/hmm/

Watch it, General!

Attached: 1568074278448.jpg (1494x810, 185K)

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vdTx3vNU4zk
youtube.com/watch?v=dtWs2z4KAH0
youtube.com/watch?v=yRb63jt4uzw
youtube.com/watch?v=VlrhxgKIOrA
youtube.com/watch?v=qUryY7oN7kg
youtube.com/watch?v=sUUtK9FFIt4
youtu.be/scnFH-MldJM
archive.org/details/TheCube-JimHenson-1969
youtube.com/watch?v=xm-4vQmgHFQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

based

Attached: 111D7B2D-999D-4DE6-9720-7CD31E21E535.png (694x634, 49K)

First for meta-puppetry.

do not
>OooooOOOHHHHHH
in this thread!

WHY EMPEROR NOT APPRECIATE SCIENTIST

What the hell was their problem?

Attached: keksis.png (935x532, 964K)

Name a more based motherfucker

Attached: 1568064133808.jpg (825x1050, 598K)

>No

*MMMMMMMMMM*
The General is a faggot
The Emperor is a retard
Gelfings are fucking dumb

Attached: C0070DDB-7423-43A6-8368-CB9168079B0F.png (511x671, 200K)

Why was everyone so mean to Scientist?

drunk on power and station

Any screen or webm of the Scientist beating that poor slave to death with the lever?

HmmMMMMMMmm

who is best skesis? Chamberlain? Or unappreciated SkekTek?

>Skeksis are the British Empire

"....no!"

SkekTek best Skek

literally this

scientist is SSS tier with his abilities. He could have easily committed a coup with the army he creates

t. SkekKek

The question is "Who is second best Skeksis?". Chamberlain is automatically number one.

why was augghre so fucking dumb when you’re the avatar for the planet

RIAN SIT THE FUCK DOWN YOU ARE RUINING EVERYTHING

Dark Crystal threads are the only decent & comfy threads on Yea Forums right now.
Shame that this is probably all we're ever gonna get get since it still hasn't been picked up for a second season yet.

He's the biggest pushover out of the group and being a pushover is probably the equivalent of being an autistic incel in Skeksis society. Doesn't help that he grew attached to his lab animals, either.

Attached: 1567926965394.png (1256x1012, 632K)

he's a NERD

well, would a planet be very smart?

Man is the Chamberlain a lot more evil in this than he is in the film, where he's just sort of a worm. If anything you could argue he's the lead villain of the series even though the Emperor is in charge. Almost all the bad shit of the series happens because of Chamberlain.

Think of Skesis as High School

>Emperor, General, Ornamentalist = Popular kids
>Hunter = The jock all-star so popular even the popular kids suck up to him
>Gourmand = that fat kid who sucks up to the popular kids by being mean to others
>Chamberlain = The sneaky rat that hangs around with the popular kids as a sort of in-group joke and eventually btfos them all in a school shooting
>Ritual Master = The dumb kid everyone thinks is smart and maintains the lie by LARPing constantly
>Scroll Keeper = smart kid who has enough social skills to be low-key about it and not annoy others
>Collector = That gross thot that still has friends because she'll fuck anyone
>Heretic = That hyperactive kid who sits alone at lunch and has 1 really weird friend
>Scientist = NERRRDDDDD

Found this on Tumblr. I now kinda want to see a flashback of skekGra and urGoh trying to convince the Skeksis/Mystics to fuse back.

Attached: 000a.png (960x790, 1.22M)

IT WAS ABOUT STATE'S RIGHTS

Attached: Slave_Master.jpg (1200x1595, 576K)

Hey just borrowing this seat, hope no one minds.

Attached: MMD02-fancy-SUPER-high-back-super-king.jpg_350x350.jpg (350x350, 19K)

It's bizarre because he's the most important Skesis

1.) Literally the reason they're alive, from sucking the crystal of energy to the essence gathering
2.) Also the reason they beat the Gelfling as he made the Garthim

Wow, Chamberlain was literally me (minus the school shooting)

Attached: 18BD3944-E812-4A17-B1CF-50A24FBC2221.jpg (565x414, 58K)

Hard to be avatar when you're tricked off the planet.

I don;t really think Skesis are meant to be anything Jim Henson didn't get political and said he was inspired to make the Skesis after seeing a Lewis Carol drawing of crocodiles in suits taking a bath

Garthim Master: That all-star jock from outta town who arrives and BTFO the previous jock champ with ease.

Attached: Garthim_Master.jpg (480x480, 44K)

SkekTek numba waaan

Aughra is just nature with arms/legs. Nature ain't that smart

I hope we get to see why he requires a hook hand when he turns up next season

Consider that Aughra was the spiritual, magical authority on Thra before the UrSkeks arrived. Prior to that she was this motherly witch, then these alien wizards arrive and trade cosmic knowledge for a terrestrial crystal. It was enough to tempt even her. Such advancements were never meant to be brought to Thra.

every day we go without season 2 announcement makes me rage. Netflix renews such awful garbage constantly but not this

>still hasn't been picked up for a second season yet
Give it a couple more weeks. I feel like it's popular enough to be a niche offering they'll carry on with, but not like insta-renewed flagship property like Bojack or OITNB. Especially since the bulk of the production costs are already sunk having made all the puppets and setpieces, so a second season will be even cheaper than the first unless they get retarded with it.

