What was the message of this movie...

what was the message of this movie? it talked about the drug culture of america in the 60s and 70s but at the end it just seemed like it was about two buddies who went to vegas and got high

Attached: 4875687457274.png (1120x430, 718K)

death of the american dream?

Attached: 817e1jv946h31.png (960x960, 1.97M)

Two men disenfranchised with America go on a bender to ponder life. That's all I take away from it.

It's about accurately portraying the various points of a drug trip. It's got the highs and the lows and all the quirks and characteristics of each phase.

The rest of the shit about politics or commentary is just useless amerigoy drivel since americans can't vent without framing everything about their nation. I chalk that up to Hunter S Thompson's mental matrix, so I won't be too harsh on it. It's good that at least it wasn't directed by an American otherwise they would've taken what he said seriously and turned it into a political commentary movie (see where the Wild Buffalo Roam)

Is it so out of the question that people in a continent-sized nation would concern themselves witg their own politics? Lile sorry Hunter didnt write about Fear and Loathing in Luxembourg, I just don't know where the spite comes in that America has its own politics

>It's about accurately portraying the various points of a drug trip
Guess how I know you’ve never done drugs

Guess how i know youve never done drugs?

I'm right, fyi

It is basically a commentary on the fallacy of the drug culture. Very good movie. I love terry gilliam as a director and i admire hunter s thompson as a writer and a person.

It starts off kino but takes a serious nosedive after the Bazooko circus scene.

He kind of sums it up in the last lines of the movie: that the hippie culture failed to make real changes because they let everything ride on some belief in a combined force of love and good that would supposedly triumph over the establishment. He views himself as a rogue veteran of that movement, and his drug benders are him trying to make sense of the state of the US as it was and the failure of the hippies.

Terry Gilliam is American though

You are now leaving fear & loathing.

Using drugs to cope with the failure of the hippie movement and that, SURPRISE, hedonism is a civilization dead end!!!FACT!!!

So are anchor babies then.

>Expecting a deep message from pineapple express lookin ass low iq DUDE WEED lmao movie

Attached: son of a.jpg (750x742, 98K)

Yes

>Hunter himself disliked the acid trip scenes in the film because they were an inaccurate portrayal of the drug’s effects
>”its such an accurate portrayal of drugs guys, im totally right about this!”

Iran pretty accurate, the monsters they see is just the built in anxiety one would feel while among tons of strangers with a drug like lsd or mescaline. Those drugs renable a mechanism in your brain. It’s really interesting. The mechanism I’m talking about has a name but I’m not sure what it’s called. Your brain learns to ignore useless details or things you have seen countless times. For example you may know that a trees bark is rough and rigid, but that’s not what you really think when you glance passed a tree. When your on a drug like lsd, your brain is forced into recognizing details you would typically ignore because it’s useless info. That’s why everything becomes vivid or intense. Which is also why when your among strangers it can be a little freaky cause you can and will notice the little things people do, eye movements gestures facial expressions etc. it can be overwhelming because you may feel as if those actions are directed at you. That’s why the scene in the bar with the lizard people makes sense. He is seeing monsters everywhere because he’s uncomfortable with his situation, he doesn’t actually believe lizard people are walking around

Only brainlets think the portrayal is only based on the visual part. Real drugseurs realize the movie's narrative rhythm and character emotions themselves are the real portrayals. The visuals are just the most "well known" effects so brainlets who never did drugs knew they were "high".

Looks like ol Hunter was a brainlet himself. Sad!

hunter s thompson's work aimed to show how fucked up america is. the point of the book/movie is to show that the main characters, as well as everyone they come into contact with, is fucked up. it's pretty much "we live in a society" except with drugs as the vehicle instead of a character like the joker

His monologue about the high and mighty wave reaching its peak then crashing and rolling back is more or less the theme. Things were great, they reached a peak, then they got worse and have continued to plummet.

Attached: 1567880719833.jpg (720x561, 50K)

Just like a drug trip! Mind=blown!!!!

Remember if you criticise Gilliam that means you are wrong. He thinks he is better than you and that's it

Thats not at all like a drug trip though?

Vote Trump in 2020

Oh I will pal. Enjoy your kebabs

Hehehe

the message was , hippies suck and drugs are the work of satan and jews

It was just a trip report. The drug being hunter's america at the time.