Make one of the greatest movies of ALL TIME

>make one of the greatest movies of ALL TIME
>proceed to make vapid trash for the following decade
What went so wrong?

Attached: 0991C846-FFB8-45A4-A6E3-B6B6D4FD48D6.jpg (2880x2884, 1.53M)

Jews

He didn't produce or write Drive, so his style went towards telling an actual story instead of self-indulgence.

Drive is a shittier version of Le samourai,He is hack.

>The Neon Demon
>not his best film

>renf
>coming close to making a "greatest movie of all time"
holy cringe

no its a shittier version of driver which is a shittier version of Le Samurai.

he's always been a pseud trap

Hated Drive and thought Too Old To Die Young was pretty good. Haven't seen anything else of his.

Neon demon is great

Too Old to Die Young isn’t worth watching after Episode 5

I'm gay btw if that matters

This is a female to male transvestite. Look at his shoulders to hip ratio. "his" hips are wider than shoulders. Also the small head size proportion. This would also explain why he made one good movie and the rest are shit. Women arent good filmmakers.

>What went so wrong?
Got involved with Jodorowsky and his tarot crap

>everyone in hollywood is transsexual
most based conspiracy out there

Attached: 1547193466037.jpg (580x871, 45K)

The Neon Demon is good, only problem is that it was billed as a horror film when it should have been marketed as a psychological thriller, just like Perfect Blue and Black Swan, which share thematic similarities

>talks about how it's gonna be an allegory to Drumpfs America ,proceeds to make a 12 hour vanity project that stylizises cartel thugs as royalty and condludes with a bitch masturbating to VR JOI for 10minutes

>Even amazon pouring millions into it tought it was worth pulling this shit into trash not even 6months after release

What the fuck is this guys problem?
Lack of Chin and therefore the indentification with being a high IQ nerd resulting typical pseud affliction?

I disagree, last episode was kinda poo though.

i can take something out of all his movies, even if its just the looks.

but there is no excuse for what he did on too old to die young.

>The Neon Demon is good
No.

WHO HERE PUSHER II?

I SERIOUSLY don't get the appeal of Drive. I've seen it two or three times and remain unimpressed. Can somebody explain to me why it's "one of the greatest movies of ALL TIME"?

explain why it's bad

OP is talking about Bronson

Too Old to Die Young is trash.

ur trash

it insists upon itself

>everyone assumes OP is talking about Drive (which came out under a decade ago)
>nobody realizes he's talking about Bronson

Attached: MV5BZWEyNDU4MzYtOGRhOS00YWYxLWIwZDgtNWE5Y2FjZThiN2IwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjUwNzk3NDc@._V1_.jpg (1280x688, 110K)

This is the most reddit response ever conceived

If you haven't watched the Neon Demon on acid I feel bad for you. Some scenes are genuinely hypnotizing.

Beautifully shot, amazing soundtrack, dark story told in the style of a fairy tale, iconic main character with noble intentions. If it doesn’t make you tear up then it’s just not for you.

Sort of similar with Johnson. Made Looper which is one of the best movies of the decade then turned into a bumbling retard.

Attached: w204f0sdf23rff.jpg (590x599, 65K)

Well this board did sucked off Drive pretty hard.

>Made Looper which is one of the best movies of the decade

Started the retro 80s throwback aesthetic that's been in a ton of shit since.

>Looper
>one of the best movies of the decade

Oh my...

So no real criticisms?

>and then turned into a bumbling retard
>and then

>Looper
>one of the best films of the decade

Attached: 1530688485696.jpg (546x545, 29K)

>dude it's drive lmao
>nah bro it's bronson lmao
>akchually it's the neon demon lmao
PLEBS FUCK OFF

Attached: image.jpg (640x386, 56K)

>make one of the greatest movies of ALL TIME
I hope you're talking about OGF.

Attached: onlygodforgivesposter-jpg_184606.jpg (620x783, 72K)

wow never seen any of that shit before
I FUCKING LOVE THE 80S, IT'S TOTALLY STRANGER THINGS AND SZECHUAN SAUCE TIER EPIC etc etc

The fact that no one can agree on which of his movies is his best is a testament in itself to his ability to make great movies.

hello newfag

You have to be 18 to post here.