*blocks your path*

Attached: Hunter2.jpg (1197x611, 96K)

he's also missing an eye.
either he's gonna/did fuck up hard and gets punished or he earned those missing limbs in combat or something else.

that's the thing, if they keep it people will raise their expectations of netflix, they're the bargain bin now

Netflix will probably renew it just based on acclaim alone, they don't just go by viewership alone

>Heretic = That hyperactive kid who sits alone at lunch and has 1 really weird friend

Heretic is the social outcast that everyone either ignores or treats like shit, so he ends up shooting the school a few years later.

The equivalent of that school shooting being the complete extinction of their entire race through the merging of their other halves, in this case.

Why do you wear the mask?

The Skeksis are literally a bunch of ancient boomers fucking over the planet holy shit

the tragedy is they don´t need the crystal energy or the essence initialy to live. only when their bodies are too corrupted for the crystal energy that they are dependant of essence and the crystal.
Instead of being healthy like the Hunter or the UrRs

Get based Transporter man to direct again for S2 or riot

Attached: Louis_Leterrier.jpg (2688x3600, 3.59M)

HmmMMMMmmmmm

Attached: chekSil the Numberlain.png (1369x631, 1.16M)

>they go out of their way to fuck up the eyesight of their most useful dude
>he fixes it himself

Why were the other Skeks so retarded?

Exactley, she was distracted by her Orrery and the mysteries of the heavens, leading her to get distracted and forget about things on Thra.

The odd thing is Chamberlain was right when he said that Skesis squabble but never seriously go after each other. Killing another Skesis was/is the ultimate taboo in Skesis culture. It's why SkekUng banishes the Chamberlain instead of killing him. It's why they banished the Heretic as well and didn't just kill him.

Skesis need each other and being Skesis means you get a base level of respect from all of them. They won't enslave or drink essence of other Skesis, for instance.

The exception of course is Chamberlain, who commits the ultimate sin in Skesis society by killing his own kind but has to keep it a secret. This is because SkekSil was a unique Skesis, formed from the UrSkeks Dark Heart who as his name implies was the worst of the 18 heretic Urskeks and the reason they split in the first place. Dark Heart is described as hating everyone and everything and SkekSil inherited all of that.

Isn't that the point? The Skeksis are the rash, inconsiderate halves of the original eighteen UrSkeks. They don't have enough foresight to consider what they're doing. They just give and take. The urRu(Mystics) on the other hand ponder endlessly and never make any decisions.

i wanna see this nigga and the Slave Master for season 2 bad

yeah I think the series makes it pretty clear the Chamberlain was the most evil of the Skeksis, more than even the Emperor

Gurjin

BASED Gurjin

they just need the same team as season 1 and I'll be happy. Don't change what ain't broken.

Thankfully the show seems to be picking up more steam online, and Season 2 should be less expensive to produce if they go on with it.

But still, if Age of Resistance gets cancelled but 13 Reasons Why gets another season, then all hope for Netflix is truly lost.

I know that Neflix tends to give their under-performing shows another chance in the form of a renewed second season, but I'm so so sure about this one. I doubt this show's budget and production time was on-par with most of the cheap live action dramas they tend to churn out, for one thing. So who knows.

specifically the other 17 Skesis are from the negative emotions of imperfect UrSkeks whereas SkekSil is from the negative emotions of the only evil UrSkeks

Can we, just for a moment, appreciate the decadent brutality of the scientist beating his assistants to death?

It was the only time I actually felt the skeksis were deliciously disgusting

Best pairing

Attached: 1568055480926.jpg (783x2660, 431K)

Does any piece of media explain what the fuck the UrSkeks are or where they're from or why they're on Thra?

I mean they just created the Garthim and his title is Garthim Master as well as General, whose spot just got vacated. He's definitely going to be a lead villain alongside the Emperor and Chamberlain. I imagine they had him be absent from the castle in Season 1 for that reason, so the Chamberlain could have his own similar rival that he got to triumph over, which we know he does not over skekUng.
They already had a lot of major villain Skeksis to cover in the first season with the Hunter and Emperor (who is effectively a new character given only his brief deathbed appearance in the film).

I've bought a netflix subscription and emailed them that the only reason I did so was for age of resistance so if they cancel it I'll be mad

was so needless. Why set up them escaping just to have them die horribly like that? Mark Hamill apparently said Louis Lertier came up with it as an idea of "a bully victim finding someone to vent his frustrations on"

this interpretation I'm seeing time and time again is kind of annoying, it's the same guy, literally the same guy

To be fair, while Dark Heart had inner turmoil (it's never actually clarified if it's actually SkekSil) the collective of them were universally douchebags, in a sense. They were banished for fringe pursuits and heresy back on their homeworld. They knew what they were doing when they tricked Aughra.

You answered the question right there.

>"MY BAD"

Attached: ok i go now bye bye.gif (326x184, 1.91M)

It's explained fully in the comics and originally novelization, movie sort of provides base hints

They're ayy lmaos who were banished from their own world to Thra for not being able to keep their emotions in check. They later attempted to purify themselves with Thra's Crystal which is what caused the Skesis and UrRu to form

The puppet show from the heretic in age of resistance also implies the castle was their space ship

Skeksis are evil but they're for the most part only ever cartoon-evil

It really caught me off guard seeing them do something so realistically violent.

Still can't believe how good this was. Absolutely peerless. Makes me wish they would call of shooting for the LOTR tv show right now

Attached: 1568064383585.png (2368x1536, 895K)

>when they ask for your insurance

So how'd this nigga live from those gobbler things? hes undead/unnatural like the other skeks?

>The puppet show from the heretic in age of resistance also implies the castle was their space ship

They built the castle by destroying a mountain with their celestial singing.

