Good Horror Movies

In an age where it seems as though horror movies are becoming more and more watered down to satiate the visual cravings of an elementary and easily stunned audience, what are some actually scary horror movies that aren't that well known or movies that critics may overlook?

Attached: EEEk.jpg (1000x1000, 230K)

tourist trap

bubba ho-tep

my life

the thing is arguably the best horror movie

Attached: wtf.jpg (2764x4096, 956K)

Yeah bro I watch movie video essays on YouTube too

that's tcm

>zoomer horror

Attached: 18829384.png (230x219, 16K)

>thinks “it” is a good horror movie

i watched 3 horror movies yesterday and liked them all, they were As Above So Below, Pyramid, and Dark Skies. First two are similar, spooky underground passage stuff. AASB is the better one. Dark Skies is alien stuff.

yeah that's a good one

You might want to try the latest bone chilling, slow burn, atmospheric and character driven release from A24

Attached: 3gmm54aeiscy.png (400x381, 108K)

i was pleasantly surprised by as above so below. it wasn't groundbreaking or anything but i expected pure shit but ended up having a good time. i think it might watch it again tonight now that you brought it up.

what was that movie about the plants or something that grew at the top of a Mayan temple or something I don't think it was great but it seemed at least somewhat different

Leaving DC

the ruins
what the hell happened to /ffg/

The Ruins. It's worth a watch.

The Ruins (2008)

The ravages of time.

honestly anything involving traveling into ancient civilization stuff below ground, the occult, etc. i can't pass that up even if it's a bit dumb. Pyramid is like that too but less good.

You know any other such movies? I watched The Tunnel but that didn't work for me, too industrial a setting.

Digging up the marrow.

The Ruins is unwatchable trash.

Got rec'd Lovely Molly the other day and it was surprisingly good. Not the scariest film but an interesting story and idea.

Depends what you're looking for. Very few movies actually scare me anymore, but Hereditary caused me to loose sleep for weeks.

It's really not a bad movie tho, may not be the best of all time but it's absolutely up there for it's narrative and visual effects alone. It has aged extremely well.

Nice, as above was pretty good imo

Better than the pyramid. I couldn't stop laughing at the fucking Anubis fuck

the plot of that movie was artistic as shit everyone knows Americans would have shot all the plants

>Digging up the marrow.
yeah that looks based ty

Only movie Jenna Malone ever looked hot in

you may want to do some research before watching because i barely remember it, but i think afflicted from 2013 deals with similar subjects. it's nothing special but i thought it was pretty cool.

I need a movie that will scar me for weeks, make me look back to the windows at night in a sudden paranoia, that kind of stuff.

Yeah, she's pretty smoking in it. Makes me happy in pants.

unless you’re 12 none will ever again

It's a weird one but I liked it.

Attached: 80b83ab75162b1ddb6ec1ada52cdda6a--movie-trailers-new-trailers.jpg (236x334, 15K)

Aniara still has me kind of messed up but you need to be the right kind of person I think. Like others will say, you'll never be 11 watching the shining for the first time again.

he asked to be scared
he didn’t say shit about needing another reason to kill himself

I remember looking through the window panes at night. Thought there was a dude staring at me through them. It was my cat.

I saw Nightmare on El Street, Jaws and Candyman when I was really young and for years I was afraid of deep/dark water, mirrors and the dark.

I try to find horror movies who can come close to making me feel the same type of dread and terror but nothing comes close.

I dreamed I was old.

Rear Window unironically, it will have you looking out in paranoia.

There was a serial killer landscaper caught in Canada where he'd bury his victims at random clients places.

I bet the yards he landscaped looked fabulous though.

>let dog out
>dog runs around
>pisses
>shits
>digs hole
>pulls out arm
>brings arm back
>yfw

Attached: 1492971300_a horrified expression.png (352x482, 27K)

Lake Mungo: pretty depressing and sometimes paranoia-inducing mockumentary that has a lot of twists.

Attached: death.jpg (1280x720, 19K)

>It's really not a bad movie tho, may not be the best of all time but it's absolutely up there for it's narrative and visual effects alone. It has aged extremely well.
I completely agree user it is a great film, I just don’t agree with people that say it’s the best horror movie ever, usually people who say that are elitist children or people who think anything not made by John Carpenter is bad.

They're just ignorant. It is beaten in every category by other films, whether it be effects, score, acting, concept etc.

Only Lovecraftian films deliver when it comes to horror. This is the definitive list.

Attached: 1545526890819.jpg (2000x5075, 2.9M)

then you have the elitist who say if Steven king didn’t write it then it isn’t horror

Don't know if Sunshine belongs on that list.

I thought The Void was pretty great

The Shining
The Exorcist
28 Days Later
The Thing
Prince of Darkness
In the Mouth of Madness
Silence of the Lambs
The Mist
It Follows
The VVitch
Hereditary
The Bay
The Descent
Session 9
Dawn of the Dead 2005
Freaks
Event Horizon
The Fly
The Devil's Rejects
Pandorum
Saw
Jacob's Ladder
Hills Have Eyes 2006
Poughkeepsie Tapes
Lake Mungo
Ringu
Ju-On
Oculus
The Crazies
Poltergeist
Hellraiser
Sixth Sense
Nightmare on Elm Street (original)

>rec'ing shit that everyone and their mother has seen 59 times
To what end?

Attached: 1567434515664.png (292x389, 195K)

>Hills Have Eyes 2006
Gotta say this is one's a gooder, infact I should give it a rewatch.

>event horizon
>horror
kek

>In literature, horror (pronounced hawr-er) is a genre of fiction whose purpose is to create feelings of fear, dread, repulsion, and terror in the audience—in other words, it develops an atmosphere of horror.
???

Are there any horror films recently involving extra terrestrials that are just creepy? One thing I remember that always creeped me the fuck out was that scene in SIGNS when the ayy lmao just walks across during the birthday party

Spring? Really Yea Forums?

and event horizon did none of that cringe fest through the whole movie

It's a magnificent film, but it isn't really frightening. It doesn't particularly get under your skin and make you feel sick like the greatest horror should.

Maybe if you are a preteen staying up late it might creep you out, but it's merits are elsewhere.

Something like Martyrs is much more disturbing.

if a film uses jump scares then it isn’t horror

Bullshit. Jump scares are null and void if the jump scare is the only thing that creates a fearful reaction. If a jump scare actually contains something horrifying, then the impact is twice as intense.

Fear is fear, you can fuck off with the elitist shit.

Predictability is all that matters really. A jumpscare that is out of left field, jarring, and scary is the best approach. Holding on a door for 30 seconds of silence just to have it slam shut is boring and lame.

Pretty much this, most jump scares are lazily done and are not effective. Here's how most of them go. Character looks out a window to look for scary thing. Character finds nothing and turns around to be met with scary thing with loud sound effect. If its not a jump scare it'll be some shit like the scary thing is in the background and the character is unaware. Either way there both lame and super predictable.

Scatmans death in the shinning is one of the best examples of a good jumpscare to me. You do not expect the film to put so much time and effort into showing the character make it to the lodge only for him to get ax'd the second he walks into the door. Fucking perfect jumpscare with danny's and his screaming in unison while the dad does his weird ax bob thing. Kinda reminds me of the chainsaw dance at the end of texas chainsaw for some reason.