/trek/

Dax edition

Attached: Dax.jpg (1920x826, 329K)

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/d21zk8/michael_dorn_appearing_in_star_trek_picard/?st=k0dcrx6d&sh=03e2580a
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Season 1 best season.

Attached: tng_season1cast.jpg (1200x945, 190K)

Data can tell you exactly how many times each of the bridge officers farted while on duty.

I know its generally seen as pretty boring but dam early ds9 is super comfy, at least now that ive seen the series a few times

It was before the ruined the ferangue storyline with so much feminist bs. God damn i hate quarks mom.
How did no one see she was abusing the ferangi king and was most likely micro dosing his brain with poison

engage

yea quarks mom and bashirs turboauism are the worst story lines, moreso with bashir, that shit killed him

S1-3 DS9 & VOY > S4-7 DS9 & VOY

moogie haters suck my cut dick

>That's right, my favorite series is Enterprise
>Why yes, I am cut

Is /trek/ 12 now?

>a few times

>the ferangue storyline

Attached: 5222222222.png (488x658, 434K)

>the ferangi king

Attached: 1539267833482s.jpg (250x241, 7K)

fag

yes ok its been 4 or 5 times

liar

You haven't fucking seen ds9 4 fucking times

Attached: 1547356035228.jpg (1024x512, 102K)

yeah

i'm 34

Attached: creep.jpg (480x705, 107K)

Just a baby

I'm 25 but intellectually I still pass for 12-14

lol

and you?

I'm so old, I remember ads on the internet.

post ur age and if u like star trek

18, I like Discovery

72 and no I don't liek star trek

The Trekkie checklist 2.0

1 point is earned for every true statement.

1. Lives with parents.
2. Pale skin.
3. Overweight.
4. Says things like "I like having the physical boxes".
5. Picky with food.
6. Doesn't shower every day.
7. Wears glasses or contacts.
8. Has dandruff.
9. Virgin.
10. Masturbates into sheets without using a jizzrag.
11. Bullied in school.
12. Has an unusual first name, like Drey or Layland.
13. Thinks friends on the internet are worth the same as friends irl.
14. Skips romantic scenes.
15. Unemployed.
16. Has Phimosis.

22 and I like at the star treks except STD

69 and I sort of like it

tom paris is my favorite character in star trek

Attached: grunch.gif (544x560, 438K)

5 points, how do I do

He is not.

sorry

m8 you underestimate my autism, ive seen ds9 4 or 5 times as I said, tng 3, tos once, enterprise twice, voyager once, and ive also watched farscape twice, sg1 and atlantis twice, BSG once, and b5 7 times, and this is all in the last 4-5 years give or take

seven

Friendly reminder that Data is a computer, nothing more. No divine spark, no empathy, no consciousness. Just wires and microchips, nuts and bolts.

Post your top 5 characters in no particular order
>tuvok
>kira
>bones
>riker
>archer

I'm in awe. What's your life like?

nope

yes he is

2x speed mom drives me to doctor visits so I can get drugs

The dumbest part about VOY is that the showrunners felt they had to set it in a new quadrant, as though the Alpha Quadrant's been spent and there's nothing more to see there. In reality, One quadrant alone would contain far more worlds and species than a show could ever hope to portray.

Only 8 points for me. Do I still pass, FBI man? Can I spy on nerds for you in exchange for Doritos?

Attached: sloane.jpg (696x354, 57K)

which ones

keek

You have to score 9 or above.

I was brutally honest with myself and I got 4 points. But 7? 8? I'm worried about you two.

I used to have normal life with friends and women and stuff but now its all shit and sci fi kino is basically all I have left

>Have you met Sloane's mentally disabled sister, Slow-Anne?

reddit.com/r/startrek/comments/d21zk8/michael_dorn_appearing_in_star_trek_picard/?st=k0dcrx6d&sh=03e2580a

Worf is going to be in Picard. What are the odds we'll get a Worf Chronicles series within the next few years?

Attached: 1562029883583.gif (300x226, 2.87M)

2, 4, 5, 7, 10, 12, 13
now tell me yours

PROMENADE

Attached: PROM.jpg (315x273, 14K)

Yes, yes tell me more about your failures. Don't be afraid to be specific.

