Now that the dust has settled, why was it such a huge failure?

Attached: pokemon_detective_pikachu_photo01.0.jpg (1200x800, 87K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=iyKhZc1ok_k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Why wasn't Ash the protagonist

It wasn't capeshit

wow, I just recall this existed, literally left not cultural impact in the world of pokemon

Grandparents won't take the grandkids to a Ryan Reynolds movie.
Especially if they took them mistakenly to the last "Marvel" Ryan Reynolds movie.
Probably figured it was going to be another "Ted".

You don't cast Andrew "Dice" Clay as Paddington Bear if you want to make money.

They released alongside Endgame for no reason at all.

I'm conviced it was just one faggot at TPC who got assblasted the movie didn't have Lucario in it, so he sabotaged it.

At least 5 movies, if not 6, will gross a billion+ this year without being capeshit.

Maybe WB should stop letting chinks produce their Japanese franchises?

Main character is a nigger

That's the entire reason I didn't watch it

memeing about ethnicity aside, casting a charisma void lead probably didn't help, having someone like one of the stranger things kids or something might have contributed to it doing better.

It's fucking full of Pokemon. Like Transformers, you shouldn't need a young Robert Downey Jr. to sell the film. You just need it to not be absolute shit.
Setting aside the success of Deadpool(s), how many films has Ryan Reynolds killed at this point. 7? 8?

No one but twenty/thirty something redditors cares about Pokemon

I remember some fag claiming it would get to 1 billion because Pokemon go is a super popular game. Lol.

I like pokemon but I hate niggers so I never saw it

Don't forget "All those Youtube views!".
A lot of stupid people on Yea Forums think that signifies something.

The story was boring.

It was just a shitty movie. People wanted Pokemon: The Video Game: the Movie. They got Detective Pikachu.

The trailers sold it as a murder mystery, involving some random kid who doesn't like Pokemon, and Reynolds doing that condescending voice that he thinks is HIGH-LARIOUS but really doesn't work for anyone else.

>No one but twenty/thirty something redditors cares about Pokemon
So you mean the core of the main 18-35 demographic? The ones at the age where people have the highest expected surplus income to spend on tickets and merch without also having kids?

I would have seen it if they had casted Joey Diaz or Danny DeVito instead of reddit reynolds.

PG movies with talking critters make huge money off of Family Night Out, and Grandparents taking the tykes out for a movie (often repeatedly).

Not off of 20-something loners or dates.

This probably also had to do with it, it was just too much of an unconventional concept for it being the first live action Pokemon movie, had they gone for a more vanilla approach that people could relate more easily to the games and anime it might have fared better.

1) wasn’t about the Pokémon games / real franchise. Should’ve been a kid doing some side adventure in the middle of his gym badge hunting
2) a literally 2/10 black male was cast as the lead, extremely ugly with absolutely zero charisma, Hollywood keeps doing this with Zendaya and Tessa Thompson and doesn’t realize somehow that people want to watch attractive human beings on screen, not someone who looks almost deformed
3) releasing next to the highest grossing movie of all time lol

I’d say the above are 40%, 50%, and 10% responsible, respectively

>giving pikachu a fucking normal voice and ability to talk like a person
all pikachu should be doing is going pika pika and shooting lightning. what the fuck were they thinking

It's a video game movie.

Take your 1990s market analysis back where it came from Methuzelah.

>1) wasn’t about the Pokémon games / real franchise. Should’ve been a kid doing some side adventure in the middle of his gym badge hunting
That's what the anime movies are though, and they're all shit

I'd say it was 20% badly sold plot
40% Ryan Reynolds unfunny smug
30% Endgame proximity
10% "Who?" co-lead.

That's because they're anime and as such they keep trying to do Pokemon gods and mystical bullshit that Japs always use to try to paper over the fact that they struggle to write enjoyable stories about relatable human characters

It honestly seemed boring
And all the characters looked bland, and the lead is ugly as fuck, I don't wanna see that el americano for two hours in a big screen.