So executive producer Louise Gould has said this series is unique from any TV show in 30 years because they originally decided to build the world then inserted a story into it. The first thing they made for the reboot were the 7 clans and SkekMal/Heretic

Sheer force of will

They originate from the same person but they are still two individuals with their own thoughts and opinions. Out of all the skeksis and the mystics they are the only ones who decide to stay together.

Attached: wxvbxijbi5l31.jpg (614x768, 108K)

He's half of an alien and not natural to Thra, and I doubt aliens taste very good.

Also, survival experience.

it made me sad

Attached: Gruenak.png (1082x571, 212K)

i see the way the heretic talks about the UrSkeks coming to Thra then flipping the puppet upside down to see their castle made me think it was their ship.

>The urSkeks were tall, upright beings with a light of inner beauty which would turn dark when angered. They had powerful psychic abilities, being able to telekenetically construct edifices, heal injuries and even return the dead to life.

>UrSkek culture, which the Fallen urSkeks themselves claimed to be "ageless", was rigidly collectivist, with deviant behaviour deemed "heresy", and punishable by exile. The urSkeks percieved space and time as essentially triangular, and this was reflected in their art and architecture.

>Little is known of the urSkek homeworld, other than the fact that it was "far beyond the farthest star",that it was born of a crystal like Thra, and that it vaguely resembled the Castle of the Crystal's Hall of Reflection.

Even though the main Skeksis are the Chamberlain, Emperor, Hunter, General and Scientist I think they did a good job having the other background ones get stuff to do and get to know them too.
Like the Scrollkeeper had like two lines in the film if I recall but had a good supporting role and we got to know him a bit. In fact he even killed one of the major characters in the last episode.

In the film only the Chamberlain and Garthim-Master get any focus since there's only 90 minutes to work with.

Size mostly. Gobbles are deadly to Gelflings but to Skesis it's probably like being attacked by a swarm of bees. Deadly to smaller animals and (potentially) deadly to humans but still a good chance for one to get out of it.

me too

Actually one of the darkest scenes in the show, maybe because it wasn't fantasy violence like a character being destroyed by the Crystal or something, just a savage murder.

intergalactic Australians.
thra was literally their penal colony for these 18 ayy lmaos

Kind of creepy.

Besides Chamberlain and General I never was able to remember much if any traits of the Skesis as a kid. After season 1 I have a good idea of who they all are as characters now. The show added personality traits for under-utilized Skesis that worked like Ritual Master being sort of a dumbass who gets by pretending to be this wise priest

I loved the blood spatter that went on the creature in the cage

The main goal to get to is for the Scientist to use one of their corpses to combine with the Arathim body to create a Garthim, so they had to die, and obviously they thought there was more drama in them rebelling and him snapping and slaughtering both than him just killing them on a whim or something. Shows that while he's bullied and picked on he has just as vicious and savage a streak in him as any other Skeksis.

even though the Skeksis obviously steal the show, I still really enjoyed watching our main cast of heroes. They're fun and I love them. Brea is underrated

i don't think he came up with the idea to combine them with arathim until after they were already dead

I don't know, the scene with the skeksis lapping up Mira's liquified like a pack of rabid dogs from the first ep. was pretty fucked up in its own right.

I mean the gelflings were a big improvement from the movie, yeah.

Jim Henson set up this beautiful world but you can't deny Jen and his waifu were dry as fuck in the original, mostly because they only had 1.5 hours to work with as opposed to the 10 hours the show had

What I like about the urskeks is that they're so damn human looking. It really contrasts the creatures of Thra, including the fairly human gelflings

Attached: DC_DCP310%2B311.jpg (644x551, 240K)

He's strong of body and of will. Even his Mystic counterpart, who have all lost their drive, passion and will during the split, was energetic as far as Mystics go and did all that nifty archery.
You can assume the original urSkek they split from was an absolute force of nature.

since Rian stole Mira's essence jar for a while i thought he was gonna find a way to bring her back. But then Chamberlain just drank it all.

Best scene was the skeksis slaughtering their guards and having an orgiastic feast on their essence

>one of these dudes got banished from his entire planet because of how bad he wanted to hunt shit

skekTek was nice to that little doggo at least and SkekSo knew threatening to kill it was enough to get him to cooperate.

That's what I mean. They could have had him just go "Hmm, I need some material, ah, I'll kill my slaves!" but that's dull writing. Instead he gets the idea after killing the two for rebelling, in a fit of frustrated rage.
I meant the writing goal is to get him to use one for the Garthim.

Is that hair or crystalline growths

Damn this is good lore, how does a show about puppets do something way more interesting than modern nuwars and nutrek.

Brian Froud based them on a nightmare he had as a kid where similar looking creatures tried to break into his bedroom. Poor lad.

yes

Jim Henson put a lot of soul into the project and it was the 1980s when people were still creative

The more impressive part is they added tons of new lore for age of resistane and it was actually good.

the Gourmand triple pissing on the wall while recounting how he massacred loads of guards sure was something

Because the show was made by people who actually care about their work.

Henson and co. made all this lore first, then made a movie mostly to show off the fancy puppetry and world they built, hence why the story/characters are pretty thin in the movie

I hope they retcon the comics, the point of the UrSkeks in the original was their attempts to forcibly split their negative emotions with the crystal was that it was a shortcut to the problem that saw them banished in the first place. So it was destined to fail.

Comics set up it would have worked if it wasn't for 1 asshole urskeks which sort of defeats the point

Why does Chamberlain speak in broken english? The rest of the skeks speak properly but he sounds like some smelly foreigner fresh off the boat.