I could try for 9. Only the best of the best for section 31, right?

Attached: Malcolm_Reed,_2151.jpg (953x953, 436K)

3, 4, 6 (99% of days but I'll take it anyway), 8, 13
tom paris is my favorite character in star trek

Attached: 1565305928691.jpg (1600x1304, 199K)

>Worf is going to be in Picard.
as transgender

2, 4, 6, 7

those shit everywhere

This is certainly the position taken by Bashir, Bareil, and Winn.

you should shower everyday, user

Not a lot to tell, started having health problems and couldn't party and socialize well anymore and had trouble keeping a job to fund a social life anyway, so I became more isolated, eventually everyone moved away and now sci fi kino is basically all I have

Hello, fellow anonymous person/s!
Will you be watching season three of Star Trek: Discovery® on CBS All Access?

I'm having trouble seeing the common theme there. But good question.
Isn't it possible a sufficiently advanced set of programming and hardware leads to actual sapient consciousness? Where is the line? I'm not saying I believe that, but it is the main thrust of any argument against The Chinese Room. What are your thoughts?

>VF masturbates into his sheets without using a jizzrag

Welp, time to jerk off.

Attached: crys.jpg (1536x791, 143K)

>Isn't it possible a sufficiently advanced set of programming and hardware leads to actual sapient consciousness?
No, a computer can only ever do precisely what it was programmed to do.

yes

bullshit you got that

>What are your thoughts?
One definition of a computer is a machine for which the halting problem is undecidable. This means that it's impossible to write a computer program that can carry out robust analysis of computer programs, which means that it's impossible to write a computer program that robustly writes other computer programs. That's not only a fatal problem for people holding out for the singularity, it also means that artificial intelligence is impossible, and that computational theory of mind is wrong.

Do you have a cut or uncut dick?

28, and yes but I mostly come to these threads to orbit VF

misanthrope

Fuck you

Attached: no.jpg (480x480, 22K)

"Stop it!" Tilly says and giggles as I pull at her belly, leaving red hand marks. "No, I don't wanna stop!" I reply, smiling. She smiles back at me, happy to finally be appreciated for who she is. "Tonight I'm gonna eat my fill." I say. All she can do is smile and nod, too emotional to answer. We embrace and my hands reach down the back of her pants. The heat of her body surprises me. We kiss and I see a tear in her eye...

Attached: 12222222222.png (741x854, 1.03M)

fuck it, I'm staying here.

Attached: onelastride.jpg (1000x751, 147K)

You're telling me you've showered every day of your life? Lies

I don't disagree with either of you as far as classical computers. But singularity zealots would argue we're largely a collection of instincts and experiences not unlike programming. And a quantum computer with similar programming may be indistinguishable from an organic being. What do you think of the possibilities quantum computing opens up? Can my Terminator waifu be sapient?

Attached: 1567976720297.jpg (384x659, 206K)

I see what you did. Well played.
35. (Cut.) Here with love and without irony. And just a smidge sardonic.

Who the fuck allowed Neelix to be a Ferengi?

Attached: ferengix.jpg (842x576, 36K)

9 points
>4.
People who want boxes in the digital age are retarded. Goes for gamers too.
>6.
You don't need to shower every day unless you get dirty or do sweaty work every day. If you just sit around doing fuck all, showering every couple of days is completely fine. arguably better for you, too Just don't be one of these faggots that uses shitty Deodorant instead of showering. Now that's fucking nasty.

A decent casting director who recognized the mad skills?

>dirty stinky asshole tells people they're retarded for enjoying owning things they love
classic trekkie

>Has Phimosis

Attached: 1516289309404.jpg (480x476, 36K)

Would you rather be in a shuttle craft for 72 hrs with Kirk or Neelix?

1-9, though I'm guilty of 10 a few times, and 15 most of the time.

a problem perfect cut dicks don't even know exists

Since they're literally making a show based on a Star Wars side character that had like 5 minutes of screen time and accidentally became a favourite, do you think Trek gets the same treatment and they're gonna make a show about Boothby?