Theaters are dying as a place to just "see movies". Redbox, Streaming and cheap HD and UHD tvs are killing them.

Movies are a family outing that requires almost no travel/prep, otherwise they draw crowds to movies that are expected water-cooler conversation, where all your friends are expected to have seen it as well.

These mid-tier non-event mediocrities aren't going to make blockbuster money anymore.

The pokemon all have hideous fur all over them. People big into pokemon don't want to see their favorite monsters turned into Critters

The designs were pretty great for the most part though, most actual Pokemon fans liked them
It's only muh gen 1 purists who haven't been fans since the 90s that hate anything different. Those people are a huge majority though

Warnermedia is turning into the Elephant's Graveyard where cultural icons go to expire.

If you have a popular, can't fail franchise and want to drive a stake into its heart, take it to the Warner lot.

Attached: Supergrim.png (612x692, 338K)

Chimp as main character

Eddie Murphy and Adam Sandler did family movies what's your point?

Ryan Reynolds is known for a string of awful flops, and a retardedly bloody superguy film where he constantly pretends to be a homosexual and does shit-tier blue "comedy".
Adam Sandler at least has some genuinely funny movies under his belt, and Murphy will be forever remembered for stuff like Beverly Hills Cop. Murphy's "adult" movies have a similar record to Reynolds, I will admit.

The latest Pokemon games have been focusing more on the human characters though, many would say to the games' detriment, but drawing from that could work for adaptations.

They made a legit kids movie that only had some fan service to Gen-1ers because they forgot that even though their product should be for children the money and the interest is in millennial soibois

Nigger mutt lead. Everything else was okay, having more battles might have helped too

The girls is hot

target audience ( pedophiles ) is too small.

The story. It was atrocious. It made no sense. It jumped all over the place. It was clear there were lots of reshoots and edits by committee.

Characters were constantly just spewing expository dialogue all the time to advance the plot. The concept could have worked, even with the bad lead, if the writing would have been better than absolute shit.

Replace the black adult black pretending he's a teen lead with any of the Stranger Things or IT kids. Fire Ryan Reynolds and use a cute voice.

1. Weak black lead
2. Story is centered around deadbat dad
3. There is one Pokemon battle in the entire movie. Pikachu vs Mewtwo on sky balloons. Its in the last 15 minutes
4. Opening is weak. Just start the movie with youtube.com/watch?v=iyKhZc1ok_k
Even the anime had the sensibility to do that
5. Music was weak, for a franchise FILLED with a lot of music that accompanies setpieces

How to fix:
1. Start on the GBC opening of the games, which is the intro of 2 pokemon trying to duke it out in a stadium. Cutting away to end the opening is fine, just for the love of good keep the music
Starting a movie on hype is fantastic
2. Have more Pokemon battles. 3 or 4 would have increased revenue merely by delivering more fanservice
3. Torterra garden was good, but the rest of the test facility was a waste of screen time. Basically one of the key problems with the movie is that we get some spectacle, but we never get enough of it.
4. Plot is fine, but its too poorly paced. MC being a basic bitch incapable of doing 1+1=2 also hurts the pacing, since he lacks more of the heroic traits Ash has in the Anime. Ash compensates, while this bland charisma void doesn't even have the script to do that for him.

Attached: Pokemon_SilverGold_Palette.jpg (598x463, 77K)

Because it looks like fucking shit. Baffled how this didn't get the a Sonic-tier buzz, this just looks as uncanny.

>terrible plot
>horrible actors
>unconvincing CGI
>Ryan Reynolds is a shit voice actor
>nigger lead

I had soys telling me to like it because of the last point. Horrible film.

>They got Detective Pikachu.

This is what completely killed it, if it was about a young ash starting out as a trainer it could have been 1000X better

I thought it was pretty good. It ain’t a kino but at least it’s a little bit loyal to its source material.

Cast him.

Attached: Ash is a winner.webm (1024x576, 1.57M)

fucking this.