He is a genuine pleb filter, absolute unadulterated kino

Ye but he did it 10 years ago, the last person to capture the 80s vibe that well was Spielberg in the actual 80s. The soundtrack literally invented a music genre too

what does this even mean?
>dude you can't make a good film if people don't universally agree one is the best
tell that to many of the talented and still prolific directors over the last century

He's Mcdonald's Sharthouse for pleb teenagers

Sure, but that doesn't make it good. Am I really supposed to be impressed that it had a synthpop soundtrack? That makes it one of the greatest movies of all time?

Its true. I've never seen a genuine response to "le insist" memes because everyone knows it's a cop out. Like those anons who call films pretentious but don't know what the word means.

Not an argument.

I was saying they're all great. The guy's an auteur.

Ok, here's another one. As far as crime movies go Drive is probably the most influential one since Pulp Fiction.

read ability as inability, my apologies :^]

I’m not particularly a big fan of his, by the elevator scene in Drive is genuinely one of the greatest scenes of all time.

Attached: 0F03AF42-C15B-4A8D-89EE-EDC94A3D89FF.jpg (1280x720, 50K)

The Neon Demon is a poor man's Mullholland Drive.

It has the exact same plot and themes.

>Am I really supposed to be impressed that it had a synthpop soundtrack
What makes you think I said that? Also I'm not OP it's not one of the greatest movies of all time

Refn was always sort of pretentious. Very early in his career he got pushback from his cast during bleeder for how off the rails he got. Then Fear X happened and he torpedoed his potential. Then out of desperation he made fantastic sequels to pusher by falling back on the skills that made him an effective film maker.

Then he got the US and got really lucky because gosling liked his work and shoe horned him as a director on Drive. They butchered the script that was written and turned it into something much better but it was highly collaborative. Turned into something great balancing his sensibilities with solid direction/writing.

Then he gets a blank check and fucks off to thailand or taiwan and makes a crazy pretentious sack of shit that is considered. "Polarizing" because he is no longer a director he is a brand. Drive was too big and too popular. You start to get capeshit movie arguments from people saying "WELL UHHH YOU DONT HAVE TO LIKE IT" meanwhile he can barely even tell you what the movie was about.

Then he makes a shitposty stylized bland story about a underage girl trying to make it in LA like we haven't heard that one before.

Then Amazon writes him a blank check but doesn't send someone from the office down there to see what the fuck he is doing or look at dailies.

Honestly, no one cares. If you are a brand then you are desired just for existing and can literally print money.

Mulholland Drive is a poor mans 3 women. 3 women is a poor mans Persona. See we can play the inspiration game all day if you want user but it won't discredit the actual films unique quality despite your best efforts.

Best TV moment of the last decade
OH MANDY

Attached: Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 01.37.03.png (1428x766, 326K)

100% on point. His films are still worth watching, but everything he made after drive is empty and void, without a proper story or heart.

DUH DUH DUUUUH

IM GONNA TAKE A NIGHT DRIVE.TO TELL YOU

How I SNEEED

Too Old to Die Young was probably the funniest serie that aired the past few years

Drive is a very good movie, but all yall faggots will one day realize that his magnum opus is The Neon Demon. Best blood bath scene since Blade.

Attached: neon-demon-25-sc-blood-bath-wtf-watch-the-film-saint-pauly.jpg (1919x788, 572K)

100%... been saying this since I first saw it.

But Neon Demon is his magnum opus. What sets him apart from others as an auteur is what he does stylisticallly with audiovisuals.
>the club strobe light scene
>the white/black screen gold paint scene
>the mirror fade out scene in the apartment room
>the runway scene
>the wallpaper fadeout rape dream scene
>the hypnotic interview with the model agency
Never seen shit like that before.

The Pusher trilogy is fantastic.

He’s a good director, but a terrible writer. You really can’t defend his writing. He just writes stuff he thinks is cool even if it’s going absolutely nowhere

Which one was his good movie?