I wonder how skekTek will lose his leg and arm. Seeing him lose his eye was already brutal.

youtube.com/watch?v=vdTx3vNU4zk

normies analyze dark crystal. Good that a normie b8 like WatchMojo picked it up for advertising purposes.

I love them too user. I feel like the minority in loving them as much as I do, they're all so charming and I always feel sad whenever bad shit happens to them.

To trick people into thinking he's dumb while he's trying to take advantage of them.

>tfw the last few years have given us Twin Peaks, Terror/RBMK and The Dark Crystal

I'm very happy I can be experiencing this time with you all, bros. This only happens once in a rare while for me.

Attached: 1554863458419.webm (500x452, 580K)

Based triple cock chad

As if they weren't scary before. Well, at least the walk home through the woods is going to be fun tonight.

Why is Thra so small? In Jim Henson's original sketches for it it was literally a 700km long triangle floating through space

literally smaller than England (not UK, England)

Do you take dumb people seriously? That’s his whole act

the eternal debate is do they have 3 dicks or is it a joke that Skesis are so old their prostates are all sorts of fucked up

>feeling bad for slaves
HMMMMMMmmmmmmm

It's not really clear why he talks that way. The other Skesis are creeped out by it too (plus his wimper).

The voice actors for the Skeksis deserve a special shoutout, they all did fantastic work, and it was a tough job, having to act, do a ridiculous hammy voice, aim to sound similar to the movie voice actor, and also match up to the puppet footage.
Several of them were unrecognizable, sure you hear extra screechy Joker with the Scientist but I would never have guessed that was Simon Pegg. Or even Jason Isaacs actually, who has a villain voice already, didn't sound like how he normally sounds. My sympathies to the throats of Harvey Fierstein and Awkwafina for their roles, even though they have raspy voices normally, they sounded like they had to crank that shit up to ridiculous levels for their characters.

If nothing else, it prevents GoT scale problems. If you accept that most of the characters can get from one end of the world to the other in a couple weeks walking, you don't get annoyed when people pop up at implausibly convenient times.

I think the original idea was he spoke broken English to Jen and Kira in the film because it's a translation convention and he's actually speaking the Gelfling language but barely speaks it so it comes out as broken. But he speaks that way the whole time in the show.
I imagine the idea is it's all part of his act, to seem simple and friendly and approachable.

>he's never had a dried jizz patch on the tip of his dick send piss in all different directions

He learned disingenuity from Columbo.

Attached: 1_ZJL0iLvbm-f6dzAI28KIyw.jpg (1385x946, 128K)

Weak nerd who cries when you threaten his cutesy furry pet.

Attached: 1567892495400.jpg (640x514, 90K)

Ritual Master guy was only Skesis VA I didn't like. Was Key from Key and Peele turns out.

I thought there were nauseatingly too many female characters

I think he removed those himself to "upgrade" himself in the older supplemental material for the film.

the best version of this "new skesis lore" vs " skesis have 3 dicks"

Because his role is to save their lives and he keeps failing.

Really? He sounds exactly like the Ritual Master in the original, right down to the robotic, smug tone. I thought it was intentional. The only skeksis who actually sounds different is the Gourmand, and I like it for the better.

Deet was great, Brea was probably unnecessary though. rest were side characters.

Main Gelfling was male at least.

I know a guy who wrote a few Watch Mojo videos about gundam rankings and stuff. He was very honest that he just skimmed wiki articles and asked his friends for their opinions and cranked out the articles in an afternoon.

Attached: 1526272752595.gif (342x192, 1.98M)

I thought it suited his pompous act, especially if he's just sort of an idiot but covers it up by acting self-important and pious. Kind of the opposite of the Chamberlain, who acts simple and dumb to fool people, he acts smart to cover that he's stupid.
>My most beloved of the five ocular castigations!

Gourmand sounded like the gay lizard from Fern Gully in this whereas in the original he had a much deeper voice.

If you forced me to binge watch the whole series with a gun to my head and threatened to kill me if I couldn't pick out Simon Pegg by the end, I would be dead. Also that semi-famous Asian guy who plays the general.

Opposed to the male dominated skeksis and mystics?

And technically the Emperor but that's excusable.
MINE!

I knew this as a big 40k nerd when watchmojo did "top 10 worst places to live in 40k" and they said the dark eldar worshipped slaanesh. That's a huge lore error but a common misconception.

this guy I mean btw:

youtube.com/watch?v=dtWs2z4KAH0

keep in mind Gourmand had like 2 lines in the original movie "More food" and "my emperor!"

the darkening does terrors to your vocal cords

>just fighting some Skeksis
>shit is going alright
>suddenly this dude just rushes you out of nowhere
>had just recovered and ran all the way to the fight and instantly bodies the MC
He was great.

WHEN WE FAIL OUR EMPEROR

I've known guys that have played the game for years and think this.

Gelfling being matriarchal was an unused concept Jim Henson developed originally so I didn't mind it.

those aren't our protagonists whose story is making up the majority of screen time

Yeah, Harvey Fierstein. He did a great job. Gourmand felt like one of the more sadistic ones.

It's a really minor complaint, but I preferred movie Aughra and how she sounded convincingly old and demented. She's a little too coherent in the show.

Also, do the novels make the lore more consistent with the original movie?

youtube.com/watch?v=yRb63jt4uzw

Attached: aughra.jpg (1280x720, 142K)

I think that's where the wings come from, too. They're like ant queens or something.

>skeksis
>not the protagonists
OH NO NONONONONONO

Eh he was ok enough but I thought his "WHEN WE FAIL OURSELVES" dialogue during SkekTek's punishment was delivered very well.

oh shit it actually was the gay lizard from fern gully. I was just memeing when I said that.