In my country, most people didn't go to watch it specifically because the main character was a nigger.

I'm not kidding.

>why was it such a huge failure?

- Based on fringe spin off shit even most gamers dont know
- Disgusting ugly nigger mutt lead character
- Abstract artstyle and american toilet humor

did he win the filler league or what happened?

>Budget $150 million
>Box office $431.6 million

Pretty sure that's not flop material.

No bare midriffs.

Attached: kasumi.png (153x383, 64K)

Give the IP name it was

I watched the Mewtwo part on youtube, he looked like shit and the dialogue was cliche garbage.

I actually recently watched it. I'm a fan of the games and thought it was an oerall fun watch, the pokemons themselves were done pretty well and for me this was the most important part. But oh boy did they go absolutely fucking cheap on the leads. Why the fuck is that niglet the kid of Reynolds, they don't even look alike enough to make believable that he fathered a black kid.

>want the international aka asian market
>cast a nigger

lmao

I blame casting Ryan Memenolds in the lead. The creative team's original pick was Danny DeVito, which works much better for the crumpled gumshoe detective vibe they were going for.

I remember when Yea Forums said this movie would btfo Disney

Because it wasn’t very good. Outside of the Pokémon scenes it was extremely mediocre and dull.

Main character was some ugly black dude so I passed

I actually thought the Torterra garden was the worst part of the movie

Because it goes on for too long. Lab is a fuckload of nothing, then you get what... 15 minutes of running, jumping and more jumping?

This.
Wait, no, the whole pokemon combining with people thing was the worst part of the whole movie. And that was central to the movie.

Wait, no, wait. The ditto transforming into the girl was the dumbest thing in the entire movie. Why would it do that.

Yeah but he's also meant to credibly be the father of a young adult, Danny DeVito is 74

they should make a live action movie series of the first season of pokemon + the movie

every single one will gross over 1 billion

Not Kawai and an ungly negroid as the main character.
More stunning is thinking Ryan Reynolds character ended fucking the black mother which was damm ugly too. Was unrealistic.

Fuck you. WW, Shazam and Godzilla KOTM was fun.

The Pokemans are grotesque. Why do American fandoms ruin everything?

He won a pokemon trophy.

What the fuck are you talking about. Casting that homo Reynolds was part of the marketing push just because he was in Redditpool.

KotM still bombed regardless of if it was fun or not.

>The ditto transforming into the girl was the dumbest thing in the entire movie.
Ditto was also fun, but they don't do anything with it. Its just a shitty joke.
Instead of having a part of the finale be a hardcore pocket monsters battle vs Ditto.

Attached: Slowpoke_cultistist.png (567x552, 63K)

Pikachu being his dad was a terrible bit of script and could easily have been rewritten. In fact, the entire script was shit from start to finish and having DeVito as pikachu would have forced them to rely less on Reynolds trying to act cute and more on DeVito being PG funny.

Which, now that I think about, was a shitshow in Hercules.

>faggot at TPC who got assblasted the movie didn't have Lucario in it, so he sabotaged it

Attached: Cima with fan.jpg (1024x717, 127K)

Why couldn't they have just made Team Rocket the villains instead of a Scooby Doo twist with some old guy nobody gives two shits about being the big baddie all along?

The biggest redpill is realizing Hercules was a Dreamworks-tier movie.

>Godzilla KOTM
Fuck you. I was excited to see Rodan and KG, and the movie put me to sleep three times because we had "Always right Dad", "Ugly Girl", and "Always wrong Mom" taking up 80% of the screentime.

WHY HAVE FILM MAKERS NOT REALIZED THAT NO ONE EVER GIVES A SHIT ABOUT THE HUMANS IN A GODZILLA MOVIE.

Fuck.

Is the Millie-less cut any good?

When did Pokemon get so Calarts?

This season, but they are apparently rebooting it this November so hopefully we get a not-dogshit artstyle next.

It seemed to be targeted towards millennials, and they do go to movies except for the newest MCU shit

Did you mean to say that?