt_Roderwolde_Dr_NL.jpg (512x384, 79K)

Yeah both good. Victor Mature was great.