I can see her becoming very, very bitter during the events of the film, desu. Don't know what's in store for her psyche. She might see some shit with the gelfling genocide.

her mental state is reflected by Thra. Thra's a lot more fucked up by the movie

she's technically younger in the series

That's where you're wrong, kiddo.

Attached: mmmnNNNnmmm.webm (752x582, 2.93M)

Reminder that Aughra is the literal avatar of Thra and embodies all races, genders and essence. It's why she has a mustache and the occasional beard - she was part male before the Great Conjunction burned out her masculine half and her right eye. Hot enough to burn concepts, holy shit.

they tried to keep her crochety but in the expanded material she was established as a sage/avatar of the planet so you have to balance that out in the show

Yeah, it would be fitting for her to have the Yoda arc considering Frank Oz just did his Yoda voice when he was puppeting her in the movie.

youtube.com/watch?v=VlrhxgKIOrA

In the movie, skeksis were originally supposed to speak their own creepy language and most of it was filmed with this in mind, Chamberlain speaking in a language the gelflings could understand was supposed to be a surprise which is revealed when he speaks with Jen and Kira. But now his broken speech is just part of the character with no real explanation.

youtube.com/watch?v=qUryY7oN7kg

A combination of
>Netflix giving The Jim Henson Company a decent amount of creative freedom & control over their show
>the show being run, written and directed by people who actually care about the franchise
>the show being a passion project from its creators, who then hired a talented, experienced production staff who actually care about the quality of their work
>the creators/writers planning out the overall lore, story, characters, creatures, history and general world-building years before the show was even greenlit

Now compare that to nu-Wars and nu-Trek, which suffered from the following:
>mega-corporations putting extreme creative restrictions and limitations on rich, expansive IPs in an effort to accumulate the most money possible through a dumbed-down, family friendly market
>said corporations hire spineless, talentless hacks or yes-men who don't give a shit because they're easier to control
>beloved franchises aren't given the care, talent or production time they deserve, and are churned out like annual products instead
>corporations don't build off of decades and decades of established lore and characters, instead they would rather outright retcon it or shamelessly recycle/rehash it to make way for their shitty new product

It's not hard to see why.

Yeah Aughra is weird. Surprised the WOKE era didn't bring it up. I guess that's a good thing.

Scenes like these also made it clear that you should take every Skeksis seriously, even the sillier ones like Gourmand or Scrollkeeper, as they're just as ruthless and dangerous as the General or Emperor when it comes down to it.
Just one scene earlier the Scientist is playing pretend Emperor like a total geek loser, then he's smashing a rebellious slave's skull in in a frenzied rage.
Don't fuck with Skeksis.

You've got a keen ear user.

I think he knows it pisses people off and at the same time think he's an idiot.

>literally Klingon Shakespeare

QUIT YOUR WHIMPER

Top 5 moments from series:

1.) Uhhh...no
2.) Chamberlain's speech
3.) DERATEA
4.) The Hunt Must End
5.) Heretic Puppet Show

Another honorable mention is the emperor and general talking about their nightmares. It was nice to see the fear that drives the Skesis in their quest for immortality as opposed to them just being evil for the sake of it.

Netflix got their pound of flesh with Deet's 2 dads which is so minor nobody even really notices it

Hup singing in the prison cell was kino

would have been star wars holiday special tier

keep in mind Chamberlain's UrRu counterpart is known as The Chanter and is the best singer on Thra

that has to play into his fucked up speech patterns somehow

hup singing was also great

Chamberlain and Rian in the carriage

*TINK* *TINK* *TINK*

Ahem...Well said Chamberlain!
I, Domiar Rygel XVI, Ruler of the Hynerian Empire and Royal Sovereign of over six hundred billion subjects, believe the Skeksis to be truly marvelous overseers of an otherwise uncivilized backwater planet.
I commend the Skeksis for their visionary leadership and guidance over a lowly and unworthy populace.

>FRELL GELFLINGS!
>FRELL PODLINGS!
>FRELL AUGHRA!
>FRELL THE MYSTICS!
>FRELL FIZZGIG!
>FRELL CRICHTON!
but most importantly..
>FRELL BLUE-ASSED BITCHES!

Attached: 20190907_182613.jpg (300x450, 126K)

WE MUST BE
PUNISHED

I'm glad this was changed. Especially with what happened with Mars Needs Moms.

>CLANG

Jim Henson had a lot of weird vocal concept for the film. He also wanted minimal dialog originally which is why the Skesis don't talk all that much

based

Attached: 1568072603371.webm (1280x576, 2.93M)

The scene with the podling in the orrery was pretty kino too.

The Chamberlain could get away with more back then.
The other Skeksis are done pitting up with his bullshit by the start of the film.

>emperor and general talking about their nightmares

That was the point that I realized that this was genuinely one of the best shows I've ever seen. Before that I was satisfied with it being a competent follow up to a fun 80's fantasy movie.

S2 greenlight when? They already have the props and sets and scripts.

Attached: 1567305128227.jpg (1522x856, 139K)

Henson was absolute madman. It's a cool concept, and certainly makes the skeksis even more intimidating, but I can completely understand why they chose to dub it. It's too fucking bizarre, and I imagine scary and confusing for kids.