But he didn't make Gangs of New York

his expression just after this part is priceless

Attached: self-cockblock-face.png (949x795, 1.25M)

>Looper
You could have at least said Brick or one of the Breaking Bad episodes he did.

Drop the fucking buzzwords jesus.

Eventually someone is going to make a better looking movie and we will all forget about Neon Demon. Mainly because the story is unmemorable as shit.

He doesn't bother giving a shit about constructing a good story, which is honestly the hardest part of film making.

I don't give a shit what rich people clap about.

who this nigga think he is?
Moonlight

For me it’s the rising and falling of the scorpion as he breathes in and out

fuck no.

>reddit spacing

The Brothers Bloom is his one good film.

>people will stop talking about Refn after someone expands upon the Foundation that Refn has created
That's not how film discussion works user.

>It's an "americans who have only watched 3 of his films discuss what his best film is" episode

I'd concede his writing is not his strong suit. Though I did enjoy the foreboding in the Neon Demon... "are you food or sex"? I watch his movies because they're stylistically unique.

>the exact same plot
Obviously not. And movies are allowed to share themes

>it's a foreigner can't stop talking about Americans episode
Wasn't this one on last night?

Never before have the worst traits of a hack and the most appealing traits of a genius so wonderfully and annoyingly co-existed within a man. After TND alienated me, TOTDY made me fall in love with him all over again, I saw genuine artistic growth, inspiration and maturity in it, and an absolutely masterful control over his own style, yet it's also so infuriatingly stupid, half-baked and poorly made at times. But I wholly adore it. He's undeniably shallow and self-indulgent, and it's often hard for me to tell if he's the real deal or a complete fraud, constantly oscillating between the two without middle ground. He's so full of himself, so self-aware while also obviously being so vulnerable. Drive was both the best and worst thing that ever happened to him. I think he's trapped in the cycle where successes go to his head and turn him lazy and arrogant, and when the subsequent failures hit him he's so desperate for love and attention again he has no choice but to reach deep within to deliver something special. He's both an edgy teenager and a lot wiser and smarter than he lets on... so many paradoxes and contradictions within him.

Attached: 1560850335199.jpg (1914x1037, 179K)

Even Lynch has a more coherent narrative in most of his films than refn does. He was also far more effective as a surrealist film maker than refn would ever be. Seriously watch Fear X. It's a 20 somethings attempt at being Lynch. He was put into insane debt for that and had to cut a deal on making pusher sequels to get out of it.

I'll check that out. Though I don't think Refn and Lynch are as comparable as you claim. There's some overlap, but they're very different animals at the end of the day.

>get 10xp to create your rpg character
>put all ten points into director but zero into writing
>unlock the autism perk

Attached: 1564430835824.jpg (1000x562, 74K)

Lynch actually has creative talent.

Nah Refn does some crazy shit with the camera.

His lighting and sound design is top notch, possibly no one greater; his cinematography is fantastic; the writing cripples what is possible. It is no accident that his logo is a hashtag.

Based

Attached: D1452664-1996-4F1D-B90F-52BD35BFE399.gif (500x346, 976K)

Is it possible to nail a bullet like this or would he break his hand?

Attached: ryan-gosling-in-drive-2011-movie-image1.jpg (940x1416, 585K)

He didn’t write Drive, and he had a studio grounding him which meant that he couldn’t take it too far and make 5 minute scenes where no one talks.

>sound design is top notch, possibly no one greater
I mean, if we're talking sound, it's clearly David Lynch

I mean, he can just move the hand holding the bullet and just crack him in the skull with a hammer

First pusher is meh. Second one was the real masterpiece

it looks like he only works out his neck

I refuse to believe that the same guy who made Drive - Too Old to die young is the same guy who directed Pusher trilogy, Bronson and Valhalla rising.

no he doesn't

Some directors only have the one. Richard Kelly’s Donnie Darko

is it worth seeing the directors cut? i've seen theatrical release a few times, one of my favorite movies

The issue is that he shows flashes of brilliance in his other ones but always shoots himself in the foot

huh?

Attached: 1370897422884.jpg (640x2720, 209K)