Haven't seen this pasta in a while

If anyone deserves their own show, it's Barclay

startrek: adventures of morn

Boothby was pretty likable. And Starfleet academy is interesting. Even more so than a show about gardening with alien plants.

>35. (Cut.) Here with love and without irony. And just a smidge sardonic.
Hi, J2

Yeah! And why's Picard a Kling?

>uses Deodorant instead of showering.
What's wrong with that if you smell ok?

I'm not good with small talk so I'd take the blue hairdresser to fill the time

Tell me about your day to day.

Greetings. Can we maybe work on that nickname though? It's a bit confusing. And everyone named Jimmy I've ever known personally was a weeping uncut dick.

>Boothby
Sounds like a gritty northern english detective

It's horrifying.

You just identify with him.

# seasons of Morn sitting at the bar, telling fibs.

Nicks have to come naturally, can't really force them.

Expect the unexpected.

Attached: 1546892731858s.jpg (125x123, 3K)

Star Trek

Attached: the hardest metal known the man.png (490x282, 111K)

This is a low watermark.

not you again

I love my milky white skin, I got picked on a little bit but wasn't afraid to stand up for myself, and as for my jizz, I generally just toss it into the room somewhere.

I watched the episode of TNG where the primitive Vulcans think Picard is a god, teared up a little in the scene where he's explaining to the leader woman how cultures grow, overlooking the planet. Pure kino

>as for my jizz, I generally just toss it into the room somewhere.

Attached: fff.jpg (685x602, 97K)

Attached: content.png (1000x556, 41K)

Watch Data's Day. Data never achieves anything on the level of sapient consciousness and does everything based on a set of routines that he emulates. He doesn't understand why sad people pet their cats, he just knows that they do and so he will do it too. He's not sad at breaking up with his girlfriend but he knows a typical human would be sad and emulates that behaviour. Data's Day completely destroys any and all arguments for Data approaching humanity in any way.

At least he tries, you hard hearted grinch.

Being a grinch has nothing to do with it. He objectively does not feel or understand feelings. Data's Day definitively shows us Data's inner monologue and thought process and shows that everything that Picard assumes about him is wrong. He has no conception of what it is he's striving for and merely emulating behaviour does not make him any closer to being a human if he can't understand the reason for why that behaviour exists. He can feign sadness well but we know from Data's inner monologue that he is not sad nor does he understand the meaning behind his actions.

>he can't understand the reason for why that behaviour exists.
Dude, you act like you have to be reflective of your own behavior to qualify as human. That would exclude a lot of people.

It's not merely about being reflective either. People who aren't introspective still do things based off of thoughts and emotions. Data rifles through a data base of behaviours he can emulate and then does them. He pets Spot because that's what he's been taught or programmed to believe that people who are sad would do in his situation. That's not human behaviour at all and if someone does that in real life we would call them mentally disabled.

>That's not human behaviour at all and if someone does that in real life we would call them mentally disabled.
They'd still be human, though. Psychopaths and autists are just as human as everybody else even if they have abnormal brains.

Again, he isn't behaving like a psychopath or a sociopath. Are you being obtuse on purpose? Sociopaths have emotions so its not even a good comparison. It's not about whether he has emotions or not, we know he definitely does not. But its not a situation where he ever learns or has the capacity to grow beyond his base programming and all he does is mimic behavior in a way that modern AI does.

>But its not a situation where he ever learns or has the capacity to grow beyond his base programming and all he does is mimic behavior in a way that modern AI does.
Repeating the same patterns of behavior, regardless of their appropriateness is a very human trait, user.

Again, are you being obtuse on purpose? Speaking is also a human trait. Having human traits does not make you human.

There's severely autistic people who can't function on their own and need constant supervision. Data is way more high functioning than them.

You're listing behaviors that Data displays as arguments for him being far removed from humanity and I explain how these deficiencies are not uncommon in humans.

not that guy, but the only one being obtuse here is you (the giveaway is that you used the word twice, in consecutive posts)

I am a pro analyst of human behaviour. I suggest you address yours.

We're talking about whether or not Data is a sapient being, not whether or not he can walk to the bathroom by himself. Jesus Christ, you're a brainlet.