>continues to whimper and pretty much smile

I'm glad they changed it because it would have been annoying to deal with that all season. Podling gibberish was annoying enough

this guy is the puppeteer behind the 'Puppet show' of the Heretic, he made a good job

youtube.com/watch?v=sUUtK9FFIt4

Lertier has said had the Hunter not been stopped he would have ripped Rian's head off. That's what he was doing before he blew up

>based bug puppet poster
Was it you? Did you do it? :^)

youtu.be/scnFH-MldJM

>ywn give him some antibiotics

Attached: 143bf64c59d6cfbbee3a07694b51fcb6.jpg (475x550, 34K)

Sadly no, but with the show getting more attention recently, I hope that means Season 2 has a better chance of happening.

important aspect is the director didn't seek to change fan expectations or what was the series was about.

What killed star wars was the attempts to "subvert fan expectations"

saw him in the documentary what a lad

dark crystal was saved by being a cult following in the first place. If it was too popular it would have been transformed like star wars has.

this is why we should all be very afraid of amazon LOTR because it's very much star wars tier in popularity

I love how both sides stop fighting for a second and freak out at Hunter's "GET THAT SHIT OUTTA HERE" moment.

Her suit and puppetry in the series was extraordinary. At no point did I ever think I was looking at a puppet (and improved as they are, the Gelfling still had those moments, mostly from their limited mouth movements). Like at the end of the episode where the Arathim take control of Stone in the Wood, she has a staredown with the General as the scene ends, and it was incredible how real it felt as it cut from one to the other. Their eyes and expressions don't look like puppets at all.

its funny because Fierstein has done standup and he pretty much acts like the Gourmand in it

Based Hunter trying to remove the blandest character.

no, im only mesmerized by the hard work and soul the guy put into his art.

>skeksis want to prolong their lives because unlike the creatures of Thra, there is nothing for them after death

They're disgusting monstrosities, but holy shit did that resonate with me a bit.

That was one thing the documentary mentioned that I would never have guessed otherwise, how apparently there are some really, really minor CGI tweaks to the puppet's expressions to give it that tiny extra bit of expression. I also didn't realize that Lore was a full sized marionette, I assumed he was a digital composite of a smaller puppet.

Based

this shit sounds like ancient sumerian. Same source Tolkien used for orcish

>you try to control aughra? aughra can barely control aughra?
>chucks spider away
>BAH

I liked the scene of Deet giving Hup a peptalk and handing him back his spoon after he confesses he is afraid and feels weak. Felt very earnest.

>when the emperor said he only ever has nightmares

Attached: NLDHDT5.jpg (720x762, 65K)

God I love him. Why is he so likable despite being evil? Because he's the underdog?

Attached: Cunninghero.jpg (355x798, 48K)

friend of Skeksis!

Attached: Chamberlain.jpg (620x413, 57K)

gibberish? how dare you insult the polish language!

they actually don't know what there is after death whereas all creatures of thra becoming one with the planet is accepted/proven fact

The uncertainly is what drove the emperor so nuts.

And they're also much older and more decrepit by the film, with all Gelfling gone and essence so spare only the Emperor was allowed to drink it anymore. He's past his prime for sure.

The Mystics do give the impression that if the Skeksis wanted, they could adopt Thra as their new true home and enter into it's cycle of life and death, but refuse to.

Attached: 1566510775174.png (500x469, 255K)

;(

i expected Hup to die horribly trying to protect Deet, was surprised he lived through the season

If there's a season 2 I bet that's gonna happen to him still

keksis

archive.org/details/TheCube-JimHenson-1969

GOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!

Attached: Hunter.jpg (1200x600, 85K)

we know how these stories end, deet will be the instrument of his destruction

Stop me from watching this series a third time, I have other shit I need to watch.

Attached: 1543740894691.png (480x480, 423K)

Attached: 1567628165551.jpg (360x360, 45K)

Hunter absolutely bombing it through the middle of the battlefield because he's just that mad

mystics are apathetic and lazy. They don't speculate on what comes after death, they just slowly repeat their same old rituals and wait to die.

Which is fair. Once you stop seeing the guy with his hand up the puppet's butt it almost could be top tier CGI. I just found it funny that this always gets posted even if it's pretty sweet.

youtube.com/watch?v=xm-4vQmgHFQ

Have you seen Carnival Row yet? Try that.

So apparently according to Lertier the reason the Heretic is so hyperactive is because since they're not native to Thra they can only get prophecies through doing drugs. Heretic became addicted to uppers and UrGoh to downers, which is why he's much slower than most mystics

Henson Company forbid them showing that explicitly tho

They don't know what's after death. It might be nothing, but it might be an afterlife where they must atone for their sins, which is what the Emperor fears, he's afraid he'll be punished and made to feel all the guilt and shame he was spared by being split from his Mystic.

Rygel ia a fucking legend

Attached: Black_Knight_Rygel.jpg (406x336, 19K)

this ad wouldn't fly today with all the gun hysteria

then tends to the spider anyway

I do love how silly those are

>extended scene of the puppets on the show putting on a puppet show

when I was a kid i was really into the muppets and didn't want to go to the doctor to get my throat swiped for strep. My mom told me that jim henson didn't go to the doctor over strep throat either and died. Terrified me.

Anyway I do think he'd have been very happy with age of resistance at least, as well as 2011 Muppets.

I believe this is more because they're split apart, rather than not being native to Thra. They seem to be quite versed in the power of the crystal, and they were banished from their homeworld for tampering with their own - for some reason I speculate their entire world is a crystalline foundation. They probably thought Thra was poor and lacking.

>tfw unironically creative, consistent and logical motivations for your villain

Attached: 1543438955507.jpg (1135x918, 121K)

I didn't notice til it was pointed out that the Heretic has a metal spike rammed into his head. Might explain why he's a tad insane.

that's how you know you're watching pure kino

They based the two of them on that druggy movie. It may not be literally that.

I think he's more afraid of an afterlife of pain/torment because his earliest memory is pain/torment because back then he just existed as the negative emotions of an UrSkeks

Attached: 1560645760809.gif (224x233, 897K)

I wonder if that led to him to be susceptible to the vision he had regarding rejoining with his Mystic, or if it was a punishment from the other Skeksis?

truly the most meta of kino

>Gelflings submit to Skeksis rule
>herded onto reservations and allowed to open casinos
>their culture slowly collapses, eating amphetamine berries all day and being drank by Skeksis
Season 2 when?

Attached: hotel-lobby.jpg (1000x667, 192K)

wasn't even that hard. The entire exchange between SkekSo and SkekVar was 2 minutes

I'm looking at you GoT for never giving the Nights King any motivation

whatever you do don't look down

Scientist was the only skeksi who actually worked for a living, which made him intrinsically lower class than all his peers.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Skeksis did that to him after he told them about how they had to rejoin with the Mystics.

wat this

you imply the indians had a culture in any way as sophisticated as the gelfling

The official backstory of the character says he was off waging war against an unnamed extinct race far from the castle when he ate a shroom and got a vision from Thra telling him to find his other half and promote unity. He abandoned his army of gelflings and walked literally a few dozen feet and found UrGoh who had the same vision

As said, in the original script their personalities were because they got addicted to uppers/downers but this got cut

The evil characters having depths is refreshing. Even when they're evil layers, like the Emperor or Scientist or Chamberlain, they're layers regardless and make them more understandable and palpable as "people", if dreadful people. Like I can point to why the Emperor makes certain very poorly thought out decisions and it's not because of bad writing but flaws in his own personality and other factors pushing him.
I don't ask that your villains be "secretly good" or even sympathetic, only that they be understandable and based in something real. There's always a time when a villain is not "being evil" but just like, eating breakfast or thinking about non-evil deeds related things, and if I can't imagine your villain doing that, you have failed at making a real character. I can imagine all the Skeksis doing that. Except the Hunter who I kind of think is always "on" but that's why he doesn't live with the other Skeksis anyway.

puppet kino

Regardless, we need flashback scenes to him wrecking shit as the Conqueror and then getting hit with the realization of what he had done.

Im well aware female indians don't have wings or elaborate throne rooms garlanded with luminescent cocoons.

pretty sure the gelflings are just gonna be rounded up by Garthim and thrown into cages by the skesis to be eaten whenever they want

or cities, or heat forged metals, or nations, or the wheel, or...

part of me wishes they gave the skesis more imposing abilities besides just being bigger than gelflings. I always thought they all had formidable magical powers in the original and were sort of a cabal of warlocks

Yes, two minutes and huge amounts of depth and motivation is imbued in your classic "dark evil overlord" and "meathead general" characters, it's all it takes. Much of the Emperor's "evil overlord" behaviour in the series is explained by just knowing what he's motivated by the fear of. It could just be you know, standard evil overlord behaviour but they didn't settle for standard.
Same with the scene of the Chamberlain talking Rian into giving himself up, with his spiel about Skeksis needing to be immortal, Gelfling needing to be undernearth, etc. It's impossible to tell which is pure lie, which is pure truth, which parts SkekSil actually believes and which he is just making up, but any of it explains much of his mindset and it also makes him an effectively written manipulator. Contrast to say Littlefinger who you can't take seriously as manipulating anyone because he's poorly written and made into a cartoon character.

UrSkeks and later Skesis gave nearly all of that to Gelflings, though. Gelflings lived in trees and didn't wear clothes before the UrSkeks arrived.

Not even meming btw this is canon.

So which Skeksis have yet to show up in the show or film at all and will they? Or is there room to make up more?

I really want to read this threads because I they are so comfy but I am on episode 2 and I don’t want to get spoiled fuuuuuuck

This is a very pedantic line of nitpicking for a dumb joke about 7 Clans Casino.

Yeah. Even as vile and sadistic as the skeksis are, they still aren't one-dimensional or doing what they do just to be evil.

You even feel bad for the scientist when he's being framed and bullied. Until ep 10.

SkekSa, SkekNa, SkekUng, SkekLi and SkekShod all have yet to show up.

Watch more, then return. We're not going anywhere.

it was a funny joke, why can't I think it's a funny joke and poke holes in the connection between indians and gelfling?

There are remaining living Skesis not seen in the show

SkekUng the General/Garthim Master
SkekSa the Mariner
SkekLi the Satirist (apparently so annoying other Skesis can't tolerate him)
SkekNa the Slave Master
SkekShod the Treasurer

The only one not mentioned at all this season was the Treasurer

There can't be any new Skesis because we have all 18 confirmed now with the additions of Hunter/Heretic/SkekVar

then watch faster

Three Skeksis were in the film but not in the show yet (Slavemaster, Treasurer and Garthim-Master/General), two of them were mentioned by name so expect them all to return.
There were 18 in total at the start, I believe 2 died long before the show, and there's two who haven't been on-screen yet, in the film or show, the Mariner and the Satirist. Expect them to show up too.

>SkekLi the Satirist (apparently so annoying other Skesis can't tolerate him)
sounds based as fuck

SkekLi get no respect let me tell you, when SkekLi go down to harrar THEY ask for a tithe

It's fucked to think that only eighteen ayys managed to change the world so much. Makes you wonder if they were just the average member of their race, or phenomenal individuals like Aughra.

Attached: 1537834199767.png (508x510, 217K)

I suppose podlings are the more apt comparison, being ignorant potato people who need gelflings to come in and periodically set their shit straight.