>Jesus Christ, you're a brainlet.
pweees no add homonem

Attached: 1517575447671.png (796x588, 103K)

Data applies his programming to interact with his environment in a certain way.
Humans apply their brain to do the same.
Neither can somehow "exceed" their own "mind".

Funny how you've actually said nothing in that entire post.

>You're listing behaviors that Data displays as arguments for him being far removed from humanity
No I'm not. Its not about his behaviours, in fact I'm arguing the opposite. Just because Data is capable of emulating human behaviour does not make him a sentient, feeling human.

>Friendly reminder that Data is a computer, nothing more. No divine spark, no empathy, no consciousness
>Isn't it possible a sufficiently advanced set of programming and hardware leads to actual sapient consciousness?
Those are the original posts that sparked this discussion. Arguing that because some autistic people are less capable than Data at functioning in society has nothing to do with whether or not Data has a "divine spark" or anything that seperates him from being a computer. Merely emulating behaviours does not mean that Data has empathy or sapience, or sentience. He emulates behaviours using algorithims from a checklist of behaviours he's seen other people do. We can do that with AI today. The only reason you think that Data is any different is because he's put into a human-like shell that makes you anthropomorphize a machine. He's no different from a computer, he's just more sophisticated and more capable of tricking people like you into thinking he's not.

Instead of thinking about how Data is similar to humans, think about how Data is different from a computer and why Data deserves to be given more rights than an AI we are able to create today.

And yet small talk is my reason for not wanting haircuts. But I appreciate the deep pull.

I don't actually want to manufacture one. I just dislike being Jimmy Lite. It's like being JJ Uhuru.

Different user. Original question asker. You make great points, but I wonder if the premise of Data not having emotion or understanding context is flawed. Think about trying to make a robot with even a fraction of Data's ability. His improvisation alone is godlike by current computing standards. We can't build a Roomba that understands anything. It's rote behavior cleverly written to eventually (hopefully) clean your carpet thoroughly. It's cleverly written rote behavior that makes us thrust our genitals around to make more humans. Even though it's dumb. So maybe Data does have instincts and self awareness of a higher order. And maybe high enough to be consciousness. Maybe it's artificial simulation of what organic sapient beings experience, but at what point does that invalidate you as an individual? Certainly many aliens also have a different experience from the average human.

Attached: c8684a025ff65c17c1608f5e37a02477.jpg (491x380, 24K)

>Just because Data is capable of emulating human behaviour does not make him a sentient, feeling human.
There's the problem with psychopathy again. They have major emotional deficiencies and often repeat criminal behavior even though they intellectually understand that they are likely to get caught and imprisoned. (Do not learn) Would you describe them as sentient, feeling humans?

I said you are being obtuse and that you should address your own behaviour. How you speak to people is a very good indicator of your inner state - if you can control that, and not come off like an absolute douche, you will find that life becomes much easier for you.

snee-app!

>Have amazing tech that could be used to expedite learning, life decisions, literally fucking anything you can imagine
>use it to drive people crazy

Attached: Miles_O'Brien_after_20_yrs.jpg (871x871, 51K)

Bri-Bri was never the same.

You're too diplomatic. People don't get fired up over niceties.

>383rd is Data human debate

Attached: 1565953168785.jpg (306x306, 29K)

I don't think it's really about Data. I think it's about whether the singularity fags might be partly right. Not in the sense that throwing more clock cycles at something magically makes sapient beings magically "emerge." But that there's a question relevant to our future in that story.

If it walks like a duck and talks like a duck...

wtf is 383rd

It's an Android?

47 I like STD

Would be funny if Picard ordered Data to rat out everyone who farted on the bridge lmaooo

What would you suggest I do? I can't tear my shirt and fire torpedoes to force people to engage in meaningful conversation to ease our mutual isolation. Can i?

>Mr. Data... C-Could you um, describe in detail what Counselor Troi's farts smell like so I could uh, program them into the holodeck?

Attached: Holosex.png (494x355, 231K)

Then why dont you want a show about jadzia, since you love cock so much

>That feel when no synthetic GF with replicated comedy farts

Attached: st-imudd19.jpg (740x557, 49K)