Garthim Master will surely be the lead villain for a season 2 along with the Emperor given they're presumably adapting the Garthim war

It's interesting too when you consider how the Chamberlain tells lies and tries to convince people they are true, which goes completely against the Crystal of Truth, the embodiment of the entire world.

After you're done I suggest looking up previous threads on archive.4plebs.org to see what you missed

The Scientist is probably going to try to command the Garthim and fuck up somehow.

being scientist is suffering

Attached: 20190909_222625.jpg (4032x1960, 1.67M)

>he didn't binge the entire season in the first two nights

Attached: 1475443263326.png (558x512, 278K)

>one of the only members of the cast and crew to directly work with Jim Henson before
>not included in the making-of documentary

Attached: 1515776400781.jpg (604x526, 32K)

I watched them all week, about two episodes a day, some of us like to enjoy things and not just have them wash over us

Jim Henson genuinely wanted to make a good story out of this movie and kept going with all his notes about the world of the Dark Crystal. It was probably deeply important to him as this was one of the few works he did that was designed to teach children an important lesson he thought was being neglected, which was that the world was full of scary things and you need to be ready to face them.

No one cared who I was until I put on the mask.

Attached: 1568065432383.jpg (750x418, 68K)

>he didn't see the original as a youngster and join its cult following for two decades

If I pull that mask off, will you die?

I can't wait to see their designs for Mariner/Satirist, they did a great job with the original Skeksis designs for the show with Hunter, Collector, General and Heretic (and I suppose Emperor)

It would be extremely painful.

Attached: dark-crystal.jpg (800x445, 77K)

there was no shortage of content in those days, I saw never ending story instead, I'd actually never heard of this film until a decade ago

You're a big Skeksis.

Four you

Attached: dark_crystal_hunter_9_by_giuseppedirosso_ddfhpk7-pre.jpg (1332x600, 72K)

He's done a shitton of PR for this show and always talks about it glowingly, more than most of its actors. He probably just had a scheduling conflict.

UUUU

I wonder if the mariner will look at all like some of their existing artwork.

Attached: SkekSa.jpg (400x288, 47K)

*casually tosses your bud off a cliff*

>Not you're a Big Bird

Here's the full list:

1.) SkekSo the Emperor and UrSu the Sage
2.) SkekAyuk the Gourmand and UrAmaj the Cook
3.) SkekSa the Mariner and UrSan the Swimmer
4.) SkekLi the Satirist and UrLi the Storyteller
5.) SkekEkt the Ornamentalist and UrUtt the Weaver
6.) SkekGra the Conqueror (later Heretic) and UrGoh the Keeper (later Wanderer)
7.) SkekHak and UrHom. Both of them died right after the great conjunction when the Skesis attacked the UrRu. However in some of Henson's scripts there were concepts for SkekHak the Architect and UrHom the Carpenter
8.) SkekYi and UrYa. See #7
9.) SkekLach the Collector and UrSen the Preserver
10.) SkekMal the Hunter and UrVa the Archer
11.) SkekNa the Slave Master and UrNol the Herbalist
12.) SkekOk the Scroll Keeper and UrAc the Scribe
13.) SkekShod the Treasurer and UrYod the Numerologist
14.) SkekSil the Chamberlain and UrSol the Chanter
15.) SkekTek the Scientist and UrTih the Alchemist
16.) SkekUng the Garthim Master (later General) and UrIm the Healer
17.) SkekVar the Ambassador (later General) and UrMa the Peacemaker
18.) SkekZok the Priest (later Ritual Master) and UrZah the Ritual Guardian

There is also a non-canon Skesis from the old manga series, SkekEr the Spymaster. As he was not developed by the Jim Henson Company he isn't counted anymore.

The Collector didn't look anything like the existing comic design so probably not.

I like this. I hope she squaks like a parrot.

Needs more ridiculously ornate epaulets and coat.

Thra is really tiny and backwards. Only 700km long in Henson's original sketches. Barely populated and was zero technology before the UrSkeks showed up.

>Less than two hours and this thread has already reached its main post limit

Perhaps there is hope for Season 2 after all. Keep up the good work, lads.

Attached: 01034.jpg (640x360, 22K)

Attached: 1567870247533.jpg (2165x3902, 2.93M)

Isn't it also triangular?

Louise Gould was in it and she worked with Henson on the original too. Was the only puppeteer who returned to play their same character (Gourmand)

Was HakHom the most autistic UrSkek or what

yer and flat. But in both the comics and opening intro for the series you see it as a sphere so who knows.

Glad to see this series on fire on Yea Forums

So I just realized multiple Skesis are missing arms/legs but the UrRu counterparts aren't.

>the Skeksis revolution and it's consequences

Attached: ted.png (807x499, 1.01M)

Are you sure? The scientist's counterpart has a wooden arm and leg in the film for instance.

hmmhmhmhmmmm

weta is making a hunter statue this year. my wallet can't take it.

I want a Hunter costume for Halloween

What the hell have I just started watching? First episode is confusing. You get used to the puppets surprisingly fast though.

what was confusing about it?

To me that just makes them better by how simplistic the threat of the Skeksis are. They don't possess epic spells;they just knew how to take control and push smaller creatures around until they get what they want. That in itself makes them look like immortal giants compared to the Gelfling

Except for the Hunter's, who has all four arms working fine

Well this season the Emperor just started fiddling with utilizing the darkening through his crystal shard staff. It seemed pretty powerful until Deet absorbed it.

Mb next there will be more usage of darkening and staff power magic.